PDA

View Full Version : tekken four vs the doa!

odpr
09-22-2002, 10:49 AM
today I played the tekken four game. could not help my self but to write what I think and compare it to doa ..

well first of all I would like all the guys who said that doa is a button masher please step forward! tekken four is even worse button masher! I played in the survival mode for few minutes , with out knowing any co bination , nothing! I reached level six!

ok now to the gfx. guys I have to tell u there is no such a big difference between that and doa ... not only they used the same places to fight, there is this woods place, with water and so,,, the character gfx is lower but still nothing worse...

although the Xbox doa three is looking still better , which means that the next game that will follow it will be even better looking and this is (tekken ) the max that the play station can go..

I still could not believe the excitement near the console of people , and in the mean time while I played it, people around me bought the console!!!!!!!!!!

oh boy..

Anyway button mashers, please explain to me why DOA is a masher and tekkne is not ?

Jim Duge
09-22-2002, 11:15 AM
"I played in the survival mode for few minutes , with out knowing any co bination , nothing! I reached level six! "

I haven't played it yet, but I've beaten DOA just smashing buttons. Only means the difficulty is low.

I'm totally all for Tekken. Not necessarily Tekken 4, as I've heard some bad things about certain situations. But me and my friends played Tekken Tag to death.

Most moves in Tekken and DOA are rather similar, 1,2,3 or a, b, x what have you. Hardcore tekken people can go on for great lengths about just frame techniques and frame advantage moves. I'm not that concerned with it.

But I do prefer Tekken series in general over DOA.

Tinny
09-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Graphically DOA3 still outshines all others beat 'em ups out there which is just stupid! I was expecting Tekken to look very good but it's not a massive improvement from the last Tekken game. It looks smoother and has better animations thats all.
I personally wouldn't call DOA3 a button masher, though you can do alot of it by bashing the buttons, the counter moves just make it a non-button masher for me. Playing against the computer on a high difficulty setting for example requires you to know alot more of the moves and be able to time your counters. Play a skilled player at DOA3 and button mashers are pretty much dead. I'm a big button masher BTW. Can't do beat 'em ups (except Marvel vs Capcom) really so I don't really like them. But having played very skilled players I know that DOA3 is certainly not a game for button mashers. I mean almost every move I do is countered. Every counter I do is blocked. Every block I do is grabbed. And every grab I do is counter grabbed. No offense, but whoever calls DOA3 a button masher isn't a good beat 'em up player or hasn't played any good players.

Afro Aura
09-22-2002, 04:50 PM
Hmm Tinny I have to say DoA3 is a button masher just like Tekken theres no real skill to play the game

Now game like Virtua Fighter 4 and Soul Calibur are real beat 'em up just like the 2d beat 'em ups Street Fighter and King of the Fighters

Anyway I've see Tekken 4 (Japanese) months ago and comparing it to DoA3 is a bit of a cheek the backgrounnds in Tekken 4 are plain the new girls hair looks like shes got to much gel on her head, but I do admit it does look a bit smoother and thats it really

could someone tell me is Virtual Fighter 4.1 coming out on the XBOX?

[oXo]
09-22-2002, 07:14 PM
I just tried Tekken 4 this weekend and I just cannot believe why anyone would be crazy about that game. And to compare it to DOA 3 is without any doubt to DOA 3s advantage. DOA 3 is WAY better. While playing Tekken 4 I couldn't stop thinking that If people saw DOA 3 the ps2 would sell less and the xbox would move up the charts *LOL*

Tekken 3 for the PS1 was a great game. But this new version is VERY dissappointing in my book. Generally I think the graphics on the ps2 is the same.

Dyslexic Chaos
09-24-2002, 06:12 PM
OKAY PEOPLE. Calling DOA a button masher is dumb. It's not. What it is, is a damn easy game to "master". All you need to know is the reversal button, and you can be a "master" to!!!And, comparing DOA3 to Tekken 4 and saying the PS2 sux becuase DOA3 is better is dumb. I can say the PS2 is better becuase Tekken 4 is better than Kabuki Warriors, but I don't. U guys judge on perticular games to much. Pretty much every second thread I see is crap like "Tekken 4 is a button masher (I know it sux), so the PS2 sux!!!" or "Mario Sunshine is short, so the GC sux!!!" or "Dead to Rights sux, so the Xbox Sux!!!" I AM SICK OF IT!!!! ALL SYSTEMS ROCK PEOPLE, GET IT THROUGH YOUR F*CKING HEADS!!!! and no, Tekken 4 isn't the best the PS2 can do, it's not pushing it to it's limits. I don't feel like explaining this any further, because it's obvious the PS2 can improve

ex: when GTA3 can out, people thought it was the best the PS2 could be, now Vice City will improve upon it.

