PDA

View Full Version : THE THING Is FrEaKiNg Awesome On XBOX!!!

DOOM
09-05-2002, 11:29 PM
I Have Played All Versions & The XBOX Version Is Best By Far!!!
I HIGHLY Recomend This Game... I Have Been Playing For Five Hours Straight!!!
GET THIS GAME NOW!!!:)

Dre
09-06-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by DOOM
I Have Played All Versions & The XBOX Version Is Best By Far!!!
I HIGHLY Recomend This Game... I Have Been Playing For Five Hours Straight!!!
GET THIS GAME NOW!!!:)

Did you play the PC version?? Do you think that since I don't have an HDTV I should try the PC b4 the Xbox? I'm expecting a non-fanboy answer since its from you Doom. :)

Knight
09-06-2002, 10:25 AM
It has No Dolby Digital Support and that sucks!!

borka105
09-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Doom please tell me how the game plays, and some interesting aspects in the game that set it apart from other games.

Currently I am playing Dead to Rights which in my mind one of the best action games ever.

What makes this game the one that i should shell out another 52.49?

thanks
-Borka105

pounder
09-06-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Knight

ah really? that blows i was gonna pick up this game, but if it doesnt have DD then i will reconsider it..are you sure it doesn't have it? thanx

Mercury
09-06-2002, 03:38 PM
I returned the Think the same day I got it. The graphics in it aren't very good and the whole game is lacking appeal. It's repetitive and too down right boring.

studepaber
09-06-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mercury
I returned the Think the same day I got it. The graphics in it aren't very good and the whole game is lacking appeal. It's repetitive and too down right boring.

How far did you get through it though? It gets rather exciting after the first two levels (as they are mainly tutorial boards). You start encountering more enemies, more types of enemies and your teammates become much more spastic.

Knight
09-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by pounder

ah really? that blows i was gonna pick up this game, but if it doesnt have DD then i will reconsider it..are you sure it doesn't have it? thanx

Yup No DD suport!!
I have a set for DD and it does not support it!! 2 Channel Sound only!!

Evil_InsidE
09-06-2002, 04:37 PM
The first 2 levels are kinda slow, but after that, it starts to rock and the whole fear/trust system starts to take effect. The action gets pretty fast and furious as Things start to attack when you least expect it. The game has a lot of unique features like the fact that the coldness outside can kill you. You have to keep going back inside or you'll die!

The developers worked on this game with the master of horror himself, John Carpenter, who directed the movie. Alot of the elements in the game are from the movie. Do your self a favor, and watch the movie. I watched it right before I played the game for the first time, and the similarities are right on.

With a unique fear/trust system, fast Max Payne-style action, and Silent Hill survival horror ambience and plot, The Thing is the perfect blend of 3 game genres and can appeal to alot of different players.

pounder
09-06-2002, 07:29 PM

Yup No DD suport!!
I have a set for DD and it does not support it!! 2 Channel Sound only!!

well then I probably won't end up getting it..man you spend all this money on the equipment and then they do this crap to ya..well maybe it won't be so bad with 5 channel stereo..have to rent it first..thanx

y2kash_14
09-06-2002, 08:06 PM
what i wanna know is, is the game actually scary? does it like freak you out sometimes? I was looking forward to this game ever since i saw the trailer in OXM Demo Disc #1

Zion
09-06-2002, 08:17 PM

What?? Are you SURE? I just don't believe that The Thing would be the first Xbox game NOT in Dolby Digital.

DOOM
09-06-2002, 11:34 PM
You Guy's Are NuTz!
Buy this Game NOW!!!
The Game Freaking Rocks!!!
You Dont Get It, Youll Miss Out!!
A Definite KEEPER!!!:)

MageOfTheMatrix
09-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Why would you not get a game just because it doesn't have DD? What matters most is the gameplay and then the graphics. What did you do before the xbox came along with 5.1 sound?

By the way, I rented The Thing DVD earlier this year and they actually added surround sound to this 20 year old movie!

I'm up to the 3rd level and I think the game is great so far. I think that you need to see the movie to trully understand the surroundings and the mood, which are done very well in the game.

I can't wait for my teammates to start turning into aliens.

pounder
09-07-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by MageOfTheMatrix
Why would you not get a game just because it doesn't have DD? What matters most is the gameplay and then the graphics. What did you do before the xbox came along with 5.1 sound?

