PDA

View Full Version : The Best Selling Football game of August was...

wweomaniac
09-23-2002, 04:56 PM
GameDaily evaluated some NPD August stats and here's what they got: 14% of all games sold in August were Madden NFL titles on various systems. Overall the title had estimated sales of more than 1.1 million units - 930.000 copies for PS2, 146.000 for Xbox, 44.000 for GC, 36.000 for PC and 10.000 for GBA. It was the best selling title of August on Sony's and Microsoft's systems; Mario Sunshine was the best selling GC title with about 350.000 copies sold (in August). Sega sold around 144,303 copies of NFL2K3 for PS2 (77,585), Xbox (59,414)and GC (7,304).
Don't shoot the messenger. Madden sales for XBox more then doubling NFL 2k3 sales.

They didn't even mention the Fever 2003 sales :P

ADDED:

Our NPD figures released yesterday showed Madden NFL 2003 had a higher spot on the charts than Sega’s NFL 2K3. This morning, in an article at Bloomberg, it was reported that shares in Sega dropped 9.1 percent as Electronic Arts managed to sell eight times more NFL games than Sega. According to Jay Defibaugh, an analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston Securities (Japan), Sega sold 144,000 units of NFL 2K3 in North America during the month of August, while EA pushed 1.16 million units of Madden NFL 2003.

jdu123
09-23-2002, 05:01 PM
i cant wait till madden gets released in aus !! wusap wwe

xboxed79
09-23-2002, 07:22 PM
i was not expecting to see Madden at the top. With the lack of online play and the much improved 2k3, i thought that sega was going to hold the crown for the 2003. Granted i have played both and i really wish madden was going live because it is a better game, but 2k3 going live is my deciding factor.
do you guys think that this says something about the number of users going live?

TIME
09-23-2002, 07:22 PM
It's all about name recognition. I was in the check out line at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago and the guy in front of me was buying Madden for Xbox. I begged him to reconsider and choose NFL2K3 or Fever 2003. I pointed out the online possibilities of those two over Madden. All he could say is, "Madden rulz dude". :rolleyes:

CrazyCougar
09-23-2002, 07:24 PM
I bought Madden too.:D

xboxed79
09-23-2002, 07:28 PM
dont get me wrong, i have bought madden every year for the last 10 years, it is by far a great title. I have yet to purchase it this year because of the abundance of great titles that have come out the last month and that are coming out and because it is not going live. i think by launch of live, those numbers will be closer together.

XslayerX
09-23-2002, 07:30 PM
ITs sad huh? The world of footbll gaming is getting owned by a fat ass old guy with an annoying voice and where every idiot gamer has to buy madden cause there thinking its the best there is.

no offence to anyone that bout the xbox one ;)

but the 930,000 that bought it for PS2, forget you :) :(

Veno
09-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by XslayerX
ITs sad huh? The world of footbll gaming is getting owned by a fat ass old guy with an annoying voice and where every idiot gamer has to buy madden cause there thinking its the best there is.

but the 930,000 that bought it for PS2, forget you :) :(

fat ass old guy with an annoying voice? you little ****got nerd, shut hte f*ck up and get a life.

wweomaniac
09-23-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by XslayerX

but the 930,000 that bought it for PS2, forget you :) :( I quite frankly think that Madden is just as good as NFL 2k3. Or should I say... NFL 2k3 is just as good as Madden.

What did you think the best football game was?

I hope not Fever.

Madden is a beautiful choice if you don't consider XBox Live. Its a recognized franchise and has been around perfecting itself for years.

XslayerX
09-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Veno

fat ass old guy with an annoying voice? you little ****got nerd, shut hte f*ck up and get a life.

hahaahaha some people take things so seriously. Nerd? I wish. Get a life? Got one buddy, I play football, wrestle, got my friends to hang out with, and my girl. Someone sounds like they need to get some freaking help, go get laid, if you can.

Highlite23
09-23-2002, 09:41 PM
Don't meen to but into this MATURE debate, but............Keep in mind PS2 does have that huge unit base, as much as we XBOX fans may hate it, it's still true. So if you go with percentages the PS2 and Madden are going to be on top.

I agree with the comment made about waiting for XBL has some validity IMO.

Personally i have been a @k fan since it first came out. I hate to say it, but Fever is really the only one of the 3 i was really disapointed in.

peejay2288
09-23-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by xboxed79
i was not expecting to see Madden at the top. With the lack of online play and the much improved 2k3, i thought that sega was going to hold the crown for the 2003. Granted i have played both and i really wish madden was going live because it is a better game, but 2k3 going live is my deciding factor.
do you guys think that this says something about the number of users going live?

