PDA

View Full Version : My review of Sega GT 2k2

Revit_X_man
09-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I picked the game up this morning before work, when I got home I popped it in, here is my review.

Graphics: Great reflections and backgrounds, I saw one problem, I didn't see any particle effects when my car went side ways into the grass. The cars look AWSOME! The lights really work, even in the day time. Also the heat wave effect looks really good.

Sound: Sega did a great job with the sound, the 5.1 really stands out when the cars are behind you. In PGR I had a hard time hearing the CPUs, but in GT they REALLY stand out. The menu music is okay, not anything great. Also during the races, you can only listen to 1 track on your custom sound track. The engine sounds are very convincing(sp) and sound great. I didn't hear alot of tire squealing when I ripped through a turn, but that maybe due to what I'm driving, a Toyota Celica 1600.

Control: I have to give kudos to WoW for heavily tweaking the controls, from GT 1(DC). They don't feel as lose as they did on the DC, but feel a bit more stiffer. You can customize control schemes, which is nice since I don't like using the trigger for acc and braking. The car I drove did not feel floaty at all, the really stuck to the track.

A.I I left my car stock for abit, so the AI didn't get a boost in the next race, but when I did upgrade, the AI got boosted. Take Drag Racing, I lost everytime by .010 second in the 3 times I tried, very fustrating if you ask me, but I won't quit.

Car choices in the beginning of the game were VERY limited to about 2-3 cars, and they ranged from 117hp-97hp. My first car was an old Celica 1600, pretty fast and the handling is good. This version of GT is WAY better than the DC version. I didn't like the damage meter, I wish I could have chosen to fix my car if I wanted to or not. This game is no pass on the first turn, you have to be patient and wait for an opening in the field of cars.

Conclusion: Worth the $50, IMO. I've only played for 1 hr and I really enjoy it. I can't wait to get more cars so that when my cousin comes over we can drag race.:cool: Overall I give it
a 8.9. Very good sim game, IMO.

The Rev

midnight
09-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Glad you like it.

There is no tire screaching? Does the handling feel different when you drive over grass or gravel? Is there any smoke when you roast the tires? When you hit a wall, does it spark or scrape?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious about the game.:)

One more question, can you race the tracks in reverse like in GT3?

Thanks

And yet another question:D , is there a wheel shop?

Revit_X_man
09-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by midnight
Glad you like it.

There is no tire screaching? Does the handling feel different when you drive over grass or gravel? Is there any smoke when you roast the tires? When you hit a wall, does it spark or scrape?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious about the game.:)

One more question, can you race the tracks in reverse like in GT3?

Thanks

And yet another question:D , is there a wheel shop?

AI haven't heard any tire screaching so far, I've been consitrating on Career mode. With the smoke and tires no I haven't seen anything becuase I'm driving a low-powered car. I don't know about a wheel shop, but I'll soon find out.

midnight
09-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Is there really only 8 tracks? Can you race them in reverse?

hook-worm J
09-04-2002, 04:10 PM
How is the damage? I hear there is a damage meter and that subtracts from your $$$ winnings, but is there actual physical damage that you can see on the car?

Revit_X_man
09-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by hook-worm J
How is the damage? I hear there is a damage meter and that subtracts from your $$$ winnings, but is there actual physical damage that you can see on the car? No physical damage, like PGR. I've had just 10-15% damage and it subtracted 300 credits. Tracks can be played in reversed, but thats way later in the game. The tracks are broken up, like PGR cities.

