PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan finally hacked on Xbox!!!

LynxFX
09-25-2002, 01:19 AM
Since Microsoft was so kind to pull out on the 11th hour with giving us progressive dvd playback, the hacking community has finally cracked it. Not only will you get progressive DVD playback but your dash will also be 480p. This is a huge fix for those that are tired of having to keep switching connections because the Xbox only does 480i on the dashboard. (this should be a fix provided by microsoft anyway, an option to turn it on or off)

You do need a modded box of course.

Enable Progressive Scan (http://www.xboxhacker.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d900572520dffff;act=ST;f=9;t=6547)

GokuX
09-25-2002, 02:58 AM
Cool. More potential unlocked. Now this was the hack I'd been anticipating.

MidniteArrow
09-25-2002, 08:32 AM
Thanks LynxFX. You da man.

Ninja Scroll
09-25-2002, 10:36 AM
I aint crazy enough to let anyone crack open my Xbox, but let us know when some nerd can inable import games to be played on Xbox,..then again, they aint got nothing over there we want!:(

MidniteArrow
09-25-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
I aint crazy enough to let anyone crack open my Xbox, but let us know when some nerd can inable import games to be played on Xbox,..then again, they aint got nothing over there we want!:(

Ninja - this is available stock with the modchip:

Modchip Purchase and Info Link (http://www.gamegizmo.com/products.php?sysID=10&pID=73)

Casper
09-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by MidniteArrow

Modchip Purchase and Info Link (http://www.gamegizmo.com/products.php?sysID=10&pID=73)

Dude, thanks, I have been waiting to hear of something that isn't the 18 wires needed....this is sweet. So now I can do this, buy this, with no problems?

Ninja Scroll
09-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by MidniteArrow

Are you getting it Arrow? I linked and they would'nt even give a price.:rolleyes: They think they are slick by saying "call this 800 number" and junk.
Im not sure I wanna modify my Xbox.
Why cant they be like da Dreamcast and create a boot up disc?
That's how I bought, played, & finished Shenmue II from Europe.
Which btw is a classic masterpiece.

And I bought da Bleem disc for MGS on DC.

Ninja Scroll
09-25-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by casper

Dude, thanks, I have been waiting to hear of something that isn't the 18 wires needed....this is sweet. So now I can do this, buy this, with no problems?

You better do some research on it before jumping into something you know nothing about casper.
Just trying to look out for you so you wont come posting in here tomorrow or whenever crying about your Xbox console is broke or something.;)

but good find indeed by Arrow, bought time he did something other than Idolize ME!:D :cool: :D

Casper
09-25-2002, 10:57 AM

Are you getting it Arrow? I linked and they would'nt even give a price.:rolleyes: They think they are slick by saying "call this 800 number" and junk.
Im not sure I wanna modify my Xbox.
Why cant they be like da Dreamcast and create a boot up disc?
That's how I bought, played, & finished Shenmue II from Europe.
Which btw is a classic masterpiece.

Well, the DC's are now being used worldwide as a hacking utensil into corporate networks :( Sucks, cuz now I have to watch out for that. Anyways...dopey, check out where it says "Click here to select your order quantity" on the right of the screen...man, I told you about all that whacking would make u go blind :rolleyes:

MidniteArrow
09-25-2002, 11:08 AM
Wow! I made a post and got no grief!

Yeah, I'll probably mod eventually, just so I can get the 480p dash. Unless M$ gets off their ass and releases an official patch. My TV won't do 480i and 720p on the same connector. I've got a local friend that's big into hardware. This freak makes his own controllers with programmable chips because the folks at MadCatz aren't smart enough for him. I'll make him do it if I get one and let you guys know my degree of success.

Casper's right about it showing price when you select quantity. A quantity of 1 costs $49. It's actually more than I'd suspected, but who cares when you're blowing $7k on the A/V setup, right?

That's all for now, I guess I'll just go back to drooling over my Ninja pin-up from my heroin addict cross dressers mag... :D

Hugh_Jass
09-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Do you already install a mod chip, Lynxfx?

Snoopy7548
09-25-2002, 04:30 PM
if you dont wanna solder anything, there is a no solder modchip. it connects using precision spring loaded contacts or whatever. go to www.easybuy2000.com and its called the Matrix:D

LynxFX
09-25-2002, 04:32 PM
No I haven't modded my xbox yet. I'm waiting to see what happens with Live first. But if this mod works along with region free coding then I would be inclined to buy a second xbox just for a progressive scan region free dvd player. This would be great if the xbox drops to $150. :D

I'm also really curious to see if anyone figures out how to turn the Xbox into a linedoubler like was being discussed on that forum. Should be some interesting stuff coming out.

MS really should release a patch to upgrade the dashboard though.

GokuX
09-25-2002, 06:02 PM

I bought the Gran Tourismo 2 disk. Bleem DC was a good thing. Too bad..

stang46
09-25-2002, 07:11 PM
This is pretty cool news, the only thing that sucks about it is the Xbox is a pretty crappy DVD player. The picture quality of the Xbox DVD player on my Toshiba widescreen HDTV is nothing compared to my Panasonic RP62 unit. The xbox DVD player also suffers from the 'chroma' bug found a a few of the dvd decoding chips. It is easily noticable in scenes with alot of red and gets annoying quick.

Ninja Scroll
09-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by GokuX

I bought the Gran Tourismo 2 disk. Bleem DC was a good thing. Too bad..

