PDA

View Full Version : XBox games keep letting me down

xbob
08-31-2002, 02:46 AM
Okay, first I will state the PS2 sucks so you don't think I am biased....I do own one, just for GTA3.

I am getting very frustrated with my xbox. It sits with no worthy games to play on it. I have had it since the first month of launch and it's sad that the only good game is Halo nearly a year later.

Anyone else feel the games just suck? Its not the XBox's fault, its the developers releasing this junk. Microsoft better gobble up a few more Bungies of the world and get me excited about my XBox again.

Let me run thru my expierence with the titles so far:

1. Halo
2. Fever 2002 - Too arcady for me. I am a sports nut and its not my bag. Doesn't mean its a bad game....exchanged for:
3. Madden 2002 - Decent, but a ported feel and really nothing special over any system or a PC Madden.
4. Obi-Wan - Decent fun with the force powers, but another unpolished title that should have been much better. Let down. Beat it and traded in for
5. Max Payne - Colors looked washed and ported to me. I didn't give it much a chance since I figured I'd just get the real deal with it on PC. Traded in for GTA3 on PS2 (The only game worth playin on PS2)
6.rented Knockout Kings - I am a boxing nut. This game is not boxing, more like a NFL Blitz type without silly things happening. Not the xbox fault. Ea must never watch boxing. More punches are thrown in a round in this game then a normal match in life.
7.rented NFL2K3 - Very Nice game. But again, the colors looked washed out like a port and the play calling system just sucked.
8. rented Fever 2003 - Same as 2002, love how I play a whole game with my buddy to score 30+ point between us in the final 2:30 of play.
9. rented Maden 2003 - Same old madden although I didn't play it enough to really eval it.
10.rented spy hunter - had potential but again falls short.
11.rented Dead to Rights - Started off great but very frustrating in jail with the kung fu system. Turned into a button masher without much stragey. still playing though since I hope to get past and continue the fun I was having before the kung fu. I would probably rank this 2nd to halo for me.
12.rented NHL 2002 - EA turned this game into a cross from Hitz and the old EA NHL. Colors were washed once again...lol I can excuse not liking the game style (matter of taste) but the ported, washed out colors are a joke.
13.rented Hunter - Didnt play enough but fel like "Been there, done that....".
14.Morrowind - Great RPG! Nothing I couldn't play on my PC though.
15.rented 007 - Had potential if they didn't spell out everthing with the hints. How lame
16.rented Sega World Series Baseball - Ah, a decent title...I will buy next years version
17.Legends of Wrestling - Poor contol. Another one with potenial that was a big let down. I see a trend here.

Theres more but I think I am already going to get flamed enough.. I want so bad for the Xbox to excite me but it keeps coming up short. It may be time to return to PC gaming and the lame ass buying of video cards every 6 months. The last few games I finished on the PC were a blast: Diablo II, Star Trek Elite Forces, Medal of Honor. Plus I played them online for free.....hmm, leave it to Microsoft to pretend they invented something and charge bucks for it......thats another thread.

No, I will give xbox a few more chances. There are a bunch of games coming the next couple months that look great. Unreal better get here and save my xbox!

egg
08-31-2002, 02:59 AM
OK

Nonny
08-31-2002, 03:01 AM
1) Your gonna get flamed
2) i agree with you somewhat
3) Wait till Xbox Live time, and unreal etc. The real magic starts late 2002-2003

xbob
08-31-2002, 03:02 AM
Yea, I did go on a vent session there....

I can't wait for Live. And the titles coming the next few months look great. The wait is killing me.

Good news is I never played Project Gotham since Im not into racing games. May be time to check that out. Everyone seems to like it.

Dar
08-31-2002, 03:04 AM
Dude, ok, the complaints I can't really take issue with. But what do you want? PS2 with FFX and GTA3? That's all that that console has to offer. What about Gamecube and .... and...... well anyway. Xbox is the number one console. If you don't like it, just don't buy any consoles because it's all downhill.

Caliadar
08-31-2002, 03:08 AM
I hate racing games, I hate them a lot, but PGR is really really fun. Its the constant sense of progression that hooks you, always unlocking something new to play with.