BullitNC
09-04-2002, 05:29 PM
I kinda like the damage meter idea. It makes you think twice about stuffing a fender under somebody to pass in a turn. My biggest complaint with the meter is when other cars hit me....and they usually will "double tap" you. But it rewards good clean driving. This is no PGR by any means.
I've put 2 hours in, and sampled a lot of the game today. The Chronicle mode is simply awesome. You start out with your choice of one of several vintage cars. They range from small Euro cars with 120 or so HP to a Stingray with over 400 hp. I chose the Stingray 1st time in. Big mistake, taht thing was too much for the small track, and my skills. I kept doing doughnuts. I finally found the ultimate classic car, the Lotus Europa Special '73. Man that car kicks.
In a lot of ways it is very similar to the DC version...same basic concept. But it has been improved greatly. AI is better. AI cars won't simply move and let you pass, they'll fight tooth and nail. The courses are pretty long it seems, and some are very tight with few passing spaces. Courses range from a Nascar style tri-oval to city street road courses...one of which really resembles Long Beach, one that winds through a Northern European style town, with tight streets. And of course there are road race tracks.
The car selection is nice, and I like it better than the old version. Although I'd rather see more variety than see the same car in 3-4 different versions. They tease you by allowing you to see all the cars, but some are locked with "not for sale" on them. Most are out of your price range early on, but as with the original version, you can keep winning the easier races and make cash...and $3000 amounts.
Overall, it's challenging, the cars are beautiful, the tracks realistic, and a potentially great game. I'm very pleased so far. Can't wait to try it with a wheel.
I'd rate it so far, subject to change, a solid 9.0

Revit_X_man
09-04-2002, 06:13 PM
When I said about 300 credit for damage is was more like 20-30 credits. I'm starting to get back my racing skillz. I've been playing Turok and Halo to much, that when I went to play PGR I totally sucked at it. It'll take some time for me to back into the racing groove.

BullitNC
09-04-2002, 11:11 PM
One thing I will add that I noticed, or maybe didn't notice. I recall seeing nothing about multiplayer on GT2002. Maybe i overlooked it, but i think it's a one player only game. OK....correction, I just checked the box and it says 1-2 players. I just missed it on the menu I guess. Now, I want to know of there's any truth to the LIVE rumors, and the add-on disc possiblity.

midnight
09-05-2002, 12:29 AM
The xbox live and add-on disk is going to happen. Sega has confirmed it. I just hope it doesn't take six months.

I want more F'n tracks!

doctorrevill
09-05-2002, 03:35 AM
I had my copy @ 10:30 just after the FedEx guy dropped them off at EB. My VERY SHORT take is this...

Very good game, if a bit easy. After getting smoked on a "rally" track I took my car to the shop, bought a muffler and intake kit, something else whose name and use eludes me (it wasn't expensive so It didn't do that much to my car...), and proceeded to win each of the next 3 races. I had the Honda S600, a little coupe that is actually 4wd! I'm not gonna put much money into this little fella, I purchased sport tires, I may get weight reduction.

As far as I can tell there is no wheel shop. And you CAN listen to different music tracks if you want to during the race, simply hit START and then 'Y' to change selections.

One feature that I love is the Snapshot feature. Now I don't know if this is a ripoff of Gran Turismo or not, I don't really care if it is. But it is a blast watching your replay and trying to figure out what picture would look good on the wall in your garage. While you watch the replay you get 6 shots which are then presented to you after the replay is over - at that point you are asked to pick one to display in your garage. Once on display you can look at a "thumbnail" of them hanging on the wall or go to 'snapshots' and you can shuffle thru them. I've got some pretty good ones already. This feature reminds me of the paint shop in Tokyo Extreme Racer or the paint scheme feature in MotoGP in terms of originality and long-term fun; I seriously doubt I will ever get sick of trying to take better and better pics.

I have only played for about 2 hours, and only in Sega GT2002 mode. There are several other play modes to master, much like in the original SegaGT. And Like the rest of you I really can't wait for the expansion discs. There are lots of cars to win, but I want MORE!!! :D I haven't played the tracks enough to have an opinion on them, but More tracks is always good. And of course LIVE compatability. But there is certainly enough there to say that this game is certainly a 9. Maybe a bit better.

One last item...
Oddly enough I somehow feel if this game was programmed by an American developer it would look better. It kinda feels like there was not enough time for the Japanese developers to tinker with the hardware. Maybe we will see more with the expansion discs... Don't get me wrong it looks great, but somehow I think it could be better. The control is great, but the graphics are a little plain. Or maybe I am nuts.

DR2000
09-05-2002, 09:08 AM
I played for about an hour only so far, but I like it. I can definetly hear some tire squeeling on tight turns. I'm driving some Pegeout (sp) car at this point, and have pretty much won everything. Got 3rd place twice, got 1st place otherwise. Garage and pictures are very cool.

