PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand the concept of a new system if......

xboxrocks2003
09-09-2002, 09:06 AM
They can't utilize the systems that are out now. I hear things like the developers have only tapped into alittle bit of the Xbox and PS2's power. Then why the hell are talks of a new system coming out. I'm not saying for Xbox, but for PS3. I think engineers are getting way ahead of the game developers. Utilize what's out there first. I also think that alot of game developers are getting very lazy and the economy limited budgets on alot of games (companies had to let go a bunch of people, and that includes game developers and such) and hence forth, a crappy piece of software. I'm sick of all these crappy games coming out. I go into Gamestop, only to find rehashes of games that didn't have alot of development time and low budget games. It's sad really. Take Crazy Taxi for instance. The Dreamcast version looked alot better. There should be no excuse for ANY Xbox game to have frame rate drops, jaggies or pop-up. It's all a money making thing,and the developers aren't getting any more of my money unless they can take the time and come out with a quality product.:(

Nato King
09-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by xboxrocks2003
They can't utilize the systems that are out now. I hear things like the developers have only tapped into alittle bit of the Xbox and PS2's power. Then why the hell are talks of a new system coming out. I'm not saying for Xbox, but for PS3. I think engineers are getting way ahead of the game developers. Utilize what's out there first. I also think that alot of game developers are getting very lazy and the economy limited budgets on alot of games (companies had to let go a bunch of people, and that includes game developers and such) and hence forth, a crappy piece of software. I'm sick of all these crappy games coming out. I go into Gamestop, only to find rehashes of games that didn't have alot of development time and low budget games. It's sad really. Take Crazy Taxi for instance. The Dreamcast version looked alot better. There should be no excuse for ANY Xbox game to have frame rate drops, jaggies or pop-up. It's all a money making thing,and the developers aren't getting any more of my money unless they can take the time and come out with a quality product.:(

You really made a good point there xboxrocks. I feel if I was a game developer I would try and come up with a game that I would enjoy playing on my xbox but like you said Its's just a money making thing.:)

X-Killer
09-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Sony is simply hyping the PS3. They don't have anything better to do, so they'll add hype.

GokuX
09-09-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey xboxrocks I agree with ya here. You've touch on an issue that's probably as old as the Atari. There has to be so many untouched abilities within every system that has come out to this day. When I think back to the Genesis, it had a lack of hardware scaling and rotation that the SNES flaunted quite often in most of its games. However, some Genesis developers did put in some extra effort and achieved both scaling and rotation via software to varying degrees of success. This showed that with the effort even limits could be over-ridden. I really thought the Playstation 1 was capable of a little more than I saw when I owned it, but probably at this point being that it had been out so many years, it probably is finally getting used for all it's worth. The N64 seemed to be pushed close to its limits and Nintendo releasing the ram upgrade pack really helped to smash through its low res limitations in games like Perfect Dark. I really think that the developers today have so much to work with in all 3 of the previous systems and could really do some amazing things. Perhaps Doom 3 will truly push the Xbox, who knows.

LynxFX
09-09-2002, 11:36 AM
I totally agree with you but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it. It is the nature of the beast.

Hardware will always be ahead of where the software is. You gotta have one before you can have the other. In gaming and graphics it has almost always been the hardware that you have to have first since you can't write software for hardware that doesn't exist. Of course this means that there is a learning curve and a pretty big gap between the hardware supporting a feature and the software supporting the feature. Software developers will always be playing catchup and it is only going to get worse.

I do think that current developers, especially for the xbox, are being lazy(& cheap) or really still have no grasp on the technology in the xbox. I think it is the former more than the latter. They probably are cutting corners to maximize profit but in the end they deliver an inferior game that few people will buy, thus minimizing profit. Games are turning more and more into gambling for developers and few are willing to risk it with a huge investment.

As for the PS3 it is all vaporware and transparent whitepaper nonsense. They have nothing yet and have very little left of the PS2 so they have to try and tap into Xboxes thunder somehow.

Nato King
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Software developers will always be playing catchup and it is only going to get worse.

Hey Lynxfx I really agree on what you said but what got my eye was when you said that the Software developers would always be playing catch-up and it is only going to get worse.

