PDA

View Full Version : halo vs gta...as a console seller..

odpr
09-16-2002, 09:29 AM
welp, u see the subj..

Can’t say more then that besides from the fact that we have to admit, that gta is much better then halo, yes yes, there is nothing new in halo that we haven't seen on the pc, sure it's smart it's great but in the end it is just the same old first person ....
While gta is offering brand new idea, and u can't play it any where, no no u can't play it on pc, because it doesn't move at all..

so only place to play it is on ps two, and as far and stupid that this thing may sound my friend wanted to buy ps two just because of this game, there is nothing like it in the Xbox, and nothing like it is going to come out... so I think that we have another ps two buy blitz when the new thingy will come out...

we have to face the fact that until a gta or something like it will come to the Xbox the ps will continue to sell even more.. no halo eight or more will help, the reason ,again, is because halo doesn't offer anything amazing, that we haven’t seen on pc..

This is my opinion.

Crazy Joe
09-16-2002, 10:20 AM
you can't play GTA3 on PC because it doesn't move? I think you need to check your specs, sounds like you are far below the minimum.

Besides, there are many "GTA" clones coming out on all consoles, so Xbox will do fine.

Xracer
09-16-2002, 10:33 AM
till next year xbox is the only place you can play halo.While GTA you can play on PC and PS2.

ever hear of a lil PC game called Mafia??! it biatch slaps GTA3

odpr
09-16-2002, 11:38 AM
Tell me ..as a gamer, what u wanted to come as fast as possible to pc, halo , or gta? I personally thought of gta in my mind, because it's new idea, never seen it in any other game!

Halo on the other hand u say, ok this is really good game , an amazing first person, but still I have my unreal, doom , and actually all the game that came to the pc in the last five years...so I can handle myself, because all the game to the pc are first person..

so ok, another first person but in space instead of houses....

so this is how I see it .. About mafia, when it's coming out?

about the other clones u said, when they are coming out? and again to bold it, clones!! don't tell me u weren't disappointed when u heard that gta isn't coming to the Xbox....what will make u more happy the news that halo two is coming in November, or gta vice city? with hand on the heart , what will u buy first....
Without knowing u guys I will bet gta... we just have to face it..

rockola
09-16-2002, 12:29 PM
ok the truth...

Gta3 is a really awesome game.
gta3 is a really fun to play game.
gta3 is a new gameplay style that has never befor been done.

but.

gta3 is not a better game than halo. Ive played them both and say what you want, gta3 just isnt a better game.

Gta3 has its hooks, drive by's, car jacking, beating up innocent people. but other than that its just an ordinarily good game, nothing special. after the first island, youve basicly done everything.

the one thing abotu gta3 though is the fact that it is less geared towards a specific type of gamer. meaning anyone can pick up a game like gta3 and enjoy it. plus the mafia/gang theme of gta3 can be more appealing to a lt of people. Halo isnt like that. a lot of people have mad problems with first person games- learning the controls, some people just like to see thier avatar, it takes a bit more skill to play a fps well than it does a gta style game.

but for someone that doesnt have any of those fps hangups. they would get more overall enjoyment out of halo than gta3. halo is a better quality game. if halo was released , origionaly, on the ps2, it wouldve outsold gta3

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 12:37 PM
Mafia is already out in the states. honestly, I thought of GTA3 too when I wanted a game to come to PC... You know why... because I'm not going to waste my money on game for Ps2 when it's barely playable... (the frame rates are absolute crap in that game on PS2 and the game LOOKS frickin HORRIBLE compared to PC textures, in which, the PC version is EXCEPTIONALLY bogged down by the PS2 version graphically) Halo on the other hand, runs fine on my Xbox, looks fine and plays fine and is not bogged down by the system it debuted on.

xboxmaster2002
09-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Halo sold Xboxes and GTA sold PS2's its as simple as that...

LynxFX
09-16-2002, 12:49 PM
GTA3 looks and runs incredibly well on my pc. A helluva lot better than the PS2 counterpart plus with more features like an mp3 radio station.

So I have Halo on the Xbox and GTA3 on the PC. Why would I want or need an inferior and outdated PS2?