Also I've won some car which I can't sell for some reason. Or I'm doing something wrong there.

Anyway, can't wait to play some more.

BullitNC
09-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Don't feel bad. I couldn't sell mt car either. That part is not like the original SegaGT. In the original game, you could purchase one car, race it until you get better, then sell it and use that mney plus your winnings to buy a better car. So far I've determined that you can not sell your only car. It looks like you MUST always have one car in your posession. I've already had to erase my first save and start over. As I bought a car that I am very unhappy with. The car doesn't handle the upgrades very well, and after upgrading it, the AI cars are all WAY faster than I am....so I'm stuck. I made it to the 2nd series of races, and even obtained the "B" license. But I could not be competitive in the 3rd race series. Right from the start I was left behind, and would finish like 45 seconds behind the other cars. My car simply could not compete, and I could not win any more money to upgrade it or buy another car. I hit a brick wall. I went back to the event races to make some money, and soon realized that those AI cars were also upgraded. I entered the "same make" races and was also getting smoked. Right off the starting line I was dusted, and it only got worse from there. I knew then that I had screwed up the game. I erased my save file and started over. I made the mistake of spending too much money upgrading a car. I only made the AI cars far superior to mine. Leason learned.

My little complaints so far:
1) I'd like to be able to sell all my cars, and not be forced to always keep one.
2) I'd REALLY like the opportunity to qualify, instead of always being stuck at the back of every starting grid. These tracks are VERY tight, and some of them have very few places you can pass without damaging your car. Getting held up by a slower car on the 1st lap ensires that you'll never catch the lead car within 2 laps. Am I missing something here?

midnight
09-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Great reviews guys, keep the opinions coming.

No wheelshop...that sucks. It's always fun to change the apperearance of your car.

Revit_X_man
09-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Ive been leaving my cars stock, so the AI wouldn't get a boost.

BullitNC
09-05-2002, 03:12 PM
A few more points about GT. As far as leaving your car stock.....I kinda agree. But I'm thinking it's all about horsepower. I'm going to test my theory tonight, by boosting my car every way possible that doesn't involve the engine. I'm going to put on race tires, better suspension, weight reduction...anything that deosn't add HP...and see if I can still outrun the AI cars. I have a sneaky suspicion it's all about the HPs. If you choose a really light, quick car with low horsepower, like a couple available by Lotus...you race cars with similar HP....and smoke'em. I know for sure in the old GT, every race was categorized by HP.

BullitNC
09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah, I was going to add a few more review points:

1) The AI is tough, and does not give up nor do they yield. They will fight for every inch of track.
2) It's quite an accomplishment to win a race with no damage (for me anyhow) and pick up the 50% bonus money. If you're in a raace that pays $3000 for 1st, and you finish with no damage, you get a $1500 bonus...which is VERY nice.
3) AI cars don't care about your bonus. You start every race in the last spot on the starting grid. You must pass all 6 cars on a tight track without scratching your pretty paint job...not an easy task. Plus, the longer you're behind the 5th car, the farther ahead the other cars will get. This can be very frustrating, but to me it's ultra realistic. What do you guys think about only having 6 cars on the track? Do you think that numbe changes in advanced races? I've yet to race beyond level 3 in the GT mode.
4) Drag racing: Not at all like the original version of GT. Your opponents get tougher each race. You are given an option before each race, take your winnings and walk away, or put it on the line for the next race. If you lose the nextrace, you lose your winnings. It makes you think twice before hitting "start". So far, I haven't beaten the 2nd car...he pulls me right at the finish. Another thing I noticed during drag racing. Your car is not on rails. On the start, your car may slide, fishtail, etc. You actually have to steer it this time. And fortunately, Sega saw fit to make these strips straight. Anybody remember the drag strip in GT with the curve in it? I haven't noticed the 400m or 800m option either. I'm going to assume they are all one length....don't ask me the length.

I'll think of more stuff to input later I'm sure. Just got through playing, and it was fresh in my head. Time to get ready for work now.

