PDA

View Full Version : Halo controls

[oXo]
09-07-2002, 09:19 AM
Hey guys. I will be buying HALO next week I hope (money money money) and I wanted to ask: How are the controls?
I mean, on the PC in, let's say SOF II, - I use the mouse to have the best accuracy when pointing and shooting. Is the XboX controller "good enough" to simulate the great controls of a mouse when it comes to "point and shoot"?
Is there target tracking in Halo to make things a bit easier?
I know nothing of the controls in Halo and would love your input on how the controls actually work.

Thanx guys :)

ScorpionX
09-07-2002, 10:04 AM
These are the basic controls, but you can change them:

Left Thumbstick- walk any way, strafe
Right Thumbstick- Aims up down, look sensitivity can be adjusted to make it fast. You click it in to zoom in on sniper guns.
Right Trigger- fire weapon
Left Trigger- Throw grenade
A- Jump
B- Melee Attack
Y- change weapon

I really think the controls are excellent for a console FPS. There is no tracking, but it is not hard to get a person in aim, it is more of a slower paced shooter.

Hope this helps. :)

[oXo]
09-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Excellent Scorpion}{

Thanx man:cool:

Snapple
09-08-2002, 09:29 AM
yes,the controls arent complicated and are very easy to handle and master

Reclaimer
09-08-2002, 07:31 PM
But the beauty of this game is that there is a multitude of controller configurations so you will find either a perfect or close match to your style. Then if the aim is too slow you can bump the speed up or down to suit your playing style.

For instance I use the default control scheme.
Boxer mode: melee and grenade are switched.
Inverted controls for vehicles only.
Targeting speed increased to level 4.

SquirrelJam
09-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Keyboard is great and no doubt, you're a master at it. Give the controller a chance. It took me a little getting used but being the humans we are, we'll adapt... we had to with the keyboard once.

Remember, an expert in anything was once a beginner. Go out a get HALO! the first chance you get and open your mind to an awesome experience!

now GO!!

EHWfedPres
09-10-2002, 02:08 PM
halo's default controls are as follows...

left stick - move forward/backward and strafe side to side.
right stick - look up/down/side to side.
a - jump
b - melee
x - reload/pick up new weapons/action
y - change weapon
white - flashlight
black - change grenade type
left trigger - toss grenade
right trigger - fire weapon
press left stick - crouch
press right stick - zoom in

I use the default controls, but for the buttons, I have it set to green thumb, which changes the b button to zoom and clicking the right stick is melee.

[oXo]
09-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Thanx for all your great replies guys. I'm sure I can get used to it with all the great joysticks and buttons. BTW to make things clear: I LOVE the xbox controller ;)
Just got Hunter: The Reckoning and I find the controls easy as pie.

The Clown
09-13-2002, 06:33 PM
The controls are really good and easy to use

Spacewolf
09-16-2002, 01:29 AM
After playing Halo so many times I got better at it than a keyboard. Boy that sucked for me at a Lan party I went to.. :D

samslophead
09-25-2002, 02:48 PM
I switched the joystick controls on my Halo, so that the left stick controls forward/reverse and turning while the right stick controls look up/down and strafing. It's more like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark controls. I also sped up my joystick sensitivity. Anyone else do this, or give a ****?

[oXo]
09-25-2002, 04:44 PM
No, but I sure appreciate all the comments. Now I know some good tips when I sink my teeth into
......all bow.....HALO (crowd goes wild):D

ibloshtup
09-29-2002, 07:46 AM
whew, i wish i was buying halo and playing it for the first time. :D
I play fps games on my comp all the time. the halo controls are good after a little play time. but i still wish there was a keyboard and mouse available.

jaxspider
10-07-2002, 03:12 AM
Other then the amazing details, great gameplay, longass game, awesome storyline & a great party game. The Controlling is just Sweet! w00t! :D

Darius1
10-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Yea...halo kicks some major @$$....i remember when i first watched a movie on some demo disk of mine...i was forever hooked on it...but anywho...

I just got meself my XBOX and i only got 2 games...HALO and NIGHTCASTER (its actually pretty good)....can anyone wait till HALO 2 comes out?....i sure as hell cant...

EHWfedPres
10-14-2002, 02:41 PM
I dont see why other games adapt the strafe control like Hunter...it's simple and not hard to use at all...

I'd rather slit my wrists than play Max Payne again...

Stride
10-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

I'd rather slit my wrists than play Max Payne again...

It'd be a shame if we lose yet another human live to gaming. I think that one guy in Thailand was more than enough :)

EHWfedPres
10-15-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Stride

I think that one guy in Thailand was more than enough :)

what happened to the first guy? i heard about a guy having a heart attack playing pacman, but that was a long time ago...

Stride
10-16-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

what happened to the first guy? i heard about a guy having a heart attack playing pacman, but that was a long time ago...

I'm not quite sure but i think that Thai guy died of exhaustion or something.