You mean too bad Sony's lawyers ran Bleem outta business in da court of law. How was da Bleem boot-up disc for GT2?
I had no issues with my MGS version on Dreamcast.
Da graphics were vicious!
I was thinking about getting Tekken 3, but passed.
I only wish Bleem lasted long enough to release FF7-9!:(

GokuX
09-25-2002, 10:27 PM

You mean too bad Sony's lawyers ran Bleem outta business in da court of law. How was da Bleem boot-up disc for GT2?
I had no issues with my MGS version on Dreamcast.
Da graphics were vicious!
I was thinking about getting Tekken 3, but passed.
I only wish Bleem lasted long enough to release FF7-9!:(

I remember I had rented GT2 for the PS and played it for an hour cuz I hated how pixelated the graphics were. I just didn't feel like straining my eyes to pick out a turn coming up through the mess of jagged edges on screen. I bought the DC Bleem disk and I was pleasantly surprised to find out I could see things actually coming up in the distance. I ended up playing the game a ton, getting all the cups minus the endurance ones that is. The DC definitely made a world of difference, it was the best $5 I've spent. I had wanted the Tekken 3 one as well but I never saw it anywhere. Now I have no more DC so I guess I'll never know.

Ninja Scroll
09-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by GokuX

I remember I had rented GT2 for the PS and played it for an hour cuz I hated how pixelated the graphics were. I just didn't feel like straining my eyes to pick out a turn coming up through the mess of jagged edges on screen. I bought the DC Bleem disk and I was pleasantly surprised to find out I could see things actually coming up in the distance. I ended up playing the game a ton, getting all the cups minus the endurance ones that is. The DC definitely made a world of difference, it was the best $5 I've spent. I had wanted the Tekken 3 one as well but I never saw it anywhere. Now I have no more DC so I guess I'll never know.

Yo gokuX, your XBA Role Model-Ninja Scroll's got a present for you, peep dis link out http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=212439 it aint take but a sec to find, but I do know everyone in da country is sold out of MGS Dreamcast Bleems.

And your right, da $5.00,...actually MGS's boot-up was $9.99, but it was still da best 10 beans I have eer spend myself!

And to think, no one ever thought in their wildest dreams that PSOne games could be played on a Sega Dreamcast,...and better resolution graphics too!;)

GokuX
09-27-2002, 12:33 AM

Yo gokuX, your XBA Role Model-Ninja Scroll's got a present for you, peep dis link out http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=212439 it aint take but a sec to find, but I do know everyone in da country is sold out of MGS Dreamcast Bleems.

And your right, da $5.00,...actually MGS's boot-up was $9.99, but it was still da best 10 beans I have eer spend myself!

And to think, no one ever thought in their wildest dreams that PSOne games could be played on a Sega Dreamcast,...and better resolution graphics too!;)

It's too bad that they couldn't get more than 1 game per disk. They were originially supposed to emulate more games per disk but I guess they had some compatibility issues. I woulda liked to play Parappa, Toshinden, or Twisted Metal again. Oh well.

Reclaimer
09-27-2002, 02:43 AM
But I suppose that if you perform this mod you have no intention of playing on XBL. Whether or not it's true that the Live network can determine your box to be modded, would it be worth it if it was?

Spaztic
09-27-2002, 12:57 PM
ok I feel stupid I know progressive scan is better but....will there be any noticable difference if I don't own a hdtv?

Explain progressive scan and its benefits!

MidniteArrow
09-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
ok I feel stupid I know progressive scan is better but....will there be any noticable difference if I don't own a hdtv?

Explain progressive scan and its benefits!

That's a big can of worms. Short answer - no. You won't notice a difference. If your TV won't display a progressive picture, then sending it one won't do any good.

A TV screen is made up of pixels, or tiny dots of light. These pixels are arranged on the screen in "lines" of pixels. Most current TVs are interlaced. This means that every time the picture is drawn on the screen, every other line of pixels is drawn, not every line. For example - on the first pass it will draw line 1, 3, 5, 7,... and the next time it will draw 2, 4, 6, 8, .... This allows the same resolution to be drawn with less bandwidth (amount of data being sent to the TV from the Xbox, cable, whatever). Progressive scan means that every time the picture is drawn to the screen, every pixel is drawn.

There are many reasons that progressive scan is better than interlaced and only one reason that interlaced is better - bandwidth. However, bandwidth is not an issue for us, and let's just leave it at that. Progressive scan looks better. If your TV does it, then use it. If your TV doesn't do it, buy one that does! j/k Really though, it is a noticable difference to me.

However, it's not something that will bother you until you've had better. Interlaced is fine until you start gaming on progressive. MacDonald's used to be great, then I started eating at 5 star restaurants - MacDonald's now sucks.

LynxFX
09-27-2002, 03:29 PM
Midnite pretty much said it all but if you want more info about progressive scan just check out the HDTV gaming FAQ in my sig. There is a section on what progressive scan is. But like Midnite said, it only is a difference if you have a digital or HDTV, but with one it is a very significant difference.

Reclaimer 343,
I also will wait to see if Live can detect such mods. I suppose if one uses the Matrix mod or any other solderless mod that can either be removed or shut off(bypassed) then Live won't be a problem. For some it might be worth getting a second Xbox.

Eitherway, the dashboard should have an option to be progressive and this is something MS should release as a patch. I would be ****ed if I had to keep switching my connections just so I can see the dashboard to make changes.