Revit_X_man
09-05-2002, 04:08 PM
I'm getting real sick of the AI, I was doing a oval-race, and I finished last place with the AI cars putting 20sec in front of me. I'm starting to get real fustrated with this game. I'm going to call EB, if they can give 40 for this game I'm trading it in. No matter what I do or how I race I can't keep up, even with leaving my car stock. I have 10-15 hrs so far and 4 cars. I don't see why they had to boost the AI way off the chart everytime you upgrade.

Shiz_96
09-05-2002, 05:09 PM
I thought this game would have been on xbox live now with all the time they spent developing it. If we have to wait for some add on disc it could take forever, who knows. I guess I'll just wait til the add on disc comes out but PGR2 will probably be out by then and it's Live ready. I'm shifting towards live games now since I'm a beta tester

midnight
09-05-2002, 05:23 PM
When is PGR2 coming out? I still haven't played the first one. Is it a good game?

BullitNC
09-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Don't hold your breath. PGR 2 is scheduled for a winter 2003 release, about a year from now.

DR2000
09-06-2002, 01:20 AM
I've played much more today and I'm actually liking it more. As far as I can see AI doesn't get boost. The thing is that you have to keep your car in good condition. If you go to the parts section you can select an overhaul there.

Once after I upgraded my car I started seeing that I can't catch up to anybody. Then I saw that my engine was red (damaged, worn). So I did an overhaul, and in the next race I was easily gaining on the competition.

I already got myself a Camaro SS, and tried drag racing it. Lost to the first car out of 6. Then went to the parts place, got myself HP increasers, and beat all 6 of them, and won myself a Charger.

So if you can't keep up with AI, either check that your car is ok, and if so then just go into the Motorala race, and earn some money. Then you can buy a much better car.

One thing that really upset me though is that there can be only 5 trophies in the garage, and only 5 pics on the wall. I hope I missing something, but my trophies are disappereang when I get a new one. And that really sucks.

Otherwise I like the game a lot. They did a good job.

hookem
09-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by DR2000

One thing that really upset me though is that there can be only 5 trophies in the garage, and only 5 pics on the wall. I hope I missing something, but my trophies are disappereang when I get a new one. And that really sucks.

Otherwise I like the game a lot. They did a good job.

Look to the right in your garage. There is a bar in there with room for more trophies. I bought a dart board that I have setup in there.

I used the s2000 for awhile, then got enough for the NSX and maxed out the upgrades on that. I am now tring to save up for the Ford F40 or whatever it is at 150,000. I won some car worth over 300,000, but I want to hang on to it.

It took me forever to get the S liscense. Once I got it I did one race on the next stage and the game froze after I finished. I didn't save, so I had to do the test over, luckily I am better, so it only took a few more tries. I then saved, raced again, and it froze again!!! I'm hoping to let it cool down since I've been playing it for 4 hours. I hope I don't have to take it back, I haven't had this much fun since I had Gran Turismo 1 on my playstation. (I've never played 2 or 3).

Anyone know if the GT40 will allow for a turbo? I keep buying cars that won't allow you to buy a turbo (the s2000 and NSX).

doctorrevill
09-06-2002, 05:46 AM
First: You people who have almost beat the game already are krazy.
Second: I haven't noticed the AI getting a boost UNLESS you win a better license. Then they get a lot better quick.
Third: The Honda Integra (our Acura RSX) is unbelievably good. I bought it as my second car. I also have won a Peugeot, its pretty cool and I think I want to keep it.

Why didn't they include a Paintshoppe? GRRRRrrrrr. Oh well.

BullitNC
09-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Alright racers, what cars have you won, or even just raced against that are not available in the car shop? So far, I've won a Mazda Cosmos that I can't find for sale, and I raced against a Chevelle...which I though was very cool. I had no idea there was a Chevelle in the game. I'm hoping for a few more of these surprises. The other two cars I won were in the car shop, just not for sale. One was a Renault rally car, the other was a Fiat Rally car.

DR2000
09-06-2002, 01:10 PM
I've won a Cheville in the drag racing. It goes as a special prize. That's was one hell of surprise.