Yes, but only true gamers like you and myself know that NFL 2K3 is better. I still have countless freinds that claim NFL 2K3 "sucks." They will feel stupid playing Madden on PS2 with the loads of lag. And all the people that got it for Xbox would probably get depressed about no online play and commit suicide.

borka105
09-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Bought all 3. PLayed all 3.

FEVER IS STILL IN MY XBOX :)

both madden and 2k3 have severe flaws. Infact, i think 2k3 shouldn't have even come out. It has some of the biggest gameplay flaws, I have ever seen.

-Borka105

Koolice98
09-24-2002, 03:10 PM
theres something else thats weird in the post. gamecube doesn't look like its selling anything, except for mario, look at the numbers 50,000 nfl2k3 for xbox, 7,000 for GC, wow thats staggering. i understand why nintendo is going 3rd party. Theres also those rumors that nintendo and sega might both go 2nd party. i know nintendo doesn't really like sony, and sega is putting out their best games on xbox. wouldn't that be great? do you think xbox would own then? having Rare, Nintendo, and Sega and developers for xbox only. that would be crazy. then all they would need was EA and they would be set.

CrazyCougar
09-24-2002, 03:40 PM
Fever is a severe fault period in being a football game...LOL! Madden and 2k3 are played regularly on my Xbox. Yes I said Madden too, because it is a good game and always will be. But I like 2k3 just as much.

xboxed79
09-24-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by peejay2288

Yes, but only true gamers like you and myself know that NFL 2K3 is better. I still have countless freinds that claim NFL 2K3 "sucks." They will feel stupid playing Madden on PS2 with the loads of lag. And all the people that got it for Xbox would probably get depressed about no online play and commit suicide.

Thank You. And you are correct, 2k3 is a better game this year. Madden is right behind it though. I cant see myself buying both though because ill b playing 2k3 live all the time.
I dont know. To each his own right, im not going to downplay one because i have another and i will always give madden its respect.

Ninja Scroll
09-25-2002, 10:49 AM
highlite is right about da installed based on PoS2, and im my opinion (which btw means everything here! :D ) da sales dont make the better game.
Madden is still number 1 cause of EA's marketing gimmick and has most of America brainwashed to think this game is actually any better then it's previous incarnations even though they are all rehashes except for a couple tweaks just to confuse peeps into thinking this 2002 version is something new or something.:rolleyes:

NFL 2K series has owned Madden ever since it debuted back on 9/9/99 But it's all gravy doe, cause year by year Sega is inching closer and closer to becoming da football game for da mainstream casual gamer.
:cool:

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!

wweomaniac
09-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
highlite is right about da installed based on PoS2, and im my opinion (which btw means everything here! :D ) da sales dont make the better game.
Madden is still number 1 cause of EA's marketing gimmick and has most of America brainwashed to think this game is actually any better then it's previous incarnations even though they are all rehashes except for a couple tweaks just to confuse peeps into thinking this 2002 version is something new or something.:rolleyes:

NFL 2K series has owned Madden ever since it debuted back on 9/9/99 But it's all gravy doe, cause year by year Sega is inching closer and closer to becoming da football game for da mainstream casual gamer.
:cool:

SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!! Madden sold more on XBox also. I think that there is a reason why Madden is better than Sega 2k series. It just is. Of course 2k1 was the most inovative football game ever, but madden 2002 climbed back up and outperformed it in 2002 and was stiff comp in 2001. 2k2 graphics were outdated, and the game was similar to its predesecor. 2k series will always have an advantage over the faces of Madden though.

also... just found this:

Our NPD figures released yesterday showed Madden NFL 2003 had a higher spot on the charts than Sega’s NFL 2K3. This morning, in an article at Bloomberg, it was reported that shares in Sega dropped 9.1 percent as Electronic Arts managed to sell eight times more NFL games than Sega. According to Jay Defibaugh, an analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston Securities (Japan), Sega sold 144,000 units of NFL 2K3 in North America during the month of August, while EA pushed 1.16 million units of Madden NFL 2003.
Read more by clicking the link above.

Jay Slay
09-26-2002, 05:18 AM
Out of the top 20 selling games
PS2 had 11, XBOX had 4, and Cube only one(Mario), the rest went to psx and GBA.

I feel sorry for Nintendo's cube, cause it aint sellin jack!