PDA

View Full Version : Omfg!!! Microsoft Buys Rare!!!

faceoff508
09-02-2002, 04:42 PM
17:18 UK sources indicated today that the long-rumoured Microsoft take-over move on Rare may be imminent. Insiders have now set a price of £350 million for the developer, which at the moment is owned by Nintendo to the tune of 49 percent of its stock.

Rare refused to comment on the speculation today.

The news is looking likely to be a jigsaw piece that slots in nicely to make a final, Rare-shaped picture. Talk is heating up today regarding an apparently huge announcement at Microsoft's X02 event in Seville later this month, which will be specifically software related. Rumour has been constant recently regarding the next Perfect Dark game heading exclusively to Xbox. See what we mean?

More. Chatter of the Stamper brothers, founders of the developer, looking to sell up has been circulating for more than a year. It's now widely well known that Activision looked seriously at buying the outfit earlier this year, but British sources this morning hinted that Rare was simply too rich for the publisher's blood.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. Exactly the same talk emerged when Activision was looking over the company's book.

Even more. Rare appears to have cancelled two projects recently, removing the links to the games from the company's website. "It's simply due to updating the site," said Rare by way of explanation last month. Still "updating" then, are you boys? Apparently so.

"There's one guy running the website here," said a Rare employee today. "He's got fairly minimal support, so he's doing all of that at the same time as doing all the instruction books.

The games are still under development, the source added. Current speculation suggests the titles are being doctored to remove Donkey Kong, a Nintendo property, from the games.

Obviously, there's more. When questioned on the state of Nintendo's relationship with Rare at E3 this year, Nintendo heavyweights would only say that the only Rare game being shown for GameCube was Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur planet because that was the only title coming out in this financial year. Then they said refused to say anything else. We suggest you look carefully at the huge gaps between these lines.

While Microsoft remained unavailable for comment today, don't expect this to go away. As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know.

Patrick Garratt
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=79789

--------------------------------

If this is true, then I am in heaven!!

GeNeRaL AcE
09-02-2002, 04:45 PM
w00t

hiter101
09-02-2002, 04:49 PM
wats so good about rare? wat games did they make?

Ulchie
09-02-2002, 04:50 PM
goldeneye and perfect dark
the 2 best games for the n64
cant believe u dont know about them

flyrus
09-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Not surprised...Microsoft buys everything.....Microsoft already bought Bungie....This is no biggie.

Ulchie
09-02-2002, 04:55 PM
ya well sony and nintendo did the same thing when they started man
so dont be like that
MS buys everything blah blah blah
so did the other companies
its called trying to compete

faceoff508
09-02-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Ulchie
goldeneye and perfect dark
the 2 best games for the n64
cant believe u dont know about them

We are still not getting Donkey Kong cause Nintendo owns the rights for it. Also some other characters like Kameo is owned by Nintnedo, but were made by Rare.

Ulchie
09-02-2002, 05:00 PM
i didnt like DK
but I did like perfect dark and goldeneye and banjo kazooie was also cool
thats another game that rare owns the license for so no having nintendo make em put it on their system and noone elses

flyrus
09-02-2002, 05:01 PM
Yea, DK was a pervert. It makes the Nintendo dirtier.

Ulchie
09-02-2002, 05:03 PM
huh???lol?? hehe:D

Slacker
09-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Good hopefully they re-release Golden Eye and Perfect dark as a Classics edition on the same disk for like 20 bucks I would buy it to play Golden eye on xbox

Dar
09-02-2002, 05:13 PM
I don't get it. Is Microsoft buying Rare from Nintendo? If Nintendo owns 49% of Rare them Microsoft will have to buy 51% of Rare to have a controlling stake. There's no way in hell it would be exclusive to either system. I'm not so sure about this article.:confused:

VenoM
09-02-2002, 06:22 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :confused: :( :confused: dont want them leaving nintendo!!! ...oh well i guess i'll be okay since i have a xbox and GC and soon a ps2

mrmp3
09-02-2002, 06:32 PM
I'd seriously love to play PD on the Xbox that would kick ass. I don't think Rare has the rights to use Goldeneye anymore but I dunno for sure. Signing off...

ice_141
09-02-2002, 06:35 PM
I'm elated...:o

Not really, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, woo hoo, Nightfire is supposed to be even better than Golden Eye, so that doesnt matter to me. Those are the only two game I'm aware of that were good, and I ddint even like Perfect Dark.