By the way, I rented The Thing DVD earlier this year and they actually added surround sound to this 20 year old movie!

I'm up to the 3rd level and I think the game is great so far. I think that you need to see the movie to trully understand the surroundings and the mood, which are done very well in the game.

I can't wait for my teammates to start turning into aliens.

im sorry but when it comes to blowing 100 canadian on a game..this makes it or breaks it..i mean come on..your going to chreap out on the DD? 3/4 of my gaming experience is sound..i love it..if the game doesnt have it then I'll be sitting there playing it always *****ing about how it lacks DD5.1..I have the equipment, and prefer to use it to thge full extent..DTR and enclave are both games I would like to get, and both have DD5.1..so why would I settle for a game that doesn't have it? truth be had..i won't..i bought the xbox over the ps2 because of DD5.1, and i intend on using it.

DOOM
09-07-2002, 09:31 AM

im sorry but when it comes to blowing 100 canadian on a game..this makes it or breaks it..i mean come on..your going to chreap out on the DD? 3/4 of my gaming experience is sound..i love it..if the game doesnt have it then I'll be sitting there playing it always *****ing about how it lacks DD5.1..I have the equipment, and prefer to use it to thge full extent..DTR and enclave are both games I would like to get, and both have DD5.1..so why would I settle for a game that doesn't have it? truth be had..i won't..i bought the xbox over the ps2 because of DD5.1, and i intend on using it.
Dude, The Sound Is Awesome In This Game, Dont Be A Tard!
You Would Miss Out On A Awesome Just Because Of No DD?
What Kind Of Spoiled Brat Gamer Are You!
I Cant Keep The Game On My Shelves At My Shop,
Sells Like Crazy!
BUY THIS GAME!!!
The Thing RuLeS!:)

borka105
09-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Doom I have read three of your posts on how this game rocks. WHY DOES IT ROCK?

WHAT MAKES ME WANT TO SPEND 52.49 ON IT?

It just seems like you are avoiding my question.

Pounder, DTR is an awesome game, it's a must have for all action fans. I am on chapter 8 a little more than 1/2 through and the game just gets better and better.

-Borka105

Evil_InsidE
09-07-2002, 12:33 PM
borka105: I agree with DOOM, The Thing does rock. Look around for a review, I did a short one yesterday on this board.

The game has a lot of unique qualities about it. It's scary; it has a good amount of action(I'm only on the 3rd or 4th level); squad based team gameplay; great mood setting sound and music; the evironment effects your heath, causing you to have to go back inside often or you'll freeze to death.

Rent it.

If you like Max Payne, you'll like it - it has similar gameplay, control, action and environment interactivity.

If you like Silent Hill, you'll like it - has the same horror survival theme and atmosphere as SH.

If you like Half-Life, you probably like it - it has similar enemies, high-tech labs, and similar gameplay.

I can't think of any more games to compare it to.

Bottom line:
A squad based action/survival horror sci-fi game set in a hostile environment that can kill you if you are not careful. Your team can kill you, each other or themselves if you do not carefully manage them and lead them through the mission. Unique Trust/Fear system, cool graphics, good sound, great environment effects and lots of atmosphere.

pounder
09-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DOOM

Dude, The Sound Is Awesome In This Game, Dont Be A Tard!
You Would Miss Out On A Awesome Just Because Of No DD?
What Kind Of Spoiled Brat Gamer Are You!
I Cant Keep The Game On My Shelves At My Shop,
Sells Like Crazy!
BUY THIS GAME!!!
The Thing RuLeS!:)

lol spoiled brat..man the game probably does rock and thats why i'll rent it first..but I'm taking a stand against game manufacturers..if they think they can cut corners and still sell me a game their wrong..I mainly bought the xbox for the DD5.1 sound..if you aren't enjoying this feature then I would have to say you are the brat gamer.. :D

AmpedRider
09-07-2002, 08:50 PM
ya it is, i just bought it!!!!!!!!!

Anthony4sho
09-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Yea, I just bought the game also. This game is great. The gameplay is a first for a survival horror game. If you don't have it yet, go pick it up.

pounder
09-08-2002, 12:11 AM
I actually picked the game up today after much debate..its pretty good..I like the gameplay..using 5 channel stereo isnt so bad after all..its no DD but still cool..ive only got an hour or 2 in on the game so I really don;t have an informed opinion yet..but soon will..

