PDA

View Full Version : Why did YOU buy an Xbox?

Mastaminded
09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
An age old question that is just as simple as it is complex. It's been asked dating back to the Coleco days all the way up to the present, and then some. What edged you to buy your system of choice, or more inparticularly, your Xbox (I'm assuming if you read the subject title, you have one. If not, you're S.O.L)? Was it the beauty (Or lack there of) that had you dishing out $200-$500 on it (Depending on when you bought it and what it came with)? Or was it the game selection that really caught your eye? You tell me. Why you ask? Simply because I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

For me, it was simple. The specs of the Xbox were (And currently still are) the best of all the current home gaming consoles. I'm always interested to see which is technically the best. After seeing promotion videos of Halo, Wreckless (Or Yakuza at the time) and Project Gotham Racing, I was sure the Xbox had the most raw power readily available. Right around Mid-October it seemed that everyone was griping about the original Microsoft brand controller. After holding it in my hands at a Wal-Mart Kiosk (They had not recieved their Oddworld demo. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.) I couldn't see what the big deal was. It seemed fine to me. Sure, it wasn't nearly as small as the PSX controller but it wasn't as big as people were making it out to be. A bit after the Xbox was released this slowly died down and eventually died. Maybe the most important aspect of buying it, for me anyways, was the games. Would this thing keep me busy enough? The answer was obvious and, being an Xbox owner for almost a year now (Got mine on launch day), I think you can figure out what I chose. The games were amazing. Halo still has me playing every now and again. Oddworld was a great little game with a nice mixture of platforming elements and good humor. I got both of these at launch. The other game I had picked up at launch was Madden 2002. I can't really praise/degrade this game simply because it was a port and all systems had it. It's a good game by all means, but many people were already playing this for the PS2 so it wasn't all that jaw dropping. All of these factors combined made me buy an Xbox and I don't regret it the least bit.

It seems as though when each and every Fall/Winter season rolls around, the gaming atmosphere is in the air and in full swing. So many quality titles are coming out for the Xbox this year, along with the highly regarded Xbox Live. Long live the Xbox.

JimmieDoogan
09-16-2002, 02:55 PM
To play BC and Project EGO... those two games were what truely made me want an XBOX. I just got Halo as an added bonus... I honestly didn't expect it to be anything special. But boy was I suprised.

Zion
09-16-2002, 03:14 PM
The main factors for me were the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, lack of need for memory cards, and support for custom soundtracks.

WOWSY
09-16-2002, 03:34 PM
I bought mine because it was cheaper, had everything I needed and was built by Microsoft. The only thing I like from "Phony" is my tv.

virusag13
09-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Because it plays video games and I play video games.

peejay2288
09-16-2002, 04:05 PM
I liked the system itself and allt he extras. Harddrive, ethernet connection, etc. I like how the online was and how it only allows broadband users. I wasn't even aware that they were any online games out at the time I boutgh it. But then I had Halo rented and my dad told me to hook up the xbox to broad band. So I did and started researching and found out I could play Halo online. Ever since I've eben playing Halo online, my life has been full of joy. I also love NFL 2K3. As far as I'm concerned, those are the only two good games for the XBOX right now. It is worth getting an XBOX just for Halo.

I also love the harddrive!!! 50,000 blocks!!!! Now I can save constant replays on my sports games without worrying abotu taking up too much space. You can even copy music onto it. What more could you ask for??? (other than more good games)

GokuX
09-16-2002, 04:15 PM
All of the Gamecubes were sold out.

hook-worm J
09-16-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by peejay2288
I also love the harddrive!!! 50,000 blocks!!!!

It actually has quite a bit more than that. I hear it has a few sections of 50,000 blocks, but no official word has been given by MS.

robnyack
09-16-2002, 06:12 PM
i had gotten very sick and tired of games for the games console after Nintendo 64. More and more the games were designed for kiddies. I finally said to hell with it, and refused to buy another game console (ok, we bought dreamcast...again, the games sucked!) and become a pc gamer.

PC gaming is GREAT in that most of the games are made for adults. The bad part about pc gaming is all the problems you can have with hardware and software and trying to keep your system up to date to be able to play the latest and greatest. But, it was a trade off. I finally had some great games designed more for adults. No more kiddie games or lame ass fighting games for me!

But, all along, I hated the hardware/software thing, and there is just something about lying on your couch in all wierd contorted ways with a game pad in your hand and playing on a big 46" TV!! So, when i heard MS was coming out with a game console that was state of the art and most the games would be geared toward the older crowd, i was sold instantly!

I was waiting for the nov 2001 release for probably over a year, and i have been very happy ever since!

The End.

