PDA

View Full Version : Lord Of The Rings

MerimacHamwich
09-20-2002, 12:56 AM
Who has played the game? I am considering buying it. Ofcourse I will rent it first but I don't have the time right now so I figured I would get some feedback from some other Tolkein fans who have played the game more than 2 hours.

No use posting in this thread if all you are going to do is bash the game without any suffiecient evidence of how you came unbiased to your conclusion. If you are just going to say: LOTR sucks. It is crap I hate it. dont get it it suxxors to the ezixstreme! I wont listen. That is just useless spam.

For those who post intelligable posts I thank you for your input.:)

Duke
09-20-2002, 04:08 AM
_

Heavens Gate
09-20-2002, 07:53 AM
I didn't know it was out yet:confused:

Knight
09-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Heavens Gate
I didn't know it was out yet:confused:

It's not, Next week it's coming out!!

MerimacHamwich
09-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Really it isn't out yet? I saw it listed as available on the blockbuster website.

I would have to agree with you about the potential of the game DukeBuckhorn. I honestly think that the graphics could look better, however, I am going to hold my tongue on any of my opinions until I play it.

smokey1tightgur
09-23-2002, 10:43 PM
that is so you can order it in advance

Young_Fledgling
09-23-2002, 11:41 PM
i will probablly not buy it..... MAYBE rent it...... i dunno just does not look all that good to me :)

John002
09-24-2002, 04:52 AM
Hope the game is better than the movie was.
:)

MerimacHamwich
09-25-2002, 09:37 PM
It seems to follow the book a lot more closely. For example you go through the ancient forrest and meet tom bambadil. You also go through the barrow downs.

FuNkY mOnK
09-26-2002, 11:06 AM
this game is in stores as we speak.

John002
09-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
this game is in stores as we speak.

Anyone buy it yet?
Is it any good?

Pak4182
09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Merimac... Ironic 90% of yuor posts are dissin.

rohackle
09-26-2002, 08:05 PM
i cant ****in believe this...
i bought lotr today, pop it in my machine... looks ugly as hell by the way...
get to the game and BOOM!
missing textures and ****... the menu palette is missing...
i take out the disk run my shirt over it cause i think it's dirty or something..
still doesnt work
I take it back to gamestop here in san diego and they look at the disk and tell me its scratched.. well **** i think i'll take a different
copy...
i put that one in an dit does THE SAME THING...
i took that one back and told them to pop it in thier xbox and it is.... FINE... nothing wrong with the game...
i say well i guess ****... i'll have to take it back i guess...
and it still does the SAME thing here.. all my other games are fine... they say its something wrong with my xbox .... WTF

zfBRAT
09-27-2002, 09:18 AM
Sounds like you should be taking your xbox back instead of the Lord of the Rings

RudedogX
09-27-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by rohackle
i cant ****in believe this...
i bought lotr today, pop it in my machine... looks ugly as hell by the way...
get to the game and BOOM!
missing textures and ****... the menu palette is missing...
i take out the disk run my shirt over it cause i think it's dirty or something..
still doesnt work
I take it back to gamestop here in san diego and they look at the disk and tell me its scratched.. well **** i think i'll take a different
copy...
i put that one in an dit does THE SAME THING...
i took that one back and told them to pop it in thier xbox and it is.... FINE... nothing wrong with the game...
i say well i guess ****... i'll have to take it back i guess...
and it still does the SAME thing here.. all my other games are fine... they say its something wrong with my xbox .... WTF

Funny that you posted that 3 times and you've been called out already as a fraud.:rolleyes:

yall
09-27-2002, 10:21 AM
So has anyone other than the 'it doesnt work' guy played it?

zfBRAT
09-27-2002, 11:57 AM
As if we'd take his opinion n e wayz

TheDarkwolf
09-28-2002, 06:16 AM
I picked up LOTR on Thursday and I must say it is awesome. If you enjoyed the movie or the book you will love this game. It starts off slow as you go through the shire running various errands to prepare yourself for your adventures ahead, but once you get the entire fellowship together the game is sweet....The graphics are really good especially the water and some of the larger enemies. The troll is awesome! Every level I find myself surprised how close it follows the original story as well as the movie. Lots of dialogue in the game and the voice actors are pretty good. Right now I am in the mines of Moria about 5 hours into the game.... I would give the game an 8.5

Knight
09-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by TheDarkwolf
I picked up LOTR on Thursday and I must say it is awesome. If you enjoyed the movie or the book you will love this game. It starts off slow as you go through the shire running various errands to prepare yourself for your adventures ahead, but once you get the entire fellowship together the game is sweet....The graphics are really good especially the water and some of the larger enemies. The troll is awesome! Every level I find myself surprised how close it follows the original story as well as the movie. Lots of dialogue in the game and the voice actors are pretty good. Right now I am in the mines of Moria about 5 hours into the game.... I would give the game an 8.5

Hows the music??
Does it have any missing textures??

