PDA

View Full Version : Things aren't looking good for Xbox.

Premium Xbox
09-23-2002, 08:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/fun.games/09/23/xbox.test.reut/index.html

I just found that on CNN, of course. Now, I am not saying it's dead yet, but it's death is closing in. Pushing back games, and not a big section for Xbox Only games. If thing's keep going this way, the Xbox will be gone this time next year.

Zion
09-23-2002, 08:46 PM
You're uhhh...pretty darned clueless, aren't you?

Come back when you get some sense. :rolleyes:

wweomaniac
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
I think he's got a good point. After this XMas.. if not a lot more people buy the XBox... then MS will have to wait a whole year before another big selling season occurs. By that time, PS2s and GCNs may sell a lot more.

XMas season could sell more than 1.5 M Xboxs. Thats almost more then after 3 months.

Not to worry... I think that MSG2 S and XBox Live should attract some more gamers. Along with Unreal Championship. Witht he publicity of Unreal 2... Unreal Championship could be a good seller.

Xbox does need a lot more exclusive games. Right now there are only 4. And of those 4, only 2 are popular.

cmon... who wants bloodwake? azurik? fever? not ps2 gamers. Xbox has to make games that will steal ps2 gamers.

wweomaniac
09-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Halo
Rallisport Challenge
DOA 3 (not really but it attracts a lot of gamers)
Dead to Rights
Sega GT 2002
Shenmue II October 29, 2002
Unreal Championship October 30, 2002
Brute Force DELAYED
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance November 5, 2002
Tom Clancy's: Splinter Cell November 12, 2002
DOOM III Q2 2003
Halo 2 Q4 2003
Project Gotham Racing 2 Q1 2004
Half Life: Counterstrike N/A
Project Ego N/A

these are the good exclusives of the xbox.

pounder
09-23-2002, 09:19 PM
im sorry but I agree..i love the xbox, but they sure aren't giving me a reason to stick up for them..they push all their games back, and hack and slash the rest of them..they take all the good out of games..and leave us with a big steaming pile of crap..happens with every game..i really wish they'd pull up their socks and give sony a run for their money, but right now they're looking pretty ridiculous in this console race..i'll continue to play and love the xbox, but i don't doubt people for getting upset..look at what keeps happening..everyone always says.."i'd rather they finish a game and push it back so it doesnt suck" and I agree, but make the game good..it still comes out with 100 bugs, and horrible gameplay..and if your going to advertise a game to be out a certain date..make it a realistic claim..90% of games are pushed back..you don't sell products by making a mockery of yourself..theres no advertising for the xbox on anything..they pump it im japan, and let it slide in North america..im hoping they fire a few people at M$ and start making ps2 and GC people jealous..but thats just my opinion..i would never own any other console..

SlightlySycho
09-23-2002, 09:25 PM
Pfff. CNN knows $#!+ less about the video gaming industry. The PS2/XBox race is close. Anybody could crunch numbers and say one side or the other won't be around next year. Microsoft is just the bigger name, and that's the only reason why CNN said they're losing; doom and gloom sells news.

Zion
09-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Premium Xbox
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/fun.games/09/23/xbox.test.reut/index.html

I just found that on CNN, of course. Now, I am not saying it's dead yet, but it's death is closing in. Pushing back games, and not a big section for Xbox Only games. If thing's keep going this way, the Xbox will be gone this time next year.

Obviously written by a kid who is:

A) A Microsoft hater because he thinks it's the 'cool' thing to do.

B) A PS2 fanboy who's afraid of the inevitable....Xbox WILL take over. It won't ask, it'll just take.

XslayerX
09-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Zion

Obviously written by a kid who is:

A) A Microsoft hater because he thinks it's the 'cool' thing to do.

B) A PS2 fanboy who's afraid of the inevitable....Xbox WILL take over. It won't ask, it'll just take.

Come on, you know some of that is true though. Im one of the biggest Xbox fans, and I even agree with it. Xbox just aint looking that good in sales, but I will still love my box no matter what tho.

Fruzed
09-23-2002, 10:41 PM
I agree with pounder who brings up some very good points:

.."i'd rather they finish a game and push it back so it doesnt suck" and I agree, but make the game good..it still comes out with 100 bugs, and horrible gameplay

I can think of one perfect example, bloodwake. Microsoft gave
plently of media attention to bloodwake. It had plently of potential
to be a great game. The game engine had obviously been worked
on pretty well (the physics of the game were quite realistic) but
it seems that's where the game ends. Everything else is just crap.
Finish the games! If they took a little more time adding features,
options and better gameplay, the game could've been a classic.
Instead, it seems they got to a point and said, "Good enough".
That is not how you make original console-specific software that
draws attention.