Other games you should check out before dismissing the xbox...

Jet Set Radio Future - Easily the second best game on the xbox behind halo, and not far behind at that.
Enclave - A great fantasy hack and slash game with some incredible level design, tons of weapons and playable characters and some slick graphics to boot. Don't let those people *****ing about the difficulty scare you off, it really isn't all that hard.
Gunvalkyrie - A great game with a very unique control system. I suggest you rent it first, if you get the hang of the controls I guarantee you will love it.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Best beat em up game every created, on any sytem, of any generation. Yes even better then the old streets of rage games. Absolute must have if you like kicking ass.

Give those a shot, I personally think they are the cream of the xbox crop.

xbob
08-31-2002, 03:11 AM
Dar, you are right. The others are worse. I guess my expectations are too high on it. It's still early and it may live up but I am starting to push the panic button. I have been very patient....so the next few months make it or break it for me.

Nonny
08-31-2002, 03:11 AM
Yes, try these games:

Jet Set Radio Future
Rallisport Challenge
Project Gotham Racing
Dead or Alive 3
Halo
Spiderman
Turok Evolution
NFL 2k3

those are pretty good games to hold u over till Nov.

xbob
08-31-2002, 03:15 AM
Thanks Caliadar,

I definatley am getting Gotham next. And I wanted to rent Enclave / Buffy today but they were out.

Enclave has gotten some mixed reviews but its definatley my style game so I must check it out.

I read the OXM review of Buffy and it made me want to go out and buy it. I don't rely on OXM since they seem biased somewhat. Now I really want to play it. I never watched the show. Will that hurt my gaming expierence?

sinizuh
08-31-2002, 03:53 AM
you should sell your xbox and buy a dog... a dog won't let you down since they are man's best friend!

... unless your a wuss, then they will kill you

Afro Aura
08-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by xbob
Thanks Caliadar,

I definatley am getting Gotham next. And I wanted to rent Enclave / Buffy today but they were out.

Enclave has gotten some mixed reviews but its definatley my style game so I must check it out.
I'm not sure if you'll like Enclave the graphics and sound are excellent without a doubt but here is where the bubble bursts the gameplay STINKS it's just a hack and slash, I was so bored I finished the game in god mode as I wanted to see the graphic changes, I think you should definitely rent this first

I'm not sure about Buffy but I've heard good reports about it but again rent first

AmpedRider
08-31-2002, 08:50 AM
you should sell your xbox and buy a dog... a dog won't let you down since they are man's best friend!

lol lol :)

clownbow
08-31-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

I'm not sure if you'll like Enclave the graphics and sound are excellent without a doubt but here is where the bubble bursts the gameplay STINKS it's just a hack and slash, I was so bored I finished the game in god mode as I wanted to see the graphic changes, I think you should definitely rent this first

I'm not sure about Buffy but I've heard good reports about it but again rent first

yes buffy is a great game(9/10 easy),first when i started to play i said to myself oh!no here we go again(thinking it was a tomb raider clone) but then it is very unique compaired to tomb raider,i won't spoil it so that is all i will say...

Zion
08-31-2002, 09:21 AM
How can somebody talk smack on the Xbox when they haven't even tried:

Moto GP
Rallisport
Burnout
NHL Hitz
Nascar Heat
Splashdown
Red Card 2003
Outlaw Golf
Hunter

Or some of the other kick arse games out there? Get with it, man! :rolleyes:

Highlite23
08-31-2002, 10:00 AM
I can think of a few more games to add to Zion's list, but it seems to me if you own a PS2 and the only worthy game you have there is GTAIII, no system is going to fill your need.

borka105
08-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Lets look at SOME xbox EXCLUSIVES right now:

Moto Gp
Rallisport
PGR
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Buffy
Dead to Rights
Hunter the Reckoning
Halo
Munch's oddysee
Outlaw Golf
Morrowind

these are 12 exclusives that I can think of out of about 25-30 so far.

These games aside from the 100+ out are a reason to own an xbox.

Plus go to xbox.ign.com , click on release and check out the xbox release list.

