PDA

View Full Version : Attention all knuckleheads

eceon
09-23-2002, 09:07 PM
just saw this...

we saw this coming. read on...

Microsoft changes Xbox hardware

Microsoft has changed the internal configuration of the Xbox, a move intended to thwart hackers and lower manufacturing costs.

Word of the changes began spreading on sites devoted Xbox hacking, with some buyers of recently manufactured Xbox units complaining that mod chips designed for the original console won't work now. Microsoft Xbox spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell confirmed that the company had made minor changes to the console's configuration as part of ongoing efforts to "increase security and reduce overall costs."

O'Donnell declined to specify the specific changes but said they include measures intended to boost security. "They (Microsoft's Xbox hardware team) know the hacker stuff that's out there, and they're always trying to increase security," she said.

Contract manufacturer Flextronics' Xbox assembly plant in China has switched to the new configuration, and the Guadalajara, Mexico, plant that supplies Xbox units for North American consumption will make the change soon, O'Donnell said.

The newly configured units were first spotted in Australia, where Xbox hackers spotted slight changes to the main circuit board that likely will make it impossible to use current "mod chips"--add-ons that bypass security measures built into the hardware.

Hackers have embraced mod chips as a vehicle for running custom software, legally and illegally copied game discs, and imported games. Microsoft has tried several tactics to discourage such hacks.

GokuX
09-23-2002, 09:21 PM
Yeah this was expected. Someone posted the deal about MS hiring people with game hacking experience to work on new security features that could be implemented into the Xbox hardware.

techie
09-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Sweet! Maybe my 1st Gen Xbox will go back up in price!! ;)

Dre
09-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by techie
Sweet! Maybe my 1st Gen Xbox will go back up in price!! ;)

I'm betting that b4 that happens, we'll be hearing about a hacker that figured a workaround or a modchip that works on both configurations.

techie
09-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Guys, its called sarcasm... :)

eceon
09-23-2002, 11:59 PM
"I'm betting that b4 that happens, we'll be hearing about a hacker that figured a workaround or a modchip that works on both configurations."

hmm. probably, as hackers are always looking for something new to challenge them. but, MS will counter attack this issue one way or another. they always seem to do so...

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-24-2002, 02:09 AM
I had a feeling that Mr Gates would counterattack......Mmm, anybody with more than one first gen Xbox should make a killing on ebay.....just list it with the 3944 bios. Plus there's been more that a few people that screwed up their moddchip install...looking for replacements....I guess that the guy (like myself that only runs emulators, media players and unsigned code...are just out of luck:eek: ) Why doesn't microsoft just buy all the rights to the best emulators and release them on the xbox?

Dre
09-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by techie
Guys, its called sarcasm... :)

Oh ya, that sarcasm's was really really apparent over the internet :)

**did you see my sarcasm?** :D

Whisper
09-24-2002, 11:45 AM
hacking always wins, period. A new configuration is just a road-block. The hackers get around it. Then another road block.

You cant stop the hackers. :cool:

eceon
09-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
hacking always wins, period. A new configuration is just a road-block. The hackers get around it. Then another road block.

You cant stop the hackers. :cool:

wow. spoken like a true non-hacker.

DIGITAL
09-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
Yeah this was expected. Someone posted the deal about MS hiring people with game hacking experience to work on new security features that could be implemented into the Xbox hardware. wow someone actually read the thread i posted awile back,that brings a smile to my face!:)