DOOM
09-08-2002, 12:50 AM
Glad You Got It POUNDER!!!
I Love This Game...:)

pounder
09-08-2002, 12:59 AM
yeah it keeps getting better also..i think ive just begun too..im at thwe outpost station and you have to nail the 3 walking things to gain the trust of that one guy..seems liek a great game so far tho..its kind of jumpy at times, but It's not a big deal..I just hope this game isn;t short..that would suck lol

borka105
09-08-2002, 08:18 AM
i am really stuck between two games. I am either going to buy THE THING or HITMAN 2.

I got another question for THE THIN owners.

The main menu: Besides just having the Play Now choice, does it have any other things. Such as a chapter selection screen, or a movie screen?

thanks
-Borka105

redrum237
09-08-2002, 09:43 AM
No theres nothing speical on the main menu heres what it looks like.

New Game
Load Game
Options
Feild Manual
Credits

Feild Menu just shows you the differnt controls and how to command your squad, I guess its kinda speical but nothing to cool. But this game is still sweet as hell, a chapter selection would of been good, but this is still one of the best games I have.

Evil_InsidE
09-09-2002, 08:39 AM
pounder: you'll be happy with it. Just wait until you get to the next mission, the action gets heavier and more intense. You'll have to battle enemies coming from all around you. Your team does a good job at keeping them at bay. Battles can get pretty hairy as you try to kill enemies and manage your team at the same time, giving them ammo and keeping their health up.

I just finished the Sleeping Quarters and that level took me like 3 - 4 hours to finish. I finally got to witness a player kill himself because I couldn't calm him down in time. That was freaky.

This game kicks much ass. You guys need to at least rent it. But for me, it was a buy for sure.

TegSkywalker
09-09-2002, 12:20 PM

You guys are such a laugh a minute. You ***** and moan that a game doesn't have some Dolby 5.1 sound and you refuse to play it? Ha how times have changed. I remember back in the day when you played games for the gameplay and storyline themselves and not for little stuff like surround souund. I think all of you are nuts for being so damn picky. Just play the damn game and quit complaining!

pounder
09-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker

You guys are such a laugh a minute. You ***** and moan that a game doesn't have some Dolby 5.1 sound and you refuse to play it? Ha how times have changed. I remember back in the day when you played games for the gameplay and storyline themselves and not for little stuff like surround souund. I think all of you are nuts for being so damn picky. Just play the damn game and quit complaining!

well times have changed..i bought the xbox over the ps2 because of DD5.1..i have the equipment why not use it? why produce games that don't support it? why make the hardware and not use full advantage of it? when you have the edge over the competition by having it, why not use it? if I wanted no DD5.1 I would have gotten a ps2 or stayed with my ps1..picky? i don't think your picky enough..you may accept mediocrity, but I prefer to choose excellence..this game is not that..its a good game..good story..controls **** me off a bit..I will probably exchange it for DTR or enclave..it just doesnt merit 100 bux..im almost done the game..and yes I will continue to buy games that support DD to those that don't..that is why i bought the equipment..if I didn't have it I wouldn't care.

Woocifer
09-09-2002, 02:30 PM
This game is pretty cool...there is only one problem with it that I find. The coders or someone who was in charge of this game didnt notice the frame rate dropping and being very ticky.

For the most part the game will move somewhat nice but it hits points where it just runs crappy. It actually causes my eyes a lot of strain because of the jittery movement. It makes me upset actually because I really really like this game...but if I play it for an extended period of time, I find it just WREAKS HAVOC on my eyes.

too bad...they could have made it move so much smoother :( Try being outside in th ebeginning near the large hole by the helicopter...its ticky, same with the rendering in the video sequences...the snow just kills the processing for some reason...poor quality control in my opinion, but it is a good game!

Anthony4sho
09-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Woocifer
This game is pretty cool...there is only one problem with it that I find. The coders or someone who was in charge of this game didnt notice the frame rate dropping and being very ticky.

