PDA

View Full Version : Steel Batallion- $200 AND $50???

crazyotto
09-23-2002, 07:08 AM
Sep 20, 2002 3:39 PM PT
Capcom plans $200 Xbox game
Game publisher Capcom announced a planned November release for "Steel Batallion," a tank combat game for Microsoft's Xbox console that will be packaged with a custom 40-button game controller and will sell for $200, the same cost as an Xbox. Most Xbox games sell for $50. --David Becker, Special to ZDNet News

I can not justify spending the same amount of $$ as an Xbox on just the controller and still have to buy the game! This news almost has made tears run down my face.

Hugh_Jass
09-23-2002, 07:43 AM
It's doesn't say $200 + $50.

"...a tank combat game...that will be packaged with a custom 40-button controller and will sell for $200..."

crazyotto
09-23-2002, 08:07 AM
my bad your fault-- it still is hard to justify $200 the price of an xbox for just one game. Even if it's as kick @$$ as the game in question. Time will tell. If it is as good as it looks and I work an extra weekend or three I will play. Just can't pre-order :(

OUberLord
09-23-2002, 09:36 AM
not really, if you weign in the fact this thing has 40 buttons, most of which light up, the price is justified. I mean, the controller sounds like itll be about 135, since the game is about 50 and you gotta figure the shipping costs associated with the controller size.

Then you gotta think that you would want something nice, and not a brittle piece of poo with crap buttons. They put alot of time and money into the controller to pick good components that will last through its life span as a gaming controller (Which, lets face it, have a much less life span than anything else).

So, theoretically you could pay like 100 for the game, but youd just end up getting a controller made by the lowest bidder that would break in a matter of weeks of use.

CrazyCougar
09-23-2002, 10:29 AM
The controller is made of plastic....How can that be quality for $200? No thank you.

Variation-XBA
09-23-2002, 10:44 AM
My hard DDR pad was $150, beatmania controller $100, gun w/pedal 75...

40 button controller for $200 seems fine.....its fuggin huge too...

OUberLord
09-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Exactly, and the controller is only about 130 bucks.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-23-2002, 11:40 AM
$ 200 dollars for one game......hell no!!! Sorry..i'm not that hardcore!!!! (i may be Evil, but i'm not crazy)

OppiumNitrates
09-23-2002, 12:34 PM
Maybe some of you don't understand . . . This is a serious game. One of the most serious game ever made, no scratch that . . . . This IS the most serious game ever made. It is not for the ill hearted or the weak minded. This is a game that has a coustom 40+ button controller to simulate the inside of the tank. A true Sim of vertical tanks. You have to relize this game isn't for everyone or even a large percent of the gaming community. Only the hardest-core gamers and Mech fanatics will pick up this Gem . . . . . I am not a huge Mech fan but I have considered picking this title up. This game will shatter the boundries of reality, the first game to erase your saved game files, if your dont eject in time, now that alone shows this game is in it's own catagory.

OUberLord
09-23-2002, 02:12 PM
good point. Its not catered to the casual gamer.

Dre
09-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
the first game to erase your saved game files, if your dont eject in time, now that alone shows this game is in it's own catagory.

Can you imagine how much that factor alone will get your heart pumping and adrenaline flowing during a hard duel or something... now imagine that feeling stoned.. god this game could be cool. I'm hoping I meet someone with it...

Any XBA'ers from Ottawa going to pick this thing up? :)

If this thing was on XBL, I think I'd pick it up, but not until then.

OppiumNitrates
09-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Dre

If this thing was on XBL, I think I'd pick it up, but not until then.

Dam it's not on LIVE . . . i thought it was guess im thinking of somthing else, im deffinatly oing to rent this one. If not just to play with the controller for a few hours.

Dre
09-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

Dam it's not on LIVE . . . i thought it was guess im thinking of somthing else, im deffinatly oing to rent this one. If not just to play with the controller for a few hours.

Maybe it is... if you check out XBA's page on it there is the Xbox Live logo there for the game BUT in no article have I been able to find confirmation or even mention of XBL.

OppiumNitrates
09-23-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Maybe it is... if you check out XBA's page on it there is the Xbox Live logo there for the game BUT in no article have I been able to find confirmation or even mention of XBL.

Dam thats too bad . . . i mean a game this complex i would have thought they would have made it online. Seriously now if you mastered that beast of a controller wouldn't you want to show off your skills. Look at this thing, and to the guy who said it's a plastic peice of trash not worth $150 does this look like trash??? I don't think so. I even blew up the ejector seat button. . . . It's set up like a real ejector seat away from the rest of the other controls and under a small plastic cap that you have to throw back before you can push it. Even the yellow and black Danger design around it. Nice touch.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p6d3775ad5258c85fbe10252c57d4aef8/fd3e116d.jpg

this controller looks so sweet!!!

Whisper
09-23-2002, 03:16 PM
200 bucks for a game. nope nope never do nope.

only if i were a millionair... and then i rather just swim in it.

Dre
09-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
200 bucks for a game. nope nope never do nope.

only if i were a millionair... and then i rather just swim in it.

its more like 400 for us canadians...

Highlite23
09-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Just dawned on me........do you think you can buy the game without the controller???

Dre
09-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
Just dawned on me........do you think you can buy the game without the controller???

I don't think so. Why would you want too? In case you weren't aware, the game will not work with standard controllers.

OppiumNitrates
09-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I don't think so. Why would you want too? In case you weren't aware, the game will not work with standard controllers.

yeah especially since u need 3 buttons just to start the Tank up . . . plus 2 analog control shatfs and a Gear box(automatic gear box) . . . they should have an option for manual or automatic tanks, OK so they didnt think of everything .still badass

DaStang
09-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Does anybody know if this monstrous controller could be used in any other games (sequels or otherwise)?

That may make the purchase more reasonable (Hardware upgrade rather than an Accessory).

And yes, in Canada it would cost us $330.00 for the 200 US$ pricetag.
If the controller is only good for Steel Batallion, that would be a poor choice, if youcan use it with other games, well that may open up the door for possibilties.

:rolleyes:

Premium Xbox
09-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by DaStang
Does anybody know if this monstrous controller could be used in any other games (sequels or otherwise)?

I was watching something on TechTV on the show 'Extended Play' and they had someone from Capcom talking about the game and said that it won't work with other games yet, but they would like to have a sequel or another game like it to use the controller. Have to wait and see.

I have this bad boy on pre-order at work. Got $170 put down on it.

BoneyTee73
09-23-2002, 08:03 PM
I just Came from Dallas @ a video game convention there for gamestore managers. I saw and playedSTEEL BATALLION. It will be online, and it has been stated that other companies are building games for the controller. The game is FREAKIN awesome. Price has been dropped too $199. Game is hard, long and WILL be ONLINE. The game looks AWESOME and Plays just as well. Don't let this one pass you by. You can always reserve it @ software etc., Gamestop, or Funcoland for $50 bucks down, and pay installments ($5 here, $10 here, until it gets paid off)

OUberLord
09-23-2002, 08:14 PM
Every source Ive seen has said that Steel Battalion will in fact be a Xbox Live title, and I think its been said it will be a system link title.

hansard1985
09-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Team X Box have some new information about the upcoming title from Capcom for X-Box, Steel Batallion. Among other things, they have some very interesting pictures of the special 40 button controller that will be available specifically for this title. In this game, players take control of a mech warrior called Vertical Tank. Along with the 40 buttons, the players can use two different joysticks and three control pedals. Capcom have also announced that this title will be an X-Box LIVE title, meaning you will be able to use all this controlling goodness against other people who have nothing better to spend their money on. Hooray!