PDA

View Full Version : Need help on HD TV and XBOX

netranger6
09-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Ok, I bought a 46'' Philips HD Projection, and it supports 480I/P and 1080/i/p. Here's the question, should I run out and get the High Definition AV pack now, or just keep using S-Video? I mean, if the game is not in High Def, will it still play if plugged into one of the High Def ports on the set? Bear with me, I'm new to the High Def. area. Any input would be great!!

JimmieDoogan
09-04-2002, 07:00 PM
If you read the warning on the inside cover of most of the Xbox games manual's you'll notice a little quip about "You should play Xbox on a projection TV". Why in GODS NAME did you get a projection TV? HD OF ALL THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! You should have gotten a solid state HDTV, like my buddy did. Anyway, if you want to see games at 480p, then you MUST buy the HD pack. Other wise your stuck with normal resolutions... plain and simple. If you don't have the HDTV pack, your not seeing HD resolutions.

LynxFX
09-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Get the Hidef pack. All Xbox games (with the exception of Agent Under Fire) are 480p games so you will benefit greatly from switching to component inputs.

For everything else, your tv will either convert it to 480p with its internal line doubler or just display it at 480i.

Enjoy a new world of gaming!! :)

LynxFX
09-04-2002, 07:03 PM
And don't worry about what JimmieDoogan said about all the warnings. If you take precautions you will never have a problem. Calibrate your tv and you will be fine. Never leave any still images on it, this goes for watching normal tv as well, and keep the contrast below 50%.

Zion
09-04-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
If you read the warning on the inside cover of most of the Xbox games manual's you'll notice a little quip about "You should play Xbox on a projection TV". Why in GODS NAME did you get a projection TV? HD OF ALL THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! You should have gotten a solid state HDTV, like my buddy did. Anyway, if you want to see games at 480p, then you MUST buy the HD pack. Other wise your stuck with normal resolutions... plain and simple. If you don't have the HDTV pack, your not seeing HD resolutions.

DING DING DING DING DING

Don't listen to this blithering idiot who obvisoulsy knows NOTHING about TV's. Projection TV's work just fine, I prefer them over 'solid state' any day since the largest 'solid state' you can get is 40". I'd hate to be stuck with a TV that small.

netranger6
09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, guess I'm getting the HD pack. Anyway, back to the topic of image burn. This particular model has Automatic Phosphor Aging Compensation...blah! In english, it basically shifts the image in 2-3 centimeter increments every 10-15 minutes, thus reducing the chance of image burn. Happens automatically, can't even notice, so I'm not too worried. Besides, solid state burns as well, my friend has the 1st, and 3rd base lines as well as the batters box burned on his WEGA 36 HD, the dumb ass left his game paused forever, like all weekend and split. Thanks again guys.

TIME
09-04-2002, 07:47 PM
I totally agree with the two above who steered you clear of jimmy's "the sky is falling" warning about burn in. Using just the normal amount of common sense will be sufficient here like not leaving town for the weekend with your Xbox baseball game on pause...SHEEEESH!

The HD Pak made by Microsoft is a good one. I personally use the Monster Component cables. These special cables will NOT give you high definition. Cables can't turn a low def game into a high def game magically by just passing the signal through the cable. What the cables do accomplish is much better color imaging than s-video. Listen, since you already have the TV, RUN don't walk to the store and get some...you will be o' so happy you did. :cool:

JimmieDoogan
09-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Zion

DING DING DING DING DING

Don't listen to this blithering idiot who obvisoulsy knows NOTHING about TV's. Projection TV's work just fine, I prefer them over 'solid state' any day since the largest 'solid state' you can get is 40". I'd hate to be stuck with a TV that small.

You shouldn't let your children touch your XboxAddict account. They really make you look foolish. What kind of child needs to insult another person to make themselves feel superiour? Honestly... I am simply conveying to him THAT WHICH IS ON THE INSIDE COVER TO EVERY SINGLE XBOX GAME IN EXISTANCE!!!!!! You may think of yourself as a better person, but truth be told in your own post... again don't let your children use your account here... they really sound stupid and don't represent any small amount of intelliegence what so ever... And if you had the slightest bit of understanding you would see that I still told him to buy an HD pack. You think you have all the answers... well.. if you were such a good person and if you were intelligent, you wouldn't need to insult others. Thats the lesson for the day children.

Vipermmx
09-04-2002, 08:59 PM
I hate projection for the simple fact there hard to see at angles.

Solid all the way. Unless your in a huge room then go for the big TV. If I tried to put anything above 32in in my room i wouldnt be able to move around lol.

Zion
09-04-2002, 09:09 PM

You shouldn't let your children touch your XboxAddict account. They really make you look foolish. What kind of child needs to insult another person to make themselves feel superiour? Honestly... I am simply conveying to him THAT WHICH IS ON THE INSIDE COVER TO EVERY SINGLE XBOX GAME IN EXISTANCE!!!!!! You may think of yourself as a better person, but truth be told in your own post... again don't let your children use your account here... they really sound stupid and don't represent any small amount of intelliegence what so ever... And if you had the slightest bit of understanding you would see that I still told him to buy an HD pack. You think you have all the answers... well.. if you were such a good person and if you were intelligent, you wouldn't need to insult others. Thats the lesson for the day children.

