PDA

View Full Version : Advanced AV Pack & Surround Sound?!?!?!

Pimpn419
11-10-2001, 12:33 AM
Hey guys!!! I just bought a home theatre system for my TV that I'll be using for my xbox. The TV Isn't all that great.. but It'll have to do until I can afford a better one.

My problem Is I don't know what adapter I'd have to buy to hook my xbox up to my surround sound. Would that be the Advanced AV pack? If so, are they even out to buy or reserve, and where would I find one from? If not, what addapter would I use?

The Theatre System I got Is a 600 watt JVC system.. DS-TP350 with Dolby Digital 5.1. It comes with an amp., 5 speakers, and a subwoofer. I'll be hooking It up to my 29" ORION TV with MTS Stereo.. only If I can figure out how to hook up my xbox to my surround sound I'll use that.

My other problem Is I have no Idea how'd I'd hook the Advanced AV Pack up to my surround sound (assuming that's the adapter I'd need). Do you have to buy any extra cables.. I don't know.. I'm lost here guys... can someone please explain how I would go about doing this? Oh yeah, (If this helps any) my TV has those 3 input slots on the fron of the TV for video In, and audio In.. left and right? Would I hook anything up to those to get the surround or the xbox to run properly?

Thanks guys,

-Matt

XERO
11-10-2001, 06:25 AM
here is a simple solution:......
see that cable that is attaches to the back of the Xbos....the one with a white/yellow/red RCA male jack?....okay?...get some extension cables at Radio Shack and connec the yellow to the video input in the back of your tv...the red/white will go to an input on the BACK of the power amp....should be noread as: cd/dat/video1/video/2 etc.
there are other ways to do this but this is a start...enjoy....
hope this helps.

Hugh_Jass
11-10-2001, 09:19 AM
No. He wants to use Dolby Digital 5.1, not stereo.

I think you will need the advanced AV pack. You want to use the optical connection between that and your receiver. That's the only way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.

Pimpn419
11-10-2001, 11:28 AM
Yes, I would really like to hook my xbox up to Dolby Digital 5.1 (the surround sound, amp. subwoofer also). I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy the advanced AV pack, but I have no idea how I'd hook It up from there or even where I can get one for that matter.

Would I have to buy cables seperately to with the AV pack? Or would the AV pack come with everything I need to hook the two up?

Thanks a lot guys,

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-10-2001, 11:49 AM
The Advanced AV pack will come with all the wires you need to connect the s-video to your tv or receiver,and to connect standard RCA audio to receiver. If you want Dolby Digital 5.1, you will need to buy a Digital Optical Cable.
that is all you will need

They can range is price from about $30 to $100 depending on length and quality. but you will definately notice the step up when hearing the 5.1 over normal stereo or prologic.

So, inconclusion, you need to buy the Advanced AV Pack, and a Digital Optical Cable (Sometimes go by the TOSlink name)

and you will be good to go

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-10-2001, 02:27 PM
Thanks a lot man... that helped a lot. Now I just need to go try and find one of those Digital Optical Cables. Would you recamend any place that would have good prices on the Digital Optical Cable? Where would the DOC even hook up at? Would the AV go from the xbox to the DOC and the DOC would hook up to the reciever? Or am I way off?

Is the Advanced AV cable already In stores to buy? Would you happen to know how much one of those are?

Thanks again,

-Matt

Pimpn419
11-11-2001, 12:19 AM
Hey guys.. I went out looking for a Digital Optical Cable tonight and I found a couple at Radio Shack (Although they weren't calle Digital Optical Cables.. they were something that started with an "F" but the guy who worked there said It was the same thing). They were different prices based on the lenght.. like, the 12ft. cable was $44. Not too bad I guess... The manual that comes with the xbox will probably tell me more about how to hook up the Dolby Digital 5.1 and the surround sound and all.

Can't I hook my xbox up to my TV, have my TV hooked up to the theatre system (surround sound), and play my xbox with the theatre system w/o having to buy the Advanced AV Adapter? What Is the Advanced AV Adapter actually for? Also, what's the Digital Optical Cable for?