Here are the cars that've got and will not sell:

4th Gen Camaro SS
Dodge Charger
Cheville SS

Awsome!

Ryan97
09-06-2002, 01:33 PM
I don't see why they had to boost the AI way off the chart everytime you upgrade.

That statement is false. The AI (as stated in a previous post) only gets faster as you earn licenses.

The whole point is to stay and race your event races earn some money, upgrade your car. If you dont get your next license your upgraded car will squash the level 1 competition until you earn your next license then you race against stiffer competition. The whole problem people are having is dropping some weight from your car giving a NA Tune and some race tires and thinking you are ready for Class B competition. It dosent work that way.

I started out with the 70's era Celica. Won the 3 official races and put off getting my license untill I had saved money suped my car to its max so I could win the first Drag competiton and win the prize car. And you cant win that until you have fully upgraded your car which takes time.

Once you get your C license things change. When I was in the unlicensed stage my car became untouchable even in the quarter mile. You need about a thirteen and a half second car to win that comp. But when you have the C it will take a car that runs in the 12's to win.

Stay down use the event races and stick there to earn money and win all the bonus cars they offer. If you try to progress to fast you will get hammered.

One important note.... Once you get the next license you cant go back to the older competition. Stay down win whats ther to win before moving up.

Kortiz
09-06-2002, 09:01 PM
hmmm, well drag racing is the funnest so far

i got the charger(still modding) MY FAV so far
got the chevelle
started out with a peugot(sp) 206 car, cost exactly 13000bucks
got that maxed out at 308hp, remember this is a 1900cc car LOL

got like 3 other POS cars that i cant sell, i need to mod the chevelle and finish the charger then save for a skyline and mod that biatch up. if i do that then i will be happy too lol and i will keep my C license until i get enough money to live on for a while.

other then that im set up witht he charger right now, 8000buck engine overhaul every 10 or so races but that is aight. just bust out my fully loaded 206 pos and win a couple races with with that.

yuppers im likin the game a lot so far.

much better then the original Sega GT on DC, although they took out some things i miss, such as: build your own car, wheel choices, a couple more things, im still in C license so it may progress as far as modding goes, who knows i will have to see, keep posting things guys,

post what you have bought/won and such so far too. if i get braodband im gonna be the BEST Dragstrip Racer!

BEWARE THE DODGE CHARGER

oh yeah the graphics are superb, SUPERB as far as graphix go.

im gonna go play now!

BullitNC
09-06-2002, 09:15 PM
You can seel those cars that you win. But you can't do it at teh car shop like in the old version. In your garage, there is a sell car button. Basically you park your car outside with a "for sale" sign on it. In a few days, somebody buys it. I've sold all of my rather boring prize cars that way. You select the asking price. If you ask too much it takes longer.

Kortiz
09-07-2002, 04:12 AM
well, i just got done playing GT2002 for about 7 hours, i got my A license and i am about to do the next license up from that, i tried once at it and i fialed by like 12 seconds, anyway i got the Ford GT Concept car now, and, i figured out how to sell all my crappy boring cars, just do it outside the garage like the guy above me said, i price them about twice what it is first set at, i have one car that is first set at 390,000 bucks, crazy ehh! anyway it is 4am here now and i need sleep, i need to get broadband ****** lol

hachirokku
09-07-2002, 06:23 AM
You can read this in Xboxaddicts Sega GT 2002 page.

Here is my review on Sega GT.

General / Summary: I am a big fan of Gran Turismo 3, ever since I bought the Xbox I had hoped that a racing simulation game, as good as or better than GT3, would be relased for this system. Finally Sega answered my wishes... sort of. Overall this is an excellent game, however, when being compared to GT3, it is far from being the definitive racing simulation experience. I feel that this game was rushed for release, so much more could have been done to make this the greatest racing game of all time. Please read below.

Gameplay: Controls are good, doesn't not have an arcade feel like Project Gotham, yet it lacks the more realistic feel of Gran Turismo 3.

In terms of tuning your car, Sega GT does not deliver in this area. Though there are many parts you can buy for your car, tuning the specific parts is limited (i.e. suspension, no gear ratios, no lsd..).

