PDA

View Full Version : NHL2K3 or NHL2003?

RedRooster
09-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Which one do you think will end up being better based on what you've seen and heard so far? And why?
I think I know which one I'll get, I'm just hoping it's as good as it can be!

Pipetender
09-17-2002, 09:23 PM
NHL2K3, because of EA's unintelligent decision not to go Xbox Live I will not be buying EA's series for the first time in 5 years. NFL2k3 was much better than Madden I thought so I hope that NHL2K3 will be the same.

Woocifer
09-17-2002, 11:54 PM
I am hoping the gameplay and camera angles are proper in NHL2K3. I also hope the gameplay is there and that the presentation is a little more involving than 2K was... Though I LOVE that they used Harry Neale...all they need to do is get him and Joe Bowen commentating and we'd all be set.

None the less I tried Ea's hockey demo on my pc and it is just getting further and further away from what real hockey is...

Don't any of the publishers watch hockey??

Zion
09-18-2002, 07:19 AM
2k3 will win hands down this year. EA is pathetic.

Robflare
09-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Are you guys going with 2k3 or EA's version. NBA 2k2 was actually pretty good last year, and I can't see why it won't exceed EA's game, but I like Marv "The Perv" Albert, and he's on EA's game.

CrazyCougar
09-19-2002, 01:01 PM
EA's NHL series is tough to beat. Saying its crap is a load of crock and sounds like a fanboy. Not saying anyone is a fanboy but you cant' cut down EA's products just because you are mad at EA for not going with XBL. Thats their decision but they still make quality games. I will go with EA's NHL most defintely because I know its a solid title as it always has been. I will give 2k3 a spin especially because of the online capabilites. Both games in my opinion will probably be awesome. Just like in football.

DZNUTZ
09-19-2002, 03:45 PM
i used to be the hugest ea fan...

but over the last few years...sega not only has caught up in the major sports (nfl,nba,nhl) categoreys, but slightly surpassed it in my opinion.

i think sega topped the nba about 2 years ago
football this year
and i'm predicting hockey this year as well.

i've heard good simulation aspects of segas nhl2k3 and that combined with the online feature ensures sega will be getting my money this year.

DZNUTZ
09-19-2002, 04:02 PM
btw..heres a lil nhl2k3 info for u to chew on

More than just familiar faces and numbers, Sega Sports NHL 2K3 delivers player realism down to size, skill, and behavior, resulting in individuals that exhibit accurate styles of play. Now grinders battle for pucks in the corners, elite players see the ice and create opportunities, and fast skaters exploit their speed. The all-new Franchise Mode lets you capitalize on player accuracy to develop a team that plays your brand of hockey. Now you can draft hotshot rookies, trade for players who compliment your team, compensate for injured players, and more. Then put that precision to work on the ice by anchoring lines with key players and rotating those lines to create the match-ups you want. Bringing it all together is a new ESPN broadcast system where scores, highlights, and more are presented in the network’s famous style, putting NHL 2K3 in prime position for a repeat season as the leader in hockey realism.

PS2
Release: Fall 2002
Players: 1-8
Peripherals: Multitap, Memory Card
Online Play: No

XBOX
Players: 1-4
Peripherals: Memory Unit
Online Play: Yes

GC
Players: 1-4
Peripherals: Memory Card
Online Play: No

NHL 2K3 Features

ESPN Broadcast Presentation -- Replays, scores, music, and more are displayed in the famous ESPN style.
All New Franchise Mode -- Create a team and develop it into a dynasty. Play the roles of general manager, coach, scout, player, and more.
Detailed Player Attributes -- Each player is rated in over 50 different categories, resulting in unique players that perform like their real-world counterparts.
Complete Lines Control -- Set and customize lines based upon your own strategy and maintain full control over how and when you cycle them.
Improved Play Execution -- Teammates work together to set up plays and execute strategy. Defense-minded teams may trap the zones, while faster teams tend to play a more wide-open style.
Revamped Special Teams -- Tougher power play units will make you think twice about committing frivolous penalties.
Dynamic Graphics and Lighting -- Next-generation technology meticulously displays details such as glass reflections, ice texture, uniform fabric, and decals.
Play-by-play with convincing situational analysis and awareness, improved telestrator, and more varied game commentary.
Over 30 Arenas -- All 30 NHL arenas are represented in the game with extras such as a Legends arena and an International ice rink.
Advanced Physics Engine -- Puck movement is more consistent, making passes, shots and saves more predictable and realistic.

RedRooster
09-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Putting online play aside, which will offer the most realistic hockey game?
I want the one that my friend's and I can play and have single digit scores over 10+ minute periods. Or am I expecting too much out of a console hockey game?
In fact, graphics rate somewhere near the bottom of the scale for importance to me.

Over the past couple years, I've become less and less impressed with EA's games, as it seems you have to fight with the game just to make it somewhat realistic. If Sega can pull off something similar to their football game, I'm sure they'd sell well just for that.
At least here's to hoping. :cool:

Halo Evolved
09-20-2002, 11:24 AM
I'll be picking up EA NHL 2003 next month when it is released......you have to realize that with SEGA SPORTS and EA SPORTS that each has their own strengths and weaknesses.......one company may have a better football title while the other will have a better hockey title. Simply basing a desicion on whether or not the title will support LIVE is very weak since friends have been in existance for ages now and actually are a better play than online since you can see the look on their faces as your power play pushes the puck to the net and you hit that last second One Timer and score the game winning goal.

Looking over the NHL titles coming out I see that EA is sticking with their already awesome NHL gameplay with improvements here and there to fine tune. The additions look to be very promising, I especially like the rally meter (crowd rallies behind a team and when it's full you can unleash a sort of adrenalin effect like in 2002 where everyone around you slwos down in slo-mo and you get a sort of super shot on the goal).

I play both SEGA SPORT and EA titles but they are always different sports since like I stated one will be better than another in a certain sport and vice versa.

maximan00
09-20-2002, 09:33 PM
I thought that nhl 2002 was awful on the Xbox so I may wait to see what people say about it before I just go out and buy it. I may also give Sega's offering a good look.

J Dub
10-01-2002, 10:24 AM
I think for more realistic hockey you should get Sega's 2k3. From what I've heard they are trying to keep the scoring tight, just like real hockey. In EA's 2003 they are implementing this bullet time thing, which will create more goals.

Also, when was the last time you were watching a hockey game and the game suddenly slowed down and zoomed in on one player so that he could race around everybody? Never. This is not the Matrix.

This bullet time thing is what definitely scares me about EA's 2003.

2k3 looks like it'll be my buy this year due to the online play.

Longster
10-02-2002, 01:14 PM
NHL2002 is a great game with minor adjustment setting, but it had too many collision problem that affected my game play. This year I am willing to go w/ NHL 2k3 simply cuz of online feature. I've had NHL2002 for quite a while and never finished a single season and haven't played it for a while so I traded the game. With xbox live game, NHL2k3 will have longer life span knowing that I have competitors out there to kick a s s.

db808
10-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Has anyone heard anything about HDTV support in NHL 2k3? I heard NBA 2k3 is going to support it....that would be sweet!

Halo Evolved
10-06-2002, 02:13 PM
I have played the game a bit on Gamecube (NHL 2003) and I must say the gameplay is a bit different than last year with the manual dekes and the gamebreaker is pretty useless....probably best to use it in a breakaway situation. The spead on default is way too slow and the checking is pretty crappy to say the best. The sound track is very excellent and the game overall isn't much better than last years model.......remember this is my view of the Gamecube version since the Xbox one is yet to be released.

Chr0nik
10-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Being a hardcore hockey fan, I will be picking up both titles. I already own NHL Hitz 2K3.

maximan00
10-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
Being a hardcore hockey fan, I will be picking up both titles. I already own NHL Hitz 2K3.

I think that you may be a bit disappointed. The framrate problem is awful. The game is constantly slowing itself down. The cut scenes are awesome though. It was so cool seeing Hull score a hat-trick. This is really the only redeeming factor.