Thanks again,

-Matt

mwc115
11-11-2001, 09:45 AM
First off... I think if you all have home theater systems your probably going to want the advanced adapter anyway. I think the standard adapter has two audio outputs and a video out. The advanced has that, plus an S-video, which is why I will be buying one. Now, I too have a 5.1 Dolby Digital System. Yes, by the way, I'm totally syked because I just spend about about $2500 on it and can't wait to see what the games will be like in 5.1. I'm going to light my place up! Poor neighbors. Anyway! Since the Xbox is also a DVD player, and all you need for DVD is the remote, I'm guessing that the Xbox comes standard with an optical output. You probably need the Advance AV if you want to have the Coax digital output. That is my thoughts, because I haven't seen much about optical outputs on the additional AV options. And about an optical cable... I got a monster cable for $40. That isn't a good deal, it is a piece of fiber optic cable, and it runs a digital signal. Your getting screwed but have no choice because every company that makes the cables screws you.

BlaZeR2
11-11-2001, 10:38 AM
The xbox does not have a standard optical connection, for 5.1 sound, you need either the Advanced AV pack, or the HD AV pack. The xbox also does not have digital coaxial connections. It only has optical (through the above mentioned av packs). You can use it as a dvd player with just the remote, but you won't have 5.1 sound, only prologic through the standard AV RCA connections

just FYI

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-11-2001, 12:27 PM
Thanks a lot guys... that was a little more helpful...

-Matt

Pimpn419
11-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Ok.. now I've got another problem with the Advanced AV Pack! The Advanced AV Pack has the S-Video hook up.. right? Well, I can't find the S-Video input on the back of my reciever..!!! Should the S-Video Input be on the back of my TV.. or In the back of my VCR? I really hope I didn't buy a lame @$$ Theatre System with no S-Video Input...

-Matt

mwc115
11-11-2001, 07:23 PM
Your VCR and Receiver do not matter. If you hook S-video up to either of those, you will eventually need to hook an S-video cable from one of those devices into your TV. If you have auxillary inputs for your television, look in that area for the connector. Although, I got my Toshiba a year ago, and the standard model didn't come with an s-video connection. If your TV is more than a couple years old there is a good chance you don't have one.

darianX
11-11-2001, 08:19 PM
The s-video goes into the TV...my setup will be simple as **** due to the fact that I have a switchbox with 4 s-video/RCA connectors on it for video and sound, and I just happen to have one free...not after Thursday though :D

Frostberg
11-12-2001, 12:05 AM
Hi, I have a few questions to ask people that have xboxes or know how they will work. I havent been able to find much info about the advanced av adapter so I hope someone can help. I dont have a HDTV, but I do have dolby digital 4.1 speakers. My speakers use digital by using an RCA plug, not optical. Does the advanced av adapter have an RCA plug for sound and a composite plug for video? I read about S-Video and such, but my TV doesnt have an S-Video plug. I'm kind of mad because I only bought it in 1996 and it was like the best TV back then with a builtin VCR anyway. I just saw the pics of the advanced av adapter and I see 3 plugs, and I have composite and sound RCA male-to-male cords. I am assuming that the 3 plugs I see are the standard video and right and left sound, but then I hear everyone saying there is some kind of S-Video adapter that it plugs into or something, eep I'm so confused!

Pimpn419
11-12-2001, 12:28 AM
Ok... I found the S-Video input In the back of my TV. Will I still need to buy a Digital Optical Cable for the surround sound.. or will the S-Video take care of that? Or am I way off? Could I hook my surround sound up to my tv and the advanced av pack with the s-video up to my tv making the s-video and surround sound work?

From the pictures I've seen of the Advanced AV Pack there are only three slots and the slots look like you place the Standard AV pack into the 3 slots of the Advanced AV Pack. I didn't see any s-video on the Advanced AV Pack... will I need to use the Standard AV Pack with the Advanced AV Pack? Where Is the S-Video located on the Advanced AV Pack? I know these are dumb questions.. but I really am clueless...

