PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft To Buy Capcom

Ayanami III
09-27-2002, 05:02 PM
MICROSOFT TO BUY CAPCOM, SAY GOSSIPMONGERS

Rumour has just emerged that Rare wasn't the only target when Microsoft sat down with a shed-load of cash and a hunting rifle

18:05 According to senior gossipers in the UK today, Microsoft has been in discussions with Capcom in Japan with the intention of buying the company.
The talk arrives on the back of a set of shaky financials for Capcom, where the Japanese giant wrote off approximately £70 million in the past year on scaling down company assets.

Capcom is the latest company rumoured to be targeted by Microsoft in recent weeks, after the American behemoth finally admitted it had bought Rare for the "bargain" price of £240 million.

Current talk is also pinning Sega as a possible buyout opportunity for Microsoft, although chatter on the subject has slowed in the last week.

The talk of Capcom going under the hammer has yet to be substantiated by any sources involved in possible talks. According to Japanese insiders, only two other Xbox games from Capcom have yet to be announced, one of which is a driving title.

The main focus for the Capcom, despite the shifting of Resident Evil to Nintendo hardware, firmly remains PlayStation 2.

More on this in the coming weeks. Feel the power of Microsoft's cash.

Patrick Garratt
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=81166

Gaseoussnake
09-27-2002, 05:27 PM
I dont think this will happen.

Capcom will make more money by just staying a 3rd than being a 1st party

tWoTOMA
09-27-2002, 05:34 PM
I hope this is true. I've never been a huge Capcom fan, but seeing how great RE looked on GC, I'd love to see them exclusive the the Big Green Machine. Another game that could turn out to be a console seller is Devil May Cry. Although the first one was way too short and missing replay value, and the 2nd hasn't been released yet, the possibilities on Xbox are huge. Other games like Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom would be huge exclusive titles. Everyone would be licking thier chops at a 3d Street Fighter.

The biggest news in the article is that they are thinking of buying Sega out. That would be huge!! It would be the move that put the Xbox over PS2. MSFT would have control of the best sports franchises on the planet in NBA,NFL, NCAA, World Series Baseball, and NHL 2K series. I know NFL is still behind Madden in sales, but no God-fearing 2K3 fan that owns a PS2 would keep it and switch over to Madden. And we all know how great the NBA, NHL, and WSBB games are. With NCAA 2K4 using NFL 2K3's engine, Sega is poised to take over the sports gaming market. Crazy Taxi, SegaGT, HotD, and others would stay Xbox exclusive, and we would finally have a Mascot for our system: Sonic. Aside from Master Chief, no charcter is associated with Xbox, but Sonic would be huge.

Add those games to the new Rare games, Halo 2, UC, Brute Force, and others (in my sig) the Xbox is definately going to take over the market in my mind.

carlbme
09-27-2002, 05:37 PM
I'd like to see it happen. MS sure needs something like this to help boost sales in Japan.

However I seriously doubt this will happen though.

Ayanami III
09-27-2002, 05:52 PM
http://xengamers.com/sections/news/8729/
Cacpom Outlook Bleak
Capcom revealed today that the company expects to post losses of
approximately 12.7 billion yen ($103 million) for the fiscal
year ending March 2003. This stands in stark contrast to the 3.8
billion yen profit the company initially forecast. Speaking about
the dramatic reversal, a company spokesperson blamed losses on
an extraordinary loss of 23.1 billion associated with the
company's real estate holdings. It's believed Capcom has begun
liquidating several assets including corporate offices in order
to boost cash reserves. Aside from the devaluation of real estate
holdings however, Capcom also blamed poor sales and increased
operating expenses on its reversal of fortune. While news of the
company's revised projections was released after the close of
trading in Japan, rumors of the announcement sent shares in the
company down nearly 3 percent on the Tokyo exchange.

The Informer
09-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Can't Microsoft make their own games instead of buying out every game company they can get their hands on?

lefiend
09-27-2002, 06:44 PM
microsoft makes (or at least produces) tons of games themselves, in fact, it seems like 1/4 of the games out there for xbox are first party games, so thats pretty good

and think about it, if you had a multi-billion dollar company, wouldnt you try and monolopolize every markket you could?

i sure as hell would, cuz the more companies you buy, the more money you make in the long run

Slacker
09-27-2002, 06:58 PM
I believe it, because Capcom is having money trouble so MS will most likely buy them out, which will rule I like Capcom games

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Nope..i don't think that capcom is going to sell to anybody.....microsoft may invest....but will never own capcom. Capcom is going to weather out this storm....... Everybody is hurting.........but the quick flood of christmas cash should make everybody feel much better about the future:D

odpr
09-27-2002, 07:01 PM
that it's time to go for the rea lcompanys, and stop playing with those little kiddies...with all the respect to capcom, they are still way behind giants like sega, so I think it's time to buy sega, if this will happen then sony is finished. cuz we all know that sega is a reall master when it comes to consols...

also what I think that they are trying to remove nintendo from the planet, if u take a closer look step by step they are tearing a part nintendo exculisve companys, and making by that the reason to buy nintendo almost zero.

so, whatI think that will be the end is that microsoft will eventully kill nintendo , and letting them the option to be in with them.

so it will be :

micorosft. nintendo,capcom,rare.ssega vs sony......bye bye sony...

