PDA

View Full Version : who thinks OXM sucks?!

pnrgi
09-02-2002, 08:01 PM
I Really dont like this magizine. alls they seem to talk about is games that arent coming out for 4 months. and halo2 and xbox live. things that arnt out yet and they are the focus articals! now on this new one they giv use demos they we have all ready played! what is this crap. they promised us a DTR demo 2 months ago. whats up with that. i had to go out and buy it and relize that it sucked big time. i cant wait till november! when some games come out so they actualty have something to talk about! the people also need to now how to give no bull**** reviews. and stop saying every thing is great when its not! james bond was really bad and they gave it a great review. :mad:

so who else hates them! i want to know. i send them an email every day telling them how bad they suck! and how they need to take lessons on how to write from PC gamer.

pieceofmind83
09-02-2002, 08:29 PM
i never read the mag,but from what i've been reading here it sounds like it sucks!

i read gamepro,i really like it.

The Hitman
09-02-2002, 08:31 PM
OXM needs to get their **** together.

Nonny
09-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by pnrgi
I Really dont like this magizine. alls they seem to talk about is games that arent coming out for 4 months. and halo2 and xbox live. things that arnt out yet and they are the focus articals! now on this new one they giv use demos they we have all ready played! what is this crap. they promised us a DTR demo 2 months ago. whats up with that. i had to go out and buy it and relize that it sucked big time. i cant wait till november! when some games come out so they actualty have something to talk about! the people also need to now how to give no bull**** reviews. and stop saying every thing is great when its not! james bond was really bad and they gave it a great review. :mad:

so who else hates them! i want to know. i send them an email every day telling them how bad they suck! and how they need to take lessons on how to write from PC gamer.

Your right. The reviews suck, the demo's suck, theyre all old demos from issue 1....and they promise demos of Sega GT 2002, Dead to Rights, etc and we never get em....Not to mention alot of ppl having faulty disks, such as me. :mad:

eveyrone i know is not renewing their subscription. i suggest you follow suit ;)

xboxman_1
09-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Overall, I like OXM, but I have to say, the reviews are usually totally biased. I have rarely seen a game get a very bad review. I mostly read EGM, which is my all-time favorite mag. They usually give pretty balanced reviews, but OXM always gives great reviews. Like NFL Fever 2003 got an 8.7 in this months issue. It got like 5.5, 6.0 and like a 7.5 from EGM. How could the reviews be so totally opposite?

EHWfedPres
09-02-2002, 08:39 PM
I think im still waiting for a "massive preview" from about 5 issues back...:rolleyes:

kofijamal
09-02-2002, 08:46 PM
I find OXM a pretty ok magazine. I've seen tons of magazines come and go. Personally my all time fav was Next Generation. Hell, I still own all my issues, the whole libary. I know that OXM can't really control what demos they get, but MS should step in. Now if it's a official Xbox magazine, MS should do whatever it can to make sure the customers are getting the best product. But that's just my opinion. But currently the best gaming magazine out there is from the great mind behind Diehard Gamefan (which gaave the best news on 2D games and all of Capcom hits) and Gamer's Republic, Dave Halverson's Play magazine.

Nonny
09-02-2002, 08:47 PM
lol i think OXM gave Kabuki Warriors a 6.5 or 7 and every1 else gave it a 1.5-2 :confused:

xboxman_1
09-02-2002, 08:55 PM
lol i think OXM gave Kabuki Warriors a 6.5 or 7 and every1 else gave it a 1.5-2
In OXM's defense, they gave Kabuki Warriors a 5.9, still way too high for this sucky game however.

twilla
09-02-2002, 10:52 PM
OXM is a great MAGAZINE The only mag in this country with good XBOX info, I have enjoyed all of the demo disc except the last one
which I gave to a kid who doesn't get the demo's that kid was
so happy he almost cried!

Did you guys see the news about True Crimes and the added XBOX features (only in OXM) what about the new pics of Ninja
Gaiden with examples of gameplay features (only in OXM).
I could go on and on OXM breaks xclusive XBOX news every
month and all the other Mags talk about is steel battalion and
its huge controller.

None of you guys I gurantee have ever played Kabuki Warriors
so how in the world do you know how good it is. OXM was criticized for giving Morrowind, Enclave and Rallisport C low scores
how then can they be biased! Matter of fact there scores are average or lower compared to other Mags and very low compared to other consoles official Mags.

This magazine has only been in publication one year and you guys expect EGM, Gamepro quality with 1/4 the staff, 1/4 the $
guys get real!

Buccaneer21
09-02-2002, 11:18 PM
Keep in mind it is there first year as a magazine. I don't think Gamepro was what it is today when it first started. :cool:

meda1ni
09-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Yeah its only been a year but barely nothing has changed...:confused: Especially with their demos and date delivery..?But i am stuck with them for another 5 months(I think).Hope fully when november games comes out with the XBL they have better stuff in the OXM;)

Sakic19
09-03-2002, 01:32 AM
I agree that OXM bytes!

Their first issue had 2 glaring errors...

1. In the hockey review, mentioning a movie called "Slapstick", when anyone knows hockey knows it is Slapshot!!

2. They mentioned in the game Amped that the new equipment does not improve your stats, but if they actually played the game for longer than an hour, they would have seen that the new equip. DOES raise your base stats.

After those 2 strikes I haven't bought the Mag. since.

Nonny
09-03-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by twilla
OXM is a great MAGAZINE The only mag in this country with good XBOX info, I have enjoyed all of the demo disc except the last one
which I gave to a kid who doesn't get the demo's that kid was
so happy he almost cried!