Highlite23
09-16-2002, 06:27 PM
I swore off consoles for a while. Had a NES and played it to death. Then this new HOT system came out..........NEC Turbo Graphics 16.......holy cow, and it played cd games and music, i almost wet my pants. The system was and still is great, had some classics on it that i occasionally still play, but we all know what happened. So i said, thats it, no more, after all the money i spent, etc, etc.........

Then came the new wave..........Dreamcast, i just could not resist, so here i was again, a full blown gamer once again. Of course with my impecible luck, we know what happened to the Dreamcast.

During all of this the playstaion never really got me goin', but with the Dreamcast i got the gaming bug back really bad, so i started looking at the PS2. Just when i was about to pull the trigger on buying one, the XBOX info started to surface.

The specs were unbaleivable, and it was obviously gearing for the future, so i held off on the PS2 and waited to snatch up an XBOX. I'm glad i did.:cool:

Reclaimer
09-16-2002, 06:34 PM
November 16th I think it was. DOn't quote me because I forgot.
Anyway, I wanted a next generation console and I had every intention to get a PS2 because it had more games and it seemed more established to me because I had a PS1. I thought I couldn't loose because I was told the PS2 was backward compatible.
But a funny thing happened to me at the store. They had the Xbox out in a kiosk and Halo was the game to demo and it was set to the Silent Cartographer level. I played it and I was hooked. From there on. I put back the PS2 I was holding and asked for an Xbox, Halo, PGR, the DVD kit, and 3 controllers. And lived happily ever after. The end.

Rochey69r
09-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Main Reasons:

1. i knew microsoft wouldnt fail me
2. hard drive (thank god no more mem cards and having to choose which files to delete and which ones to save.
3. the music features (being able to listen to music off the harddrive while in game)
4. halo looked bl00dy awsome! and is!
5. the design of controller
6. i thought the ps2 just wasnt good enuff and the gamecube was to kiddy.

do i regret buying an xbox? hell no!! :cool:

pieceofmind83
09-16-2002, 08:57 PM
shenmue 2 is why,but the more games i played the more i saw how much crap the ps2 was.

i still like my ps2,but the xbox is 130% better.

peejay2288
09-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Rochey69r
Main Reasons:

(being able to listen to music off the harddrive while in game)

SAY WHAT?!?!?!

evil xbox king
09-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Rochey69r
Main Reasons:

1. i knew microsoft wouldnt fail me

Er...

I was undecided between the GC and the Xbox so I decided to buy a copy of OAXM and CUBE just to see what each console had in store for us. OAXM won and I bought an XBOX along with Halo, PGR and Rallisport.

So I guess I can thank Kevin Cheung and the boys at OAXM for turning me into a believer!

EvilDONUT
09-17-2002, 02:46 AM
Four reasons:

1. It is more powerful, I looked at the PS2 and I looked at the XBOX, for the same price I was getting so much more with the XBOX. If it wasn't for the $199 price I wouldn't own a console. Period.

2. I knew the library was small but all I wanted was Madden to play during the upcoming football season. Football was the number 2 reason. I ended up buying Fever of course, due to Live support.

3. The DVD was the third punch- I don't have a VHS and I wanted a DVD player. I've enjoyed my Xbox as a movie viewer more than anything else.

4. I went over to my friends house this summer and played Halo, we had a 3 XBOX tournies every Saturday. I knew I needed this game. He also showed me the HD's ability to record music- given Im a huge Pink Floyd fan but am horrible at keeping my CDs (just broke Animals and Meddle last semester), I decided that keeping my library on the Box would rock.

I only own 2 games, but its already worth every penny I've put in it.

BCan
09-17-2002, 05:47 AM
A lot of things, but the specs certainly made me keep an eye on it, and try and save for it. Even if it meant waiting a while and waiting as the catalogue of games built up. The fact that it was so close to a PC in it's structure, meant that there was an ease of portability of games from the PC. After all, it uses DirectX, HDD, GF4, Intel P3-733, how hard could it be to port it??

When the price dropped, I thought I could wait no longer, so pre-ordered a cheaper one. Also that the console was almost 2 years more advanced than a PS2. That it had the support of one of the worlds largest companies, someone who could take a long term fight to Sony.

Also, before getting one, was looking at the sales figures, where they were going along better than the PS2, which is the supposed flagship for console sales. That is without a built in buying public, like Sony had, from the PSX owners, and Nintendo from their consoles.

