PDA

View Full Version : once again MS restricts what i can do with my property

nutsnyomowf
09-10-2002, 08:51 PM
whats this i hear that MS will be able to detect mod chips in your Xbox system thew Xbox Live!!! i dont own a mod chip but i do think that once a person takes his hard earned money and goes out to buy, give MS those funds from that persons hard day of work they should be able to do what the hell they want to do to there Xbox.Even if its to throw it off a cliff(who would do that not me)i know some of u are like aint pirating wrong well its.and i dont belive in it,but i do believe in a free country where once u own something u can do what in the hell u want to it!!!lets say i want to be able to play my back up cdr's of music i downloaded cant do that on my Xbox.lets say i dont have to money for a HDtv and the only way i can watch my dvds is by connecting my xbox to my vcr BAAM!!! there goes my great experiences of dvd!!! I dont want to mod chip for copied games cause that hurts the system hmmmmmm should i say Dreamcast i think they lost alot of money that way.i would like a MOd chip for the other benefits

DeathKnightMaF
09-10-2002, 09:09 PM
It's called protecting their intellectual property.

Can you still mod your Xbox? Sure, why not. Can they stop you from using Xbox Live? Sure can. Modded Xbox's used over the Xbox Live service open up a large window for trouble.. trouble that will harm the service and harm other users.

Mod-chips are the biggest instigators for piracy and copyright infringement in the console world. Using them to play all-region games or for related purposes is one thing. Using them to bypass security in the console, allow pirated games to be played on it, or to run other programs that it wasn't intended to run is another.

sleepyfloyd64
09-10-2002, 09:15 PM
Lets say MS owns their servers and doesnt want to sell you access... BAM!!

Lets say MS owns their servers and wants to check to make sure you Hardware won't cause damage to their system.. BAM!!! YOU CAN"T PLAY!!!

How can modified Xbox's cause damage.. Its not just virus and hacking and pirating software that cause problems.. Mod chips allow cheat codes which give unfair advantages to the players that use them.. this changes the level playing field for which so many subscribers are paying for.. that turns away customers.. thats accouts for loss of subscribers.. which accounts to loss of income to MS..

Dude.. you are free to go ahead and mod your Xbox anyway you want.. and nobody will do a thing to stop you.. but remember, MS has just as much right not to sell you access to their servers..

Slacker
09-10-2002, 09:36 PM
OMG!!! Microsoft doesn't want you to Mod the Xbox!!!! Holy **** those ****suckers!!!! ...........seriously though it's why MS wanted to control XBL, so it will last and won't be like the Sega Fiasco of Cheaters,

viperII
09-10-2002, 09:40 PM
I would rather have MS put time and effert into stopping and preventing cheaters from accessing XBOX LIVE. I was turned off from alot of the computer online games out there because you walk in a room and BAAM you die instantly from a cheater. Things like modifed Charactors and GOD mode turned me off, because it wasn't fun for me. The best thing about online console gaming is that everyone is on a level playing field. Same hardware, same input devices, same unmodified software. That is one of the things that turns me on to online console gaming.

Go ahead modify your xbox. No one will come to your house and stop you. You can put a mod chip in your xbox to backup your games, no one will come to your house and stop you. As long as I don't have to play a modified XBOX on LIVE and know there is a chance someone has an edge because they somehow modifed thier stats or charactor. If you modify your XBOX and you want to play on LIVE, then you will have to get another XBOX that is not modified to play everyone else with a unmodified XBOX on LIVE.

nutsnyomowf, I see your point. But it has to be black and white. If MS chooses to not allow modified XBOX's on LIVE for one reason like protecting their intellectual property, then it can't allow a modified XBOX at all.

just my .02

Mercury
09-10-2002, 10:13 PM
So sad.
Too bad.

KviK
09-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Well if no one saw this coming, your on my idiot list.

Sakic19
09-10-2002, 10:30 PM
A couple of you guys hit the nail on the proverbial head!

Bottom line is, these measures will allow CHEAT free gaming, unlike the world of PC-on-line gaming.

YAHOOOO for cheat free deathmatches, and hardly any lag, due to dial-up users. ;)

netranger6
09-10-2002, 10:49 PM
I must agree. Keep the mods off XBL, and let the skill shine through. Not too mention, all the idiotic CLANS that will pop up, like some renegade biker dudes with modified Harleys, etc... I hate that clan crap, especially when all the little whiners use GOD modes and cheats.

xboxtito
09-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by viperII
I would rather have MS put time and effert into stopping and preventing cheaters from accessing XBOX LIVE. I was turned off from alot of the computer online games out there because you walk in a room and BAAM you die instantly from a cheater. Things like modifed Charactors and GOD mode turned me off, because it wasn't fun for me. The best thing about online console gaming is that everyone is on a level playing field. Same hardware, same input devices, same unmodified software. That is one of the things that turns me on to online console gaming.

