PDA

View Full Version : D2R too hard?

ZooLaBuS
09-15-2002, 01:17 PM
I don't know but it is too hard for me. I can do it but I have to repeat levels over and over to beat them. I am just not that type of person. I think they should of had a EASIER game. And a HARD one.

odpr
09-15-2002, 01:23 PM
I don't know ur age, and I am not saying that to patronize u or something, just for u to know that this is how video games should be, hard, furstating (sometimes..) and fun!

I know that most of the gamesrs today used to games that mainly have movies in them , and oh u have to press buttons here and there as long as it's not hard...

if u are from my age, the sega age, the nintendo (old one..) age, then u should know that this is how it should be, I don't have the game that u are talking about, I heard it's very hard, and u know what I really am cuiros to see what is the prob...

bye

ZooLaBuS
09-15-2002, 01:29 PM
You are probably right. But it is just frustrating because the part I am at is repeatitive. And hard. You have to do the same thing over and over then once you beat it you go to another part and do the same thing. I guess once I get past this one part it won't be so bad. Anyway I don't own it so maybe that would help. So I wouldn't be rushed to beat it...

SlightlySycho
09-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but every game should have a difficulty mode setting (OK, maybe not RPGs, but still). And DTR would have benefited so much if it had varying intensities.

At the end of the day, though, it is too hard. No game should ever be so hard it's frustrating. And DTR is just too frustrating to be fun. You're supposed to take out several hundred super-humanly strong crooks who could shoot the legs off a tick ten miles away in a hurricane blindfolded. Meanwhile, Jack Slate can't shoot fish in a barrel.:rolleyes:

If you're looking for a Max Payne killer, just keep on looking. The only aspect DTR beats MP in is graphics . . . and that's marginally.

odpr
09-15-2002, 02:02 PM
I have to admit that there is f fine line between hard, and furtsa ting. and u are right if a game is in the frustrating area then it's a bad game. Good company know how to build the balance between hard and a little times frustrating (which is fun sometime..) but I heard here many times that this game is damn frustrating so... I really don't know..

Dre
09-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho
Yeah, but every game should have a difficulty mode setting (OK, maybe not RPGs, but still). And DTR would have benefited so much if it had varying intensities.

At the end of the day, though, it is too hard. No game should ever be so hard it's frustrating. And DTR is just too frustrating to be fun. You're supposed to take out several hundred super-humanly strong crooks who could shoot the legs off a tick ten miles away in a hurricane blindfolded. Meanwhile, Jack Slate can't shoot fish in a barrel.:rolleyes:

If you're looking for a Max Payne killer, just keep on looking. The only aspect DTR beats MP in is graphics . . . and that's marginally.

I own DTR and used to own MP. The comments you made I just can't agree with. DTR is miles ahead of MP. Disarms, human shields, wall moves, k9 unit are all new to DTR and are all super cool features. The things it does share with MP is the cool weapons available and slow-time jumps. I played through both games and had much more fun with DTR. Yes it is difficult, but not so difficult that I repeated a part more than 3-4 times without progressing and this is acceptable by me and my standards.

IMO, some people are alot better than others at gaming, maybe this game caters a bit more to the skilled gamer than MP does.

hook-worm J
09-15-2002, 02:51 PM
DTR, has one setting, hard, like all games should have. I agree with Dre, DTR is miles ahead of MP, it leaves MP in the dusty deserted trails....

odpr
09-15-2002, 03:32 PM
I really didn't get it when I played mp at first time, and finished it after few hours, what people got so excited about? How come game spot gave it such a high score? why ?

what good about it ? the bullet time? That’s all he have to offer and not only that because of this amazing thingy u can beat the game in no time.. Then what is the idea? there wan\'t even for one sec that the ai thought of something nice to-do, actually they don't think at all!!
The game is so easy, when I come to think of it , it's not even a game it's a movie, and u don\t want it tostpo..

Highlite23
09-15-2002, 03:42 PM
This game is hard..........but this game is also not one you can run and gun in.

Your fire power alone aint gonna do it, and actually if you have the right strategy the levels are not as hard as you think.

IMO;)

borka105
09-15-2002, 10:17 PM
This game is all strategy, action, and excitement.