I wouldn't need to insult people if they just simply wouldn't expose their vast ignorance in public. If you don't know anything about the subject, keep your useless mouth shut. I shudder to think that someone might actually listen to your advice and base some kind of decision on your extreme misinformation.

Know your role, shut your mouth.

And if you can't think of anything better than 'you shouldn't let your children use your account' please give up and don't try again. We don't expect to see anything else out of your mouth on this subject...unless of course you magically gain some basic knowledge.

maximan00
09-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Plain and Simple:

Jimmy doesnt know what he is talking about. HDTV Projections do fine with consoles. Just dont pause something for 2 hours.

JimmieDoogan
09-04-2002, 10:11 PM
Children. *sigh* Like I said, I still told him to buy the HD pack, AND I WAS STILL TELLING HIM SOMETHING THAT IS STATED IN THE MANUEL FOR EVERY XBOX GAME OUT THERE. If I'm just passing along info about something he asked for how is it I'm offering misinformation. Do you not know how to read? Pull open one of those Xbox manuels and your hooked on phonics book and it will tell you all you need to know. And at least I don't have to resort to name calling to act as though I were the cream of human society. You are in truth, and as per both your posts, a very unintelliegent person. Your not ignorant my boi (yes you are a boi, no adult would resorte to the pathetic EXTREMES that you HAD to) your stupid, you lack the ability to learn. N E way, why not make some other childish comment now... after all, you've got all the answers right. You know everything about everything. Now prove your the bigger man and just walk away, or prove your STUPIDITY and fight with me some more...

Zion
09-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Children. *sigh* Like I said, I still told him to buy the HD pack, AND I WAS STILL TELLING HIM SOMETHING THAT IS STATED IN THE MANUEL FOR EVERY XBOX GAME OUT THERE. If I'm just passing along info about something he asked for how is it I'm offering misinformation. Do you not know how to read? Pull open one of those Xbox manuels and your hooked on phonics book and it will tell you all you need to know. And at least I don't have to resort to name calling to act as though I were the cream of human society. You are in truth, and as per both your posts, a very unintelliegent person. Your not ignorant my boi (yes you are a boi, no adult would resorte to the pathetic EXTREMES that you HAD to) your stupid, you lack the ability to learn. N E way, why not make some other childish comment now... after all, you've got all the answers right. You know everything about everything. Now prove your the bigger man and just walk away, or prove your STUPIDITY and fight with me some more...

It's hard to take someone serious when they are trying to explain how they are the smartest person in the thread, yet they can't even spell 'manual', 'anyway', or 'boy'.

Okay, Jimmie (JIMMMAAAAY!!!) you win. You're smarter than us. When you hook up an Xbox to a projection TV, it will blow up and burn your house down. :rolleyes:

Happy now? Bye, JIMMAAAYY!!!!

LynxFX
09-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Vipermmx
I hate projection for the simple fact there hard to see at angles.

You should check out front projection. You can see it at any angle and with an LCD or DLP projector you have ZERO chance for burn in. :D

As for the warnings on every xbox game that is just to cover the game publisher's back because burn in isn't impossible but it is hugely hyped.

jschelm
09-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

You should check out front projection. You can see it at any angle and with an LCD or DLP projector you have ZERO chance for burn in. :D

As for the warnings on every xbox game that is just to cover the game publisher's back because burn in isn't impossible but it is hugely hyped.

I also think, and someone can nicely correct me if I am wrong, that a) burn in happens faster on (rear) projection TV's that on tube tv's and that b) the older projection tv's are much more prone to it than the newest ones.

netranger6
09-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Ok, I love all this communication my friends, some of which has been helpful too! So check out the set that is being delivered at 9 A.M. to my house on Saturday, and tell me whatcha' think. I paid $1700.00 at Sears, think it's pretty nice personally.
My New TV (http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/ce/catalog/product.jhtml?divId=0&groupId=TV&catId=PROJTV&subCatId=55_64PROJDIGWIDESCREENTV&productId=46PP9302_37)

Thanks again.

LynxFX
09-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by jschelm
I also think, and someone can nicely correct me if I am wrong, that a) burn in happens faster on (rear) projection TV's that on tube tv's and that b) the older projection tv's are much more prone to it than the newest ones.

You are right on both accounts. Again this is mostly do to user error or improper settings on the tv's (factory settings are usually the fastest way to a burned in image).

Chr0nik
09-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Hey LynxFx, this may be a dumb question but I gotta ask it.

I have a 65 inch Hitachi Widescreen HDTV, when I play games that do not support 16:9 format, the image appears stretched out and the characters look a little fat. Is there a way to correct this without setting the TV to 4:3 mode which introduces the black bars on each side of the screen?