Thanks,

-Matt

Frostberg
11-12-2001, 12:36 AM
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, where is this S-Video plug everyone talks about? But I dont have an S-Video tv anyway, I just want to use a reg TV with RCA plugs and dolby digital speakers, which dont have any digital outputs either.

Pimpn419
11-12-2001, 12:43 AM
I've actually seen one Adapter with the 3 plug In's and the S-Video cable.. but It was an off brand piece of s***!

-Matt

mwc115
11-12-2001, 10:07 AM
Frost/Pimpn,

First, you will need to have separate hook-ups for you audio and video. S-VIDEO is only for the video signal. So you will need to put the s-video cable from the xbox to the TV, and the optical cable to your receiver. Chances are, if you have a 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver, you have an optical input on it. Also, s-video and optical connectors are sockets. So on the pictures of the AV pak, you are only seeing RCA connectors for left, right, and video. The s-video connection is a bit like your mouse or keyboard connectors. They wouldn't stick out where you could see them in that picture. You wouldn't be able to see a optical connection either, but I'm still not sure where optical connects to the Xbox.

BlaZeR2
11-12-2001, 10:34 AM
Okay
I am going to try to clear up some confusion...

for the record, I have a dolby digital setup now with a 32" wega tv. And I already have the Advanced AV pack from MS (it was shipped from EBgames last week).

The advanced av pack has :
1 yellow rca plug (composite video)
1 each, red and white rca (composite audio - only stereo or dolby prologic - NOT DOLBY DIGITAL)
1 s-video socket, (flush with the adapter, not visible from photos - high quality video)
1 Digital Optical socket (dolby digital audio stream)

The only way to get dolby digital 5.1 sound from the xbox (at this time) is through the digital optical connection.

You can use either of the video connections ( composite or s-video) with either of the audio connections (composite or optical) - but you have to power on the xbox with no disk in it, and use the system menu to tell it you want to use the optical connection for dolby digital - at least that is what the instructions for the advanced av pack say.

Frostberg,
the RCA connection you are talking about is digital coax cable. It looks just like RCA, except it carries a digital signal. Unfortunately, there are no AV packs that support this connection yet. Some third party company might make something like this in the future, but as of now, if you want Dolby Digital, you must use the optical connection. Sorry

Pimpn419,
You do not need to use the standard AV pack with the Advanced AV pack. As for the connection to your tv and audio system, i would do this:

Check the back of your TV, If it is fairly modern, it should have composite audio OUT jacks (RCA). Use regular RCA cables and run that signal to a composite Audio IN jack (RCA) on your receiver. That way, you can watch normal tv with prologic sound (NOT DOLBY DIGITAL). Then you have two choices about how to get your XBOX video signal to your TV... If you are planning on using s-video (I highly recommend), then you can run the xbox svideo to your receicer if it has s-video switching (meaning : if it has S-video in on the back) then run another svideo from your S-video OUT plug on the receiver to the S-Video IN plug on your TV. Or you can run the s-video from the XBOX straight to your Tv.

Now for the audio from the xbox,
TVs do not have digital optical INPUTS, because most tvs can't decode Dolby Digital signals, that is saved for the receiver. Just run the optical connection from the xbox to one of your optical IN connections on the back of your receiver. However, if you ran the xbox svideo to your receiver too, then make sure that you plugged them both into the same input SOURCE on the receiver, (meaning, you should have different sources on your receiver, like CD, DVD, TV, TUNER, etc..) Make sure you plug both your xbox optical and s-video cable to inputs that are tied to a source like DVD, or TV or something....Just so when you want to play the xbox, you just select the source from the tuner, and you are good to go.

I am sorry if this is coming across confusing. It is difficult to explain without knowing someones level of experience or knowledge in this area. plus it is much easier to walk someone through as they are doing it, instead of in advance.

If any one has any other questions, feel free to ask. I will try to help and explain things the best way I know how.

