PDA

View Full Version : Xbox dropping to $149?

robphillips79
09-04-2002, 01:01 PM
From Gamespy.com

Price expected to be cut later this month.
Sunday September 1 2002 | hardcore_pawn

Xbox - Price Slash
By Todd Mowatt

With the ECTS just taking place MS let the proverbial cat out of the bag earlier this week, indicating to retailers and analysts that the company will soon slash the U.S. price of the Xbox console to $149.99

The price drop is expected to take effect on September 23, 2002.

“The price drop for the Xbox isn’t going to be a shock to anyone in the industry,” said Edward Williams an analyst with Gerard Klauer Mattison.

The price cut also make sense considering that MS announced a price cut in Europe just last week , MS predicting a sales surge in Europe because of the price cut, with a corresponding increase in software sales.

Williams said the price cut shouldn’t be construed as ill-health in the interactive entertainment industry, MS is looking to get an edge on it's competition before the Holiday Season starts.

This could be a little extreme, considering a lot of us payed double this price not even a year ago.

BullitNC
09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Like the saying goes, you have to pay the price to be first. Most things work that way. You've had almost a year to enjoy several good games, while others will be starting out a year later. I bought mine as soon as it dropped to $199. I have no regrets either way. I won't also have a grudge for it dropping again. I'm happy with my XBOX....I only wish for more games.

EHWfedPres
09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
I almost forget the obscene amount I had to pay for the system, another controller and 2 games... :confused:

beserker
09-04-2002, 01:06 PM
I paid 450 us $ for it

AcidJazz
09-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Now that's news..!
Soon, I'll be able to go out and buy a next-gen console easier than a new pair of socks. Wish this could affect software prices, but I guess I'm wanting too much.
Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I have paid $700 CAN for my Xbox.

CrazyCougar
09-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Just like any other piece of technology, the price keeps dropping. Thats okay, just the name of the game. If ya had the patience to wait then you'll be rewarded, but most of us couldnt wait to get the Xbox and dont care what we paid. (I'd love to see a rebate come in the mail...LOL)

As for the price drop affectingt he industry, look out Nintendo!!! Looks like its time for them to make their decision and go with Microsoft! I dont think Mario is too far off int he future for the Xbox. You will probably see the Cube at 129.99 or 99.99 sometime real soon. I may buy one then just for mario.

Piccolo_DBz
09-04-2002, 01:12 PM
I heard that news bit is fake.

ChiZel_MunKee
09-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Isn't competition great? I just wish that game prices would reduce as well.

Guibs
09-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by AcidJazz
Now that's news..!
Soon, I'll be able to go out and buy a next-gen console easier than a new pair of socks. Wish this could affect software prices, but I guess I'm wanting too much.
Thanks.

Same here buddy, even if I bought mine only in january. Still I am not mad if people can buy the thing at half the price I paid. Maybe this will encourage my friends to buy one too.

it's only a good news for us. More console sold, more developpers interested in making games for us. It's a win-win situation for everyone. The price cut also comes only weeks before xbox live. With the price cut, xbox live and all of the games comming in november, Xbox will be doing strong this holyday.

Guibs
09-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ChiZel_MunKee
Isn't competition great? I just wish that game prices would reduce as well.

I don't see this comming since this is a place where Microsoft retakes some of it's money. Same goes for sony and Nintendo. Selling the console for the cost, but make money on the royalty from games.

EHWfedPres
09-04-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, who cares about the system price, I already have it...lower game prices already!

AcidJazz
09-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Guibs

I don't see this comming since this is a place where Microsoft retakes some of it's money. Same goes for sony and Nintendo. Selling the console for the cost, but make money on the royalty from games.

You're right, but if xbox does drop to $149 wouldn't you find ridiculous paying 1/3(probably even more in Quebec with it's huge slaes tax) of the console cost for just one game..?

Kingpin
09-04-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Piccolo_DBz
I heard that news bit is fake.

I believe it is likely true.
MS has had as its goal to get the price down to near $100 since the beginning. They have big hopes for Xbox Live carrying the Xbox to near the top.

JimmieDoogan
09-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Makes me really ****ed that I paid 300 dollars for something that broke RIGHT after the warrantee was up. Though I'm glad to have a replacement already in the house, I think I may pick up another Xbox (just in case) at 149, provided of course this is not a rumor.