THink about it: If you are surrounded by 10 thugs, are you just going to walk near them and start shooting while they outnumber you.

If you are, then you're stupid.

IN DTR you would first grab one guy as a human shield, waste him and a couple of his friends. Then disarm the next thug. Then go into bullet time and finish the rest off.

Now that's strategy, and boy is it fun when it works out the way you planned.

Now this is how a game should play :)

-Borka105

rockola
09-16-2002, 12:14 PM
DTR is a hard game, too hard, period.

DTR improves on everything that MP does, but the wacky control scheme of dtr I think sucks, but I can get over it. having to always control your camera sucks but I can get over it. everything else about dtr, except the mini games improves everything done in MP

DTR isnt impossible but the gameplay is what I would consider hard for a game that would have easy, medium, and hard settings. they need an easier setting for it to be a game that accessable to a wide rang of gamers. right now its just too hard to ever be best seller for more than a month. most of your gamers will buy it and return it or trade it in.

even though I really like the game, I dont recommend it to anyone of my friends if they ask about which new games are out for xbox. and the difficulty of the game has caused me to loose interest in it myself.

I know youd have people say that is how a game is supposed to be but, it isnt. dont fool yourself.

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Dre
IMO, some people are alot better than others at gaming, maybe this game caters a bit more to the skilled gamer than MP does.

Thats like saying someone is stupid for likeing mustard (or hating it based on your preference). The fact of the matter is that this game was not made for everyone. It is NOT a mainstream game. It is a game that is not ment for everyone to enjoy, reguardless of their gaming skill. I've been playing games since my father brought home our first pong machine and I have beat many game, but this one just doesn't appeal to me. So therefore, by your standards, I am not a skilled gamer. Plain and simply not every game out there will appeal to everyone. Doesn't mean that their stupid or unskilled, it just means not everything is for everyone.

Dre
09-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan

Thats like saying someone is stupid for likeing mustard (or hating it based on your preference). The fact of the matter is that this game was not made for everyone. It is NOT a mainstream game. It is a game that is not ment for everyone to enjoy, reguardless of their gaming skill. I've been playing games since my father brought home our first pong machine and I have beat many game, but this one just doesn't appeal to me. So therefore, by your standards, I am not a skilled gamer. Plain and simply not every game out there will appeal to everyone. Doesn't mean that their stupid or unskilled, it just means not everything is for everyone.

Whoa. Thats taking what I said out of context. I was referring to the level of difficulty of the game and not the preferences of a whole gaming population as you would make it sound! Someone comparing this game to MP must enjoy the 3rd person shooter in some way seeing as how they've played MP and DTR; assuming people comparing the games have actually played them obviously.

Xtopia
09-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SlightlySycho

I could not have said it better.

DTR is so hard it is frustrating. It just gets so repetitive.

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 02:04 PM
But in that sense, because I prefer to play MP, I am not as skilled a gamer as are you... right... is that not what the statement says? I do prefer MP (on PC, all other versions are worthless to me). Because it's a straight up shooter where you don't have to think too much to kill someone. You just walk up an shoot em and BIGGITY BAM!!!!!!!!! Their dead. Not, should I crack his neck then shoot him in the skull after having pulled his arm around his back... or should I dive at this crowd of people firing SPOT ON with the highest possible calibur bullet for hand guns... or should I send my dog in to attack ... It's just that if I want cinamatic action, I don't wanna play a game where I'm snapping the neck of one guy, and their just waiting in line to be killed (as when your disarming, the rest of the enimies just wait for you) and I definately don't want to HAVE to play a stage in a game more than twice at the very least. Not fun...

RudedogX
09-16-2002, 02:12 PM
I guess in that sense, it would simply be a genre thing. Maybe you just don't like the genre of this game. To me, this game is generations above Max Payne. Not because it is a shooter, but because it is a shooter and a tactical game combined. Sure, the computer will wait for you to finish disarming a guy and kill him, but you still have to be prepared to take out the rest of his buddies afterwards. The question then becomes can you duck out of the way, take someone hostage, dive and shoot everyone? It's all a matter of strategy. I didn't see much of that strategy in Max Payne. That's not to say that Max Payne is not a good game, it's just that DTR to me with the added strategy, makes it a lot better game. I wasn't sure if I would like the challenge that I was getting on some of the levels, but after a while, I loved it! This game is a great adrenaline rush when you come home from a bad day at work!