Lets see you make another thread like this, after you look at that list.

I guarantee that by Sept- November you will be broke.

-Borka105

consolegamer
08-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by borka105

Moto Gp
Rallisport
PGR
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Buffy
Dead to Rights
Hunter the Reckoning
Halo
Munch's oddysee
Outlaw Golf
Morrowind

-Borka105

I couldn't have said it better myself. The Xbox has some great titles and some great titles in the works. Also, live is just up ahead so, relax and enjoy the Box. It's going to be kicking some serious ass soon. Besides, they have 2 billion dollars to play with.

Arven
08-31-2002, 10:35 AM
I feel pretty much the same. In the summer of 2001, I was very hopeful and excited about Xbox's future. Now -- another summer later -- I am looking forward again to November, only this time with less hope and more impatience. Game after game has fallen flat for me.

Granted, I'm not the easiest person to please. I don't care much for sports or fighting games, and most racing games get dull to me after a few hours. The only two Xbox games that have lived up to my expectations have been Halo and Morrowind.

Now that I've finally gotten a decent PC, I will probably be playing mostly on that, until November rolls around again.

xbob
08-31-2002, 10:41 AM

[/B]

I have and can't wait. Agree, I will be broke.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
08-31-2002, 11:19 AM
xbob, your right....you made some valid points. the disapointment factor seems to be high....but, i'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Dude, this is just the first year. This fall season is going to have some kick @ss games. I still think that microsoft is too loose with it's quality control gamewise.....

The X is here
08-31-2002, 11:24 AM
What the hell are you complaining about then if you also think ps2's games suck?!?!?! I don't get it....:eek:
And yes, i agree that xbox games are suckin, but it's not any better w/ the other 2 consoles right now...the PC, IMO, is definately the best choice....too bad i don't have enough money to upgrade my computer every yr.-yr. and a half....

Woocifer
08-31-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Arven
I feel pretty much the same. In the summer of 2001, I was very hopeful and excited about Xbox's future. Now -- another summer later -- I am looking forward again to November, only this time with less hope and more impatience. Game after game has fallen flat for me.

Granted, I'm not the easiest person to please. I don't care much for sports or fighting games, and most racing games get dull to me after a few hours. The only two Xbox games that have lived up to my expectations have been Halo and Morrowind.

Now that I've finally gotten a decent PC, I will probably be playing mostly on that, until November rolls around again.

I hate to support this idea but I feel that a lot of games lately have severely fallen short as well...and the only ones I have actually enjoyed have been games that seem to have bugs in them. Why is this accepted?? Splashdown was a game I truly enjoyed...sure its simple racing, but it looks amazing, the control is wicked and the tracks are pretty cool. Great game, but the thing crashes...

Anyway lately Buffy and Turok have been the two that have kept my attention. Other than that the past year has been somewhat dismal for quality titles. BTW I would never buy a console for a certain game...I could care less about that, I just want good games...and they aren't producing them enough right now.

Its hard to look at the release list and think which title is going to disappoint me next. I don't want to, but it happens...

xbob
08-31-2002, 11:39 AM
Arven,
Sounds like you are as picky a gamer as myself. I have been a long time gamer. I have seen/done so much, that it really takes something special to get me juiced up now.

I remember the first time I played Command and Conquer. That sucked me in or Diablo on the internet, yea! I'll never forget playing Gunship, Duke Nuke'Em, Wing Commander, Zork, Quake, X-Wing, Syndicate, Warcraft, and the list goes on and on........

Some of the developers are going backwards in their innovation or gameplay; EA Sports comes to mind.

I think the graphics whores of the gaming world have somewhat thrust this upon us. I personally will except less then cutting edge graphics when the game has other feature like an appealing story, perfect controls, and a polished feel.

But, with todays game review web sites, hype, previews, magazines, and almost instant word of mouth when its released on how it looks, the developers are scared their game will be labeled "Dated look". People will not buy it then. This results in the developer changing graphics engines multiple times during the development phase and more times than not leading to game that just doesn't play right.