There is nothing that I want that isn't on the PC or Xbox.

odpr
09-16-2002, 02:14 PM
pc u say... pc!! this is the worst thing ever..
why u ask?
welp the guys with the ps two have one gaming system , one place to go when they want to go and play, we on the other hand always come with the , excuse me , lame excuse. we can play it on the pc, the reason I bought the Xbox is to never ever play on the pc.

And yes there is gt on the pc, it runs so lame, I have a very good computer, it's full of bugs, and this is a games the screams I am from the console world go play me there!!
true the ps version has a very bad gfx comparing to the pc, but still there it runs really good..

Don’t get me wrong , I love the box, I want sony to loose and I want to see the gaming world coming back to the state. but still when u take the average customer, and ask him what u want to buy , e take him to one of the major market that u have in the stat, and tell him welp , what u want Xbox, or ps two, what will be his first question?
ok , which one have the better games?
Second one will be which one have more games.... u know the answer to that...

so what will u tell him. look there is this Xbox much better in gfx and much better in sound, but sorry I don't have any games to show that shows much of that , oh but the future of this console , whahwah, is very good......

so people living in the present not in the future will buy ps two, true maybe in a year, the Xbox will kill the ps two , but today, u can't compare them....

Highlite23
09-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by odpr
pc u say... pc!! this is the worst thing ever..
why u ask?
welp the guys with the ps two have one gaming system , one place to go when they want to go and play, we on the other hand always come with the , excuse me , lame excuse. we can play it on the pc, the reason I bought the Xbox is to never ever play on the pc.

And yes there is gt on the pc, it runs so lame, I have a very good computer, it's full of bugs, and this is a games the screams I am from the console world go play me there!!
true the ps version has a very bad gfx comparing to the pc, but still there it runs really good..

Don’t get me wrong , I love the box, I want sony to loose and I want to see the gaming world coming back to the state. but still when u take the average customer, and ask him what u want to buy , e take him to one of the major market that u have in the stat, and tell him welp , what u want Xbox, or ps two, what will be his first question?
ok , which one have the better games?
Second one will be which one have more games.... u know the answer to that...

so what will u tell him. look there is this Xbox much better in gfx and much better in sound, but sorry I don't have any games to show that shows much of that , oh but the future of this console , whahwah, is very good......

so people living in the present not in the future will buy ps two, true maybe in a year, the Xbox will kill the ps two , but today, u can't compare them....

odpr your deluted, i would guess if you asked 10 people you would get the answer your looking for, but i bet i can ask 10 people and get XBOX.

Who are these average peple you speak of?? I have 2 regular GameStop stores that i frequent on a regular basis, and without question people are becoming more and more interested in the XBOX, PS2's have been coming in on trade at a higher rate than ever, i know, how can i back this, well........i can't. But your making this argument black & white, assuming what people will respond to questions YOU feel are the important ones.

Bottom line, both games in question sold systems for there respective company. But they are 2 complettly different games, appealing to completlly different people.

I stopped playing games on my PC along time ago, not that there is anything inferior about the PC experience, i just like playing on a console, but personally, i disliked GTA3, regardless of what reviews and people say. I have played it and it doesn't do a thing for me, this of course is my opinion.

There is the key....OPINIONS, we all have them, and to make blanket asumptions as to what the majority of people would say is just rediculouse.

odpr
09-16-2002, 03:04 PM
w to say that u don't like gta..well well.. I find it hard to believe..
but ok, I can' understand that.

the reason I turn to the console world , is because I think that games there are much fun and there is no troubles with this problems that the pc , besides playing on the keyboard is so .....

anyway , what I wanted to say is that let's take a look on what will happen when the new gta will come ok ? and see..

what u don't get and many people here don't get, gta three got a huge community of gamers and people that say it's amazing game even if they are not a true gamers. even if they never played a game more then few seconds. this is what makes a good game a good one!

on the other hand halo is good, but only the heavy gamers see it's good, the fps system, is here for so many years, the average player will look at halo and say, ok , what is new here ?!

and u know what he is right, it's just a great amazing! fps game, but still it's just another fps.... while gta is what? another what? there is no another... there is a reason Microsoft is chasing them . there is a reason that so many clones are getting out, maybe one of the clones will outsold gta, after all halo is a clone of doom ...:)

l Maximus l
09-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Odpr...