Good Luck

BlaZeR2
:D

Pimpn419
11-12-2001, 01:37 PM
Thank you for your help!! All that made perfect since. The only problem I'm having now Is my reciever doesn't have an S-Video input, but the TV I'll be using does have one. Also.. I think I have the Digital Optical Cable input you were talking about, but on the back of my reciever It says "Digital 2 (CD)" and there's a black plug stuck inside the slot. Would that be the Digital Optical Cable input? Right above the "Digital 2 (CD)" input there's another Digital input but It says (DVD) and It has one of those inputs like the (RCA) hook-ups plug into.

Is Electronics Botique carrying the Advanced AV Packs now?

Thanks for your help,

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-12-2001, 02:32 PM
Glad that helped

the plug that is marked "Digital 2 (CD)" with the black plus is digital opical connection. You take that plug out, and plug the optical cable in there. The other plug you mention (marked DVD) is Digital Coax connection.

So you can connect your s-video straight to you tv, and your optical cable to your receiver. Then when you want to play the xbox, you select that input on your tv (video 1 or video 2 or something) and select CD or whatever on your receiver and you will be good to go.

I don't know if you can walk into Electronic Boutique and get the Advanced AV pack or not. I pre-ordered that, the xbox bundle, and a memory card awhile ago. Last week I got the Advanced AV pack, and the week before I got the memory unit. They were delivered to my door.

I would imagine you can go pick up the cables now though....worth a shot.

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-13-2001, 08:17 PM
Hey guys... I just picked up my Advanced AV Pack yesterday and since then I've been setting up my xbox room. I walked right into EB w/o reserving my Advanced AV Pack before hand, and picked one up!

Ok.. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me.

Now I'm just a little confused with the s-video and the Digital Optical Cable. I've already got my Advanced AV Pack (so I've got the s-video cable thing covered).. and tomorrow I'm going out to buy my Digital Optical Cable. I now I told you guys how my reciever has the DOC input located under the "Digital 2 (CD)".. well, my question Is will I have to set my reciever to the CD setting to get the Digital Optical Cable to work? My reciever has a TV setting as well.. If I have the reciever set on CD for the DOC.. then will the sound still work w/o having to be on the "TV" setting? I hope you understand what I'm asking. Also, how will I know If the DOC Is working properly and Don't you have to set the xbox to the Dolby Digital 5.1 setting? Now the S-Video Input... since the video input Is the S-Video.. the picture wouldn't show up If I didn't have It set up properly right? I don't see any setting to set my TV to to turn the S-Video on so I'm assuming all I have to do Is plug the S-Video In and It should work w/o me having to set my TV to any specific setting. Am I pretty close now?

I'm finally getting this stuff.. I just had a few small questions.. Thanks alot for all the help!

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-13-2001, 08:47 PM
If you put your receiver on the cd input (or whatever your DOC is plugged into) it will work. You do have to set the xbox up for dolby digital in the dashboard. there is no way that DOC cable won't work right, if you have your receiver set to right input, and you have the xbox set up for dolby digital (also, there should be some sort of notification on your receiver when it is in Dobly DIgital mode)

Once you plug your s-video cable into your tv, you will have to change the input mode everytime you want to play. On your remote, you should have an AV Input button. You will hit that, and the tv will say "Video 1" hit it again, and it will say "Video 2" and so on....

Depending how many inputs you have, One of those will "turn on" or display the signal from the S-Video cable.

And that is all you need to do for that...

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-13-2001, 11:06 PM
Ok.. now I've got everything except for the S-Video thing. Sorry If I keep asking dumb questions but I really would like to get everything straight before I get my xbox.