A complete overhaul is okay on some type of games. FPS come to mind because you already have a basic story and weapon types all lined up. And, the FPS game basically is all about the engine and multiplayer, isn't it? Anyone with a level editor and modding skills knows how much you can carv a FPS into the game you want and others will enjoy.

Other games are more then just graphics. It takes time, effort, and skill to develop. I couldn't imagine what its like to have a complete overhaul of their main graphic code mid way thru devolping. That must throw some serious wrenches at the game's creator.

Anyways, I think most of the games I listed in my original post suffered because of the developer. Maybe my thread should have been more developer attacking then XBox pointed.

Bob

xbob
08-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
xbob, your right....you made some valid points. the disapointment factor seems to be high....but, i'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Dude, this is just the first year. This fall season is going to have some kick @ss games. I still think that microsoft is too loose with it's quality control gamewise.....

The first year on the Dreamcast seemed better to me. Then again, Sega is one of my favorite developers.

I agree, this fall is where its going to really get good.

Again, I agree. There are some Quality Control issues going on somewhere. I don't know if its Microsoft though.

xbob
08-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by The X is here
What the hell are you complaining about then if you also think ps2's games suck?!?!?! I don't get it....:eek:
And yes, i agree that xbox games are suckin, but it's not any better w/ the other 2 consoles right now...the PC, IMO, is definately the best choice....too bad i don't have enough money to upgrade my computer every yr.-yr. and a half....

Exactly, PS2 sucks and the XBox is THE console to own. But the PC is still way ahead on my list. And I am hoping that the XBox changes that so that I can leave the upgrades behind myself.

Paradox
08-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by xbob

No, I will give xbox a few more chances. There are a bunch of games coming the next couple months that look great. Unreal better get here and save my xbox!

Why would you buy Unreal Championship? Isn't that just another game you could play on your PC (like Morrowind)? I don't have a high tech computer, so, I bought Morrowind for my Xbox and I loved the game.

Also, you keep complaining about how games have a ported feeling to them. Maybe because you keep on buying ports. You didn't mention ever trying Xbox exclusive games like Project Gotham Racing, DOA3, Rallisport Challenge, or Jet Set Radio Future. I haven't played Hunter (except the demo), but lots of people seem to really love this game. It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance.

Buy the way, I thought WSB was the best baseball game ever. And games like Madden and NFL2k3 definitely look a lot better on the Xbox than on the PS2.

You kinda sound like you are just burnt out on videogames. I mean, you think that GTA3 is the only good PS2 game and that Halo is the only good Xbox game. There are a lot more great games for both systems. Or maybe you just don't care for console games and you should go back to buying a new video card every 6 months.

Nonny
08-31-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Paradox

Why would you buy Unreal Championship? Isn't that just another game you could play on your PC (like Morrowind)? I don't have a high tech computer, so, I bought Morrowind for my Xbox and I loved the game.

You answered your own question. His pc may suck also.
And Unreal Championship is Xbox Exclusive. Unreal Tournament 2003 is the PC version, theyre different.

addict733
08-31-2002, 06:00 PM
i am getting SO bored with my xbox, i want for oxm, just to see if there are any cool demos to play....but there arent. the last time i played xbox was thursday. i beat the last level of halo under legendary. and now i have.....Nothing to do.

Super Smash TV
08-31-2002, 06:13 PM
It's nice to see I'm not the only one. I own a Ps2 and Xbox, and of the two consoles, the only games I like are Halo and GTA3.

It's really hard to try new Xbox games where I live. There are only two video rental stores, and only one of them carry Xbox games(an inadequate selection at that). I disliked just about every so-called kill app I have tried for the Ps2 and only really liked GTA3 and Medal of Honor: Frontline(which is Xbox bound).

EHWfedPres
08-31-2002, 07:13 PM
XBox games keep letting me down

Hey, I got an idea...cry about it. Or better yet, dont waste our time and find games that you like.

Arven
08-31-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Hey, I got an idea...cry about it. Or better yet, dont waste our time and find games that you like.

I think a lot of people are feeling disappointed in Xbox offerings. Belittling them only makes you seem like a jerk and does nothing to address the issue.

twilla
08-31-2002, 11:04 PM
The real issue is your jadded expectations this is the summer go outside and enjoy the weather.

