PDA

View Full Version : XBOX as a PC and UT 2003?

Reversion
09-21-2002, 08:03 AM
Ive been playing UT 2003 demo on pc and all i can say is OMFG im a ut player from way back, and i thought my old geforce 2 gts (64m) 1.2ghz tbirid and kt266 m/b with 256mb ram would choke under the pressure, i was quite wrong! the game plays fantastically and very smoothly, and i realised howmuch i missed my mouse after playing halo so much..

So when i heard that UT 2003 will come shipped with linux server AND CLIENT! i almost choked, because i know that the sourforge linux project will eventually pullup a stable version of linux i thought hmm, will someone release an adapter to plug a mouse/kb into your xbox? OF COURSE! theres money to be made why wouldnt they? this might seriously ****up the fairness of UT CHAMPIONSHIP on xbox but what it does tell me is why **** with UT championship if you could run ut 2003 for pc on your xbox with your best buddy lasermouse and kb whack it into ure lan and go fragging vs pc players?

Why would i want to do this? well i thought about buying a 300-400$ (aud) gfx card , like a suma ge4 just for ut 2003 because i love it so much and i thought wtf, that gfx card will make gfx only really as good as xbox thats kinda st00pid!

Im honestly starting to think xbox should of been released with pc compatibly so game manufactuers could have an xbox version of the game with pure code to deliver the same performence advantage as a console does.....

I dont know the technichal merits of this argument wether it would be possible to get UT 2003 on the box.. if anyone here is a bit of a code guru feel free to flame me / add your piece of mind to the thread!

Cheers!

Xtopia
09-21-2002, 08:13 AM
If you'r so sure somebody will make a mouse for the Xbox, why don't you just wait until Unreal Championship is released for the Xbox, and wait untill Xbox live luanches...and then you can play UC online with a mouse.:)

Oh wait, do you have broadband?;)

Reversion
09-21-2002, 08:14 AM
Yeah i do, but i read UC will be made specifically for controller as in probably easier targetting special moves and stuff

Aside from a mouse/kb not working so well with it i think it would definatly be an unfair advantage over other players and ruin the game ......

EvilDONUT
09-21-2002, 09:21 AM
It all depends how the game plays... if UT has weapons that require precise shots like the railgun in Q3 then a mouse is necessary and it'll be a bust on XBOX live.

Reversion
09-21-2002, 09:27 AM
just a reminder This thread is about UT 2003 not UC plz reply about the UT 2003 component only..

Cheers dudes

MidniteArrow
09-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Reversion
So when i heard that UT 2003 will come shipped with linux server AND CLIENT! i almost choked, because i know that the sourforge linux project will eventually pullup a stable version of linux i thought hmm, will someone release an adapter to plug a mouse/kb into your xbox? OF COURSE! theres money to be made why wouldnt they? this might seriously ****up the fairness of UT CHAMPIONSHIP on xbox but what it does tell me is why **** with UT championship if you could run ut 2003 for pc on your xbox with your best buddy lasermouse and kb whack it into ure lan and go fragging vs pc players?

I don't think this will work. Here's the reason: A piece of software is an executable piece of code. That code has to be "compiled" to run on a specific type of hardware. The linux distribution of the game will be made for the intel family of PC CPUs. The XBox CPU will most likely not run an executable compiled for an Intel CPU. You'd need the source code to get it to work - and I'm pretty sure they're not going to give it to you (you'd need the source because you'd need to compile the executable to be run on an Xbox CPU). You might be able to get ahold of some sort of emulator that makes the Xbox run Intel compiled code, but it would add overhead that would likely make the game unplayable.

hook-worm J
09-21-2002, 01:47 PM
why would you want to? I'm perfectley fine playing UT2k3 on my PC. I'll have UT2k3 for my PC and UC for my Xbox :p

Reversion
09-21-2002, 08:47 PM
If they got linux working the hanvt they worked teh cpu out?

MidniteArrow
09-22-2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Reversion
If they got linux working the hanvt they worked teh cpu out?

Yes and no. If they've got linux running on the Xbox, then they obviously have a compiler. They'd have to use it to compile all the Linux binaries to run on the Xbox to support the operating system. However, just because you have operating system binaries that run on it doesn't mean that you can throw any executable on there and expect it to work. Each executable program that you run has to be compiled for the Xbox CPU. For this you would need the source code - or Xbox CPU versions of the binaries. I'm pretty sure you won't be getting Xbox CPU versions of the binaries as I doubt they are distributing the source code for UT 2003 and I seriously doubt they can provide the binaries for legal reasons.

Reversion
09-22-2002, 06:55 AM
damn thanks neway