Go ahead modify your xbox. No one will come to your house and stop you. You can put a mod chip in your xbox to backup your games, no one will come to your house and stop you. As long as I don't have to play a modified XBOX on LIVE and know there is a chance someone has an edge because they somehow modifed thier stats or charactor. If you modify your XBOX and you want to play on LIVE, then you will have to get another XBOX that is not modified to play everyone else with a unmodified XBOX on LIVE.

nutsnyomowf, I see your point. But it has to be black and white. If MS chooses to not allow modified XBOX's on LIVE for one reason like protecting their intellectual property, then it can't allow a modified XBOX at all.

just my .02

I couldn't have said it better myself.

nutsnyomowf
09-11-2002, 08:21 PM
ok so im the only rebel on this site.lol thats ok.i see all u guys points i was once apart of a clan on UNREAL where all we did was go around hacking servers,key binding changing maps trigger deaths and much more horrible things. I have seen the error in my ways and have changed,Now i use what u know to keep people like this out of server hmmmmm ping them to death.but anyways i never said a thing about cheating how did this go from moding to enjoy the benefits of DVD with out macrovision,listen to to the music u download to a cdr to cheating that one came way from left field on me!!! i agree with u all point blank i would like to play the games with no flaws!!! so why dont MS benefit from the mod cheaps with there own that allows u to get rid of the evil macrovision and allows u to play cdr music and block the copying of games.that way they win on something to.cause no matter what others will try to beat the system ha ha rebels rock on.seriously i still want a mod chip and i still want to be online with out having to buy another X but oh well guess i cant have my cake and eat it too man i didnt know so many people were sheep on this site. funny coming from a jackass huh?

viperII
09-11-2002, 10:45 PM
Everyone's point is valid. Thats why this is a Forum.

Everyone has fun playing God once and a while. The point is it can go "from moding to enjoy the benefits of DVD with out macrovision,listen to to the music u download to a cdr to cheating" very quickly if all mods aren't handled correctly on a online gaming system.

Everyone, on XBA, wants Live to be a success. But it will stop being a success once little Mike logs onto a game of UNREAL and gets hit with the bullet of death. His character regens and then BAAM another death kill. Suddenly little Mike is having no fun on LIVE. Mike logs on again, same thing happens. Mike will then tell his friends LIVE sucks and its a bunch of cheaters. They turn around and tell 5 more friends, they all tell 5 more friends LIVE sucks. Can you see the pattern of why moded XBOX's can cause bad publicity for LIVE...

I think you can see where we are going with this.

I guess thats .04 now

GokuX
09-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by nutsnyomowf
I dont want to mod chip for copied games cause that hurts the system hmmmmmm should i say Dreamcast i think they lost alot of money that way.i would like a MOd chip for the other benefits

That's what everyone says, and almost nobody actually does in real life. Once they get the chip in it's illegal gaming all the way baby. Why buy games when the chip lets you play for free?

LynxFX
09-12-2002, 01:19 PM
If you are really worried then just buy another Xbox and use it for modded purposes and your main one for XBL. If the price drops to $150 then I think that is a pretty cheap alternative. Of course this kinda hurts and helps microsoft at the same time.

Helps them by showing a larger user base which gets developers in.

Hurts by selling a product at a loss which you will have no intention of buying software for. (you will do that for your first xbox)

There are also the talk of mod chips that you can turn on and off so they wouldn't be detected on XBL. Guess this will turn into a waiting game and a few guinnea pigs.

XBOX Dude
09-12-2002, 03:07 PM
it's more like their restricting what you can do with their property cause what are ya gonna use a mod chip for pirating their software which is protected, it's danger to their compnay and personally i don't mind what their doing. you mod your xbox, no xbox online i think it's fair and anybody who complains should pull their head out of their ass because they know what their doing is wrong

PROUDXBOXOWNER
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
mod chips are the reason behind a lot of unsuccessful consoles hence ms did the right thing by protecting themselves from those stupid modchips.

Sangha
09-12-2002, 05:37 PM
It probably wont even matter since lots of the new chips can be switched on and off, thats how mine is.

BTW, I only use my chip to play imports and use emulators.

nutsnyomowf
09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
yeah Sangha i'll try to find one like that