PDA

View Full Version : A quick review of The Thing

Evil_InsidE
09-06-2002, 08:49 AM
I want to give you guys my impressions of The Thing after 2 hours of playing it. Here goes:

I started off by watching the 1982 classic John Carpenter's The Thing collector's edition on DVD. I did so because: A) the movie kicks ass B) the DVD was free when I pre-ordered The Thing for Xbox, and most importantly C) the game is a sequel to the movie.

While it's not necessary to have seen the movie, I HIGHLY recommend it. The game ties in tighly with the movie(from what I can tell from 2 hours if playing the game) and the developers have captured the mood and style of the movie, transporting the player into the sub zero climate of Anartica where both movie and game take place. Locations, names, and events are directly from the movie, while sound effects, lighting and even the music are very similar. By far the biggest idea taken from the movie is the Fear/Trust system. A major concept in the movie was the fact that no one could trust each other and this is reproduced in the game. Fear is also a plays a huge part in the game as you encounter the the various forms of The Thing and discover it victims in what state they may be in.

The game plays like a cross between Max Payne and Silent Hill. The control and action are similar to Max, while the atmosphere and mood feel like Silent Hill.

Graphics are very good. Chararcters are nicely done and the environment(the single one I've seen) looks really good.

The first mission or two are a bit slow, but you are learning how to control your character/team and use the games interface. The gameplay picks up as you progress, with more encounters with The Thing happening more often.

I really like this game so far, I commend you all check it out, especially fans of the movie.

ChiZel_MunKee
09-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the review. I've wanted to get this game since the trailer came out, but a lack of money has stopped me. Although I think I'll at least try to rent it for now. One question, do you think that the game will still be fun after you've beaten it or will it collect dust? I liked Silent Hill 2, but if I would've beaten it (rented) that would've pretty much been it.

DOOM
09-07-2002, 09:37 AM
THE THING Is AwEsOmE!!!
The Best Game I Have Played In A Long While!!!
Buy It NoW!!!!
:)