Highlite23
09-16-2002, 02:15 PM
DTR is definetlly a "Love it" or "Hate It" game. There is no in between.

You either like the challenge or you don't. We all have different levels of frustration, and yes, if it's frustrating you this may not be the game for you.

The only thing i dissagree with is simple, comments like.........
"This game sucks because it's too hard"

I don't agree with the level of difficulty making a game a bad game, use any other reason, graphics, control, etc...just not "It's too hard";)

Dre
09-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
But in that sense, because I prefer to play MP, I am not as skilled a gamer as are you... right... is that not what the statement says? I do prefer MP (on PC, all other versions are worthless to me). Because it's a straight up shooter where you don't have to think too much to kill someone. You just walk up an shoot em and BIGGITY BAM!!!!!!!!! Their dead. Not, should I crack his neck then shoot him in the skull after having pulled his arm around his back... or should I dive at this crowd of people firing SPOT ON with the highest possible calibur bullet for hand guns... or should I send my dog in to attack ... It's just that if I want cinamatic action, I don't wanna play a game where I'm snapping the neck of one guy, and their just waiting in line to be killed (as when your disarming, the rest of the enimies just wait for you) and I definately don't want to HAVE to play a stage in a game more than twice at the very least. Not fun...

No, it is not all what the statement says.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I respect ya Jimmie. But, if it is such a chore for you to decide on cracking someones neck or sending in a dog, or knowing that you don't pull a disarm in front of 10 guys with guns, I would have to say that you proved my point that skills have got alot to do with the enjoyment you get out it.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes not everyone likes all the same games, but what I'm saying is that DTR is a hard game and its not everyone that has the skills or patience(like the game genre or not) to enjoy playing it. Personally, I loved the game, but a friend of mine who doesn't play video games as much doesn't like it because he dies too much when playing.

Anyways, I think be simply reading this thread you'll see that some people find it hard, and some people find it so hard its no fun. That and my personal experience from the game are what I'm drawing from to make these 'statements'.

bwn82k
09-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I own DTR and used to own MP. The comments you made I just can't agree with. DTR is miles ahead of MP. Disarms, human shields, wall moves, k9 unit are all new to DTR and are all super cool features. The things it does share with MP is the cool weapons available and slow-time jumps. I played through both games and had much more fun with DTR. Yes it is difficult, but not so difficult that I repeated a part more than 3-4 times without progressing and this is acceptable by me and my standards.

3 or 4 times to beat a certain part? Yea that's cool. That's a challenge. But making over 50 attempts to beat just one part? No. DTR has a fun factor of -1. Yea....the features are awesome...but it takes more then that to make a good game. I'm glad I rented it before I bought it. I got it as a 5-day rental and returned it 2 days early.

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 02:40 PM
I did find it hard, but that's not what was bothersome (btw, no more arguements about DTR and liking it). I found it bothersome that it's completely impossible to get good enough at the game (as per my few 10 hours of experiance) to pass a level in one go based on that which I have learned. It seems as though I don't make any progress at all, when I still have to play every single level 5 times at least to beat it. If I can play a game like Max Payne and beat it without being hit by even one bullet (it is possible as I have done it .. pc only of course) because I'VE gotten good enough at MP to be able to do that. In DTR, though I've played as long as I have, I still have not the abillity to pass a level or even an area without being hit or even killed. That makes it very frustrating and detracts GREATLY from the gameplay. Mind you this is simply how I view the game in its current incarnation. Perhaps if I were willing to devote much more time to it, I could get that good... but it seems that it will require much more practice than any other game I've played thus far... which I don't have time for unfortunately. I have time to play games only in short spurts at this point in my life... maybe when I was in highschool I could have devoted some time to such a feat and would be willing to do so, but as it stands, responsibilty sucks as you have only time for it and nothing else. So be it that is the world America and my parents have made for me... It could be alot worse....

P.S. Just in case, there was no hostility intended with this post...