MerimacHamwich
09-28-2002, 02:19 PM
I am going to go rent this game today.

zfBRAT
09-28-2002, 11:24 PM
Lemmie know if you like it :)K

TheDarkwolf
09-29-2002, 05:18 AM
The music is good...it is similar to the movie soundtrack IMHO..I have not seen any missing textures...the graphics are very detailed with lots of effects..overall it runs very smooth...It is the type of game you play more for the story then for the actual gameplay...even though I already know how the book goes I still find myself playing through because I wanna see what happens next...While the gameplay is good it is fairly simple for combat.......hit multiple times for combo.....hold down for charged attack....a block button, and a dodge button....although each character has multiple weapons and gandalf has offensive and defensive spells

John002
09-29-2002, 07:55 AM
LOTR is advertised at my Circuit City for $39.99 in Sunday's ad.
They probably won't have it in stock...as usual. I'm waiting to read more reviews here about it.

MerimacHamwich
09-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Well I tried to rent it but Blockbuster sucks ass. I hate them, they did not even have one copy of it in the store. I mean for goshsakes, it is a brand new game, been out for a couple of days, and they do not have it! I guess I will just have to wait or else just go and buy it.

Woocifer
09-29-2002, 04:12 PM
I got this game and personally I did not like it. The gameplay and graphics were pretty good, the sounds was excellent but the animation sequences and the story were completely off.

The story wasn't even clear as to how it related to the book...certain things in the storyline of the game don't even coincide. Why was I kidnapped at the Inn? And why was Tom Bombadill the one who sent me there? And why did I have to fight some evil zombie guy with arms growing out of the ground?

Anyway I found the storyline a little bit odd which kinda made me disinterested in the game. Also the menial tasks that were asked of me kinda annoyed me...it was 4 hours into it before I was actually able to be Aragorn. And then when I was I was asked to kill rats....come on, where's the adventure in this?

Still its a solid game, I just didnt enjoy the story enough to keep it.

SkoalMint
09-30-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by TheDarkwolf
Right now I am in the mines of Moria about 5 hours into the game....

I'm a little disappointed in that it only took 5 hours to get to the Mines of Moria. Has anyone completed the game yet? If so, how long did it take? Also, does there appear to be much in the way of replay value?

Thanks in advance.

Duke
09-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Anyone else get/rent this?

Doesn't seem to be many that have. More info please!!!!!

Supperdog
10-01-2002, 05:32 PM
*NOTE* THE ASS THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT MISSING TEXTURES, ETC WAS ONLY HAVING PROBLEMS BECAUSE HE DOWNLOADED AND BURNED AN ILLEGAL VERSION OF THE GAME, AND THEN WAS ENOUGH OF AN IDIOT TO POST FOR HELP HERE! IGNORE AT ALL COSTS!

zfBRAT
10-01-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, he deserves to have missing textures and so forth

Supperdog
10-02-2002, 05:48 PM
precisely

MerimacHamwich
10-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Well I finally got to rent it this weekend. Unfortunately I must say I am a bit disapointed. It pretty much follows the book. It leaves out some stuff and only changes two things, well that I have noticed. Bombadil suggests the Prancing Pony at Bree instead of Gandalf telling you he'd meet you there. Also, at the end a Nazgul kidnaps Sam. You have to rescue sam and kill the Nazgul and his Fell Beast. I did not notice Boromir dying either. There is a part where he is fighting 4 Orcs but I helped him defeat them and he did not die.

Overall the game is only decent. It seems kind of rushed. There seems to be only 1 talking animation for each character. Most of the voiceovers are decent except Sam and Merry's. Theirs are pretty horrible. The fighting and gameplay is good though.

The graphics are good except in the shire it is a little boring. They could have done better with the grass and rolling hills. Water looks good and it is cool how leaves fall from trees overhead. The in game cut scenes seem unpolished. Sometimes you will notice a character dropping into frame just before he or she has to talk. The cut scene conversations don't really seem like conversations at all times. Sometimes they are chopped and the character will switch his mood or way of talking in an instant without any reason. After seeing some of these ingame cutscenes you get used to it though. The CG cutscenes are marvelous. Very well done.

My favorite part of the game is probably the music. It is great, a perfect fit to the game.

If I was to rate this game overall I would give it a 6.5 or a 7 out of 10. It is decent, not great, and could have used some more time to polish it up.

Tolkien fans like me will be a bit disapointed. I was expecting more of this game. I would not have minded if they delayed it a bit. I think people with a HDTV Widescreen will appreciate it more than those of us without one. The game supports HDTV Widescreen. I would invite everyone to rent this game. It is a good rental, you can beat it within 2 days of some pretty heavy gaming. I think it took me about 15 hours to beat, maybe 20.

John002
10-07-2002, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the great review. I'm going to rent it first.

MerimacHamwich
10-07-2002, 03:55 PM
No problem, just getting my opinion out there for others to consider. Ofcourse everyone should play it on their own first to see if they like it.

brownguy
10-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Just to make things clear for everyone. In the books, Tom Bombadil does mention the prancing pony and Boromir does not die until the Two Towers. Haven't played the game yet, but I just see these things pointed out by people as inconsisntencies for Tolkien fans, when in reality are much closer to the literary works than they realize....just not the movie is all.

MerimacHamwich
10-08-2002, 12:05 PM
I guess the big Orc battle on the river anduin doesn't happen until the first chater of the two towers. I forgot, thanks for reminding me. I am now a little happier with the game. Bmbadil might mention the Prancing Pony but I still think that Gandalf tells them to meet him there.

brownguy
10-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Aye they both mention it.