PDA

View Full Version : A good steering wheel?

sports10
09-01-2002, 11:47 AM
So i been looking around for good steering wheels for the xbox. I am thinking of gettining that mad cats one for $60 cause I want to get sega Gt 2002. I was wonderin if anyone could give me feedback of which ones they used and if there are suppos to be any good new ones coming out any time soon.Thanks.

Zion
09-01-2002, 03:22 PM
I have the Mad Catz wheel that is made for Xbox/GC/PS2.

I love the wheel, but there are two things I hate about it:

1) The console keeps 'losing' contact with it. It pauses the game and tells you to plug in the controller. This happens about every 10 minutes. On the other hand, it also happens with most 3rd party controllers.

2) It does not use a breakaway cable, so there is no way to extend the cable. If you don't need a cable extension anyway, it does not matter. But I sit about 12 feet away and need the extention. Now I have to pull my Xbox out of my stereo rack which I hate doing, which is why I got controller extention cables in the first place.

Other than that, the Mad Catz is a great wheel. I like the fact that I can use one wheel with all three systems.

Professor Kaos
09-01-2002, 05:08 PM
i found this one http://a177.g.akamai.net/3/177/2200/7a9468609f/www.samgoody.com/SamGoody/tmgcover200/08/728658045203.jpg and http://a177.g.akamai.net/3/177/2200/dd0ff918ec/www.samgoody.com/SamGoody/tmgcover200/08/745938035532.jpg both at the samgoody webstie.

P-Rock
09-03-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Zion
I have the Mad Catz wheel that is made for Xbox/GC/PS2.

I love the wheel, but there are two things I hate about it:

1) The console keeps 'losing' contact with it. It pauses the game and tells you to plug in the controller. This happens about every 10 minutes. On the other hand, it also happens with most 3rd party controllers.

2) It does not use a breakaway cable, so there is no way to extend the cable. If you don't need a cable extension anyway, it does not matter. But I sit about 12 feet away and need the extention. Now I have to pull my Xbox out of my stereo rack which I hate doing, which is why I got controller extention cables in the first place.

Other than that, the Mad Catz is a great wheel. I like the fact that I can use one wheel with all three systems.

Crap, I was seriously considering about buying the MC2 wheel. Are you sure it doesnt have some kind of extension cable?

Kingpin
09-03-2002, 04:42 PM
http://a177.g.akamai.net/3/177/2200/dd0ff918ec/www.samgoody.com/SamGoody/tmgcover200/08/745938035532.jpg

I just wrote a long review of this wheel but it got messed up and I am too tired to write it all out again. So, here's a summary.

+ Best wheel available.
+ Best analog control of any wheel.
+ More solid than other wheels. More precision.
+ Only $18
= Takes a little getting used to
- No shifter (Get MC2 if you want to shift)
- Buttons are not very good
(Level of control outweighs button limitation.)

9/10

[MC2 - I would give a 7.5/10 - fun but won't help your driving]
[Standard controller - I would give a 8/10 for racing]

I highly recommend this wheel (but recognize its limitations).
I got 425,000 Kudos in PGR with this wheel (only had 317,000 before it)
'The Source' World champion RSC driver also swears by this controller.

BullitNC
09-03-2002, 07:52 PM
How does it work? Does it use a level system, like mercury or something?

Kingpin
09-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by BullitNC
How does it work? Does it use a level system, like mercury or something?

No its nothing strange like that.
It's just a standard mechanical thing.
You hold the right side steady and the left side can rotate relative to the right side. So, you are steering with your left hand - the right hand just holds on to it.

Yeah - at first I thought it was some kind of gyroscope thing - but its nothing weird like that.

Hugh_Jass
09-04-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm holding out for a force feedback wheel.

BullitNC
09-04-2002, 01:08 PM
The Madcatz MC2 will have to do for now, since I just bought one.

Kortiz
09-07-2002, 09:45 PM
i have one for my DC, it is a madcats wheel, the one that you put on your legs and steer, it sucked because i am agressive with my steering and it keeps hurting my legs with those plastic things that hold to your thighs, and the suction cups suck too......i want one that i can put on a table and bolt it on some how, for more sturdyness

Mr. Kwik
09-14-2002, 01:24 PM
Think.... Act-Labs . They only make the best just wish x box supported it. I have one for my pc and my ps2.

Hugh_Jass
09-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Kwik
Think.... Act-Labs . They only make the best just wish x box supported it. I have one for my pc and my ps2.

Exactly! I have the Force/RS and we're still waiting for the XBOX adapter almost a year after launch. One of the reasons I bought this wheel was its claim to be a "universal" device with the proper adapter. Please, ACT LABS, do not ignore the XBOX fans!

Mr. Kwik
09-16-2002, 11:48 PM
I also have the force rs. This wheel rocks! If you dont have one, everything else is just a toy. I am eagerly anticipating the release of the x-box cartridge and have got the one for my ps2 but unfortunately it still wont work with Gran Turismo 3, something about the developers (polyphony digital) only made Gt3 compatible with the logitech force wheel. I also have one of them and like it too but its just a toy in comparison. I was hoping that Gt2002 would compare to gt3 but didn't even come close, dont get me wrong its still fun but its just basically an arcade game.