Dude...it appears that you have skills in saying the exact same thing several different ways. How about some new input?

GTA3 is a third person shooter/fighter game. I've played the game numerous times and I find it somewhat boring after a while. I like the idea of being able to free roam, however, it's the same old thing no matter where you go: Just killing innocent people and stealing cars. Running missions for the mafia, etc is much more fun because there is a "purpose" and objective that you are trying to complete.

GTA3 lacks good framerate on the PS2 and graphically it is a horrible looking game. Gameplay is the strongest suit for GTA3 without a doubt. Excellent gameplay.

Comparing GTA3 with Halo feels kind of wierd to me. It's like comparing a Volkswagon beetle to a Ferrari Testorosa. Halo is, by far, a superior game in all aspects. Graphically, Sound, and even the gameplay is subperb...

The only drastic difference in the gameplay between GTA3 and Halo is that in GTA3 anyone can pick up the game (even a new person to the game) and be able to have fun. Halo, on the other hand, takes more practice to gain skill. I don't know about you, but, I prefer games that offer a challenge instead of being able to master a game in 5 minutes. Just my $0.02.

Snoopy7548
09-16-2002, 03:29 PM
yea, and halo also has the system link:D dude max, im catching up to you! lol:)

l Maximus l
09-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
yea, and halo also has the system link:D dude max, im catching up to you! lol:)

Ah yes, my white bodies black nosed friend....System Link capability. Also, with XBConnect, you can play Halo on-line. Truly badass.

Oh yeah...keep in mind that you you have 1500 posts to go..and that's just to be in a tie ;) hehe

Snoopy7548
09-16-2002, 03:32 PM
you'll see. those 1500 posts will go by so fast. lol.:D :)

ShannonX
09-16-2002, 03:36 PM
hmm, which game am i still playing? Halo i've had that almost a year now. I played GTA3 for about 3 weeks and got so bored with it, i haven't played it since. Its repetitious, you do the same thing over and over again.

as to GTA: vice city or halo 2. Halo 2 hands down as the game i'll be getting.

Snoopy7548
09-16-2002, 03:40 PM
you cant really compare the games, in terms of gameplay, since theyre two different genres. gta3 is probly the most fun 3rd person action game ever, and halo is probly the most fun 1st person action game ever.

hook-worm J
09-16-2002, 04:25 PM
GTA 3 isn't an entirely new concept... What about driver and driver 2 for PSone? GTA 3 just adds new stuff, and makes it a mature game.

Snoopy7548
09-16-2002, 04:27 PM
yea, in driver 2, you could get out of your car and steal other cars. the only thing that makes it different from gta3 is that you cant kill people

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 04:38 PM
I have played LITERALLY COUNTLESS HOURS on both versions of GTA3 and I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt that GTA3, dispite its horrid graphics (PS2's fault) is WORLDS better on the PC than it's PS2 counterpart. The PS2 version (I'd played 80 hours AT LEAST of the PS2 version before I'd gotten my PC version) BARELY runs on the PS2 hardware, because the PS2 can BARELY handle that game. If you had a good enough PC to run this game, You too would KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that the PC version absolutely ANNIHLATES the Ps2 version. Now it may be cheaper to play it on PS2, but if you ask me, it was a mistake to have played the PS2 version at all, because I spoiled the PC experiance of what could have been an even better game. I especially love the fact that I can change out cars and character models in my PC version to offer up a new experiance to an old game. They even have a winter mod that takes advantage of PC's better abilities over PS2. BTW, I would have loved to have GTA3 on my Xbox, but obviously since Sony shelled out the cash to Rockstar I have to wait for the PC version of GTA VC (my PS2 broke, and I'm not replacing it...).

