PDA

View Full Version : S Video Cable

tbird
11-09-2001, 09:46 AM
I'M GOING TO BUY AN S VIDEO CABLE FOR THE XBOX. I KNOW THAT XBOX WILL BE SELLING THEIRS FOR $19.99 BUT I SEE THAT INTERACT 'S WILL BE $9.99.

DO YOU GUYS THINK THERE'S A DIFFERENCE? WOULD XBOX'S BE BETTER IN PICTURE QUALITY?/ GIVE ME SOME ASSISTANCE PLEASE.

ALL BEST .

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 10:07 AM
believe it or not yes there is. some people will say ther isnt but there is.. The metels used and such forth... I suggest what you buy depends on your tv. If you have a nice wega or simular I would get a monster cable s video they are a bit pricy but the pic improves alot... Same with adio cords monster cales makes the best .

tbird
11-09-2001, 10:10 AM
Well Scarecrow, my tv is a 35 inch trinitron TV ... The one that has the speaker holes on the side ...

What do you recommend or anyone else?

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 10:21 AM
I would say the monster still. I just wanted to make sure it was a ge or something. They are pricy 30-40 but I went cheap the first round on the P2 I alreay had a monster for my dvd... I switched it to my P2 and there was a big dif... So I can only imagine the diff on the box. If need be get the ones you mentioned and than get the big boy later on . My friend had a cheap one and I had him get a monster and he was happy I did so.

Marc
11-09-2001, 10:29 AM
Monster cable is the *****. You can't go wrong AND S-video does make a big difference. It's totally worth it.

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 11:18 AM
I never thought about that...Good idea! I normally would, except I didn't stop and think because I have been so pumped up about getting the XBox :D

tbird
11-09-2001, 12:24 PM
WELL I ALREADY WENT AND BOUGHT THE INTERACT S VIDEO CABLE FOR $9.99. IT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD AND I'M SURE IT'LL GIVE ME A BETTER PICTURE THAN THE STANDARD AV CABLES...

NOW, ARE THEY GOING TO SELL MONSTER CABLES FOR XBOX.. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT ADVERTISED ANYWHERE. I KNOW I JUST CAN'T BUY ANY OF THOSE THAT ARE IN THE STORE SINCE IT HAS TO FIT IN THE XBOX BOARD WITH THE ADAPTER...

ANYONE KNOW WHERE THERE SELLING ONE FOR THE XBOX IN CASE I GET ONE LATER..

THANKS TO ALL THAT ARE RESPONDING...

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 12:34 PM
tbird...the ports on the XBox should support any S-video cable...but, we will have to see...I'll buy one after I buy my XBox.

Also, no offense, but your cap locks are making me feel stressed! lol...

BlaZeR2
11-09-2001, 12:44 PM
maximus,

the advanced av packs for the xbox us a multipin connection into the back of the box, then from there to a small connection block. This block has all the plugs for s video, audio, and digital sound.

Yes, any s-video cable can run from the connection block to the tv, but you have to get the connection block. Monster is selling complete AV packs for the xbox. they are more expensive, but will be well worth it.

If you bought the advanced AV pack, you can still go out and buy just a monster s-video cable, to go from the connection block to the tv.

Just FYI :D

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 12:49 PM
BlazeR...thanks for the info. So, what do you recommend purchasing with the XBox console that doesn't come with it to get the best results? I haven't bought anything else in regards to hooking it up. I appreciate your help :)

BlaZeR2
11-09-2001, 01:02 PM
it depends on your setup. If you have a nice, newer tv, dolby digital receiver, or what....

for me, I already have the MS Advanced AV pack sitting in my living room waiting for "The Box" to be delivered. I bought that to hold me over until the Monster Gamelink 300 for the XBOX is out. I will use an opticial digital cable to my receiver to get the 5.1 dolby digital sound pumping through my yahama and Cerwin Vegas. And i will use the svideo cable that came with the AV pack to connect it to my receiver for switching.