Guibs
09-04-2002, 02:18 PM

You're right, but if xbox does drop to $149 wouldn't you find ridiculous paying 1/3(probably even more in Quebec with it's huge slaes tax) of the console cost for just one game..?

True. I am not saying that the games aren't expansive. you do know that I came from the Pc gaming world where games sales for like 50$ to 60$ while console games are like 70$ to 80$. It's just that it's "the" way for them to make money so I don't see why they would reduce the price of the games, not that it wouldn't make me happy, just unlikly unless Microsoft Really want to go the bad agressive side of things (and you'll see Sony and Nintendo cry at illegal competition practice).

Most people complained about the price of the console so far, Now if this price cut is true, it will be the lowest price for the new console, equal to the gamecubes. Add this with the 30$US (50$Cdn) in mail in return if you take the dvd kit, and you have the best, strongest, more compatible, best hardware and DVD playback for the lowest price of the bunch. Who wouldn't buy one now? I am clueless on this...

Zion
09-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by robphillips79
From Gamespy.com

This could be a little extreme, considering a lot of us payed double this price not even a year ago.

I disagree. This is anything but extreme.

That $2000 computer you bought 1 year ago can now be had for less than $500.

That $40,000 car you bought 1 year ago will now fetch you a nice $15,000 at best.

You gotta pay to play. The Playstation was $199 when it came out, now it's like $50. If you would have been just as happy waiting a whole year to save $150, you should have waited and done without. Personally, I've gotten 100 times more worth than $150 out of my Xbox in the last year.

viperII
09-04-2002, 03:19 PM
robphillips79,

Do you have a link on Gamespy for this quote? I can't seem to find the article when I do a search on the news for Sunday September 1, 2002???

ChiZel_MunKee
09-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Guibs

I know it won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

plpkb
09-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Why buy a protection plan for your xbox when you can just get a new one. I will buy another xbox for christmas at this rate.

fausenbaug
09-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Now that's news..!
Thanks.

Why'd you have to pay so much? Who'd you buy it from?

nutsnyomowf
09-04-2002, 04:53 PM
i think this is great now i can buy another and set up a lil HALO network MS is making a great move in my opinion.i thought PS2 would have done the price drop 1st

MageOfTheMatrix
09-04-2002, 05:38 PM
I don't mind that I paid double for the console last year. That was what I was willing to pay. In the past $300 for a console would be crazy for me and I always waited.

Now a lot more people will be able to afford xbox, even PS2 owners. Heck, I'll probably get a second one when I get my widescreen TV for christmas for 8 player split screen Halo!

What MS is doing is great, they bring down reduced cost of manufacturing right down to the consumer as fast as possible. Unlike what was done in the past.

And the orignal PSX was $300 not $150.

I hope the GC has to go to $99 to stay competative. It will be worth it just for Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. But I don't think Nintendo can take such a hit. MS will force them to go Sega in the next gen.

Maxx-Attack
09-04-2002, 05:50 PM
This is too cool!!! So if mine ever breaks, then I will just buy a new one ($50 or so more then refurbishing yours through MS). What I would do, is I would try and rebuild my broken one. Fixing it yourself would be fun too. If you do fix it, then you have two Xbox's!! You could then set up your little System Link Headquarters in your house :).

wweomaniac
09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Can I get a link for this also. I don't see news of this ANYWHERE. Usually news like this shows up at www.planetxbox.com but it hasn't even shown up there yet.

I can't seem to find anything about a price drop. Please send a link.

nutsnyomowf
09-04-2002, 07:53 PM
yeah if this is true than a link would be nice

Kaos
09-04-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
Makes me really ****ed that I paid 300 dollars for something that broke RIGHT after the warrantee was up. Though I'm glad to have a replacement already in the house, I think I may pick up another Xbox (just in case) at 149, provided of course this is not a rumor.

to prevent that from happening you should have got a back up warranty from the place you bought it

EHWfedPres
09-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Zion

That $40,000 car you bought 1 year ago will now fetch you a nice $15,000 at best.