LynxFX
09-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I have played LITERALLY COUNTLESS HOURS on both versions of GTA3 and I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt that GTA3, dispite its horrid graphics (PS2's fault) is WORLDS better on the PC than it's PS2 counterpart. The PS2 version (I'd played 80 hours AT LEAST of the PS2 version before I'd gotten my PC version) BARELY runs on the PS2 hardware, because the PS2 can BARELY handle that game. If you had a good enough PC to run this game, You too would KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that the PC version absolutely ANNIHLATES the Ps2 version. Now it may be cheaper to play it on PS2, but if you ask me, it was a mistake to have played the PS2 version at all, because I spoiled the PC experiance of what could have been an even better game. I especially love the fact that I can change out cars and character models in my PC version to offer up a new experiance to an old game. They even have a winter mod that takes advantage of PC's better abilities over PS2. BTW, I would have loved to have GTA3 on my Xbox, but obviously since Sony shelled out the cash to Rockstar I have to wait for the PC version of GTA VC (my PS2 broke, and I'm not replacing it...).

Exactly what he said...again. Oddly enough, coming from another Coloradee. :)

odpr, It seems to me that you either don't even have a mid range computer or you have no clue on how to use one. Again I say, why do I need an obsolete and inferior PS2 when I have the Xbox and a PC? You can't do half the stuff that an Xbox and PC can do with a PS2 alone. You would need :eek: an Xbox and PC to fill the gap, but then again you are left with the question, why do I need the PS2?

odpr
09-16-2002, 09:04 PM
not true. the ps two version run to my opnion better then the pc, there isn't this smear of gfx all the time, there is no sudden stuck, but I Can tell u this , if the ps two barley run the gta version, then how can u imagine an improved version of the new gta which acording to game spot have a better gf..!

and let me tell u something, when halo will come to the pc it will run better and look better u know it , I know it, every one know it...

the computer will run halo so much better u could not believe it, better futures, now tell me, if this is the anolgy that it's better to play gta on the computer why not wait and play halo on pc too? then ask urself the question (while u playing halo on the pc..) why u bought an xbox in the first place? ?

bye

Afro Aura
09-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Hmmm a very weird person this odpr, as everyone has said GTA3 is a totally different game to Halo they are so many things you can do with Halo for fun that you can't do with GTA3....hang on you can't do anything with GTA3 AT ALL
So with me Halo ranks on-top and when Halo 2 is out I'll be the first person in the store to grap hold of it

I've played at my friends house and I think GTA3 can stay at his house

GTA3 is fun for a while but after an hour or so it gets repetitive

hook-worm J
09-16-2002, 10:30 PM
and let me tell u something, when halo will come to the pc it will run better and look better u know it , I know it, every one know it...

the computer will run halo so much better u could not believe it, better futures, now tell me, if this is the anolgy that it's better to play gta on the computer why not wait and play halo on pc too? then ask urself the question (while u playing halo on the pc..) why u bought an xbox in the first place? ?

bye

when Halo comes out for the PC I'll garuntee you it'll take a lot more than a 733 mhz cpu to run it as good as it does on Xbox.

And I didn't buy an Xbox just for Halo... I bought it for all the other kickass title coming out also. And some people have low end computers that wouldn't be able to run halo, so they could just spend $200 so they could play halo on Xbox, rather than $500 + to upgrade their PC. And some poeple like knowing that when they buy an Xbox game that it will work correctley, which isn't always the case with PC games.

tWoTOMA
09-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Halo sells Xboxes, GTA sells PS2's. Hell, I almost bought a PS2 just to play the game! One thing I can say is that common people would rather play GTA than Halo anyday. Halo is easy to play for a FPS, but it's still an FPS, which casual gamers usually don't care to play. Even if it wasn't an FPS but a TPS, you'd see GTA selling more, simply because it's just soooo cool. How can you not like doing anything you want?! You can follow any number of plotlines, or simpley run up and downthe streets stealing cars and killing people and picking up hookers! Halo rules, and it's still my favorite Xbox game, but there is not one person on Earth (don't deny it) that would rather play it than GTA3.

Not One!

hook-worm J
09-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tWoTOMA
but there is not one person on Earth (don't deny it) that would rather play it than GTA3.

Not One!