So you are trying to tell me when the Xbox2 comes out and I buy it I would really be playing on the Xbox. That is so dumb.:)

LynxFX
09-09-2002, 02:58 PM
No not exactly Serg. It is just that there is a learning curve before they can exploit the power of the hardware that is created. Take Bungie for instance. They have already figured out how to push the Xbox even further than they did at launch with the trailer for Halo2. Basically they had a years worth of time to catch up to the hardware on the Xbox. 2 years when you consider it being released christmas 2003.

It is much easier to see the cycle on the PC than on any given console since the hardware for consoles doesn't gradually change, instead they make bigger leaps in technology.

So for a PC example, DirectX 8 was released last fall and at the same time graphics cards that utilized DX8 were also released. Not a single game was released that year that supported DX8 and the features built into the hardware. Slowly a few showed up but now, a year later, we are starting to see some games take full advantage of the hardware that has been out a year. Now new cards are coming out that have new features supported in DX9. Zero apps support this at this time and won't until at least Q2 of 2003. It will be the next wave of games that come out fall of 2003 that will start to take full advantage of DX9 and the new hardware and some will still be trying to take advantage of DX8. Of course at that time DX10 will be debuting and we start all over again.
It is a vicious cycle. :)

When a new console comes out the developers usually have had plenty of time to develope a game for launch and have played around with the final hardware so they will still be ahead of the previous generation of consoles. They just wouldn't have exploited the full power at launch which is why 2nd and 3rd gen games usually look alot better than the launch titles.

Slacker
09-09-2002, 05:06 PM
The video game industry is like the movie industry its all for money ,most movies today suck, they are all special effects and no story, for example , I watched the New time Machine movie , it was nice and had some great special effects but I like the one made in the 60's better actually I find myslef watching older and older movies , just so I can get a good story, as far as video games, ever once in awhile just like in Movies you get a good one for example Splinter Cell is looking mighty fine and some future xbox games look very promising

Also I have read many interviews where a Devoloper will say that they are excited about Xbox's potential because they can do things they never could on any other system,

xboxrocks2003
09-09-2002, 06:29 PM
I think alot of gamers are getting fed up with having to buy a new system when our current systems power is not fully utilized. I've seen the pattern before. I personally think that the software that's been coming out has been pure crap. I think it's time us gamers took a stand. It seems these days that the PS 2 could come out with all kinds of crap, but because it's PS 2 it's ok. Yes, the Xbox is a powerful machine but remember the Dreamcast? The Dreamcast had a big headstart over the PS2, it revolutionized the gaming industry with the VMU, it had killer apps, online with some of the best sports games ever (still is), a microphone to communicate over the internet ,dreamcall to call other Dreamcast users and so many other great points and it STILL FAILED!!! That's a damn shame. Because the Xbox is more powerful doesn't mean it will succeed. Our society is taught to be followers and not leaders. Majority rules. Well, not for me it don't. If I owned a company, I'd hire someone with a tongue ring or pink hair. But you know what??? that's unacceptable in the corporate world or the vast majority of morons. Yet people walk in to work with their fat asses stuffed in a suit because society says so. Maybe I don't like fat ladies that smell like cheap perfume,or men that have big fat asses working for me. My families motto is you accept everybody and never down someone for who or what they want to do. If people are nice to me, I'm nice to them. I don't give a **** what they look like. My parents aren't the norm. They like hard rock, and I got kicked out of school for having a rock t-shirt on. My mom was called into the office with the social worker and the social said I would get better grades if my hair was shorter and I dressed better (little did she know my grades were down because my sister was dying from cancer). But it was ok for the african americans to walk around with a shower cap on their heads during class( i'm not prejudice). My mom told her to **** herself and I pursued music after that. I got my g.e.d and have an upcoming local tour after many years of music school. I never gave into majority. I think for them,

It's easier to point the finger than it is to look in the mirror!!!

The Hitman
09-09-2002, 10:11 PM
It'll be interesting to see how much of a power jump the Xbox GPU will get when/if Nvidia releases updated drivers.

xboxrocks2003
09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
A headline from IGN. I rest my case!

Namco Lay Offs
The company cuts staff in preparation for fiscal profits.

plpkb
09-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Its all aout the money. New tech drives new game sales. Just like every other thing in life most products are average to poor with a few items standing out as great.

DIGITAL
09-11-2002, 03:41 PM
very good thread,i allso agree that only a few devolpers know how to tap into the full power of the xbox,i think buffy used the power of the xbox,with the amazing lighting effects,i wish every game that came out looked that good,im sick of all these ports with no big diffrence between the xbox version an the ps2 version