PDA

View Full Version : I must recant my opinion of Turok: Revolution

consolegamer
09-01-2002, 08:20 AM
After hearing how bad it was (and saying how bad it was) and myself saying acclaim couldn't make a decent game, again I ran into the (so i thought) crappy piece of software at a friends house. I said I couldn't believe his brother bought it. Me and 7 other friends sat around in his living room slamming back a few and the game was catching my eye every so often. I then asked if i could have a try ( just for the hell of it) and so I was off playing this ****ty game( so i thought ) called Turok. 1/2 hour passed and i'm still playing. Then an hour went by and before you know it, i played the game for 4 and 1/2 hours, using the level skip option and putting the game through various tests of playability. I even played some deathmatches with my friends as well. I couldn't have been more wrong about this game. THIS GAME ROCKS!!! IMO, it looks better than HALO in alot of ways,though the AI isn't as good (it's good none the less). The scoping of your enemies and not to mention the dinosaurs in game look amazing. The pyros in this game (and weapons) beat HALO's hands down!!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW WRONG I WAS ABOUT THIS GAME. I'm going to buy it today when gamestop opens at 11:00. I think it's definately one of the best Xbox games released to date. I myself am shocked about such a drastic change in opinion. I will go as far as to say that the game is revolutionary in it's own right. 3 years in development, hand painted pastelle backgrounds , awesome weapons and many other great things I could say about this GREAT title. Damn, i feel like such a jerk. Acclaim CAN make a great game. :confused:

By the way, I might just buy it at Toys R Us . It's closer and I know I won't be taking it back at all!!! That's how much I love this game

split511
09-01-2002, 08:38 AM
good post, I'm glad to here you are enjoying the game. I was at BB yesterday looking for 2 games to rent and I saw this but because of all of the negative comments about this game going around I decided I should stay clear of this game. Well....maybe I made a mistake. This game did intrest me when it first was introduced so maybe I will give it a shot. The only thing that bothers me is that I heard the graphics are really bad. Is this true? I know I may sounds likes a graphics whore but in a way I am. I mean part of the reason I got xbox was for the better graphics.

consolegamer
09-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by split511
good post, I'm glad to here you are enjoying the game. I was at BB yesterday looking for 2 games to rent and I saw this but because of all of the negative comments about this game going around I decided I should stay clear of this game. Well....maybe I made a mistake. This game did intrest me when it first was introduced so maybe I will give it a shot. The only thing that bothers me is that I heard the graphics are really bad. Is this true? I know I may sounds likes a graphics whore but in a way I am. I mean part of the reason I got xbox was for the better graphics.

Put it this way:
I won't own a game that has bad graphics! Turok has excellent graphics and you can see well into the distance. For instance I looked up and saw a bridge about 1000 feet in the air. I searched around and found a path to follow, killing along the way and I actually reached it. It was freaking awesome. I appologize to you and others, as I was also one to drag down Turok. Their are 15 chapters, but when I reached the bridge( i forget what chapter) the chapters are broken up into bigger pieces,so it actually feels like more

By the way, some people were only basing their graphical opinions on the first 2 levels, but when I seen them I didn't think they looked bad. Look at the looped levels in HALO with the diamond shapes to follow. Now that's crappy level design. The latter levels (and all as far as I'm concerned) in Turok kick ass!!!

If HALO's Graphics were a 9, then Turok's are a 10. HALO's latter levels were all the same textures. Not in Turok my friend!!! You just never know what you might run into. Everything is different. You could be going down a dirt path one minute, turn the corner and find (GIGANTIC) dinosaurs knocking down trees and eating and a huge tower with many steps. I can't wait to have it in my hands.:D

RPGr
09-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Check out my (and other) impressions of Turok in the New Release Forum . :p

consolegamer
09-01-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by RPGr
Check out my (and other) impressions of Turok in the New Release Forum . :p

Right on Brother!!!

ScorpionX
09-01-2002, 09:48 AM
Exactly what I was thinking when I bought it. I saw the demo and I thought it sucked but then I played it and I couldn't believe how wrong I was. This game is really fun and its a good alternative to Halo. :cool:

I have been playing for about 8 hours or so and reviewed the game. :)

BORNGD
09-01-2002, 11:37 AM
u said u used the level skip to get a feel of the game, but i am curious did u notice the difficulty level of the game??? how big the levels are? i might go get this game today but i want to know if it has a challenge like halo did

GaMMa
09-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Dude I'm going to get this game :) Yay I think it'll make a good birthday present.. Me and my friends are getting sick of Halo multiplayer so this would break it up. Plus I wouldn't mind some single player goodness... Does this game have co-op? I remember Turok 2 didn't have coop officially, but a gameshark code could enable it...

thebox466
09-01-2002, 12:39 PM
i dont give a **** what everyone says anyway... i am still trying out the game

ScorpionX
09-01-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
Dude I'm going to get this game :) Yay I think it'll make a good birthday present.. Me and my friends are getting sick of Halo multiplayer so this would break it up. Plus I wouldn't mind some single player goodness... Does this game have co-op? I remember Turok 2 didn't have coop officially, but a gameshark code could enable it...