Rusted Gundam
09-24-2002, 07:10 PM
I love tekken 4 and Ive only played it a few times, the character models in tekken 4 are all unique and totally kickass. How could you not "awe" when you saw Jin (the guy in the overcoat looking all badass). Also you might not appericate tekken 4 cause youve only seen the computer play and your sorry ass :). If you see someone who knows how to use the fighting system you'll smile at how much the game owns. DOA3 is and isnt a button masher just depends on who your vsing, On the other hand Tekken 4 is not really for button mashers cause you'll just be doing normal kicks and punches that will easily be dodged.

I love DOA3 also cause its fighting system is like water, very flowing. I can perform combos like its actual fights not like its Okay do this and then this, then this. For tina (wrester Girl) can I do a awsome combo where I punch the crap and then kick them up in the air **MY FAVORITE PART HERE>** I grab them while in the air and slam their arse into the ground. I am a fan of all fighting games and was gonna pick up MK:DA today since I dont got a PS2,but saddly it got pushed back into november or october.

Siner
09-24-2002, 09:51 PM
These days any fighting game can be a button masher, they all have characters that people who have never played the game can just mash buttons, but i'd take a skilled fighter who knows the combinations and moves/styles of fighters anyday. Thats not to say that a person who doesn't know moves and just hits the buttons won't win, but the person who knows the game will when most of the matches

y2kash_14
09-25-2002, 02:27 AM
indeed DoA 3 is a Button-Masher, but it doesn't have to be a fighting sim for it to be fun.......Tekken 4 is good both ways...people who aren't familiar with the series can easily pick a character and mash away, while more skilled players can learn some of the more complex combos in the game. I personally prefer the Tekken series, i like the "Right Kick, Left Kick, Right Punch, Left Punch" set-up better than any other set-up. Tekken 4 is currently my #1 Fighting Game......followed by Capcom vs. SNK

Malkator
09-25-2002, 10:58 AM
ok guys basicly you like tekken if you've played it for a while
you can relate to the story, and when you see the grfx improve
from what it was on tekken 3 or tekken tag your'e like in awe
at the guys that were like block figures and you guys need to
stop console fighting its the game that makes the console
and i do agree that grfx make it better but appriciate the game man

peace

Malkator:) :)

[oXo]
09-25-2002, 11:21 AM
To Jerred B:
This thread is about Tekken4 vs. DOA3 and in that regard:

BAH! When I played Tekken4 I was hugely dissappointet since I find the game without any appeal what so ever and would pick DOA3 ANY day since at least the eye candy factor works here and the fighting system is EONS superior to T4. This is MY comparison of these 2 games...okay?. I don't need to use foul language to get it across. It's easy to see they are only interesting in making a fast buck since the game is truly bad in all aspects and totally lacks innovation and again that triggers disappointment when watching the ugly graphics and playing the annoying fighting system. Like stated earlier I LOVE Tekken3...that's truly a great game that put the PS1 to great work, but that's NOT the case with Tekken4. And comparing it to DOA3 is a no-brainer still....these 2 games are so far apart as possible. DOA3=Well crafted, Tekken4=oh boy teH sux;)
On the other hand I'm impressed by MGS2 on the PS2 'cause they took care to publish a good and well crafted product with good attention to detail and gameplay so I'm not a PS2 hater. Tekken 4 is just "old wine on new bottles" so to speak and I can't stand that :) That's my 2 cents.

Will I get flamed now??.....hm well that's hard to say *LOL*

Dyslexic Chaos
09-26-2002, 08:58 AM
I believe I said in my post that Tekken 4 sux, and DOA3 was better, didnt I? Well, I dont think I said DOA3 is better, and I think it is. But, Virtua Fighter 4 and Soul Calibur DESTROY DOA3. This is all IMO though.

Spike Minoda
09-26-2002, 09:04 AM
DoA or DoA3? I dont like tekken but overall I bet it will be better, since I just got rid of DoA 3. (Enjoyed it, but it died out)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-26-2002, 02:53 PM
I think it's a hardware different graphicwise......i think that the tekken engine is starting to show it's age..and should be redesigned(from the ground up)....I think that vf has the best fighting engine then doa 3 with the tekken engine third.....I only hope that one day the gameplay will catch up to the graphics....my two cents