PDA

View Full Version : Help on Networking

BD11goal
09-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Hello. I am really not sure what i need to buy to make a network. I have a cable modem directly connected to my computer. Eventually, I am going to want to hook up my computer upstairs. My Xbox is across the room. I want to stay with wires because it is the cheapest solution. What should I buy and how do I hook it up? Thank you.

Chr0nik
09-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Each PC needs a NIC. Get a switch (at least 4 port) RJ45 Cat 5 Cable. That is basically all you need to buy, the rest is just hooking it all up.

Nonny
09-03-2002, 01:03 PM
You can get RJ-45 (cat5) ethernet cables for real cheap if you shop around. I got a 100 foot cable for only 14.95$....

All you need is a HUB, a Switch, or a Router - hub is the cheapest solution it basically gives you 4 conections out of 1 internet connection kinda like a big power outlet surge protector thing.

A router does the same thing but its better since it add's security - it has sort of a built in firewall which masks ur ip etc.....but its also a lot of money, so i say go with the HUB since its cheaper and more efficient if your only using it for 2 pc's and a Xbox.

You can get a netgear hub from http://netgear.com i think.

You plug your cable modem wire into your hub instead of your computer....then all other wires plug into your hub, and one wire connects the hub to your NIC card.

If you need more help dont be afraid to ask...im sure i missed a few things.

jschelm
09-03-2002, 02:15 PM
I am in the process of wiring my house (running all the wires through the walls) for a home network and here is a list of what I bought.

933' of Belden Cat5e cabling - $55.98
6 Single Gang Brackets - $5.52
6 Two port plates - $9.06
2 Four port plates - $3.02
7 RJ 11 inserts - $19.39 --- These are for telephone use
7 RJ 45 inserts - $27.65 --- These are for network use
3 F-Connector inserts - $9.99 --- These are for Cable TV

There are a few tools that you need, but I already had them.

The basic setup that I am wiring is 1 Network and 1 phone outlet in every room except the office which has two of each. I am then putting network and phone by my main tv so that the XBox can have a network port and the satellite can have a phone jack.

You will also need a hub/router or switch like has been said, there is some discussion on that here:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21994

If you have any more questions about doing it with this method, let me know. I can help you with how to run the wires etc...

Mael
09-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Well, if your cable ISP only allows one IP address, then a hub/switch isn't going to do it if you want to run the PC and Xbox online simultaneously. You need a router. Routers do more than just "add security", they enable a home network to share the one IP address coming out of the cable modem. The router takes the one IP for itself and assigns internal IP's to the Xbox and PC. The router then directs all the traffic on your home network and to the internet. Hubs and switches just connect everything together. If you're only allowed one IP and using a hub, then the first thing turned on gets the one IP and everything else is out of luck.

Best Buy has the D-Link DI-604 router on sale again for $30 (after $10 rebate). It's perfect for what you need. If you insist on buying a hub, wait until closer to the XBL launch so you can return it if it doesn't do the job.

Bottom line, a hub/switch MIGHT work, but a router (even a cheap one) most certainly will.

--Mael

BD11goal
09-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Thank you all very much. You were very helpful. My ISP adress only allows one IP so I am going to go with a router, and some RJ-45 cables. Thanks a lot!!!

B r i a n

Mael
09-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by jschelm
7 RJ 11 inserts - $19.39 --- These are for telephone use
7 RJ 45 inserts - $27.65 --- These are for network use
3 F-Connector inserts - $9.99 --- These are for Cable TV

Ack! Are these really that expensive? Where'd you get them?

--Mael

jschelm
09-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Yea, the blank wall plate inserts are pretty pricey. I went to an electronics supply store that was local. If you want to buy in bulk and take a chance on quality you can get cheap ones on e-bay, but I spent a little extra cash for good quality connectors in small quantities.

Also, these are all total costs, not each.

Mael
09-04-2002, 12:10 PM
Ah, OK. I have seen them at Home Depot and didn't remember them being quite that pricey. I'm planning on doing something similar when the weather cools down.

--Mael

jschelm
09-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Mael
Ah, OK. I have seen them at Home Depot and didn't remember them being quite that pricey. I'm planning on doing something similar when the weather cools down.

--Mael

Yea, I looked at the ones at home depot too, but I decided that I would go to a store that sold AMP brand inserts since they are up there with the best of em. I would call around your local electronics supply stores and see what you can find and no matter what you do don't buy your CAT5 at home depot. They are crazy with how much they want for cheap cable.

Mael
09-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Thanks!

--Mael