Unlike cars and computers, a new video game system does not come out every year...

nutsnyomowf
09-04-2002, 08:24 PM
this is true but this competition has never been this good.plus may i add the console is not the money maker.its the software

BullitNC
09-04-2002, 09:07 PM
I waited until it was $199 to by mine. I'm still encouraging people to buy XBOX. If it drops to $149, there will be no excuses except for limited game selection,and that's slowly taking care of itself.

For you kids out there, or those who think it was expensive at $299, or even $199:
In 1980, my parents bought me an Atari 2600 for Xmas. They paid $189 or $199 (memory goes to crap at my age) for the console, and about $25-30 for the games. I think I got 4 games for Xmas, and within a couple of years had over 40 games. Of course teh price of the games dropped quickly, and to lower prices than todays games. I remember buying older Atari 2600 games for $5 each, still new in the box. I think today's next-gan consoles are a bargain. You get arcade quality games and graphics, without getting off the couch, and carrying a pocket full of quarters.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-04-2002, 09:13 PM
microsoft taught me a lesson.....i will never be the first to buy hardware again..i bought the xbox back when it was $ 299...now it's $ 150 by the end of the month.....I wish i would have waited:eek: The playstation 2 took years to come down in price. People in the real world see all of these price drops as a sign of weakness. Microsoft..here's an idea...instead of puting cheaper parts in the xbox..and cutting the price every three months....why don't you focus on....games

sleepyfloyd64
09-04-2002, 11:43 PM
While I agree with you that the price cut is not that extreme.. I don't think your car example is valid... if you spend $40K on a Lexus, Acura, BMW or Mercedes or other Luxury Automobile and take care of it, it will be worth alot more than $15K after 1 Year.. Depreciation of premium luxury automobiles just isnt as extreme as it used to be..

Anybody who sees this as a sign of weakness for MS in the "console wars" is completely missing the point.. MS is simply trying to boost their customer base for software purchases. They are being smart.. Because they already know that making money from console h/w sales is a losing proposition.. they pass any savings they generate from decreased console hardware and manufacturing costs on to the consumers so that their installed base is higher.. This attracts more software developers, which increases the potential for software sales and thats where MS makes its money.

Simply concentrating on software development and bringing out more games faster for the xbox, as someone suggested MS should do, is not gonna do it, because the number of copies of the software that will sell is limited to some percentage of the number of consoles out there..

Anyway.. I think its great if the console price drops again.. I paid $299 for mine and have no complaints.. and I dont expect any type of rebate or compensation from MS, cause I got to own and play with my Xbox b6 months before the first price cut.. I can use this to encourage my PS2 friends to buy Xbox's so we can have bigger LAN parties!! WOOHOO!!!

Originally posted by Zion

You gotta pay to play. The Playstation was $199 when it came out, now it's like $50. If you would have been just as happy waiting a whole year to save $150, you should have waited and done without. Personally, I've gotten 100 times more worth than $150 out of my Xbox in the last year.

Siguy1
09-05-2002, 01:12 AM
No offense to all you guys who posted replies, but it's pretty pathetic that only like 2 of you bothered to ask for a link.

This story seems made up to me. Maybe it's real, but if it were, big news like this would've been all over the net and on the front pages of all the gaming sites by now.

huskerman44
09-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Proof?

viperII
09-05-2002, 11:55 AM
This is all I could find. Same text, but is it true????

http://www.xsunderground.com/news/index.php
http://www.xboxevolved.com/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1031194204,38604,

I really hope this is true so no one has an excuse NOT to buy XBOX.

nutsnyomowf
09-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by viperII
This is all I could find. Same text, but is it true????

http://www.xsunderground.com/news/index.php
http://www.xboxevolved.com/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1031194204,38604,

I really hope this is true so no one has an excuse NOT to buy XBOX.

hey dude thanks for the link and it seems to be true!!! my god im so excited im getting another XBOX im getting another XBOX im getting another XBOX im getting another XBOX im getting another XBOX yahhhhhhhy (Special ED of Crank Yankers) man this is the sweetest news on this site cant wait to have 2 xboxs in the dungeon!!! lan party foreal.sum1 call the pattywagon cause this one is for gone

ps2rookie
09-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Bump...This is only 2 weeks away. Is this for real or not? I want to get an XBOX and am wondering if this is true