PDA

View Full Version : I need a Router for my xbox live beta!!!

The Art Of Dyin
08-30-2002, 02:13 PM
oaky i have a 384 k dsl conenction i need a router that i can use to conenct my xbox to my internet line can anyone tell me the best router would work for me? and could u post a link of the "exact" one i hsould get? thx all:) :) :)

wweomaniac
08-30-2002, 02:21 PM
I'm not going to link you to any routers. I'm not even going to link you to anything.

But I would advise you (if you only have one PC to connect with it) to get a hub. I hub works just as well if all you wanna do is connect it to xbox live.

thejoker
08-30-2002, 02:22 PM
I like Cisco products myself. But if you are on a low budget then the Linksys DSL Router is the way to go.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5

The Art Of Dyin
08-30-2002, 02:40 PM
thanx joker BTW how much does that linksys one cost?

The Art Of Dyin
08-30-2002, 02:42 PM
wweomaniac i heard from m yfriend if i got a hub i would have to shut down my computer if i wanted to play xbox live is this true?

Ronald_mcd
08-30-2002, 03:02 PM
i have a netgear router and havn't had any problems with it

The Art Of Dyin
08-30-2002, 03:16 PM
hey can u post a link for the net gear thingy?

DrUnKtAnK
08-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by The Art Of Dyin
oaky i have a 384 k dsl conenction i need a router that i can use to conenct my xbox to my internet line can anyone tell me the best router would work for me? and could u post a link of the "exact" one i hsould get? thx all:) :) :)

Since you are a beta tester, goto the beta website on xbox.com, under support: click on 'connecting to XBOX Live', the beta team has a list of routers/hardware/solutions that you can use for reference. It will have everything listed that you need to know for setting live up.

The Art Of Dyin
08-30-2002, 03:46 PM
thx a bunch drunktank!!!!:) :) :)

Nomb
08-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Go to this thread for detailed and accurate instructions on networking the Xbox.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21265

BTW, you don't "need" a router. Check it out.

Nonny
08-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by The Art Of Dyin
wweomaniac i heard from m yfriend if i got a hub i would have to shut down my computer if i wanted to play xbox live is this true?

No thats not true, you can have all things on.

I have a laptop, Xbox, and pc running through a hub - all 3 share the same internet connection and all 3 are on.

I use the hub to play halo on gamespy arcade so what ur friend said is wrong. Its just like a usb port adds more connections to one connection.

I reccomend a hub over a router cuz its much cheaper and if all your gonna do is play Xbox Live then its worth it.

I have a netgear hub you can get it from netgear.com

Heres the one i have:

http://www.netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=3&yrp=32&zrp=21

Zion
08-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Here's the router you need, plain and simple:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10326027&loc=12260

And you do not want just a plain old hub..that's the worst thing you can do. A hub is a 'dumb' device that broadcasts all data through all the ports all the time. This means zero security and lots chatter and lag on your network.

Get the router. Do it right.

Nomb
08-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Nonny

No thats not true, you can have all things on.

I have a laptop, Xbox, and pc running through a hub - all 3 share the same internet connection and all 3 are on.

I use the hub to play halo on gamespy arcade so what ur friend said is wrong. Its just like a usb port adds more connections to one connection.

I reccomend a hub over a router cuz its much cheaper and if all your gonna do is play Xbox Live then its worth it.

This is only true if:

A) You are using software such as Sygate Home Network

or

B) Your ISP supports Multiple Dynamic IP's

or

C) You're using Static IP's

Otherwise, you will have to unplug your computer from the hub before booting the Xbox. Most Broadband Providers include only one Dynamic IP. As such, a router with NAT capabilities is needed. Or, like I said, use a hub and unplug your computer from the hub before you turn on the Xbox.

I personally like routers because there are lots of advantages and options over that of hubs or switches. Although, if this guy wants to save his money he can just unplug his Cable/DSL Modem (Must be Ethernet) from his computer and plug it into the Xbox. ;)