No, it doesnt't have coop, but multiplayer is very fun.

consolegamer
09-01-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by BORNGD
u said u used the level skip to get a feel of the game, but i am curious did u notice the difficulty level of the game??? how big the levels are? i might go get this game today but i want to know if it has a challenge like halo did

Yes. The challenge is definately there. It picks up as you progress. The levels are very non-linear, which means you don't always follow a set path,especially after chapters 3 and four(I believe). The chapters are very long, and are broken up in different parts,so they seem very long.

Woocifer
09-01-2002, 12:49 PM
I agree the game has a fun factor that you should pay attention to...but great graphics? I wouldn't push that around... The graphics in this game look like the were under developed. When you use the scope on the pistol the game slows down considerable, the frame rate decreases...

Some of the dinosaurs dont even have faces, the water is flat shaded...pastel backgrounds aren't at all pretty, it looks like a flat shaded model.

Quake 2 looked better than this game in a lot of ways. But I still think the game is pretty fun. Game good, graphics bad.

EHWfedPres
09-01-2002, 01:07 PM
who gives a flying crap what the visuals are like...staring at the wall or the floor will not get you anything in the game. Just because it dosent look good dosent mean it's not good...

XslayerX
09-01-2002, 01:22 PM
I am in love with this game, I needed a new multiplayer FPS game, and this is it. It has mor emodes than halo, and who cares if it dont have biots? Halo dont, I dont see any1 *****in.

thebox466
09-01-2002, 01:29 PM
its OK, i played it out my friends house

Mercury
09-01-2002, 02:16 PM
Turok is fantastic. The amount of different weapons in it is insane! In that aspect it kills Halo.

The action is loads of fun and there is just no denying the satisfaction of shooting someone with a poison arrow and watching him puke like mad.

Today I play multiplayer for the first time and I love it! The maps are well done and there are the right size so that you aren't always in a fire fight. Makes for some excellent hiding and ambush tactics.

ScorpionX
09-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Mercury
Turok is fantastic. The amount of different weapons in it is insane! In that aspect it kills Halo.

The action is loads of fun and there is just no denying the satisfaction of shooting someone with a poison arrow and watching him puke like mad.

Today I play multiplayer for the first time and I love it! The maps are well done and there are the right size so that you aren't always in a fire fight. Makes for some excellent hiding and ambush tactics.

Some of the maps in MP are just amazing! A few have dinosaurs and monkeys in them that attack you so you will need a good stategy. Also the coolest level is the one that has the bunkers because if you hit the switch, your opponent will be bombed from above. I love this game ;) :p ;) :p ;)

MerimacHamwich
09-01-2002, 02:28 PM
Why don't they put bots in games? That is retarded. Perfect Dark had amazing multiplayer and the Bots was a main part of it. I tihnk it is pathetic on the developers part for them not to include bots. Bots only enhance the fun of the game. Instead of playing with 4 characters you can play with 10. Without bots you have to play online or lan in order to have that many characters playing. BOTS are a must have for a good multiplayer game IMO.

consolegamer
09-01-2002, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woocifer
[B]I agree the game has a fun factor that you should pay attention to...but great graphics? I wouldn't push that around... The graphics in this game look like the were under developed.

I don't know what kind of television you use to play your games on, but I think the graphics kick ass!!!I am playing through a 36" via s-video and the graphics look sweet! I also think it utilizes the hard drive better than HALO. There is none of them annoying pauses during gameplay(that I've seen anyways). By the way alot of people think the dinosaurs in the game are stupid. Let me tell you something about that. I shot at a Raptor and he ran the hell after me. Some of the dinosaurs in the game don't eat meat, so obviously they won't chase you.

EHWfedPres
09-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Why don't they put bots in games? That is retarded. Perfect Dark had amazing multiplayer and the Bots was a main part of it. I tihnk it is pathetic on the developers part for them not to include bots. Bots only enhance the fun of the game. Instead of playing with 4 characters you can play with 10. Without bots you have to play online or lan in order to have that many characters playing. BOTS are a must have for a good multiplayer game IMO.

I could not possibly agree more. If you dont have anyone to play with, you can always add a few bots and go to work...and the missions will surley get boring quite quickly as they do in every game...Bots should be added in every single multiplayer game.

consolegamer
09-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

I could not possibly agree more. If you dont have anyone to play with, you can always add a few bots and go to work...and the missions will surley get boring quite quickly as they do in every game...Bots should be added in every single multiplayer game.

Ya. If bots were added, it would be the best FPS for Xbox. As it stands, I like this better than HALO