What always counts is the quality of games, not quantity. A good
example is PS2 games. They have a ton, but most are crap. I was
kind of hoping Xbox wouldn't be sucked into that trend but its
starting to look that way as most people care about an abundance
of games.

I love my Xbox, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I would just like
to see Microsoft handle this market differently. They're trying to be
like Nintendo and Sony and are losing. Having Brute Force pushed
back is a very good sign. I may be the only one happy about it
but it's a good sign that they are trying to avoid another bloodwake.

Cheers!

sinizuh
09-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Halo had bugs... but it still sold 1 million copies in 3 months.

btw, what does CNN know about games? :rolleyes:

Fruzed
09-23-2002, 11:21 PM
True, Halo did have bugs. No piece of software is without bugs.
It's the games that have obviously been shipped before they
could reach a certain level of gameplay that are the most frustrating.

Bungie had put extra work in Halo, that's what makes it great (I
was playing Marathon on the Mac a long time ago, they were and
still are one of the great game developers). What Xbox needs is
more developers like Bungie who go the extra step and make a
good game great. Yes of course Halo has bugs and some features
I don't like, but all software reaches a point where you have to
ship it. :cool:

Xbox needs another Halo, then we'll be set.

CNN does have number crunchers, but that's all I'll take from any
comments from CNN... Numbers aren't everything.

Cheers!

Dre
09-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Fruzed
What Xbox needs is more developers like Bungie who go the extra step and make a good game great. Yes of course Halo has bugs and some features I don't like, but all software reaches a point where you have to ship it. :cool:

Well, they just bought Rare which is very good. Plenty of promising "Halo's" are on the way... we just have to wait a bit longer unfortunately :(

CrazyCougar
09-23-2002, 11:56 PM
Guys, M$ is going to all they can to not let the Xbox fail, BUT they will also be very quick to let it go if its going to fail. If M$ doesn't get their act together quickly, Xbox WILL turn into a Dreamcast. Very unfortunate but very true.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-24-2002, 04:44 AM
Please no more Doom and Gloom about the xbox......let's just wait and see how the box does on Xmas.........then we should get a preety good idea about well the box is doing. My two cents

AmpedRider
09-24-2002, 07:57 AM
right now m$ couldnt give a s**t about the other consoles because all they are worrying about is releasing xbox live. to them xbox live will b like the thing that gets everyone hooked on the box.

DOOM
09-24-2002, 08:15 AM
MOD'S!
PLEASE GET RID OF THIS DuMbArSe Thread!
Thanks...:)

CrazyCougar
09-24-2002, 10:38 AM
This is called Denial....LOL!

Slacker
09-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Another pathetic thread,

Okay first Off if MS does drop Xbox then it's plans for Homestation would have to be scrapped and the whole "in your living room" battle plan would have to be scrapped and Home products has been MS's goal ever since Ultimate TV , they will not give up, Doesn't anyone remeber that MS is going to subsidize people for Broadband , that means he pays half you pay half making BB cheap to the masses, so Money isn't an Issue, Bill wants in your Livingroom , and he didn't create the worlds Largest Corporation with a value of over 300 billion dollars by being stupid he is like the terminator when it comes to buisness

all this Doom and gloom crap is pathetic , it took PS1 two years to even get a good following and it was competing against SNES!!! so its gonna take a littel while for Xbox to get there also , and its only been a year , if you think Xbox is gonna go down like DC then sell your Xbox and get a PS2 and stop crying

J Dub
09-24-2002, 11:04 AM
What the hell?! No, don't sell your XBox! It is the lean mean gaming machine. It r0xx0rz j00r b0xx0rz! It is l33t beyond b33lief!

LOL, but seriously. This does worry my slightly. A lot of places seem to be running this story on the net. It's all speculation about what MS is going to do about the money loss though. So really they know absolutely nothing about what's happening. They just know that MS is losing money and they are quick to jump to conclusions.

Whisper
09-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Bill Gates knows what he is doing. See that name at the top of the Forbes 400? Yeah. He has to be doing something right.

OZXboxAddict
09-25-2002, 12:22 AM
Interesting article summarising a lot of the exclusives etc (for those that said there were hardly any!??)

(Ref: XboxGamers.com Article (http://www.xboxgamers.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1032643043,86955,) )

Xbox To Take Over The Games Industry?
-=G=- Posted on September 21, 2002

In terms of sales, the PS2 is pretty much untouchable at the minute but in terms of games, Xbox is pretty much at the top of the console gaming family tree.