For the most part the game will move somewhat nice but it hits points where it just runs crappy. It actually causes my eyes a lot of strain because of the jittery movement. It makes me upset actually because I really really like this game...but if I play it for an extended period of time, I find it just WREAKS HAVOC on my eyes.

too bad...they could have made it move so much smoother :( Try being outside in th ebeginning near the large hole by the helicopter...its ticky, same with the rendering in the video sequences...the snow just kills the processing for some reason...poor quality control in my opinion, but it is a good game!

What r u guyz talkin about? I havent noticed any ticking in the game.

BTW, I'm on the very first boss and wanted to kno if any of u have beaten him and had any strategies? I got 24 shots left in my shotgun, one health pack, a machine gun, flame thrower, blow torch,one grenade, and half of my health is gone. I almost beat him earlier but i keep running out of ammo before i can get enough damage done or i run out of health. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

DOOM
09-09-2002, 09:16 PM
First Shoot The Crap Outa Him, Then Finish Him Off With Fire Grenades & The Blow Torch!!!
Heel Be Toast!!!
WHAT A FrEaKiNg AwEsOmE Game!:)

Rusted Gundam
09-09-2002, 09:56 PM
hey!! doom sounds like your hyped up about this game. Im definaly gonna have to buy this game..

This is mad dasher got my named changed.. I helped your business out by putting it in my sig.. Hows Game World going, noticed the webpage and glad to see improvement..

wulff
09-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Well i dont know what kinda copy of The Thing you got,BUT mine is in full lovely DD 5.1 SOUND.I feel special now,or somehting's wrong on your end.
I think the latter.

pounder
09-10-2002, 06:56 AM
my receiver syas Dolby digital but its only coming through the mains and sub..ive tried everything and theres no sound from the rears or centre..maybe you just think theres full 5.1 sound? cus I know theres not, and my system is set up to perfection. Every other game works in 5.1

Woocifer
09-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Anthony4sho

What r u guyz talkin about? I havent noticed any ticking in the game.

BTW, I'm on the very first boss and wanted to kno if any of u have beaten him and had any strategies? I got 24 shots left in my shotgun, one health pack, a machine gun, flame thrower, blow torch,one grenade, and half of my health is gone. I almost beat him earlier but i keep running out of ammo before i can get enough damage done or i run out of health. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Us guys? haha I thought it was just me... I've tried two copies and two xboxs and the game does not run at a full 30fps constantly. I notice a bit of a tick every now and then and have noticed the screen is very slow in certain areas.

Go to an area and just push your stick to the left or the right and keep circling... you'll see that the game slows when it turns to certain areas...that is a loss of frame rate because the game is trying to calculate the polygons on screen and the physics of the level...I find it distracting at times. It's like playing a FPS game with JUST enough video memory to make it run smooth almost all of the time...

Why couldnt they have refined this, or dropped the resolution down a bit, just to make it run smoother?

Evil_InsidE
09-10-2002, 08:22 AM

I noticed the cut scenes seem to have slight pauses, but during gameplay, it seems ok. I'm not sure what you mean by ticky?

It doesn't really bother me since once I've seen a cut scene, I skip the next time it plays.

The one gripe I have about the game is the fact that once you die, you only have the choice to start the level over again or exit to the main screen. An option to reload your save would be nice. I hate the fact that I have to exit to the main screen and select load game again. The load time are short though so that's not a real big deal.

TegSkywalker
09-10-2002, 10:23 AM

well times have changed..i bought the xbox over the ps2 because of DD5.1..i have the equipment why not use it? why produce games that don't support it? why make the hardware and not use full advantage of it? when you have the edge over the competition by having it, why not use it? if I wanted no DD5.1 I would have gotten a ps2 or stayed with my ps1..picky? i don't think your picky enough..you may accept mediocrity, but I prefer to choose excellence..this game is not that..its a good game..good story..controls **** me off a bit..I will probably exchange it for DTR or enclave..it just doesnt merit 100 bux..im almost done the game..and yes I will continue to buy games that support DD to those that don't..that is why i bought the equipment..if I didn't have it I wouldn't care.

Hey hey now!!! You read into things waaaay to much and way to picky about little details. Times have not changed and YES (OMFG HE TELLS THE TRUTH) gameplay excels over graphics any day. That's why GTA3 continues to sell more than all the XBOX games. Gameplay that appeals to us. Gameplay is king. That's why Earthbound on the SNES was such a killer game even though the graphics were subpar.