CanadianPimp
08-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by borka105

Moto Gp
Rallisport
PGR
Sega GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Buffy
Dead to Rights
Hunter the Reckoning
Halo
Munch's oddysee
Outlaw Golf
Morrowind

-Borka105

Let's see. This is the reason why I bought my PS2.

Ace Combat 4
HIgh Heat 2003
ATV Offroad Fury
Baldur's Gate: DA
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Dark Cloud
Devil May Cry
Dynasty Warriors 3
FFX
GT3
GTA3
Half-life
HSG3
ICO
Jak and Daxter
Dues Ex: The Consipracy
Kinetica
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Midnight Club
Moto GP2
NBA Street
Onimusha: Warlords
Onimusha 2
Red Faction
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Silent Hill 2
Smuggler's Run 2
SSX
SSX Tricky
Timesplitters
THPS3
TM: B
SOCOM
VF4
Wipeout Fuzion
Z.O.E.
Sega Sports Tennis

That's my reason for owning a PS2.

Xmun
08-31-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by CanadianPimp

Let's see. This is the reason why I bought my PS2.

Ace Combat 4
HIgh Heat 2003
ATV Offroad Fury
Baldur's Gate: DA
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Dark Cloud
Devil May Cry
Dynasty Warriors 3
FFX
GT3
GTA3
Half-life
HSG3
ICO
Jak and Daxter
Dues Ex: The Consipracy
Kinetica
Medal of Honor: Frontline
Midnight Club
Moto GP2
NBA Street
Onimusha: Warlords
Onimusha 2
Red Faction
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Silent Hill 2
Smuggler's Run 2
SSX
SSX Tricky
Timesplitters
THPS3
TM: B
SOCOM
VF4
Wipeout Fuzion
Z.O.E.
Sega Sports Tennis

That's my reason for owning a PS2.

Let's have a hearty round of applause for the mighty "Non Sequitur Man!" ladies and gents..............:p

xbob
08-31-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Paradox

The games are going to be different. Also, as I stated before, I am out of the video card upgrade buiseness. Not to mention my main reason for console gaming is to have it on a big screen while sitting on a comfy couch with friends.

Take a look at my website, www.erols.com/rmahle and tell me you wouldn't want to play some Xbox in there. :)

Also, you keep complaining about how games have a ported feeling to them. Maybe because you keep on buying ports. You didn't mention ever trying Xbox exclusive games like Project Gotham Racing, DOA3, Rallisport Challenge, or Jet Set Radio Future. I haven't played Hunter (except the demo), but lots of people seem to really love this game. It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance.

Actually, I did mention Project Gotham is next on my list. I am excited about what I've read and will buy my first racing game ever.

Hunter has potential but not for my $50. Maybe when I can get it used for $25 it will be in my collection.

Buy the way, I thought WSB was the best baseball game ever. And games like Madden and NFL2k3 definitely look a lot better on the Xbox than on the PS2.

WSB is great. I have played Earl Weaver Baseball (LOL), The original Hardball on the C64, Pete Rose's Baseball (yes, before he was banned), Old-Time Baseball, Triple Puke, and High Heat PC. It ranks 1 or 2.
There were a few bugs I think they will iron out for next year. I had it on a 5 day rental so don't hold me to this, but I seem to remember a lot of wierd over the head/back to the plate style catches in the infield. One or two would be okay but there was too many hapening in 9 innings. I also recall not being able to walk at all. But, this may have been totally a skill factor on my part and changed as I got better with the gameplay. WSB is worth $50 now. I do not like to buy the same sports games each and every year so I opted to get it next year.

You kinda sound like you are just burnt out on videogames. I mean, you think that GTA3 is the only good PS2 game and that Halo is the only good Xbox game. There are a lot more great games for both systems. Or maybe you just don't care for console games and you should go back to buying a new video card every 6 months.

You are right. I am burned out of putting up with rushed, buggy, thoughtless games. I'd rather do something else with my time.
But, put a great game in front of me and I can't think of many things I'd rather do.