VAN
09-02-2002, 07:07 PM
Ahem.

Microsoft has NOT purchased Rare. They are in the process of negotiating a deal, but they do NOT own rare...yet.

Thread title is a bit mis-leading. :)

The X is here
09-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ice_141
Not really, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark, woo hoo, Nightfire is supposed to be even better than Golden Eye, so that doesnt matter to me.
uhhh....nightfire better than goldeneye?!? Which of your sources said it's supposed to be better? Yeah, sounds like you've OBVIOUSLY played the other 3 bond games by EA...:rolleyes:
That statement's like saying Timesplitters 2 is supposed to be better than Halo....
EA Ports? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight;)

Air X.N.
09-02-2002, 07:20 PM
This is good news if true. Goldeneye and PD were awsome on N64. PD would be a welcome edition to the Xbox family. With any luck in a few years, Nintendo will be strickly a Dev. for Microsofts Xbox 2. :cool:

redrum237
09-02-2002, 07:31 PM
I hope perfect dark comes to XBOX, its needs more FPS:(

EHWfedPres
09-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Perfect Dark is cool cause you can have a bunch of bots, but Goldeneye sucks IMO. I hate that game.

And whoever has the Splinter Cell sig...i thought that was a real person for a second. :D

The Hitman
09-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Xbox wouldn't have Goldeneye or a remake of it would they since EA has the Bond license?

nemesYs
09-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Who cares about Goldeneye.. Perfect Dark was like 10 times better than that game... if PD comes to the XBox.. that will be enourmous news.. and EXTREMELY good for the xbox's future

nico [txb]
09-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Ulchie
i didnt like DK

DK for the super nintendo was awesome. DK 64 sucked and was nothing like the snes title.

morfeeis
09-02-2002, 10:48 PM
get the check signed already dam.

Citainus
09-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Dar
I don't get it. Is Microsoft buying Rare from Nintendo? If Nintendo owns 49% of Rare them Microsoft will have to buy 51% of Rare to have a controlling stake. There's no way in hell it would be exclusive to either system. I'm not so sure about this article.:confused:

It would buy the 51% not owned by Nintendo...effectively making it under MS control O_o...

Fluff E
09-03-2002, 05:18 AM
they make conkers bad fur day thats a sweet game i hope they make a squel or something...:cool:

proto_K
09-03-2002, 08:36 AM
http://www.kinox.org/jcemunews/img/emu/k01.jpg

whatsyourprob?
09-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Rare made KI ??? i would buy that game in a heartbeat... even a port from way back when.

SlightlySycho
09-03-2002, 10:59 AM
The true excitement about all this is that you have to remember that they are gods at making multiplayer modes. Alot of people bought GoldenEye and Perfect Dark strictly for the multiplayer. And Conker's BFD had a multiplayer mode to rival Halo's, IMHO. Imagine the War sequence, with bump-mapped envions, XBox quality particle effects (let's say, for instance, volumetric fog), and Dolby Digitial sound. It'd rock beyond belief.:cool:

But the keynote? Imagine all these games on XBox Live. It's a dream come true.

El Gaucho Goof
09-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Even more rumors dealing with this whole Rare thing, I say everyone should just chill out and wait until after the release of StarFox Adventures, I think that's the time when Rare will make any announcement they have to make.

As for the properties Rare owns, I believe other than Perfect Dark and Blast Corps and probably some of their older games most of their licenses are held by Nintendo. I know for sure Nintendo owns the rights to Banjo, Donkey Kong, Conker and Killer Instinct. Well, I'm not 100% sure on Conker, but I believe Nintendo owns the right to any character that appeared in Diddy Kong Racing.

Anyhow, continue with your premature celebration I guess.

RudedogX
09-03-2002, 11:15 AM
With as often as these things fall out, I'm with Goof, I'll wait till the fallout settles and then celebrate if it makes it through! (though personally I would love it to happen):cool:

xboxtito
09-03-2002, 11:23 AM
If ms buy rare it will help them alot with | Blast Corps| Jet Force Gemini | Banjo-Kazooie maybe with Star Fox Adventures | PD |GE
and more imo.