The reason I got the XBOX is because I like the hardware, I like the games (and best multiplatform titles), I like the extras such as DVD playback, and I like that we are getting exclusives like Shenmue II and Halo that others can't have. I refuse to play a game if the gameplay and longetivity doesn't match the value of the game, not if it doesn't support Dolby 5.1.

Woocifer
09-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Evil_InsidE

I noticed the cut scenes seem to have slight pauses, but during gameplay, it seems ok. I'm not sure what you mean by ticky?

It doesn't really bother me since once I've seen a cut scene, I skip the next time it plays.

The one gripe I have about the game is the fact that once you die, you only have the choice to start the level over again or exit to the main screen. An option to reload your save would be nice. I hate the fact that I have to exit to the main screen and select load game again. The load time are short though so that's not a real big deal.

I know this is hard to understand...believe me its tough to explain. When you move your guy around he will move quicker and the camera movement will be smoother in certain areas than in others... when you go into aim mode in The Thing, the movement is very smooth. But when you walk around corners, strafing or even just running and turning in certain areas, the camera and movement will stutter slightly, or the frames per second will drop down... its hard on the eyes sometimes. Choppy frames = headache.

pounder
09-10-2002, 12:49 PM

Hey hey now!!! You read into things waaaay to much and way to picky about little details. Times have not changed and YES (OMFG HE TELLS THE TRUTH) gameplay excels over graphics any day. That's why GTA3 continues to sell more than all the XBOX games. Gameplay that appeals to us. Gameplay is king. That's why Earthbound on the SNES was such a killer game even though the graphics were subpar.

The reason I got the XBOX is because I like the hardware, I like the games (and best multiplatform titles), I like the extras such as DVD playback, and I like that we are getting exclusives like Shenmue II and Halo that others can't have. I refuse to play a game if the gameplay and longetivity doesn't match the value of the game, not if it doesn't support Dolby 5.1.

well thats just great..for you..do you actually have the equipment for DD5.1? gameplay is important..yes..graphics are important..yes..If I am interested in 2 games equally and one has DD and the other doesn't..which will I get? hmmm..I find it hard to believe that you guys question the fact I like DD5.1..have you ever played with it? how could you go back..5 channel stereo isnt bad, but its no DD5.1..I love playing halo and hearing a grunt running behind me so I turn around and smoke his azz..thats great stuff..so the reasons you bought your box is all well and good..but the reason i bought mine could be different..is that so hard to acknowledge?

Evil_InsidE
09-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Woocifer:

I understand now. I think I have experienced this during gameplay a little. I definitely have seen this during cut scenes. I wonder if it's an issue with the game or the copies we have?

pounder
09-10-2002, 01:49 PM
hmm this is weird but it is DD5.1..I don;t know what was going on but now it works..maybe I wasn't listening in the right areas, and took the one guys comment as fact..so I automatically switch to 5 channel stereo..right on we got dd5.1..lol

Evil_InsidE
09-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Now don't you feel silly?

pounder
09-10-2002, 02:46 PM

not really..just made an honest mistake..im still bringing this game back..im almost done it lol

TegSkywalker
09-10-2002, 02:55 PM

well thats just great..for you..do you actually have the equipment for DD5.1? gameplay is important..yes..graphics are important..yes..If I am interested in 2 games equally and one has DD and the other doesn't..which will I get? hmmm..I find it hard to believe that you guys question the fact I like DD5.1..have you ever played with it? how could you go back..5 channel stereo isnt bad, but its no DD5.1..I love playing halo and hearing a grunt running behind me so I turn around and smoke his azz..thats great stuff..so the reasons you bought your box is all well and good..but the reason i bought mine could be different..is that so hard to acknowledge?

Whatever man... I could care less. Its just sound.

pounder
09-10-2002, 03:13 PM

Whatever man... I could care less. Its just sound.

lol with that statement you made me feel genuinely bad for you..your missing out.

wulff
09-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Well i have to say it,BUT i told ya so..
oh yeah my system is set up to perfection as well.:rolleyes:
My system,
Denon 4800
Energy a5+2 mains
Energy ac-300 center
Energy rvss surrounds
Energy ex-12 sub
Tosh 55hx70 hdtv

pounder
09-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by wulff
Well i have to say it,BUT i told ya so..
oh yeah my system is set up to perfection as well.:rolleyes:
My system,
Denon 4800
Energy a5+2 mains
Energy ac-300 center
Energy rvss surrounds
Energy ex-12 sub
Tosh 55hx70 hdtv

lol gotta love the sarcasm man..nice stuff..i run a affordable setup..love it..sounds so freekin good for what i paid for it..

