PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of "The Thing?"

HALOJAY
09-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Is it really as good as the reviews say it is? I only ask because I just traded Morrowind for it. Did I do the right thing? I loved Morrowind but I really needed a change. Is "The Thing" better than buffy or DTR?

Highlite23
09-22-2002, 08:57 AM
Since you already traded for it i guess you'll find out soon enough.;)

Anyway, The Thing is a great game, the basic gameplay is the same, but the addition of the Trust and Fear factors adds a demension that other games like it lack.

DTR is one of my current faves, it's very challenging and you need to forgett the usuall, run and shoot everything in site mentality. This game is about strategy more than anything else. If you look at the situation and figure out a plan of attack you will get through levels in a couple of tries. If your hell bent on just wanting to out-gun the bad guys.......well, you'll be returning the game and saying it was too hard.

Buffy, is just plain fun to play. Smooth gameplay, and the usuall Buffy humor make this game a keeper IMO. If you liked the show you will deffinewtlly like the game. You can sit and start playing without alot of "Learning" before you master the control system.

Hope that helps.:)

HALOJAY
09-22-2002, 09:14 AM
Actually, that helps a lot. My whole plan is to trade Morrowind for "The Thing" which I could then trade for DTR, which I could then trade for Buffy. I wish I had the cash to just buy all of them out right but I don't, and that is the beauty of GameTZ.

wweomaniac
09-22-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by HALOJAY
Actually, that helps a lot. My whole plan is to trade Morrowind for "The Thing" which I could then trade for DTR, which I could then trade for Buffy. I wish I had the cash to just buy all of them out right but I don't, and that is the beauty of GameTZ. so have u traded MW for the Thing yet?

robnyack
09-22-2002, 09:49 AM
I love this game. Having to deal with your troops with the trust/faer thing is a excellent new original game play twist. THANK GOD for a bit of originality. Game makers should be applauded loudly whenever they come up with something new, because it does not happen very often!

Graphics are good. Not earth-shattering, but damn good enough for you to enjoy.

I just finished the first boss (I hate bosses). Fun game. I don't know about comparing it to Morrowwind, because I've never played it, but that is a game i will eventually get too someday.

HALOJAY
09-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have traded Morrwind for the thing aleady. The game is in the mail. I won't get it until Tuesday.

Tyan
09-23-2002, 04:04 PM
I just rented this game and my initial reactions are mostly positive. I have to admit that the controls are a little awkward at first. I of course was expecting the Halo controls, also all of my time lately has been spent on Morrowind (same as Halo). However that being said I do infact enjoy strafing with the right analog stick. Shooting leaves much to be desired, the auto-aim mechanism is aweful and there is little if any satisfaction in killing enemies. Keep in mind my progress is extemely early in the game, about level four I think, so these are all first impressions. I do like the idea of keeping your crew under control. I noticed when I stood near a dead body too long the guy near me kept complaining and started going kinda crazy, pretty neat dimension of gameplay, very original. Well that is about it for now, gonna keep on playing. Halfway decent game so far, I would say rent this one for sure...

Slacker
09-23-2002, 05:12 PM
I haven't had this much fun with a game since Halo on Legendary I am on level 7 in the thing , and I really Love this game so far, its creepy, the controls are good and I don't mind the auto aim because you can switch to a FP view when aiming, I love the squad based gameplay, it kinda reminds of the game "The Lost vikings" in some way because you need a member to do a task , Engineers are the most important , I love the twists and the fact you have to keep checking your guys Sanity to make sure they are not freaking out, and you have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't become a "thing" behind your back,

But I have been a Thing Fan for a long time I love the 80's version and the old Black and white were the thing looked like a Big Carrot heheheh, as far as keeping it or replay value, I want to at least beat it twice ,

Veno
09-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, I rented it, I got to the level where you start outside a building complex and you see a guy run up to the radio tower, I went inside, killed a bunch of walkers and then my 2 buddies turned into things and i hosed em down with the flame thrower. Then I had to return it, was kinda fun, a bit boring though. Not enough action.

Tyan
09-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Update....

.....I like the second control sceme, and invert your first person under advanced controls. Since I changed the controls around the game got better, strafing with the R and L buttons is great, fire with A button, the control feels far tighter to me in that configuration. There are little touches all over this game that I run into here and there that really bump the tilt. The slight change in camera zoom when an enemy is around is a nice touch.
Also, I dont know why I care so much about the well being of my guys but I do. There came a point where I had lost everyone, I felt so lonely I didnt care if I finished the board alone, it was nothing without them being there too, so I restarted the level. Liking the game more n more, hope a week is long enough.

Pimpn419
09-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Can you really trade games? I usually shop at EB and I'm just assuming that's the place you're talking about since I've heard of trading "newly purchased" games there. I've never heard of trading old games for new ones though...

-Matt

Uchiha Sasuke
09-24-2002, 06:35 AM
Oh yes this is one of favorite games for my xbox now.I didnt even bother renting it and went out it bought it and im soo happy.My friends and I had such a blast with it.We played it for 6 hours on the hardest difficulty and only got the 4th level but i can't wait to see what the rest of the level are like.Its definatley one of there more inovative new games to come out this year.

