PDA

View Full Version : Question to DTR owners

bwn82k
09-07-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm interested in buying this game, today perhaps. Before I do I wanted to get a question answered before I waste my money. Basically I just want to know about the controls. I'm a left handed player and I find that some games don't have a wide variety of controller configurations. If someone (better if a lefty) could explain the controller setup, variety of configuration (if any), and if they find the game controls to be easy to adapt to or not. Thanks

hook-worm J
09-07-2002, 01:35 PM
The controls are great IMO.

left thumbstick- moves jack slate.
right thumbstick- controls camera
left trigger- duck/crouch
right trigger- lock onto an enemy
A- fires weapon. Punches without a weapon.
B- takes human shield if you have a weapon in your hand, if not you either disarm him if you dont have the weapon he has, or you snap his neck. When done with a human sheild you press it and jack will "get rid" of him. Use B to hug against a wall, then you can peak out and fire. He also grabs a guy and throws him with B when you dont have a weapon in hand. zooms out with sniper rifle.
Y- jack dives if you tap it, he dives in slow motions for bullet time if you hold it for a sec. zooms in with sniper rifle.
X- kicks when you dont have a weapon.
left/right D-pad- selects weapon or shadow.
up/down D-pad- brings out weapon, or puts away weapon.

I dont think there are any other control schemes... I really recommend getting this game, its the best action game I have ever played. There is so much variety in this game, and the action never stops.

bwn82k
09-07-2002, 01:38 PM
I won't buy this game if I cant switch the controls for the two joysticks (So that the left joystick moves the camera). Assuming the camera angle is what you aim with. is that so?

I had the same problem with 007. i coundn't change the joystick controls and i sold the game 10 minutes after i bought it.

hook-worm J
09-07-2002, 01:52 PM
no, the right thumbstick just moves the camera so you can see better in certain areas. you aim at guys by using the right trigger, this locks onto the closest enemy, if you want to lock onto a different enemy you quickly release and press the trigger again. you can go into manual targeting aim, were you will have to aim the crosshair at the guys, but for this you use the LEFT thumbstick. There are certain times where you will have to shoot from a machine gun and snipe the guys, but all the aiming is done with the left thumbstick. The right thumstick only moves the camera and you dont exactley have to be very coordinated to do it.

bwn82k
09-07-2002, 05:23 PM
Turok is great I got that game. I love it.

I just rented Dead to Rights from Blockbuster (I was surprized they had it). I haven't had a chance to play it yet but thank you hook-worm J for your input. The controls sound like something I can adapt to easily. I'm looking foward to playing it. Thanks again.

borka105
09-07-2002, 10:18 PM
i am left handed, and i have dtr. The controls are great for me.

I love the game so far, it's a definite keeper.

-Borka105

Shadylx
09-08-2002, 04:51 AM
the game is cool but its rediculously hard, so be prepared

addicted_2_xbox
09-08-2002, 07:16 AM
I'm also a lefty and the controls are prettty good. The game is hard but only at certain parts (stupid hookers!). I've been playing for two weeks, and an average of 1 hour and a half a day. I think i am just about to beat it.

bwn82k
09-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadylx
the game is cool but its rediculously hard, so be prepared

You dam right it is. I'm up to the part where you fight all the guys in the jailhouse to get packs of cigs. There's like 30 guys here and I only have 1/3 of the health bar to beat all of them. I've made about 60 attempts to beat this part so far. It's to the point where it's no longer fun. And you have to hear that same dialoge every time. I got this as a rental which I said I would try first then buy. I'm slowly reconsidering.

borka105
09-10-2002, 09:13 AM
dude that part was so easy. They're are tons of life packs in each cell. Just go inside a cell and grab a lifepack

that level is supposed to be a warmup on how to fight.

You haven't even gotten a taste of what this game can do.

-Borka105

Dre
09-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by borka105
dude that part was so easy.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. There is nothing easy in this game...

I own it, and have finished it 2x and have yet to find a chapter "easy". Nothing wrong with that though, its still quite playable.. just not very easy. Great game

studepaber
09-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bwn82k

You dam right it is. I'm up to the part where you fight all the guys in the jailhouse to get packs of cigs. There's like 30 guys here and I only have 1/3 of the health bar to beat all of them. I've made about 60 attempts to beat this part so far. It's to the point where it's no longer fun. And you have to hear that same dialoge every time. I got this as a rental which I said I would try first then buy. I'm slowly reconsidering.

At some points in this game you can find ways to 'sort of' cheat against the guys you're killing. At the jail part, when you're in the cell blocks, don't try to fight everyone at once. Instead stay up in the small section where you enter, walk out into the large area to draw the prisoners closer to you, then walk back into the small area once they all come running after you and they will casually turn around and forget what they were doing. This way you can single guys insted of taking them all on at once. Also dive alot if surrounded, you become temporarily invulnerable to attacks that way. Hope this helps and like the other guy said you have barely scratched the surface of this game, give it some time and don't get overly frusterated.

Dre
09-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by studepaber

At some points in this game you can find ways to 'sort of' cheat against the guys you're killing. At the jail part, when you're in the cell blocks, don't try to fight everyone at once. Instead stay up in the small section where you enter, walk out into the large area to draw the prisoners closer to you, then walk back into the small area once they all come running after you and they will casually turn around and forget what they were doing. This way you can single guys insted of taking them all on at once. Also dive alot if surrounded, you become tempporarily invulnerable to attacks that way. Hope this helps and like the other guy said you have barely scratched the surface of this game, give it some time and don't get overally frusterated.

Good advice. Also, don't forget the P+K button combo when you are surrounded or someones at your back. The most I've knocked down is 4 guys with one P+K move, but I'm sure you could get more!

borka105
09-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Dre, that's level 2 which is still a tutorial level because here you figure out how to reverse throws.

It might have been hard for you, but I thought that was pretty easy. I am on chapter 10 btw.

-Borka105

Dre
09-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by borka105
It might have been hard for you, but I thought that was pretty easy.

For some reason I was thinking of the jail part where all the dudes have guns.

bwn82k
09-10-2002, 02:42 PM
studepaber, yes I figured out how to do that. I thought it was cheap AI at first, but then noticed I could use it to my advantage. Still though, I might just play the sh*t out if it as a rental, but's that's about it. I don't think I want to buy it.