JVC RX8010vbk receiver
CV LS-10 mains
CV-LS6C centre
CV LS-6 rears
CV CVT-200s sub

AmpedRider
09-10-2002, 08:07 PM
help me i cant kill the 3 walkers to make williams or whatever trust u (its the reasearch center lvl 3)

pounder
09-10-2002, 08:15 PM
shoot and flame man..shoot and flame..i like to put down a wall of flames when theres walkers..then shoot the hell out of them then roast em..

Woocifer
09-10-2002, 08:43 PM

I dont think its the copies...I've tried it on two different xboxes and have had 2 different copies...I dont think its the game I think its the conversion from the pc and the development team didnt tweak it for the graphics card we have in the xbox...

aggrivating...

TegSkywalker
09-10-2002, 11:23 PM

lol with that statement you made me feel genuinely bad for you..your missing out.

I've heard Dolby surround before and a friend has it. I just don't feel like dishing out amounts of cash that I don't need to spend while going to school full time. So I am missing out.. so what?

pounder
09-11-2002, 12:49 AM

I've heard Dolby surround before and a friend has it. I just don't feel like dishing out amounts of cash that I don't need to spend while going to school full time. So I am missing out.. so what?

god are you ****ed off at the world?..i think you need to take a chill pill..relax..you'll feel better, and live longer :rolleyes:

TegSkywalker
09-12-2002, 12:22 AM

god are you ****ed off at the world?..i think you need to take a chill pill..relax..you'll feel better, and live longer :rolleyes:

Oh and btw why dont you check out this link (http://www.goatse.cx) mr "I got to learn when to stop being defensive and move on" smarty pants.

pounder
09-12-2002, 12:39 AM

Oh and btw why dont you check out this link (http://www.goatse.cx) mr "I got to learn when to stop being defensive and move on" smarty pants.

you sire are an idiot..but not just an idiot..a perverted immature idiot..have a nice day..btw..i know the link so i won't click it..im not into the same things you are..lol hilarity :rolleyes:

DVDGNZ
09-12-2002, 03:34 AM
How do you know what the link contains? It was pretty dumb.

DOOM
09-12-2002, 07:07 AM
Did You Guy's See The First Boss Yet, SiCk!!!
How About Those Bull Like Creatures With Teeth & Tenticles All Ovaz Them!!!
I LOVE THIS GAME!:p

oogyboogyman
09-12-2002, 12:11 PM
I currently playing THE THING on an alienware area51 computer with geforce4 ti4600 and it is excellent. My friend just purchased it on the xbox and it looks and plays great. What i am trying to say is if you want better graphics and you have a highpowered pc, go with the pc version. I do think the controls on the xbox are easier for this kind of game though. Both are great buys.

Gamer4TheAges
09-12-2002, 12:16 PM
The Thing is great. What a game to really get into.
I have't had too much time to play it, but I'm gonna get back in the swing of things soon..

Spaztic
09-12-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by DVDGNZ

check the properties of the link....it gives the dns name. It is pretty easy to tell what type of content is on the site by a dns name!

pounder
09-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DVDGNZ

its posted on sounddomain at least 4 times a week..all the immature people post it up, and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread..I actually don't know excactly what it contains, but i have a general idea, so i just don't click it..

redrum237
09-12-2002, 01:33 PM
if you put your mouse over the link and look at the corner of your web browser, it tells you where it leads.

TegSkywalker
09-12-2002, 02:48 PM

you sire are an idiot..but not just an idiot..a perverted immature idiot..have a nice day..btw..i know the link so i won't click it..im not into the same things you are..lol hilarity :rolleyes:

*pushes you over and throws things*

Highlite23
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
AH, another thread taking a turn for the worse.........should be used to it by now i guess.:rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, this game is tons O fun i agree. And yes i did notice a little frame rate issue in the cut scenes and occasionaly in game play.

But, the Fear & Trust system are a great twist to this type of game. Well worth it IMO.

Havn't gotten that far, but the action is intense since your in charge of keeping your squad stocked with weapons, ammo, and sanity.