At the start, critics yelled that the xbox will not be recieved well in Japan and that it will not have much japanese developer support. OK, they got the first one right but poor sales will not last forever, we have a feeling that this Christmas, the Japanese will warm to Xbox. As for Japanese developer support, where do we start?

Well, first of all there are almost 50 Japanese developers working on online titles for Xbox Live. Then you have also got some of the biggest Japanese developers in the world confirming massive xbox exclusives almost every week. Namco are in full swing on the xbox wagon with such titles as Dead To Rights and Breakdown being Xbox Exclusive. They join the likes of Tecmo who, by the end of 2003, will have released no less than 4 Xbox Exclusives. Not wanting to be left out, Capcom are also supporting the Xbox with one of the biggest selling survival horror franchises, Dino Crisis 3 and, recently, one of the biggest selling titles in Japan, Steel Batillion being Xbox Exclusive. Lets not forget the almighty Sega! Sega are producing some of their biggest franchises completely exclusive to Xbox, such as Panzer Dragoon, House Of The Dead, Sega GT, SpikeOut, Crazy Taxi and many, many more.

But thats not all, Microsoft have realised that Japan isnt the only teritory that is completely overflowing with talented developers! Europe is a continent that often gets overlooked, even though it has produced the most well-known videogames character in history and created some of the biggest selling games in the world.

With development studios such as the almighty Lionhead already confirming 2 astounding exclusives and Microsoft now officially buying Rare, the xbox has some major titles coming from Europe. Xbox Exclusives from Europe come in the form of Perfect Dark 0, Project Ego, B.C, Quantum Redshift, Rallisport Challenge 2, Project Gotham 2 and so much more, we can hardly contain our excitement!

Not happy with just Japanese and European developers, Microsoft is also focusing on American developers to develop some incredably promising Xbox Exclusives. Such as, Bioware who are creating Star Wars: KOTOR and another exclusive RPG, Digital Extremes who are developing Unreal Championship and confirmed in this interview that they were also developing another Xbox Exclusive. How could we forget Bungie, who developed the astounding Halo and are currently at least 2 xbox exclusives, one of which is probably the most wanted sequel to a videogame ever, Halo 2.

With over 300 titles in development for the Xbox, the biggest names from all teritories supporting Xbox, the most advanced and powerful console ever and roughly the same price as the other consoles, what is your excuse for not owning an Xbox?

In the meantime, if you liked our news story, please support the site by clicking here - just one click and youve done your bit for the xbox community - its THAT easy - honest!

Doesn't seem to me that Xbox is going to fail, someone made a good point that people have to write news to make money this CNN article is a good example - don't know how many times since release I've heard "Xbox is going to fail" think they could come up with something new!

Pak4182
09-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
Halo
Rallisport Challenge
DOA 3 (not really but it attracts a lot of gamers)
Dead to Rights
Sega GT 2002
Shenmue II October 29, 2002
Unreal Championship October 30, 2002
Brute Force DELAYED
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance November 5, 2002
Tom Clancy's: Splinter Cell November 12, 2002
DOOM III Q2 2003
Halo 2 Q4 2003
Project Gotham Racing 2 Q1 2004
Half Life: Counterstrike N/A
Project Ego N/A

these are the good exclusives of the xbox.

Well.. most of them are for PC too. Btu MGS2 is on PS2. and IMO.. as of right now I wish I bought a Gamecube.. They have better games than XBOX does. It will most likely change before both systems die. If XBOX had no Halo.. well..

plpkb
09-25-2002, 05:17 PM
Nintendo and MS are neck and neck. So MS is doing fine.

[oXo]
09-25-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
Bill wants in your Livingroom , and he didn't create the worlds Largest Corporation with a value of over 300 billion dollars by being stupid he is like the terminator when it comes to buisness

*LOL* ROTFLMAO :D:D:D:D HAHAHAHA

Good stuff indeed :D ...still laughing here

JYNX
09-25-2002, 05:42 PM
xbox will stay strong due to the fact of xbox live and kik ass games that are coming out this holiday season. oh ye and iforgot about a little game that might be good. i forgot the name..... no wait i got it HALO2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
-JYNX-:cool: :eek:

CharlieHustle
09-25-2002, 10:04 PM
Lets be for real. You guys really think that MS will shell out 325 mil. to buy rare for just this xmas season?? Knowing that rare will not release a game for this xmas season. MS is not tryin to build a superbowl team for this season, they are tryin to build a dynasty. MS is not lookin at this holiday season to surpass the ps2, of course they want their sales especially with xbox live, but, they are lookin past this holiday season. MS is tryin to build a foundation, for the long run, they know that they will not outsell the ps2 this holiday season(maybe as far as software because the ps2 had a year plus head start on them), but if they do what they did like last year, and grab a percentage of the market, then they will be happy with that. It is sad to say, but they have a strategy to monopolize the gaming industry(it will take about 10 years), if all else fails, they will end up splittin the market with sony, which is not bad either. I think that they have a great idea for the future, with grabbing top developers, and LIVE as their foundationfor the future. But we all know that the ps2 is a household name now, for about 2 years. You think that sony can put out an OS for computers that can top Windows in a year span????

