PDA

View Full Version : Question for folks from the UK about Desert Storm

Evil_InsidE
09-26-2002, 01:41 PM
I posted this at teamxbox, but I think I'll get more responses here.

I read that Conflict Desert Storm is the no.1 game over there.

Is it that good?

How much fun is multiplayer?

Is the multiplayer just co-op, or can you go head-to-head?

Can you actually kill Sadam?

I have a feeling this game might sell alot of copies over here in the States - especially if Bush sends troops back to Iraq. I think there are alot of people here how would love to kick some terrorists heads in.

BTW - it's good see Tony Blair backing Bush up.

Xboxed
09-26-2002, 01:58 PM
DEsert storm is pure class and the Co op mode is an absolute riot:D. Many are saying better than Halo on the UK BB's in co-op mode:D

The best thing I can do is link you to the UK forum of a UK magazine and you can read what they are saying and they love it. 9 pages of comments on the game for you to read

http://forum.edge-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=18737&highlight=desert+storm

As for that pathetic OXM USA review for it I thought biased we ahte TTWO for not putting GTA4 on xbox was not going to happen but obviously I was wrong:mad: . OXM USA mag are now in my view a total bunch of *%&%%^ especially when OXM UK gave it an 8.1 review and liked it!!!. Rant over:p

By the way the demo's are nothing like the game as it is massively superior in every way

A typical comment on the game from the official UK Xbox forums. The UK mag that seems to have no axe to grind since SCI publish it and not TTWO

out the window

32 Posts Posted - 23 Sep 2002 : 12:21:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was talking to one of the GAME managers over the weekend and he said that there was problems all over the GAME network because they hadn't ordered enough as a company.

Seems like the game is much more popular than they were expecting. He didn't know when they'd be getting in more stock and just shrugged his shoulders.

Fwiw, it was the same story on PS2 so it doesn't look like GAME were victimising xbox owners - they just screwed up on the ordering in general.

And the game is absolutely fantastic - the further I get into it the more I like it. Partly because I'm now totally comfortable with the controls and partly because my team are now more skilled and are easier to control.

Favourite moment so far was when I left Connors high on a ridge with a huge machine gun to protect my back (with Foley on another ridge sniping away). Suddenly Connors shouts "armour ahead" and a bloody great tank emerges from the sandstorm. Just as I'm running for cover and the tank is getting ready to fire, Connors gets out his LAW rocket and blasts the tank to kingdom come.

I love those guys :)

Evil_InsidE
09-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Looks like you guys really like this title. The squad leadership aspect sounds more complex and deeper than The Thing, which offered some based squad management. I look forward to playing co-op with a buddy of mine.

Hopefully we'll a demo of it on this side of the pond.

BTW - I subscribe to OXM and they are a bunch of clowns. The demo discs have sucked major *ss, and that's the only reason I get it. The mag is pretty bad as well, the only thing I get out of the mag is the Blockbuster rent 1 - get 1 free coupon they have been running for the past 2 issues. Even the cheat code sections is a joke - they are still printing cheats from launch titles.

Evil_InsidE
09-26-2002, 03:00 PM
Another question:
Is CDS 4 player co-op with one console or through system link?

Xboxed
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
On screen definately. Not checked I-link as I have a PSX2:confused:

The game also has a proper widescreen mode so coop on widescreen gives a very good screen area with it split down the middle

Afro Aura
09-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Conflict:Desert Storm is EXCELLENT

I've been playing this game for sometime now and I'm here to give you my opinions about it

I've taken some of this stuff out of my CDS demo post I put in some months ago (or maybe weeks, I'm not sure )

Visuals: are pretty bare at the start but in saying that you do start off in the desert and the only thing you see are mountain sides, goats, a bridge and other items, later missions you be fighting in the towns. The character animation is really smooth and fluid and they are nicely detailed, when you get shot you get red marks over your nice clean uniform

Sound: is pretty good with music that sits well with the environment your in, you hear the enemy talking to himself of singing when you sneak behind him, with the jets flying by and vehicles rolling along all sound real enough you also have the option to put your own music in there if you want

Gameplay: is great when you get into it, when you get your first steath killing you'll be looking for the next as you get a point which at the end of a mission you get experience as you start as a trainee (at the moment my soliders are all veterans), the AI of your soldiers (4) are pretty cool if theres loads of enemys down on your throat there always there to help like throwing grenades in there local area hehehe its fun just seeing them fly in the air with the blast, basically they'll cover you when your setting up you C4 or taken out snipers etc etc

The game is great in multiplay up to 3 other people can help in the missions where they control one of the soldiers you're the leader they can be one of these: sniper, heavy weapons expert and explosive expert in 2 player you control another person and the same for player 2 it's a shame that you can't choose which character you want to play as your second in command

Still back on the multiplay area it's a bit jerky in 4 player but it ain't bad, in 2 player it's smooth (there is a bit of slowdown in there but it won't kill the game at all) and there are 15 missions which I'm sure you'd play again as there are 3 level settings

I'd say it's a thinking man shoot 'em up where you find the right place to deploy you men and what you do with them

it's a great game and heres my Rating: 8.7/10 I've just put up the score as I've completed the game and I'm playing the game again so it does have a replay value as I want those medals the Victoria Cross and the Medal of Honor:D

Xboxed
09-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Afro have you finished it on hard mode yet as the game is totally diferent in hard and you really have to work hard on setting up ambushes, crossfires etc :D:D:D

pounder
09-29-2002, 10:27 AM
I asked this at TXB, but no one has a clue..is this game a first person shooter or not? no one seems to know...please answer..thanx

Duke
09-29-2002, 10:44 AM
3rd person last I heard

pounder
09-29-2002, 11:09 AM
cool thanx..i wonder how split screen is goign to be then..im gonna get it for sure..

Afro Aura
09-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
3rd person last I heard
you can also play it in 1st in aim mode :)

Afro Aura
09-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Xboxed
Afro have you finished it on hard mode yet as the game is totally diferent in hard and you really have to work hard on setting up ambushes, crossfires etc :D:D:D
hehehe not as yet mate, finished one or two missions then got myself distracted with The Thing :D