RudedogX
09-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by xboxtito
If ms buy rare it will help them alot with | Blast Corps| Jet Force Gemini | Banjo-Kazooie maybe with Star Fox Adventures | PD |GE
and more imo.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo owns the rights to several of those characters (I could be wrong though)

DZNUTZ
09-03-2002, 11:29 AM
yes..conkers bad fur day on xbox would be the CHIT...imagine it online....that and PD!!!

xboxtito
09-03-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo owns the rights to several of those characters (I could be wrong though) [/B][/QUOTE]

u might be right about that but if M$ buys 51%. M$ will want most of those games in the xbox and i know they r going 2 want Killer Instinct.

RudedogX
09-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I know Nintendo doesn't own Killer Instinct, so that would be badass, but still, I'm going to wait to see the official sale word. Until then, don't get your hopes up.

xboxtito
09-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Yeah, I know Nintendo doesn't own Killer Instinct, so that would be badass, but still, I'm going to wait to see the official sale word. Until then, don't get your hopes up.

yep me 2 i will wait for official sale 2.

Dar
09-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Citainus

It would buy the 51% not owned by Nintendo...effectively making it under MS control O_o...

Yes but with 49% there is no way Nintendo would let Rare become Xbox exclusive.

beserker
09-03-2002, 12:51 PM
51% means you got the last word,the only thing they could do is being an ass at the meetings.
They do get a huge part of the profit of course.

Nonny
09-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Well i heard Nintendo might be selling rare's stocks....

even if rare does come 3rd party Nintendo would still make huge amount of profit on all Xbox/ps2 games sold.....thats why i think Rare is waiting to see what goes down in the next couple of months.

SlightlySycho
09-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Hrmm, yes, the divorce of Rare and Nintendo could get messy. All those characters they've shared over the years. And don't expect me to believe that Nintendo actually originated the ideas of Diddy Kong, Banjo-Kazooie, and Conker. It might get ugly determining who actually has the rights to all those characters.

Of course, if Nintendo is planning on falling out of the console market in the next generation, this could lead to a beautiful marriage between Nintendo and MS. Think about it. Nintendo and Microsoft own practically all of Rare. If Rare made games for both companies, they'd stand to profit greatly. I'm sure they could work something out. Nintendo has alot to lose if Rare ceases to make games for them. And since Nintendo owns most of the characters from Rare games, Microsoft would lose out on some of Rare's most profitable aspects. A co-development agreement would be advantageous for both companies.

Xmun
09-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Dar

I had heard that Nintendo was selling some it's RARE stock of late.

http://www.nintendonewsonline.com/news/index.php?view=424

Not to mention Nintendo moving what were RARE developed games to other Dev houses.

The next Star Fox game will be developed by Namco

robphillips79
09-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Dar

Nintendo would have no say as a minority owner. they would essentially be profiting off of the xbox.

xboxtito
09-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Now i got this from xbox.totalgames.net After a few months with no news, the rumour of Rare being sold is once again what everyone is talking about. The latest is that Microsoft is buying the company for a massive £350 million, and will announce the move officially at XO2 Europe later in the month. This makes sense, as Rare (best known for creating Goldeneye on N64) officially cancelled all its licensed Nintendo titles over the past week.

If this does turn out to be the truth, you can expect to be seeing an Xbox exclusive version of Perfect Dark Zero, as well as follow-ups to Banjo Kazooie, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, and other Rare classic titles

GO BUCCS!!!
09-04-2002, 01:04 AM
man that would be cool if they made a perfect dark game for xbox. but like most xbox games they'd find a way to screw it up. you know, like it would be to short, no bots, have framerate problems, have arcadish addons like timmers, power-ups etc... crap like that.
im in a bad mood, the "sega gt only 12 tracks thing" has me all ****ed off.
:mad: :mad: :eek: :confused:

Dar
09-04-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by robphillips79

Nintendo would have no say as a minority owner. they would essentially be profiting off of the xbox.

Then Nintendo will sell. It's just dead weight. Lots of money tied up making a profit for someone else.

GO BUCCS!!!
09-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Dar

Then Nintendo will sell. It's just dead weight. Lots of money tied up making a profit for someone else. you're right, because if m$ bought 51% of it, all they would have to do is say "ok we 0wn rare, and we're not putting out any games for 5 years" this way nintendo would be losing huge amounts of money in holdings on a company that is doing nothing to bring in the dough. all the while m$ would keep making billions elswere, and at the same time strangling nintendo ecconomically with a dead company that they can revive as soon as nintendo either sells their stocks, or goes under from holding on and not selling.
heh, what a b!tch
:)