PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3...a proof that xbox is equal to P4 ??

Shadow20002
09-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Anyone know that Doom 3 is gonna come to the xbox with all the "amazing" graphics include in the PC version. Doom 3 require a pentium 4 and the latest video cards to run at full speed. So, the xbox CPU is equal to pentium 4 ??

LynxFX
09-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Not at all. It is still a PIII 733mhz cpu and no more powerful than that.

Doom III will be running a resolution of 640x480 on the XBOX and the hardware architecture of the Xbox or any console is more streamlined than on a pc which is why they can have less powerful components and still compete with higher end PC's. They aren't multitasking like a PC. Just one app, one small OS and you are in.

Whether Doom III on Xbox looks as good as on the PC is still yet to be seen. I honestly don't believe it will. It will look good no doubt but a high end pc will be able to run higher res and better antialaising. It is just the nature of the PC.

Supperdog
09-06-2002, 06:44 PM
yeah but not everyone has $600 to spend upgrading their computer for id's magnum opus

not that i have to, my system is nInJa!!!

GaMMa
09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Xbox has a P3 777mHz according to the xbox-linux project... :p.. Anyway yea Xbox can do a lot of stuff the PC can't do...

addict733
09-08-2002, 05:07 PM
an xbox can do NOTHING a computer cant. do you understand me? NOTHING!

SpartanSniper
09-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by GaMMa
Xbox has a P3 777mHz according to the xbox-linux project... :p.. Anyway yea Xbox can do a lot of stuff the PC can't do...

Xbox is god...*tear*

Hugh_Jass
09-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by addict733
an xbox can do NOTHING a computer cant. do you understand me? NOTHING!

A computer can't go on XBOX Live. ;)

addict733
09-09-2002, 02:05 PM
you just gotta me a smart @$$ dont ya hugh?!

Master Bates
09-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Here's a quote by John Carmack taken from DoomWorld and this was said back on the 8/9/2000:

"Now PlayStation2 is a more interesting question, because it's halfway in between the Dreamcast and Xbox on memory, and it's got a good processor, but there are some sticking points with the graphics that are just really, really unfortunate. PlayStation2 took the tack of having the simplest graphics rasterizer that it can get and because it's all embedded DRAM it's blazingly fast on there, but there's some capabilities that just aren't there.
One of the primary functions of our next-generation technology is trying to do everything with bump-mapping and dot products, and that math just isn't there on the PlayStation2...I'm not sure if it's going to be able to do the full-impact stuff we can do on the Xbox. We could certainly do a cut-down version that will run on the PlayStation2 and Dreamcast, but it won't have the incredible next-generation graphics look that we're going to see on the next generation of PC chips."

He said: "PlayStation2...I'm not sure if it's going to be able to do the full-impact stuff we can do on the Xbox."

I'm excited!!! I think we'll be seeing everything DOOM3 has to offer on the Xbox....

Bates:eek:

X-Factor
09-25-2002, 12:13 PM
John Carmack was quoted saying, "DOOM III will come to Xbox and have the same graphical prowess at the PC version." You can read about it at IGN, GameSpot, GameSpy, etc etc...

Gimpy Mcgee
09-25-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
John Carmack was quoted saying, "DOOM III will come to Xbox and have the same graphical prowess at the PC version." You can read about it at IGN, GameSpot, GameSpy, etc etc...

That is true, however somehing has to give here. Carmack at e3 also stated that the graphics engine would be pushing the gforce 4 to it's limits. Thats why Adam Sessler said it couldnt be done on any console, wich later led to alot of idiotic statements about Sessler all over the net but that really isnt important. One thing I will say about Adam is that he really should lay off putting crack in his coffee, damn that guy is hyper:eek:

Question is: is it going to push the Gforce 4 to it's limits or is Carmack going to bog the graphics down a bit so that both the PC version and Xbox version look the same.

THE TRUTH
10-07-2002, 04:59 AM
Doom 3 will not look as good on the X-Box as it will on the PC.
Why?
In some scenes doom 3 will use uppwards of 80Megabytes of textures. The X-Box only has 64Megabytes memory, yes it could use it's hard-drive as virtual memory but the performance would be slow.
Comparing a P4 2Ghz to a P3 733MHz is being silly. The P4 is an inefficient chip(Says me, owner of an AMD XP2000+) but you know deep down that you would love one in your X-Box.