Lastly, i know you touched on it, it is in Dolby Digital, and you can hear the little infected creeps behind you. The suspense lies in the fact you hear them, but when you turn you have to look around a bit, so the heart starts pumpin', may not be the years best, but it's a quality pick for purchase or a long weekend rental.

robnyack
09-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Has anbody else notice this from the GAMESPOT review?:

This makes no sense. They put out the review of The THING for the ps2 last week. Gave it an 8.4. Now the xbox version has been reviewed and it also gets an 8.4. Each version was rated exactly the same for each catagory, including the graphics catagory in which they were both given an 8. Here's the kicker, this is what they say in the XBOX review:

Visually, The Thing is a terrific-looking Xbox game. The character models are detailed and feature expressive faces that help reflect their state of mind. The animations for firing weapons, moving, and interacting with the environment are all very well done. The environments themselves range from desolate snowy terrain at night to underground caverns to densely packed bases. All of them are very detailed and look weatherworn, which totally fits with what was seen in the original film. The alien creatures you'll encounter are suitably grotesque, as are the transformations of seemingly normal people into the creatures. The textures and lighting in the Xbox version are fantastic; everything just looks so much more detailed than in the PS2 version. Unlike in the PS2 release, the flashlight is actually a light source in the Xbox version, which makes it extra creepy since a lot of the areas you have to explore are really dark, forcing you to use your flashlight to see. The Xbox version also has an extremely stable frame rate that never really slows down, even when tons of enemies appear on the screen at once.

And yet despite saying the game looks much better on the xbox, they both get an 8 rating in the graphics catagory. Makes sense, eh?

pounder
09-12-2002, 07:36 PM
gamespot is biased to the ps2..just liek alot of other reviewers..sad really

AmpedRider
09-12-2002, 07:47 PM
gamespot is biased to the ps2..just liek alot of other reviewers..sad really

just about every site has gone that way... maybe not gamefaqs

Slacker
09-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Okay I personally think Gamespot and IGN suck for reviews , but I can explain why a PS2 game and a Xbox game can get the same score,

They review a game based on the system and its requirments , so basically they compare other comparable games to the game, so if a ps2 game got an 8 on graphics it would be a 6 on Xbox

redrum237
09-13-2002, 03:20 AM
I think there rating system is crap, alot of people dont know they judge on the system, so when they see PS2 getting better scores on everything they will get a PS2. This will lower the sales of Xbox,, less developers will make games for it, less games come out, less people buy becasue of the lack of games, the less games come, less fun for me. Sad horribly chain reaction:(

09-14-2002, 08:11 PM
i just picked it up and think it's pretty good...i like how it picks up right after the movie. the only problem is i suck and i'm having trouble on lvl. 1, can someone tell me how to complete the objective where you have to find evidence and resue someone? I think that's the last main objective i need, the other 2 are to survive and to go to the extraction piont. thanks

robnyack
09-15-2002, 12:18 AM
i bought the game yesterday. I LOVE this game!!! This game is AWESOME. Very nice graphics (not earth-shattering, but very nice), nice sound, and most importantly, great game play! Also, scary as ****!

FINALLY, some originality in game play. Excellent job in coming up with the game play involving your squad and the whole fear/truth thingy. Works very nice, and IT'S ORIGINAL. Thank god for some original game play.

DOOM
09-15-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by robnyack
i bought the game yesterday. I LOVE this game!!! This game is AWESOME. Very nice graphics (not earth-shattering, but very nice), nice sound, and most importantly, great game play! Also, scary as ****!

FINALLY, some originality in game play. Excellent job in coming up with the game play involving your squad and the whole fear/truth thingy. Works very nice, and IT'S ORIGINAL. Thank god for some original game play.
AMEN,
AwEsOmE Game Indeed!:)

pounder
09-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by guest
i just picked it up and think it's pretty good...i like how it picks up right after the movie. the only problem is i suck and i'm having trouble on lvl. 1, can someone tell me how to complete the objective where you have to find evidence and resue someone? I think that's the last main objective i need, the other 2 are to survive and to go to the extraction piont. thanks

the extraction point is around the first building i think..i remember doing this also..and i just ran around til it went into a cut scene..

09-15-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks dude i'll check it out:) i didn't have much time to play yesterday, but tonight i'm gonna play til my frickin fingers hurt:D