Tracks, although challenging, are limited. There should be more!

The AI is more like Artificial without the Intelligence. Again, I expected Sega to learn from the mistake that GT3 has with their AI. Computer opponents just follow their racing lines as if you are not there at all.

Damage meter.... realstic, but annoying. Good thing about it... you learn to drive better, avoiding other cars/road obsticles... bad thing about it is that it takes off your winnings, and can be very frustrating when the AI doesn't really know you're there and hits you anyway.

Visual: Graphically beautiful, but not amazing (not Xbox quality). Reflections, textures, and levels are good, but not far from Gran Turismo 3. I expected a lot more graphically from Sega GT, especially since its on Xbox. In my opinion, the cars themselves do not look as real as they do in GT3.

Sound: Best sound ever in a racing game. Love it when you hear the car engines fade from left to right (vice versa) when you pass other cars.

Suggestions to Developer: BETTER AI, more tracks, enhance graphics big time, include more depth in racing (i.e. apex's, tuning guides, .. etc.), better interface... very ugly presentation, take off damage meter, 4-players, system link (up to 16 racers)!

Overall Score: 7/10

Kortiz
09-07-2002, 01:42 PM
good review hack, yet still i am enjoying the game a whole lot. i too think that they rushed this game for released, i mean jebus the left out a lot of things they could have done. and if they were going to make the damage meter work it should have counted off more. getting first place with full damage and only getting 100 bucks would be better imo than getting first place with full damage and still getting 80% of the earnings. make it more realistic if you are gonna put that into this game. graphics are just fine as far as cars go, the detail of the tracks should have been much better. i want a feel like Need for Speed 3, the tracks are soooo huge, the cars are soooo beautiful in every aspect, all you needed to do was take that game and slap the simulation to it with modding your car, the whole bit. they left out the make your own car in Sega GT on DC, that is something i was looking forward too, WHY DID YOU TAKE THAT OUT! that was awesome, and you had more mods to choose from. the graphics of the car is what turned me off on DC, oh and the handling sucked a lot. you can tell a big difference when driving (random car) from the next (random car) sound, handling, feel, it all is different and gets better as you upgrade.

i give it an 87 our of 100, if i didnt enjoy it like i am this would have been diff, but no matter what the prob is with this game i cant stop thinking about it. lol yesterday it was an 84 out of 100, but i have decided to raise the bar some, i am enjoying this game a lot, 11days to choose whether or not to keep it or go trade it in for morrowind or enclave or gunmetel or nfl2k3

Kortiz
09-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Revit_X_man
I'm getting real sick of the AI, I was doing a oval-race, and I finished last place with the AI cars putting 20sec in front of me. I'm starting to get real fustrated with this game. I'm going to call EB, if they can give 40 for this game I'm trading it in. No matter what I do or how I race I can't keep up, even with leaving my car stock. I have 10-15 hrs so far and 4 cars. I don't see why they had to boost the AI way off the chart everytime you upgrade.

hmmm, what cars do you have? what license do you have too? i find the oval track is the easiest, i can do manual tranny real easy on that track and i finish about 5 to 10 seconds in front of the rest always.......post what you have on your cars and what you are driving. if i need a quick 18750 i drive the drag strip until i see an oval track race on one of the races to choose from....fast and easy money that way. i never get any damage on my cars in the oval track

Game_Geek
09-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH

hmmm, what cars do you have? what license do you have too? i find the oval track is the easiest, i can do manual tranny real easy on that track and i finish about 5 to 10 seconds in front of the rest always.......post what you have on your cars and what you are driving. if i need a quick 18750 i drive the drag strip until i see an oval track race on one of the races to choose from....fast and easy money that way. i never get any damage on my cars in the oval track

He already sold the game. He said its worth a rent but nothing more. He did get all his money back, since he sold it all Ebay. He said the oval track was great, but he was in some sort of rally car, that he won, in Sega GT mode, and got smoked everytime.
BTW: Revit_X_man is IP banned and will never come back......he said he enjoys it over TXB and won't come back. His loss our gain :D

Kortiz
09-14-2002, 02:10 AM
LOL, IP Banned ehh, oh well