Knight
09-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Hey Ayanami someone beat you too it!!

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24075

But I will post what I sayed in the other post!!

I hope they buyout Both Capcom & Namco!!
Capcom has ben Nintendo's Bit** for to long!!
Because of that I'm not buying there games(plus the fact they haven make any thing I like for the XBox)!!

Evil_Dr_Beefy
09-27-2002, 07:13 PM
odpr.......Dude, sorry but i think your wrong about capcom. Capcom is a major powerhouse in console gaming. If anything...i think that sega is behind them.....Nintendo is going to go third party in the next three years..following sega's lead. Sony isn't going anywhere.........i will take the japanese craftsmanship over microsoft's deep pockets anyday............my two cents:D

Knight
09-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Capcom support for the XBox sucks and I will not support them onto they start giving better support for the XBox!!
Let them Burn and Die!! The only good XBox game coming out from them is Steel Battalion but I'm not paying $200 for a game from a Company that shows so little support for the XBox!!

Jay_Fro
09-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Onimusha

Devil May Cry

Resident Evil

Perfect Dark

Conker

Banjo

Kameo

Halo

Project Gotham

Sales could pick up rather quickly if these titles are ONLY ON XBOX. Picking up Capcom would without a doubt help Xbox sales in Japan and the United States. Now if MS could only get Capcom to stop making poor choices in real estate.......

Outback_Ash
09-28-2002, 07:02 AM
Resi Evil XBOX Exclusive would kick ass but i do not see this happening. As great as it would be I think Nintendo have a strong hold on Capcom...then again I though all the RARE rumors were false so im probably wrong!

Crazy Joe
09-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Outback_Ash
Resi Evil XBOX Exclusive would kick ass but i do not see this happening. As great as it would be I think Nintendo have a strong hold on Capcom...then again I though all the RARE rumors were false so im probably wrong!

Nintendo doesn't have any real power over Capcom, especially since they make ALOT of games for PS2, Res. Evil is one of the only big names from Capcom on GC.

However, Nintendo did have a HUGE hold over Rare, and look what happened. I can definitely see MS buying Capcom, I would be surprised if it didn't happen.

Shadow20002
09-28-2002, 11:51 AM
If this thing will happen then the rank of the three consoles will change. Well, after all we cannot miss theses ones that's gonna have a big impression in the market of gaming world:

Residen Evil Series (survival-horror that start it all)
Street Fighter Series (mother of the figther game)
Dino Crisis Series and a lots more

If all of these games are ONLY on the Xbox, well we will have a lots of killers to track down the other console.

Nintendo Gamecube: Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil
Playstation 2: Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy
Xbox: Halo, Dead or Alive

That's is was i'm thinking about the top one on every console. Next year, it's gonna be a real deal for who will be mark "console of the year". Just wait and see. :cool:

DIGITAL
09-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by The Informer
Can't Microsoft make their own games instead of buying out every game company they can get their hands on? then why doesnt sony make there own games,o wait they do an they suck,i hope ms buys every game company know to man!

Knight
09-28-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by DIGITAL
then why doesnt sony make there own games,o wait they do an they suck,i hope ms buys every game company know to man!

Buying eveyone wouldn't be good because there's some crapy ones!!

DIGITAL
09-28-2002, 12:05 PM
true!

Gaseoussnake
09-28-2002, 03:47 PM
I dont see M$ buying Capcom.

First of all,If M$ go out and get Capcom now,Nintendo and Sony may sue their asses for Market monopoly...naw mean!!!!!

robnyack
09-28-2002, 05:56 PM
I like Microsoft's policy...."If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!"

:)

Kortiz
09-28-2002, 09:42 PM
just gonna have to wait and see.

if they do buy out capcom, man, that would be sweet. what is strange is how MS and Sega havnt hooked up i havnt read anything or heard anything but that SEGA and MS will not connect as far as buying out. *shrug* sega through themselves at Nintendo, but not MS?

*shrug*

/boggle

i dunno

irfo2004
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
There was rumer before X06 that Resident evil 5 will be xbox 360 exclusive so i think it is real and i really hope that microsoft buy capcom because i want to see ps3 fanboy face after they hear that resident evil 5 and devil may cry 4 is xbox 360 exclusive.:cool:

Reclaimer
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Why did you bump a 4 year old thread?
Especially about a topic that is based on pure speculation and zero fact. A vast majority of the people posting in this thread aren't even active members anymore.

Now with the Wii and PS3 out on the market, you can pretty much forget RE or DMC as 360 exclusives. It made sense several years ago when all the next generation consoles where in development and the Xbox was at the height of it's popularity.
But now? It's a different market.

Soda Jones
11-27-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.dfwstangs.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10013/popeapril2sl%7E1.jpg

mattgame
11-28-2006, 05:52 AM
Yikes! This is the state of XBA.