JYNX
09-25-2002, 10:07 PM
no
-JYNX-:cool: :eek:

dbatey
09-25-2002, 11:20 PM
MS is fine and will be for a while. Netscape found out the hard way, So did Wordperfect. and so will sony

Squidpie
09-26-2002, 05:53 AM
In my opinion... xbox is here to stay... it rocks !!!!!

pounder
09-26-2002, 12:08 PM
ahhh my eyes..what the hell is up with your sig!!!...noooooO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mods..MODS MODS help!!!!!!!! :confused:

Leviathon
09-26-2002, 01:49 PM
I am new to the XBOX world. I have only owned one for a little over a month. Of course I do own HALO. Because of friends that keep up in the hardware and software worlds, I have an Xbox instead of a PS2. Why?

Before the launch of the XBX Gates said that he is willing to lose money on the xbx, in order to make money down the road. I don't think that he is totally concerned about making money. He knows that he has the better product and when people educate themselves and know what is better, they will buy the better product.

Bill Gates is also investing close to 2-3 Billion Dollars on XBX live, the future of gaming, and M$ knows it. He is also contracting out the building of the xbx to ACER, the guys who build computers, so that microsoft doesn't take as big of a hit, and they can concentrate their efforts on more important items.

The man knows what he is doing. That is why he built the xbx the way he did. Programmers have an easier time programming games to the xbx than to the PS2 or the GC. We are going to have great games, great experience, great fun.

PS2 has been out a year longer with a bigger fan support. It took me close to two years before buying a PS1, glad I did. But glad that I waited and bought the box. Give M$ the same amount of time.

What is the comparison between PS1 first launch vs Nintendo. Anybody got the answer?

Squidpie
09-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Are you referring to my sig?... so I guess its ok for the guys to have sexy female half naked pics in their sigs but not a girl...sounds like discrimination to me.

pounder
09-26-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Squidpie
Are you referring to my sig?... so I guess its ok for the guys to have sexy female half naked pics in their sigs but not a girl...sounds like discrimination to me.

do i have anything of the sort inmy sig? no..so you better get your facts straight before you start spouting out such accusations..

and some dudes sausage outline is not acceptable..maybe I should have a femal camel toe in my sig? cus you know they would ask me to take it down..some things are ok..some are not..thats disgusting..

DZNUTZ
09-26-2002, 03:40 PM
my 1st impression is that shes doing it just to make waves in the whole whats fair/unfair pool.:rolleyes:

Goku_69
09-26-2002, 03:52 PM
First off that is the grossest sig in the history of XBA! :(
secondly the only way the xbox will fail is if we stop buying games. So when live comes out and everyone emptys there wallets then we will finally see how good xbox really is.:cool:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-26-2002, 04:11 PM
You guys can't have it both ways....if guys can have pics of girls in their sig..then girls can have guys in their sigs as well......That's what makes this country so great!!! Squidpie, you should put Bill Gates head on one of those guys...now that would be funny!!!
:D

DZNUTZ
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
You guys can't have it both ways....if guys can have pics of girls in their sig..then girls can have guys in their sigs as well......That's what makes this country so great!!! Squidpie, you should put Bill Gates head on one of those guys...now that would be funny!!!
:D

played the skin flute @ band camp eh dr. beef lover?

Goku_69
09-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

LMAO.....is it true?:confused:

pounder
09-26-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

lol anyone not bothered by that sig must like the tube steak..

Squidpie
09-26-2002, 05:01 PM
Pounder....I never said that you personally had such a pic in your sig... my statement was directed to the guys that do have those kind of pics in their sigs and not the ones that don't... that should have been a no brainer.... as for the sausage comment.... well its a little hard to have a pic of a guy in thongs that doesn't show some kind of a bulge... if you'd like to put on a pair and take me a bulgeless male thong pic then I would be happy to add it to my sig.....the guys I have seen have large breast implanted pics of females in their sigs and I said nothing about that....and I do not see the outline of the male genitals in that pic I used.. just a bulge.... you must have looked at the pic much much closer than I did.

Evil Dr. Beefy... thanx for pointing out the obvious... that if its ok for the guys then its ok for the gals.... and that thing about Bill Gates... I had thought about it...lol... great minds think alike !