Jay_Fro
09-25-2002, 07:44 PM
The action in this game definitely picks up as you move along. All the boss battles come at level 5 and after. I'm currently stuck on level 9a, and I'll be damned! I can't for the love of god clear level 9a! You guys will see what I'm talking about when you get to the level. Has anyone here beaten the game yet? I think I should have set the difficulty to *easy* instead of starting out on normal. I might give it one more try tonite before I return it for either Sega GT or Quantum Redshift.

I rate *The Thing* 8.5 out of 10. It adds a new twist to survival horror gameplay, and includes a whole lot of destruction as the levels go on. Having a flame thrower as a finisher is one of the best parts of the game.

Ethereal S. D.
10-03-2002, 07:44 AM
I am new here and i'd like to say that "The Thing" is an excelent game but there is still mutch to be desired. Like for instance, it could have better controls similar to halo ( after playing "The Thing" for a while and then going back to halo confuses the hell outa me and i fell off a cliff because of it). That and the flame-thrower doen't have an auto-aim. :( But all in all, i like this game because it scared the **** outa me a few times lol.
:confused:->:eek: ->:confused: ->:eek: ->:D

Halo Evolved
10-06-2002, 02:20 PM
You know what else could have been better in "The Thing"....the fact that the blood test kits would actually work instead of using them on an NPC and have it say they are human and a few seconds later they turn into "Things"......that really cheesed me off and made the game seem less thrilling since these transformations are scripted.

steveni43770
10-15-2002, 10:36 PM
You made the right choice. The thing is great. Has room for improvement but the game designers ran out of time.

Reclaimer
10-16-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Pimpn419
Can you really trade games? I usually shop at EB and I'm just assuming that's the place you're talking about since I've heard of trading "newly purchased" games there. I've never heard of trading old games for new ones though...

-Matt

Depends on the store, but the games really depreciate in value.
Here's what I've done.

WWF Raw got 15 bucks, traded for 007 Agent Under Fire.
Bloodwake got 10 bucks, traded for THPS3
007 Agent Under Fire got 15 bucks, traded for GunMetal
UFC: Tap Out got 17 bucks, traded for Robotech: Battle Cry
Dead To Rights got 25 bucks,
THPS3 got 10 bucks, I traded both games for Conflict Desert Storm.
Of course I had to pay the difference, but it beat paying full price.
I'm not the kind of person who keeps alot of games around. Halo, Airforce Delta and PGR are the only games I've had for along time and have no intention of trading. Of course with the addition of CDS and RB and GM, those games have quickly become my favorites as well and they might end up on my never trade list.

Anyway, I never saw the 80's Thing. But the other day I got to see the 50's B&W version of the Thing on cable and I loved it. I was never the old movie person, but I have to say that I was impressed with the movie. Even for an old flick like that. That movie has prompted me to look into playing the Xbox verson.

Ethereal S. D.
10-16-2002, 07:07 AM
... but it beat paying full price.

Nothing can ever be more true. :D

In reply to Halo evolved, yeah that ****ed me off as well. But if i die and meet those poor *******s again who turn into the thing, I shoot them in the head w/my sniper before they have a chance to morph.

Speaking of my sniper, that peice of **** can't hit the broad side of a barn unless i am at point blank range!

Another thing that ****ed me off is that i am at a certain point in the game and i am stuck on a ramp between two dead bodies. Problem with these dead bodies is that they spawn little things. No matter how many times i flame the bodies or try to explode them, little things keep comming out of those carcasses. I think 30 or 40 came out of one body alone (this depleted my entire supply of shotgun ammo and half of my mp5). :mad: If there is any way to prevent little things from spawning out of indestructable bodies let me know!:)

Bakeman
10-16-2002, 01:35 PM
I didn't even want to rent this game.

I figured it was just another freaking shooter game.

Then after my 4th or 5th try of renting some games that I really wanted to play (LOTR, Blinx, etc..etc.. ) I picked up the box and read the back. When I read about some of the "NEW" stuff in the game (like fear and trust) I was like "hmm interesting"

So I rented it.. and I was fairly impressed.. I have had fun with it during the rental period.

Although I haven't played it much.. it has been fun.. especially where I ended.. I was in this building after killing 2 or 3 walkers I was in a room and my teammate says "we've got company!!!"

And I look out the window and there are TONS of things running up and jumping through the window (the shotgun was alot of help here! hehe)

Ethereal S. D.
10-16-2002, 05:04 PM
That was the most fun i had with the shotgun. Trick is, is that when they jump and are nearly at muzzle range, i fire to make them explode. 1 shot for 1 kill. but that's just my opinion:D
some of you probably noticed that i got my sig picture working (YAY for me!)

Bakeman
10-16-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Ethereal S. D.
That was the most fun i had with the shotgun. Trick is, is that when they jump and are nearly at muzzle range, i fire to make them explode. 1 shot for 1 kill. but that's just my opinion:D
some of you probably noticed that i got my sig picture working (YAY for me!)

LOL congrats on the sig

yeah I would let them get close so one shot would kill them..