PDA

View Full Version : Just an angry gamer ranting...

ecco
09-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Before I go into this, I would like to state that I do indeed love my Xbox. I bought it the day of launch and don't regret that.. maybe.

Okay, so here's the deal: Everything started about 2 years ago when I first read about Xbox. At first I found it to be just another console and it didn't catch my interest. Soon after, I was introduced to Halo. Wow, how amazing it looked. After seeing the speculated prices on what the Xbox was going to cost (I remember some being as high as $400(US)), I started to save any money I had coming in, which isn't alot for a high school kid who doesn't work.

Saving wasn't the big thing, because as I had a long enough time. Between the day of Xbox's release and the time I started saving, I saw a lot of amazing games that were in the works. I remember learning about Project Ego for the first time, wow was I amazed. Then I learned about Xbox's online support, broadband only. I thought that was great. What could be better for someone who already has broadband service than to just be able to plug it in and game? Well, aparently, simple PC gaming.

With that said, it brings me to the point of this post: When I first learned I would need to subscribe to Xbox Live!, I was a bit sketchy. I didn't like the idea of having to fork over $50 for the kit and $120 for every year after. But after a while, I got used to the idea and accepted it. Until now, that is.

I was looking up some Xbox PSO news about an hour ago when I learned you need to subscribe for a "hunters pass" with the Japanese version. Yes, I'm aware there is no evidence that this will happen with the US version. However, that's not the point. The fact that even one game will make you pay to play after all you already have to. I was willing to shell roughly $700 for my Xbox on the day of launch. Now, they're trying to get the price of the console down to $150. How fair is that?

I'm sorry, fellow gamers, but I won't be joining you in the world of Xbox Live!. I'm simply not ready to spend so much money to play online games. That's what my PC is for. And you know, even if it's only PSO, that's still a lot. I loved PSO on the Dreamcast. I still play it from time to time. But to have to pay for a license to play after all I've already spent... sorry, that's where it ends.

I don't really feel like being flamed. If you disagree with my views, be civil in replies or don't reply at all.

~ Chris

hook-worm J
09-01-2002, 07:08 PM
Most games you will not have to pay extra to play them. Just the XBL subscription fee. You may also want to check your sources too. There are a lot of rumors going around.

And as far as paying almost $700 for your Xbox at launch... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was only $300. And if you were including games, controllers, ect in the price, then that doesn't count. Why? because games, controllers, ect are still the same price.

Sadly I cant get XBL b/c broadband isn't availible in my area. But I'll really miss you when I do get it. :)

ecco
09-01-2002, 07:18 PM
I was talking as a whole, all my games and such. And if you want, check the Sega PSO Japanese site (if you can read it). It's just kinda sick that Microsoft can magically get the Xbox's price down by 50% before it's first birthday. I dunno, I'm just ****ed at the moment. For the longest time I've felt sorry for Sega. But now, they deserve whatever they get. They'd of made more money just leaving PSO non-pay-for-play. I wonder how it'll do in Japan.. probably the same as here (if we do indeed get the 'hunters pass' plan).

~ Chris

mmichael0
09-01-2002, 11:42 PM
I think I can see your point & I also will not get XBox Live as I have not got the money for it , broadband.
But also the Internet is mostly going to the Pay service rather than free with ads , I did like playing Dreamcast games online for free (ChuChu Rocket , Plant Ring where free in Europe ) but as so many internet comapnys are finding it very hard to make a profit/income then IMHO this will happen more but hopefull you would only have to pay once for it & Sega / Microsoft will work this out for the USA.
:rolleyes:

Ulchie
09-02-2002, 01:31 AM
good m8
now we have more bandwidth on the servers lol
:)

huskerman44
09-02-2002, 02:31 AM
As far as you being mad about the price going down since launch, try looking at other things such as computer prices, etc...

Prices of technology fall all the time.

Hell, I spent $1900 on my computer that at the time was damn near top of the line. P4, 256MB RDRAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB Vid card, blah blah blah.

Now I could get the same thing for much, much lower than that.
Don't blame it on MS, it's the way the world works.