PDA

View Full Version : Hands on NHL2k3

DZNUTZ
09-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Hands-on: NHL 2K3

We check out a 70-percent-complete build of Sega's upcoming hockey game.

We had a chance to check out a roughly 70-percent-complete version of NHL 2K3 at today's Sega Sports Summit in New York. The game is being developed by Treyarch and produced by Visual Concepts for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox, and it's aiming to make significant improvements on the last entry in the series, which appeared on the Dreamcast. The game is set to offer enhanced visuals and tweaked gameplay, and the Xbox version of the game will feature online play.
NHL 2K3 will feature quite a bit of new content and a number of gameplay enhancements. The ESPN license will be used in the player introductions, game highlights, replays, score windows, and other aspects of the game's presentation. A new franchise mode will let you create your own team and develop it into a successful organization by taking on a variety of team roles such as general manager, coach, scout, and player. Die-hard fans will be pleased to find that each player will now be rated in 50 different categories in order to better mimic their real-life counterparts. The game's control is also being refined to let players set and customize their team's lines on the fly. Additionally, goalies will be able to switch to any stance while defending without having to go to a transitional stance before changing. The AI is being tweaked to ensure that teammates feature better play execution during a game. For example, defensive teams may employ traps and zones, while faster teams will use a more wide-open style. During a game, it will also be possible to pin an opponent against the wall and steal the puck, and you'll now be able to shoot a loose puck, both of which should add a bit more realism to the game. Furthermore, the series' physics engine is being tweaked to make puck movement more realistic, and a number of improved international teams are being included in the game in the game to offer an additional challenge for players who have conquered the NHL.

Graphically, NHL 2K3 is being groomed to offer an improved visual experience with a host of new details. You'll find more than 30 arenas in the game, including a legends arena and an international ice rink. You'll also see dynamic lighting and reflections on the ice, different uniform fabrics (you'll have a choice of three jerseys for each team), decals, and even different ice textures. As far as the different versions are concerned, they all looked comparable despite their unfinished state. The only differences that stood out were slight variances in the quality of the reflections and lighting in each version. Beyond that, the game ran smoothly on all three consoles at 60 frames per second. In terms of the game's audio presentation, the commentary in the game is being worked on to offer better situational analysis and awareness.

We also had the chance to try the online component of Xbox version, which, while rough in places, worked well. As with NFL 2K3, the game will support the various Xbox Live features, such as quickplay, voice chat, and voice masking. At the moment, the robot voice is the only voice mask available.

NHL 2K3 is set to ship for all three consoles this November. Look for more on the game in the coming months.

taken from gamespot.
btw...i CAN NOT wait till this game comes out
SAN JOSE SHARKS BAAAAAYBY!

Ronald_mcd
09-10-2002, 06:43 PM
can't wait for this game. Online hockey. My dream

nemesYs
09-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Worst thing is I have no money and there are so many games I want to get along with XBL!!! Damn Xbox for being so damn good!!

KviK
09-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Pretty sure nhl 2003 will own sega's version, online or not.

To me, there's nothing better then 3 other friends at home drinking beer and playing a hockey game. HELLLL YA

Woocifer
09-10-2002, 10:39 PM
I tried the demo for EA's NHL 2003 on my pc...it doesnt seem that much was improved over last year and what's worse is they left the same crap they added last year that destroyed what a hockey sim should be...and then added some more crap.

You build up your breakaway metre so you can hit a button and everything slows down and blah blah blah....

That isn't hockey...that's more like a Rocky movie.

And EA is really pushing their luck by favouring one console yet developing for everyone...makes no sense to me as realtionship marketing...they just seem to want the cash.

Along with that I find that either the 2k series or the EA series really simulate hockey to what it is. There is basically no fighting in the corners, the tip in system is way too sketchy to apply to the games, there are no scrums after the whistle, you can't go after the goalie at ALL and cause major distaste between two teams, the trading systems are way too open...

I just wish they would add more realistic things to happen rather than these unrealistic NHL 2003 Cards that give guys power ups and all these bells and whistles and crap like that...why not add the skills competition to the game during the all star break, that would add a nice touch even...

I dunno I just find that EA is being really cheesey and NHL 2k3 using the ESPN license is all right...but I really would rather the CBC Hockey Night In Canada Franchise do it because of Joe Bowen. The man makes every hockey game rediculously exciting due to his enthusiasm of announcing.

Holy Macanaw!!!!! :)

Anyway... I wasn't too impressed with what EA thinks hockey is. And the franchise mode in NFL2K3 makes me wonder how in depth the NHL one will be...that will be cool :)

meda1ni
09-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by nemesYs
Worst thing is I have no money and there are so many games I want to get along with XBL!!! Damn Xbox for being so damn good!!

I feel your pain.....too many games wanted not enough resources:( I love to play Hockey ...online....:eek:

xboxtito
09-10-2002, 10:55 PM
This game is going to rock can't wait to get it and kick some a$$