When the Monster cables come out, I will upgrade to that connection. I don't think they are coming out until the 15th or 16th though....and I wanted to make sure I could play as soon as it gets delivered.

If you have S-Video, i would highly recommend using it, unless, of course, if you have component inputs available that aren't being used for your DVD player. My current receiver doesn't do component video switching, but I gurantee that my next one WILL. then I will have the XBOX and my dvd player going through my receiver to my Sony 32" Wega tv (until my Pioneer 65" Letterbox HDTV arrives) - then I will have to get the Monster Gamelink 400 component cables for the XBOX ;)

But enough about my stuff....

the point is....If you have Svideo, use it. If you can find them or wait until they come out, use the Monster cables....but the MS cables aren't bad at all. they will work just fine.

BlaZeR2

- Can't wait to kick back and rock some Covenant A$$ in Halo

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 01:12 PM
Look to see what is cheaper the monster s with adapter or the monster for the box.. I would go with the one that is made for the box from monster if it is really coming out... There cables are the best.... put it like this there s video compared to lest say acme cable is like my football skills to your football skills;)

tbird
11-09-2001, 01:43 PM
Ok caps off.. LOL...

Well I bought the Interact S Video Cables ... I'm sure the picture will look good..

What do you think Blazer. It seems your the expert in this at the moment. I don't have a receiver just playing it though my 35 inch tv...

thx

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 01:55 PM
I am sure it will look good too. I was joking with max cause we got this football thing going.. no s videos regardless or comp are great. So let me just make sure I got every thing.. You have the s cord from them... Since I havnt seen it does it have any audio cords on it? white red) Since you dont have a reciever we will need those cords to go either in your tv or vcr. how old and what model if you know is your sony?

tbird
11-09-2001, 02:13 PM
year 2000 35 inch trinitron tv ... Speakers are on the side instead of on the bottom .. Kind of like the Wega tv's...

Input for AV cables and one for S Video ...

The Interact cables did come with the 2 audio cables and the S video..

thx

BlaZeR2
11-09-2001, 02:13 PM
I am just a Techy Geek, that is all....

Your InterAct s-Video cables will be fine. Like several people have stated earlier, any s-video will be better than the standard RCA connection. I would imagine you will notice a slight increase in clarity and color seperation if you stepped up to the Monster Cables, this increase will be more noticable the longer your cable run is. For example, if you only have 1 meter of cable from your box to the tv, you will only notice a slight quality increase with the monster over the Interact. If you have a 3 meter run from the box to the TV, the signal will degrade more with the interact cables than the monster cables, so you will notice a bigger improvement with the monster cables.

In my opinion, I would stick with the cables you have now. When you get your xbox, play it for some time, and see if you notice any color bleeding or lack of sharpness. If you do, maybe upgrading the cables will help. I doubt you will have any issues with the cables you have now though.

the exception to this advice is if you are running your s-video cable around all sorts of other power and/or signal cables. This will further degrade the signal being carried over the s-video. Monster cables have a very high amount of shielding to 'protect' the signal from outside interference.

If your Interact cables are like microsoft's Advanced AV pack, you have plugs and wires for RCA audio for the left and right channels. these will be fine, since you don't have a receiver to decode the dolby digital signal. The same thing applies here with the monster cables. Although, some people think it is easier to hear the signal degredation compared to seeing the signal degrade. If you notice the audio hissing, or humming, maybe upgrade the cables, or look for a ground loop issue somewhere in your wiring system.

Hope my answers were helpful...If I didn't explain something well enough, let me know. I will be glad to offer better explanations. (If i know how)

:D

BlaZeR2

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 02:22 PM
Thanks folks, for the info so far...

I have a 36" Toshiba...and yes, it has S-Video. I would not have bought it if it didn't have S-Video. Actually, I bought this TV so it would hold me out until the HDTVs came down in price. By the way, my Toshiba isn't quite a year old.

So, with this TV, are you recommending just getting an XBox S-Video cable and wait until the XBox Monster 300 cable comes out?