Did you guys see the news about True Crimes and the added XBOX features (only in OXM) what about the new pics of Ninja
Gaiden with examples of gameplay features (only in OXM).
I could go on and on OXM breaks xclusive XBOX news every
month and all the other Mags talk about is steel battalion and
its huge controller.

None of you guys I gurantee have ever played Kabuki Warriors
so how in the world do you know how good it is. OXM was criticized for giving Morrowind, Enclave and Rallisport C low scores
how then can they be biased! Matter of fact there scores are average or lower compared to other Mags and very low compared to other consoles official Mags.

This magazine has only been in publication one year and you guys expect EGM, Gamepro quality with 1/4 the staff, 1/4 the $
guys get real!

You can get all the info on the internet.....u just have to look around. They posted about Seamus Blackley leaving in like the July issue when it happened in April....:confused:

Yea i know its hard for a mag to have up to date news since the printing it, etc etc but they should try a bit harder....All the issues i bought had just xbox ad's covering it up, and the mag is like 50 pages of old news, and reviews coming out like next year.....

And if you check anywhere, (ign, gamespot, xboxaddict, etc) you will see that Kabuki warriors is the worst Xbox game. I dunno how it can get a 5.9 from OXM when 5.9 is supposed to be an average game....

besides that its late to subscribers who are supposed to get their mag early, and the demo's promised are just old games, i rather just rent some NEW games at blockbuster then play a Halo demo from last year :(

darianX
09-03-2002, 10:13 AM
OXM needs to play a new game sometime...all they talk about is Halo!!! Halo, Halo2, Super Halo Sunshine, Halo Toilet Trainer, ad nauseum. I've only seen ONE decent demo disk with demos of games that haven't been out for 8 months. I'll save my $25 next year for sure...I didn't subscribe to read obnoxious fanboy claptrap about games coming out in 2005 (Project Ego, BC, etc) and fantasizing about Halo Party, all at the same time giving games like Kabuki Warriors a 5 rating..........

whatsyourprob?
09-03-2002, 10:52 AM
i like oxm... but i can't deny that the last few issues have sucked hard =[ this last ish has been the worst by far... cant believe it actually made it to print.

teddeboy
09-03-2002, 11:19 AM
Personally, I doubt they have much of a budget. The advertising business is really weak right now, and most magazines live by advertising (contrary to what you might think, your subscription fees alone would barely pay for the publication of one issue). With all the demo disks and whatnot, I'd be surprised if these guys are even breaking even.

What does this have to do with the quality of the magazine you ask ? Well, if they don't make much money, then they don't have much of a staff. If they have more than 2-3 writers/editors and a couple o' freelancers, I'd be surprised. And I doubt they can afford much fact-checking (which is probably why they referenced 'slapstick' instead of 'slapshot'.)

As far as the demos, well, they are at the mercy of the developers. If I were OXM, I'd play it safe and not promise a damned thing until I KNEW I was getting a copy.

Someone here suggested Microsoft should step in, and I agree. Microsoft's publishing group (aptly named "Microsoft Publishing") should really take control of this mag. It's giving Xbox a black eye with it's poor delivery schedule (which is apparently totally random) and lack of any special content. Right now OXM is done by a company that already has several other mags under its label, so they should at a minimum be getting this thing delivered on a standard schedule.

The only reason I buy it is for the demo disks. But I'm contemplating not resubscribing and instead just renting games when they come out. I don't need to play a demo of a game only one month before it comes out, I can wait until it's out and rent it.

xtreme
09-03-2002, 04:03 PM
the mag part dosent bother me.

and i really enjoy the little facts and tid-bits that they putt at the
bottom of the pages.....

but........ I HATE the DAMM DEMO DISC

i hate it , hate hate hate it

what the hell i pay money to get the disc then so far
all i get is reruns of the same games and the same thing over
and over again

where in the hell are the new games coming out

ghost recon , splinter cell .metal gear, ect..... i know i missed alot
but this is a example

i dont want things that been out for months
**** most the time have bought the game already

gese i may be a working husband ,and i can buy this mag
but i still dont want to spend money on a mag and Disc that i only
get OLD DEMOS of.

i think
they think that since its called OXM
that everyone will be happy with it and feel that if u are a fan of the XBOX that u will buy it or
order it for a year at a time.

will im sorry to say i have double thoughts about redoing my
scribition

will thats it
one very unhappy camper here

addict733
09-03-2002, 04:49 PM
hopefully, next year will be better. if not, good bye sub-scription

Ruiner
09-03-2002, 05:04 PM
My biggest beef with oxm is how they constantly bash ps2 and gamecube needlessly, and everything is biased. Also they use circular logic when bashing ps2 or gamecube.
ex: "Ps2 sucks"
"why does ps2 suck?
"because ps2 sucks"
"why"
" because ps2 sucks"

-Ruiner

pnrgi
09-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Whoa tons of people agree with me! for once!

lol, i wrote this in the gameFAQ borad and 2 ppl replied.
i send them a Email every week, telling them how much they suck. and i think you should all do the same or we will never get a better mag.

IF YOU BUY CRAP THEY WILL KEEP SELLING CRAP! how do you think deer hunter ever made another game.

i noticed that last issue they were saying that PS2 internet plan sucked and gamecubes plan suck and how microsoft is sooo great and soooo smart. i mean they are but still. you read mags to get unbias information otherwise i would just come here to get reveiws and news.

my letters consist of:

- Explaining to them how there reviews are Bias.
- Telling them to stop making the cover story about things that are not out yet.
- Tell them that Halo had its "run" and to stop talking about it.
- Making empty promises about game demos.
- Stop Making games sound better then they are.
- Take lessons from PC GAMER.