ALC
09-17-2002, 07:42 PM
I didnt buy it, It was a gift :)

But I had it on my wishlist over the ps2 or gamecube because I did my research and the xbox was just better at the time. (still is ;))

Goku_69
09-17-2002, 08:31 PM
I bought an XBOX because i was sick of Nintendo's crap. And my bro has PS2. I am also a big fan of microsoft. after N64 I just hated Nintendo i bought it thinking it was better than PS1 but I got hosed on that deal!:cool:

laughs
09-17-2002, 09:48 PM
I got mine because of my daddy Bill Gates will never lose to Sony. He has too much pride for that. Also it has more power.... ugh ugh ugh!!!!!

whatsyourprob?
09-18-2002, 11:45 AM
i bought mine to sell on ebay for bunches of dollars, you see i missed out on the ps2 holiday castrophey(sp?), and unfortunatly microsoft had their **** together and shipped the xbox's in bunches, thus foiling my plan to rip off some dude who didnt have the testicular fortitude to weather the cold, rain, sleet, and snow to sit outside best buy all night and buy one. SO, then i opened it and played halo for 72 hours w/o getting off the couch, since then ive gotten 18 or 19 more games, will be paying a ridiculous price for DSL to play XBL and will buy every blockbuster title no matter what its review will be. :eek:

scotto46
09-18-2002, 02:32 PM
I was at the point of my pc addiction ( you know every 3 months) and the 9700 was coming out soon. I was going to lay down almost $400 on a new vidcard when I realized that this was nutz!

I realised the only thing that looked that great the last few years of upgrades were demos and benchmarks!

I was tired of spending hundreds on my computer and only getting a couple games a year that were really worth it. And, never using my computer to it's potential so the games made could run on some guys POS HP celeron with mx2 graphics!

I have to say after a couple months with the xbox that the graphics are better than on the computer 99% of the time.

No more upgrades, no more bios flashes, no more vidcard drivers, etc..;)

Tinny
09-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Well I couldn't find a good modded PS2 that appealed to my specific taste (money was no barrier) so I simply was thinking about the X-Box like a month before I went I got it. I argued with my brother for countless hours about getting it (he was the one that wanted/suggested it you see) and I told him I think about it. The day I decided (the week before I got the X-Box) was also the day (coincidence I bet) I played Halo for the first time. :D

I brought this console for Halo (among other things, but Halo was the main factor) and I can honestly say that I made an excellent decision and I'm not ashamed of buying a system for one game especially if the game is so good it warrants such a decision. Heck I think my brother only wanted the Box for DoA3 and Fifa, but the first time he played Halo (again, coincidence that it was the first game he played on the X-Box... after much beating up) he was damned impressed. And he's the guy that never liked FPS (i.e. my gaming taste)! Sadly we had to go somewhere and only went on Halo for literally 10 minutes. Still when we came back, we played till about 1 before getting kicked off the damn game.

Oh and after I bought the X-Box and the first OXM mag I grabbed and looked at the upcomings, I was shocked. Too many games, many of which I haven't heard of, is coming on the X-Box. Dino Crisis 3. Check. House of the Dead 3. Check. Project Ego? Whats that? Better check it out. Damn. Definately getting this game when it's coming out. Check. Unreal Championship. Check. And the story goes on and on, adding MGS2, Splinter Cell, BC, Battle Engine Aquila, DOOM III etc.

Apologies for not making my post easier to read.

laughs
09-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I can honestly say that this post is home to some on the smartest people out there. We bought the XBOX when mind blowing amounts of people still shell out the same $$$$ for much weaker systems.

japes1
09-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
All of the Gamecubes were sold out. Sadly this was my reason as well, oh how lucky I am.

Fatal-Error
09-18-2002, 07:06 PM
I dunno why I bought mine really. Just wanted something different than a PS2 or GC. I own a PS2 and love it , I refuse to buy A gamecube ( I personally can't stand Nintendo ).

I also like the 5.1 reason too.

Ruiner
09-18-2002, 07:08 PM
The reason i bought xbox is one wonderful word

~Halo~

I'd been following this game since when it debuted at macworld.
and when i found out it was coming out on xbox, well, you know what i did.
I bought one, and halo, the morning it came out at my local walmart : )

japes1
09-18-2002, 11:45 PM
At first I was depressed that I spent $300 so I said to myself that even if I don't like the games I will be happy anyway because it has a dvd player. Then I took it out of the box and pealed the sticky plastic off of it and I thought wow these people that made this thing really know what they're doing. And I popped in the game I bought and just sat there amazed at how sharp everything looked and sounded.

MerimacHamwich
09-19-2002, 12:21 AM
Obvious reasons told me that the xbox was the best. The specs and project ego were main selling points.

As for the 50,000 blocks. That is way off. I have around 90,000 blocks used and it still says I have 50,000+ blocks left.

Kleen
09-19-2002, 01:59 PM
1. XBOX is the best choice for this console generation.
2. RAW...:mad:
3. UFC...:mad: