PDA

View Full Version : How far off are Toy Story level graphics??

Highlite23
09-18-2002, 08:24 AM
Or Final Fantasy for that matter. I remember Sony saying this about PS2 before launch, that it would have Toy Story type graphics. Well we all know that was not so.........

But how far off is that next level of realism? Do we need to go that far? Are super realistic games a good thing or bad??

And please understand that, yes game play is key, so let's asume the game is great to avoid that argument.

What do you think?? Is it just around the corner with XBOX2 or PS3??

Or are we looking at 10+ years down the line.

Spaztic
09-18-2002, 11:06 AM
we are just starting to see these types of games now! I bet by the time xbox resources are about tapped that you will see graphics better then toy story!

Woocifer
09-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Yeah that's cute...something that took 2 years to render is going to be done by Xbox when it's "maxed" out....

It would be nice, but the possibility of a processor being able to handle that much detail on a 3D aspect is just beyond what is in a console right now.

To give an outlook on when it will reach that level...that is just too much of a subject to stuff your mouth with your foot. 10 years possibly...but who knows...

whatsyourprob?
09-18-2002, 11:31 AM
Toy Story graphics are easy to do... and now games are coming out with photorealistic graphics... graphics arent the problem... the animation in games is the problem =[

JJaX
09-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Theres a big difference between rendering a movie and doing all this in real time.

We wont see real time story graphics for another 6 years id say

JimmieDoogan
09-18-2002, 12:29 PM
I'll tell you what. If they are saying that the PS3 will be thousands of times faster than the PS2, and it doesn't have graphics that are either on par with or leaps and bounds beyond the current crop or even future crops of games for current systems, and Xbox follows suit (in that they don't offer the graphics I am looking forward to) I'm abandoning console gaming until they do. Considering how good the graphics already look, and the average growth rate of Consoles is that they are several times more powerful than previous iterations, I am almost positive that the next generation of game systems will yeild the results we're all after.

Highlite23
09-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I'll tell you what. If they are saying that the PS3 will be thousands of times faster than the PS2, and it doesn't have graphics that are either on par with or leaps and bounds beyond the current crop or even future crops of games for current systems, and Xbox follows suit (in that they don't offer the graphics I am looking forward to) I'm abandoning console gaming until they do. Considering how good the graphics already look, and the average growth rate of Consoles is that they are several times more powerful than previous iterations, I am almost positive that the next generation of game systems will yeild the results we're all after.

JimmieD, i kinda have to agree with you. If there is any truth to the numbers and PS2 is close to maxed out, XBOX we all know has alot more potential, sheesh look at Wrecklewss, mediocre at best but look what they were able to do with the graphics. For that matter there have been a smattering of games that have pushed the graphics bar up on XBOX. So i agree, the next wave should indeed be capable of some pretty sharp graphics.

I think the next wave of XBOX games are also going to start to show the potential of this console.

JeremyX
09-18-2002, 04:30 PM
We've now reached the point where the in-game graphics look better than it's CG cut scenes. Of course i'm talking about Splinter Cell. Personally I've been waiting to see when this was going to happen. I'm not the only one who thinks this. EGM felt the same way.

LynxFX
09-18-2002, 04:57 PM
It has already come, on the PC at least. Nvidia showed the GF4 rendering a clip from Final Fantasy (the movie) in realtime. It was using their new cg program which IIRC can be implemented on the current Xbox.

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that Nvidia made the claim that they would have Toy Story graphics capabilities in games within the next 3-5 years. Pixar laughed at them and said they wouldn't be able to come close to what they did in Toy Story 1 within 10 years.

ATI did a similar demo with their 9700 pro card and Nvidia is still claiming that the leap in technology from the GF4 to the next gen NV30 is huge compared to previous jumps between product cycles.

I'm sure the Xbox2 and PS3 will be able to handle such graphics without any problems. It is very unlikely that it will come close on the Xbox and not even remotely possible on the PS2. The first place we will see it will be on the PC.

ShannonX
09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
yeah, i was reading about that rendering the final fantasy scene in real time, but it was with the quadro chipset. geforce 4 may be able to do it also as this was before the gf4 was released.

and like somebody else said, its not the graphics we have to worry about, its the animation, thats going to give programmers the hardest challenge.

MerimacHamwich
09-18-2002, 10:28 PM
The way the last 2 sony consoles have come out I would say that PS3 will most likely not be able to handle it but the next Microsoft Console should be able to do it.

pounder
09-18-2002, 11:47 PM
ive seen some cut scenes in some games that looked like final fantasy the movie..well maybe not as good but so damn close..and these were ports..they need to optimize the xbox to show its treue potential..so far only halo 2 has the claim optimizing every bit of the xbox's power..so well have to see what it can really do.

Dre
09-19-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by pounder
ive seen some cut scenes in some games that looked like final fantasy the movie..well maybe not as good but so damn close..and these were ports..they need to optimize the xbox to show its treue potential..so far only halo 2 has the claim optimizing every bit of the xbox's power..so well have to see what it can really do.

those cutscenes you see are more than likely pre-rendered on rendering-farms at the development companies and not on the xbox as you would seem to believe.

pounder
09-19-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Dre

those cutscenes you see are more than likely pre-rendered on rendering-farms at the development companies and not on the xbox as you would seem to believe.

hmm alrighty... :D