You were saying I'd have to change the input mode everytime I'd want to play once I hook up the S-Video.. well I know how to do that on my old TV, but I had to change TV's because my old one didn't have an S-Video input. This TV I'll be using now doesn't have any button that says anything about any AV, Input Select,AUX, Line In, Line, In, Input, Source, Video 1, or EXT on the remote. Nothing even close to any of those. The other TV I was using had the button "TV/AV".. so that was easy. The old TV I was using you had to be on video 2 to play any games.. well I couldn't get my Dreamcast working on this new TV for awhile.. It took me about an hour and a half to figure out how to get the thing on the right input/setting/channel (whatever you want to call It). The way It did that was.. I pressed this button on the TV labeled "Function" this menu came up with "Channel Select, Antenna/Cable Select, TV/Video Select, and MTS Select" I then pressed the "function" button 3 times to get It to highlight "TV/Video Select" and bam! The game screen popped up!!! That function (TV/Video Select) only has two settings.. TV and one Video.. not 2 or 3 Video's. Would this be the same way I'd change the input everytime I'd want to play my xbox?

One more thing that I need to know and then I'm sure I'll be set to go.. Thank you so much.. you've been a great help! I could have never figured any of this stuff out on my own.

In the Instruction manual for the Advanced AV Pack Under "Connecting to a Digital AV System" It says, "If your system (typically, a reciever or amplifier) has digital audio input, you can connect to digital audio rather than to the standard left and right audio input.". Does this mean I will only have to have the S-Video cable and the Digital Optical Cable plugged in to run my xbox and not the other two "right and left audio" cables that come with the Advanced AV Pack that are also connected to the S-Video cable? Or will I still have to have all 3 cables that came with the A. AV Pack (S-Video, right and left auido(which all will plug into the back of my TV)) and the Digital Optical cable plugged In together to play my xbox?

I hope my questions weren't too confusing..

Thanks again,

-Matt

broly
11-13-2001, 11:12 PM
Pimp, to help you out, yeah your still gonna need it cuz its needed for the optical sound, the svideos for the tv, not all that hard

Pimpn419
11-13-2001, 11:24 PM
need It?!?! what are you reffering to?

mwc115
11-14-2001, 09:58 AM
Ok... I don't know what to tell you about your TV. I had a TV that you had to change the TV/AV in the menu. I know it sucks, that is why they started putting buttons for that one the TV.

About your other cables... The S-video cable is for video only, so hook that directly to your TV.

For audio you have two options. You have a left and right analog output (crappy stereo) and you have a digital output (Dolby 5.1).

If you want digital sound you need to hook the digital optical output into your receiver.

Don't worry about the left and right audio outputs.

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 10:18 AM
BlaZeR2 -- I think you are just a tad wrong.

On the advanced AV pack the Yellow, Red, and White RCA jacks are all used for component video, not composite video and stereo audio.

BlaZeR2
11-14-2001, 10:56 AM
You are a tad wrong (no offense)

The advanced AV pack does not support Component video. ONLY the HD AV pack supports Component Video.

Check the specs on any page (not to mention that I already have the Advanced AV pack)

The Advanced AV pack has composite video / audio, svideo, and digital Optical connection.

Sorry.

BlaZeR2

l Maximus l
11-14-2001, 01:40 PM
I already purchased my Advanced AV Pack and it is connected to my S-Video 36" Toshiba as I type this :D All I have to do is plug in the juice to my XBox, connect the plugs from my Advanced AV Pack, grab a beer (or two) and start playing PGR then Halo :D

(PGR first since this game is the very first game I saw in regards to an example of the games coming to the XBox...I must show my respect :D Besides, I will want to play Halo for a long time afterwards :D)

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 04:46 PM
My bad, Blazer. Sorry! :)

Pimpn419
11-15-2001, 12:31 PM
Hey guys...,

I got my xbox today!!! The only bad thing Is I can't get the Dolby Digital 5.1 to work!!! I got the Digital Optical Cable, I've got It hooked into the right spot, not to mention I've got the Advanced AV Pack (which Is hooked into the right spot). My reciever Is all hooked up right and I just can't figure out why the **** thing Isn't recognizing the Dolby Digital 5.1!!!!

