PDA

View Full Version : ok, bottom line. turok a go or no go?

ice_141
09-01-2002, 12:14 PM
is this game worth the buy or not? please say why too.

lllSmokelll
09-01-2002, 12:28 PM
I dont know cause ive never played it...but most reviews dont give it very good scores...id stay away from this one :)

ice_141
09-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Anyone else?

thebox466
09-01-2002, 03:17 PM
rent it and try it out first

ice_141
09-01-2002, 03:19 PM
I dont rent due to the fact that my blockbuster really messed my DC up from the scratched discs. I just want users opinions, that's all.

Tinny
09-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Dunno mate. I was hoping that this would be loved by the majority but many people are split by this game. So far there are more "loves" than "hates" but it still feels like a love or hate game to me, which is a risky venture. Most people commented on the gameplay being similiar to Halo but with much more weapons and secondary functions to each of them. Some had said the graphics are out standing and even better then Halo's (well I have to see that for myself!) and others said it's comparable to N64 graphics. Really mixed reactions. I was hoping for a demo of it but that won't happen anytime soon so I might rent it. And well if I buy it I can always go back for a refund after a week (gives me more time to play instead of renting it for a few days). Lucky there's still a few more days till it comes out here before I decide. I will be checking plenty of in-game demos and trailers as soon as I can find them.

XslayerX
09-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Buy it. Also, to the guy who said about reviews, dont judge it untill you play it, Jesus man. But I bought it , even when I heard bad reviews, and I love it. This game is addicting as hell, but also hard. Multi-player is the best, if you like multiplayer games to play with friends, get it asap. Single player is really neat, the graphics are ok but the game is just amazing. Get it

ScorpionX
09-01-2002, 04:18 PM
I think you should rent it first, but I wrote a review on it, check that out. ;) :p ;) :p

The X is here
09-01-2002, 11:32 PM
I'd rent it also because i don't know what kinda game you like....you MIGHT enjoy this game....
But i was incredibly let-down by it....but i thinks that's because i hyped it up in my head WAY too much and Halo has also set an incredibly large standard for an FPS for me...
There was nothing special about the game or anything that makes me think "Next Generation"...i don't know...i'm a HUGE fan of Turok, but i think Acclaim could of done a much better job w/ the game...especially on the xbox (and other next gen. consoles)

EHWfedPres
09-01-2002, 11:38 PM
The ONLY way you will know wether or not you will like a game is to play it for yourself.

teddeboy
09-02-2002, 12:04 AM
I agree with the quote below wholeheartedly. You're not going to know if you like it until you try it.

I read a lot of nasty posts written by people who played it for only a few hours and said 'oh man, it sucks'. But then I read from other players who actually sunk some time into it that they loved it.

So I went and bought it. You know what ? It's an excellent game. If you're expecting a Halo killer, well you're not going to get that. But it's a great game on its own. However, expect to spend about 2 hours getting through chapters 1 and 2, which are training levels for the rest of the game. It's not that they are hard levels, they are just tedious and long, thus ensuring you get a ton of practice with the controls. I think they could've been shorter, but the flying lessons are a great help.

Once you get into Chapter 3, the game gets serious. You'll now really need to decide what weapons to use at what point in the game. Especially with a T-rex bearing down on you with all its fury.

The graphics are great in my mind. They are right up there with Halo, and the effect of the environment behaving like one (trees swaying in the breeze, grass moving as you walk through it, butterflies being blown around by strong winds, etc.) It actually surpasses halo's environment in some ways. If you look at your player's hand and weapon, they are almost photo-realistic. Enemies are well detailed, especially through the sniper scopes on the tek-bow and pistol.

I really have only two complaints:
1- the aiming (unless you auto-aim) is slightly off. Unless you use the scope, are get in close to your enemy, you're not going to hit him (unless you aim for the meatier parts of the body). It's frustrating to be 100% sure I'm gonna frag a lizard man, and miss completely.

2- the AI is weak at times. Sometimes, it is very scripted, and others it's a bit more loose. When it's scripted, you can REALLY feel it, and it's easy to kill enemies if you know their patterns. However, when it's a bit looser (like the late-level ambush in chapter 3), it gets good ! That ambush is still kicking my a$$.

And when you shoot some of the "bad guys", they all respond the same way. Snipers just freak out and try to surrender (the drop their weapon after your first shot so you can just walk on by 'em) and the main 'grunt fighters' will just keep trying to fight toe-to-toe with you if you nail them anywhere but in the head.

If you're afraid to rent a game, I don't know what to tell you. I'd suggest just going out and buying it, but I understand not everyone has $50 on hand to buy whatever game they want. But I think it was a good purchase.

Originally posted by EHWfedPres
The ONLY way you will know wether or not you will like a game is to play it for yourself.

XslayerX
09-02-2002, 08:19 AM
The guy above me, no1 could of said that better than you. Also, i quoted that guy who said the only way you will know if you like a game is to play it your self.

Snapple
09-02-2002, 08:32 AM
this game didnt even come out yet but i would say rent it:)

EHWfedPres
09-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Turok is out.

teddeboy
09-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Most stores got it last thursday. I picked it up right away, been playing it ever since.

We just played about an hour in multilplayer yesterday and it's a good game in multi , too. Though definitely try out all the levels before you invite friends over for multiplayer, we found a few that were just too danged frustrating (esepcially the 'tree fort' one with raptors on the ground). The spider mine is VERY flaky in multiplayer, I'd suggest not using it.

Originally posted by xboxfan38
this game didnt even come out yet but i would say rent it:)

xboxtito
09-03-2002, 12:23 PM
i got the game last week at EB and is great i say get it :eek:

studepaber
09-03-2002, 12:26 PM
I have it for GC and based on that version I'd say wait for better FPS'ers to come out unless you're really a hardcore fan of the Turok series. If you want a good multiplayer game wait for Timesplitters 2 to come out, looks like there's more options there.

Mercury
09-03-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
I have it for GC and based on that version I'd say wait for better FPS'ers to come out unless you're really a hardcore fan of the Turok series. If you want a good multiplayer game wait for Timesplitters 2 to come out, looks like there's more options there.

The only thing Timesplitters2 has over Turok in multiplayer is the system link. Other than that, multiplayer in Turok is fantastic. Tons of options. And it doesn't have that retarded targeting system.

If you love FPS you MUST get Turok. It's fantastic.

consolegamer
09-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Mercury

The only thing Timesplitters2 has over Turok in multiplayer is the system link. Other than that, multiplayer in Turok is fantastic. Tons of options. And it doesn't have that retarded targeting system.

Yes. Turok kicks ass!!!

Radar
09-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Turok is a very good FPS. I'm having a blast playing it. (On Chapter 4 right now.)

studepaber
09-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mercury

From what I've played though the framerate drops considerably and it's VERY hard to see each other unless you're standing right in front of someone. Maybe it's just with the GC version with it's lush graphics :confused: Just out of curiousity how do you compare Turok's multiplayer to Agent Under Fire's?