PDA

View Full Version : Wow...just played a great game..

Coloradus
08-31-2002, 12:18 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

For the last couple of days, I have been playing a game that has me all giddy with excitement.

Mafia for the PC is perhaps one of the finest games (console or PC) I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It's simply an incredible game.

Mafia combines best elements of GTA3, Hitman, Max Payne and what Gangsters2 should have been and packaged it with meticulous love and care.

The whole 1930's ambience is a total hoot. The type of gangster back then were 'gentlemanly' in manner, not like the thugs in GTA3. Very Cool.

Graphics are some of the best out there. Little novel ideas that seem to be forgotten in most games are here.

For once, peole park their cars and get out. Passing a car sharply causes the other driver to flash his headlights and curse. The interaction of passenger(s) in 'free-mode' passengers te you to slow down or duck down when being fired upon. The idea of not being able to hide one big weapon in your coat without being noticed. You can shoot tires one at a time to prevent a chase. People actually wait and get on trains and trolleys. You swing your weapons harder the longer you 'wind' up.

Shoot a driver in a another car and watch the driver slump backward as his car limps slowly forwards into a wall or bush.

Being able to finally shoot out of windows in drive-by mode. Having to physically raise and aim your weapon before you fire. Having the ability to look inside buildings or houses. A living, breathing crowded world is perfectly replicated. Drivers flash their headlights in tunnels. The noticeable incline as you drive up and hill or a bridge.

People and cars no longer disappear when you look the other way. This was something that bothered me in GTA3. In GTA3, when you spotted a car that you wanted to jack down the street, it would disappear if you even slightly 'looked' the other way. Not so in this game.

I know many of these features may seem small and trivial, but it's the little things done right that make Mafia such a great game. Bravo to the devolopers.

Car chases hardly go past 75mph (you actual get pulled over for driving past 40mph!)..but they are incredible to watch. Car physics are more than acceptable.

I wasn't to sure about this game when I first tried it..I had played GTA3 for the PC to death. But the moment you boot it up, it takes a hold of you by the collar and doesn't let go.

As you can obviosly tell, I'm very fond of this game. If you have a fairly fast PC, I wholeheartily recommend you pick up Mafia. If not, xbox version should suit you just as well.

Slacker
08-31-2002, 12:28 PM
That sounds cool , is it coming to XBOX, I think I remember reading soemthing about it or seeing it on list of upcoming games maybe????

Coloradus
08-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
That sounds cool , is it coming to XBOX, I think I remember reading soemthing about it or seeing it on list of upcoming games maybe????

Strange.....

I also remember seeing it on EB's list. As of now, I can't find it on their site.

Perhaps it was pushed back? I'm hoping it's still coming out for the box.

If the PC version is any indication of what's in store, then we xboxers are in for a treat!

Plewis
08-31-2002, 01:04 PM
welcome to XBA... or at least the posting part:) game sounds pretty cool

EHWfedPres
08-31-2002, 07:11 PM
I played a great game today too...NHL Hitz.

ice_141
09-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Yes, I am pretty sure this game is coming out for xbox. It looks amazing. The graphics are top notch, the character models are great as well. I can only hope it WILL indeed come to xbox.

Super Smash TV
09-01-2002, 12:54 PM
It should be out for the Xbox in October, but I'm not sure.

thebox466
09-01-2002, 12:57 PM
this will make gta 3 look like elmo's abc's in the game and violence aspect.

hook-worm J
09-01-2002, 01:40 PM
I saw this game (PC) reviewed at IGN the other day... indeed it sounds and looks awesome.

Super Smash TV
09-01-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm actually pretty concerned now. I did some searching on Yahoo, and I couldn't find any real information and barely any confirmation of Mafia for the Xbox. Neither Gamespot nor IGN said anything about an Xbox version. Could somebody provide a link or something to prove it? I went to www.godgames.com and couldn't find any information of future release dates.

DVDGNZ
09-02-2002, 06:59 AM
I found these links but they aren't too reliable.

http://xbox.gamezone.com/gamesell/p15501.htm

http://pub6.ezboard.com/fgamerszone64493frm15.showMessage?topicID=497.topic

FuNkY mOnK
09-02-2002, 08:45 AM
I’m going to pick this up from what I hear in this thread, but if it sucks it’s gonna be {bada bing, bada boom} you got me.

krustyrusty
09-02-2002, 03:17 PM
I just went to that gamezone.com link and clicked the "buy now" button. It says ETA 3/11/03 for XBOX. But I've never heard of gamestop.com so who knows how reliable that is.

ice_141
09-02-2002, 03:29 PM
You've never heard of Gamestop? Man, thats where like everyone buys their games.

Coloradus
09-03-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
I’m going to pick this up from what I hear in this thread, but if it sucks it’s gonna be {bada bing, bada boom} you got me.

LOL

Well then, I hoping you'll like it.

DVDGNZ
09-05-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by ice_141
You've never heard of Gamestop? Man, thats where like everyone buys their games.

Haha! No $hit! Maybe he means Gamezone.com?