I set the reciever to the Digital 2 (CD) where I have my Digital Optical Input pluged into and then I set the xbox up for Dolby Digital 5.1 and then I press the "INPUT DIGITAL" button which puts the thing on "Auto" which displays what signals the thing Is recieving. On the reciever Dolby Digital Is supposed to be highlighted.. but "LINEAR PCM" Is highlighted instead!!! What does this mean and what am I doing wrong? What will I need to do to fix this problem and get the Dolby Digital 5.1 to start working and recognize the thing?

I've got the left and right sound hooked up to the Advanced AV Pack which Is what should be hooked up too.

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-15-2001, 01:34 PM
you have to go into the dashboard and set the xbox up to play dolby digital 5.1

and i don't think you need to have the rca left and right plugged in. All the audio data is carried over the digital optical cable.

BlaZeR2

Cannibal Corpse
11-15-2001, 02:04 PM
Here is the solution to your needs:

http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/default.html

VIDEO:
Gamelink 400 X - Component Video)

AUDIO:
Gamelink 400 X - Component Video

Cheers!

Pimpn419
11-15-2001, 03:43 PM
So are you saying to unplug the left and right audio's from the Advanced AV Pack and leave them plugged into the TV? Or are you saying I'll have to unplug them from the TV and the Advanced AV Pack?

Thanks,

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-15-2001, 04:02 PM
I am saying you don't need them plugged into anything if you are using the DOC.

Did you setup the xbox to send dolby digital signal in the dashboard?

Let me know the results

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-15-2001, 04:06 PM
All right.. I've tried almost everything I can think of! I unhooked the left and right audio cables from the TV and from the Advanced AV Pack and tried seeing If that would kick the Dolby Digital into action. Nothing happend.. same s*** as before!

Then I tried using the "Digital Input" button to switch the Digital 1 and 2 around so that the CD was now Digital one and the DVD was then Digital 2.. then I set the reciever to DVD mode and still.. Nothing! I tried messing with the "Digital Input" button awhile seeing If It might work set as TV, Cd, or DVD.. but nothing worked... I'm running out of options.. What am I doing wrong and what can I do?

Could the Digital Optical Cable be busted???

Thanks again,

-Matt

Pimpn419
11-15-2001, 04:09 PM
Yes, I set the xbox up to send Dolby Digital signals to the reciever.. on the xbox screen Is says Audio: Dolby Digital and the Dolby Digital under that says: Enabled.. so It's set up right.. I don't know why It's not working.

Maybe a busted cable?!?!

Thanks again,

-Matt

BlaZeR2
11-15-2001, 04:15 PM
make sure your doc cable connected right. you have to push it in, then slide the casing closer to the plug. this will lock the cable in place. also - please tell me you took the little plastic end cap off each end of the plug

everything sounds good though...i am at a loss. you might want to check the manual for your receiver.

BlaZeR2

scarecrow kfj
11-15-2001, 04:22 PM
lmao blaz.. That would be fuuny about the casing on the plug. My friend did that and I laughed my butt off.

Cannibal Corpse
11-15-2001, 05:39 PM
Since I already had a 'Standard' COMPONENT and Fiber Optic cables.

All I had to do, was to plug them into the 'High Definition AV Pack' and all set. The color and sound difference is AMAZING.

Now if the High Definition AV Pack cable was a bit longer, I had to almost bring the XBox very close to my 36" WEGA TV.

http://www.xbox.com/system/High+Definition+AV+Pack.htm

The Monster Cable is VERY pricy though :(

BlaZeR2
11-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Is your Wega an XBR? (HD compatible?)

Just curious, i though the HD av pack could only be used for HD tvs...

BlaZeR2

Cannibal Corpse
11-15-2001, 05:50 PM
Although it the 1999 Model. (the newer models have TWO Components connectors).

Mine is a 36XBR250.

BlaZeR2
11-15-2001, 05:56 PM
Very nice!!!!

BlaZeR2

Pimpn419
11-15-2001, 11:44 PM
What do you mean, "slide It In... then push the casing closer to the plug"? All I did Is take the caps off the ends and slide them into the slots that they went In... I don't know what you're talking about by sliding the casing closer to the plug?!?! What exactly do yo mean?

-Matt