Me, I'm a person! and I would rather play Halo than GTA 3. Hell, I'd rather play GTA 1 for the PC rather than GTA 3 (PC or PS2), man, GTA 1 0\/\/|\|ZZZZ!!!!!!

odpr
09-17-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by hook-worm J

when Halo comes out for the PC I'll garuntee you it'll take a lot more than a 733 mhz cpu to run it as good as it does on Xbox.

And I didn't buy an Xbox just for Halo... I bought it for all the other kickass title coming out also. And some people have low end computers that wouldn't be able to run halo, so they could just spend $200 so they could play halo on Xbox, rather than $500 + to upgrade their PC. And some poeple like knowing that when they buy an Xbox game that it will work correctley, which isn't always the case with PC games.

u mess it all, there is no logic in what u say, in one hand u say I rather play the gta on the pc then on ps two cuz it runs much better, should I remind u the hardware that u need in order to do that? and u tell me that the gfx of this game is much b better then the ps two version, ok that make sense so far, but then u say , hey halo will need a lot more hardware when it will come out....mmm let's think for a moment why ? Because it's going to look trillion times better then the Xbox! and then what will u say ? I can play it on the Xbox ? sure u can like u can play gta on the ps two! but which version u prefer ? u said so urself the pc version, take this analogy back to halo......

Snoopy7548
09-17-2002, 01:42 PM
not true. the ps two version run to my opnion better then the pc, there isn't this smear of gfx all the time, there is no sudden stuck,

the computer will run halo so much better u could not believe it

hahahha. what are u using? a voodoo 2? lol. if your computer doesnt run gta3 well, then its obivously not gonna run halo at all. halo is far more graphically and technically advanced than gta3.

hook-worm J
09-17-2002, 04:25 PM

u mess it all, there is no logic in what u say, in one hand u say I rather play the gta on the pc then on ps two cuz it runs much better

Did I say I would rather play gta on the pc than on the ps2? Quote me if I did please? You are right, it will take more to run GTA3 on the PC than on ps2, but if you already got the hardware, then why get a PS2... Most poeple have good enough computers (not you obviously) to run GTA 3 decentley, its just that the PS2's hardware is outdated.... simple as that.

DZNUTZ
09-18-2002, 11:18 AM
first...i didn't read all of these.

and say what ya'll will...but gta vice city is gonna sell even more ps2's

theres lil reason at all that i'll play my ps2 if it wasn't for Rockstars groundbreaking series. but i've just read a portion of a very nice preview of gta vice city....and its gonna blow gta3 off the map.

hands down...this game is gonna be a time proven classic.

JimmieDoogan
09-18-2002, 01:24 PM
The only reason it'll sell more ps2's is because Sony shelled out the cash to get it exclusive. The game is still going to be held back by old PS2 hardware. It will still not have the full potential that it SHOULD and COULD have if it were Multiplatform or even PC only... Plain and simple, the game is not going to be as good as it COULD be. It's going to be passable on PS2 hardware as was the last one. and ODPR, I agree with that other guy. If you don't have a PC that runs GTA3 well enough, YOU DEFINATELY won't be able to run Halo, as it's graphics are light years beyond anything the PS2 will ever be able to do.

P.S. I didn't have to order any special hardware to run GTA3 on my PC, it already ran perfectly on my 1.13gig Tbird, Audigy, 512mb Ram, GF3Ti200... and that's a pretty low end system dood... and I get the mad frames in GTA3... don't know what your PC is but it's obvious that your PC is worse off than even mine is... thats too bad that you can't experiance GTA3 a little closer to what the developers intended than that which is currently gracing a completely inferior console....

Snoopy7548
09-18-2002, 01:40 PM
i tried running gta3 on my pc, its 400mhz, voodoo banshee, and 96mb of ram. lol, it would run kinda decent (although it was skipping a little), but then it would always freeze after like 5 seconds. lol

JimmieDoogan
09-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Aside from the Voodoo banshee that's better than a PS2... provided your CPU isn't a K6 line processor... :D

ShannonX
09-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by tWoTOMA
Halo sells Xboxes, GTA sells PS2's. Hell, I almost bought a PS2 just to play the game! One thing I can say is that common people would rather play GTA than Halo anyday. Halo is easy to play for a FPS, but it's still an FPS, which casual gamers usually don't care to play. Even if it wasn't an FPS but a TPS, you'd see GTA selling more, simply because it's just soooo cool. How can you not like doing anything you want?! You can follow any number of plotlines, or simpley run up and downthe streets stealing cars and killing people and picking up hookers! Halo rules, and it's still my favorite Xbox game, but there is not one person on Earth (don't deny it) that would rather play it than GTA3.