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-26-2002, 05:49 PM
Hey now....sorry guys haven't joined the army of darkness just yet..My manhood card is still valid (thank you very much) In fact i should sent her my pics, (i have the body of a greek god) But guys..just leave everybody sigs alone......If it was a guy posting those pick then i would be worried

pounder
09-26-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Squidpie
Pounder....I never said that you personally had such a pic in your sig... my statement was directed to the guys that do have those kind of pics in their sigs and not the ones that don't... that should have been a no brainer.... as for the sausage comment.... well its a little hard to have a pic of a guy in thongs that doesn't show some kind of a bulge... if you'd like to put on a pair and take me a bulgeless male thong pic then I would be happy to add it to my sig.....the guys I have seen have large breast implanted pics of females in their sigs and I said nothing about that....and I do not see the outline of the male genitals in that pic I used.. just a bulge.... you must have looked at the pic much much closer than I did.

Evil Dr. Beefy... thanx for pointing out the obvious... that if its ok for the guys then its ok for the gals.... and that thing about Bill Gates... I had thought about it...lol... great minds think alike !

well you may not have looked at it..but i was forced to..thats plain out nasty..justify it if you will, but nasty is what that was..thank god they made you take it off..

robnyack
09-26-2002, 08:52 PM
fer cryin' out loud, guys, xbox ain't going anywhere but UP! Xbox LIVE is a fantastic gaming experience. If you don't have it yet, trust me, it's gonna be da bomb! PS2 fan boys have absolutely NOTHING to compare to XBL...nothing.

And the games are pouring out for the next several months.

MS are not idiots...they have always known the REAL war would begin with xbox2 vs ps3. xbox1 was just drawing the battle lines.

I know what side I am on.....you crybabies and moaners better decide too.

Slacker
09-26-2002, 08:56 PM
I think anyone who made *** jokes about the sig should step out of the closet, we all know why it offended you, because it turned you on, and your not willing to admit your true sexaulity

and did they really make her take it down?? if they did XBA is screwed up and must be run by kids

japes1
09-26-2002, 09:48 PM
I think the Xbox is the greatest system since the N64.

Dre
09-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Slacker
I think anyone who made *** jokes about the sig should step out of the closet, we all know why it offended you, because it turned you on, and your not willing to admit your true sexaulity

and did they really make her take it down?? if they did XBA is screwed up and must be run by kids

Although I didn't enjoy the pic, I agree. Its discrimination plain and simple.

Squidpie
09-26-2002, 10:34 PM
Thanx Dre and Slacker... maneatingcow removed my sig.... but he did say that I also have the right to report any that I find offensive and they will also be removed.. so that is what I did... I reported all that I fount that exploit women in any way... I am very angry.. not so much because mine was removed... I made it to be funny because of all the female ones I've seen here... but I am mad because mine would be removed and theirs were not even complained about... but talking to several guys here I have heard that these types of sigs cause problems when they are wanting to go to the forums while at work or at home as in their Mom or someone coming in and thinking they are at some porn site....lets face it... with that kind of thing it really does make it not look like a serious gamer forum at all....I did mine to be funny and never realized it would cause such a stir.

Slacker
09-27-2002, 12:06 AM
It was funny, I was laughing hard , but I didn't know you did it as a joke at first,now i know you did, you gotta be one the coolest girls on the planet , seriuosly that rocked,

X-Ray
09-27-2002, 12:14 AM
Summary of Article:

Microsoft really wants a succesful holiday season.

Response:

So do Sony, Nintendo, Dell, Motorola, Bob's Gift Company, North Pole Christmas Tree Company, Wal-Mart, etc.

Doesn't really mean too much at all.:rolleyes:

DJSteel
09-27-2002, 12:23 AM
First of all Xbox does have some crummy games, but all around their ratio bad:good is around 1:5, while PS2 is around 1:3(floods the market) and Gamecube is around 1:1(because they don't release much).

Second of all, if any of u took a look at Xbox's planned lineup, u can see that the future is bright, and by the way they signed RARE( Goldeneye, Perfect Dark) in addition to making tons of exclusive games. Another bonus is their online gaming is so much better than PS2, it's unreal... At least is will be late October :). Be Patient

melon
09-27-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
Please no more Doom and Gloom about the xbox......let's just wait and see how the box does on Xmas.........then we should get a preety good idea about well the box is doing. My two cents

That's a good way to end this thread..he's right..let's just wait and see...why bother worrying about it now. IF Xbox has a crappy Holiday Season, then we will know. But it has awesome games coming out, we all know that..