I look forward to your response (BlazeR or Scarecrow or whoever else that is looking after a fellow XBox-gaming guru)

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by scarecrow kfj
...put it like this there s video compared to lest say acme cable is like my football skills to your football skills;)

D a m n!!!!! Those acme cables must seriously be the *****!!! They must be the most strategic, aerodynamic, skilled, and gorgeous cables compared to those S-Video cables...D a m n!! hehe :D

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 02:30 PM
yeah then you are all set up. now all you need is the xbox to put on the other end of those cords

tbird
11-09-2001, 02:32 PM
Thank you all..

I'm off all next week from work ... Enjoy..

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 02:47 PM
As for the cables I am waiting till I can buy those monster cables... Blaz where did you see those? I havnt had the time to shop to much.

BlaZeR2
11-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Being called : X Link cables

the URL that i saw them on is :

http://gear.ign.com/articles/315938p1.html

they are somewhat pricey, but you all know that quality is expensive.

I don't know who will be selling the, but i would guess everyone

BlaZeR2

scarecrow kfj
11-09-2001, 03:21 PM
tahnks... I am going to have to pick some up thurs or fri if I can find them.

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 04:05 PM
Aren't the Link cables intended for LAN play?

BlaZeR2
11-09-2001, 04:23 PM
yes, MS is calling the cross-over Cat5 cable for the xbox the x link, but it appears that monster is calling their av cables for the xbox x link cables too...
check the link above

BlaZeR2

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 04:45 PM
BlazeR...dude, thanks for reminding me to check out that link...I forgot to do it the first time. That article helps a lot! But, what cables actually come with the XBox? Does it come with an S-Video cable? Or do you have to buy it seperate?

Also, it appears that these Monster cables won't be available until after launch....maybe a week or so...what can hold me over in the meantime? And, finally, when these cables do come out, which one do you recommend for a 36" Toshiba S-Video television? Admittingly, I'm somewhat novice to cabling....your help is deeply appreciated :) Let me know when you can...

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 05:55 PM
Also, I just realized that my wife may kick me off of my nice 36" Toshiba S-Video TV to a different TV that I have which is much much much lower end.

It's a 27" Sharpe...pretty basic..it only has jacks for RCA cables...which I understand is low end. But I guess with that TV, I could get the RFU Adapter to use S-Video:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/logos/171.jpg

So, this might work...As you can see, I'm doing a little research into this..>I want to maximize my performance of my video and audio for the best results. I will simply get a basic S-Video cable until I can get the X Link 300 S-video Cables by Monster:
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/monster_xbox_svideo_small.jpg
This should work with that RFU Adapter for my 27" Sharpe TV, that is, if I have to use that instead of my 36" Toshiba S-Video TV

Does this sound right?

-Max

jeah
11-09-2001, 06:06 PM
I've been checking out the AV packs from microsoft, and I need the regular or HD but i need to clarify one thing:

From all the pics i've seen of the HD AV pack, it doesn't seem to have s-video (just component). I would prefer s-video and component because I have a dvd player and only one set of component inputs on my TV but i would like to see xbox using component cables.

Basically, does the HD AV pack support s-video?

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 06:09 PM
Jeah...this is all I know about the HD AV pack:

http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/logos/214.jpg
Connects the Xbox console to most TVs with interlaced or progressive component video inputs including high definition ready TVs that support 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i component video signals. This pack also supports digital or surround sound audio receivers. Ideal for high entertainment systems, this pack provides the highest quality audio and video experience of any video game system.

jeah
11-09-2001, 06:18 PM
Maximus, yeah, i've seen those descriptions but it seems like since so many people already have the HD AV pack in their hands, it would be easy to get a solid answer.... My guess is it doesn't have both.

l Maximus l
11-09-2001, 06:24 PM
I guess we will have to see...I didn't buy a DVD player because I was planning on buying an XBox which already has the ability to play DVD movies.