Not One!

i guess you know what games i like and dont like huh? You can read my mind and know my innermost thoughts... DIDN'T THINK SO. I would rather play Command and Conquer Red Alert (yes the first red alert) than play gta3. And betwen halo and gta3, i think i already answered that question... i still play halo, and i dont play gta3, gta3 got boring. It was fun for awhile, but doing the same thing over and over again doesn't constitute as fun in my book.

Tinny
09-18-2002, 02:37 PM
OK, I'm sick and tired of the whole "GTA III is crap" feel. GTA is an excellent game. Brilliant freedom (better than Halos) and excellent "action/comedy" (depending on what type of person you are ofcourse). As a game it's great. As a console seller it's even better. Yes, better than Halo. C'mon admit it. GTA III is the better console seller. More people will like it and enjoy it (even if it's for a short period of time). It also has the history. It appeals to a wider audience.
Now Halo is the better game IMO. As an FPS, it's the best I've played and as a video game, it's again the best I've played so far. Easily beating GTA III (which is only like 4th/5th on my fav list - only 2nd and 1st are expected to last, the ones under are going to change every week or so depending on my mood) IMO. Ofcourse thats a biased opinion since I prefer RTS and FPS (and RPG at a lesser degree) games. However as a system seller? No. Halo is an FPS. Though the fan base of the FPS genre is very large, quite alot of people just don't like them. Halo, being an FPS, simply does not appeal to the wider audience that GTA III appeals to. So yes, GTA III is the better system seller. I just don't think it's the better game though.

PS. I brought Halo more than 5 months ago. I'm still loving the hell out of this game. If it's going to last me for 2 more months, it takes out StarCraft and is the record holder for me. And StarCraft only lasted that long because of the Online play. Heck it took out Half-Life 3 weeks back. Damn this is a good game considering my tolerance for games only is 2/3 months or even less!

LynxFX
09-18-2002, 05:38 PM
I think it is kinda pointless to continually debate which game is better since it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Obviously some like the type of game that GTAIII is and then some like the type that Halo is. They both are very very different.

I personally like FPS. I always have. Halo is the only one that has been playable to me on a console. The rest I play on the PC. I could play most FPS on the PC for years without getting bored because of the multiplayer aspect. I'm not just making that up either, I have played some for years. Q2, UT, Half Life (plus the mods), DeltaForce. Multiplayer capabilities increase the replayability exponentially.

I liked GTA III. I first played it on the PS2, thought it was cool. I then played it on the PC, thought it was much better. So went through all the missions for a few weeks but then what? The only fun I can have with it now is driving around and getting the police to chase me. Sure I've had a blast doing that sometimes but the game starts to lose its steam after awhile. I would have been bored with it even sooner on the PS2 since there you can't have your own mp3 radio station, custom cars, custom character models and if they ever release that map editor, custom maps.

I think that alot of GTA III's success to be the result of the controversy surrounding the game. Face it, controversy sells. How many kids out there wanted the game because it made so many parents mad and even was even being pulled from some shelves. I'm not saying it only sold because of that, the game itself is good but the boost it got from the bad publicity definately helped it.

Halo sold not because it was controversal, but because it was good.

Final Verdict: Halo or any FPS gets more play time than GTA III, for me.

wweomaniac
09-18-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already...
but GTA4: VC already has 400, 000 reserved copies at local video game stores. The game is still a month or so away from release so I'm expecting maybe 500-600k reserves in total.

It took Mario Sunshine 10 days to reach 350k copies sold in North America, and ever since then, it's dropped.

Expect GTA4 to sell like tickle me elmo.

As for Halo2, I strongly believe that it will sell like crazy, but thats a year and a bit from now. It may not do as well, but it will attract hella lots of attention like the GTA series.