PDA

View Full Version : What WILL be better? HALO2 or DOOM3

SPARTAN VI
09-30-2002, 12:37 AM
It has come down to Halo2 and Doom III for the battle for the BEST GAME OF 2003. Though it is WAY to early to say, which will be better? I only ask for opinions not Verbal Warfare, but don't hesitate to engage in some...
In my opinion, Halo 2 will win the title. It has a great story, a great engine, and well, GREATNESS itself. Doom, well, I grew up with it, and it opened my mind to gaming when I was 5. I've seen the screens for DOOM III, and the trailers, and pics from HALO 2, though Doom III looks better NOW, it won't beetter than Halo 2, which should be released a whole year from now.
As of now, Doom III looks great, and well, thats all. Don't hear about the enemy or team AI, physics, a story???!!! or anything that could even compare to Halo 2, much less Halo 1. I will RENT Doom III, maybe it would shape up by the January 2003 release (as stated by the great PCGAMER guys) but still Halo 2 has a whole year, it is bound to surpass all games, ever made, to date(of it's release)
I will absolutely buy Halo 2, enjoy the 1 player mode, and the multiplayer. Doom III? Yeah, I'd have fun with the single player, and the 4-PLAYER multiplay.(as stated by John Carmack) As far as AI goes, how smart can a Zombie be?! As compared to the military genius of the Covenant Elite.

HALO 2 GOOD!!!! DOOM III GOOD, but as good???

Variation-XBA
09-30-2002, 12:51 AM
A PC game of that stature is gunna be hard to compete with...

The hype for it in the PC world is already insane; Not that Halo2 for Xbox isnt.... but...

I like both, but in the end, I'm guessing Doom3 if it makes it out in time and if the normal person can afford the computer to play it on :P

Still lots of time before the finals of both games are given..so we'll see

Jarvis
09-30-2002, 12:52 AM
I'd have to go with Halo 2.

let's see, i've put probably 300 hours into halo 1, and that was without all the sht they are adding to number 2! (convenant vs marine wars, ridiculous graphics, new moves, xbox live support, double the amount of vehicles, BETTER (!?) AI, etc)

Seriously, I seriously think Halo 2 might be perfect the way it's being talked about so far. all of the additions seem to make my pants soiled.

I consider Halo to be almost perfect, so how far off could we be from perfection?

-jarvis

SPARTAN VI
09-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Variation
A PC game of that stature is gunna be hard to compete with...

The hype for it in the PC world is already insane; Not that Halo2 for Xbox isnt.... but...

I like both, but in the end, I'm guessing Doom3 if it makes it out in time and if the normal person can afford the computer to play it on :P

Still lots of time before the finals of both games are given..so we'll see

True, but as far as gameplay goes, AI, overall engine greatness (like physics). How will that compete? Programmers always have to keep in mind of the minority or maybe the other way, the majority. What f a majority of PCgamers have low-end entry systems? The guys at Id had to keep this in mind so that these people can play their products. On the high-end gaming systems like AlienWare and Falcon NorthWest PCs, it'll look great. ;)

Doom III, has the graphics, I want to see everything else, like : story, AI, engine capabilities ( physics, lighting, etc), y'know what I've repeating like 500 times already.

Xbox Owner
09-30-2002, 05:54 AM
Halo 2. Doom 3 might have better graphics, but Halo 2 will have so much more options.;)

E-Vader
09-30-2002, 06:37 AM
I'd vote for DOOM III, tha big daddy of 'em all:D

Koopa
09-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
It has come down to Halo2 and Doom III for the battle for the BEST GAME OF 2003. Though it is WAY to early to say, which will be better? I only ask for opinions not Verbal Warfare, but don't hesitate to engage in some...
In my opinion, Halo 2 will win the title. It has a great story, a great engine, and well, GREATNESS itself. Doom, well, I grew up with it, and it opened my mind to gaming when I was 5. I've seen the screens for DOOM III, and the trailers, and pics from HALO 2, though Doom III looks better NOW, it won't beetter than Halo 2, which should be released a whole year from now.
As of now, Doom III looks great, and well, thats all. Don't hear about the enemy or team AI, physics, a story???!!! or anything that could even compare to Halo 2, much less Halo 1. I will RENT Doom III, maybe it would shape up by the January 2003 release (as stated by the great PCGAMER guys) but still Halo 2 has a whole year, it is bound to surpass all games, ever made, to date(of it's release)
I will absolutely buy Halo 2, enjoy the 1 player mode, and the multiplayer. Doom III? Yeah, I'd have fun with the single player, and the 4-PLAYER multiplay.(as stated by John Carmack) As far as AI goes, how smart can a Zombie be?! As compared to the military genius of the Covenant Elite.

HALO 2 GOOD!!!! DOOM III GOOD, but as good???

i'm going to have to agree with you on this one..
What have we heard about halo2? NEW FEATURES, NEW VEHICLES, INNOVATIVE GAMEPLAY TWEAKS, EXTENSIVE XBOXLIVE USAGE, MORE WEAPONS, EPIC GROUND AND AIR BATTLES, COVENANT VS HUMAN >16 PLAYER ONLINE BATTLES, BEAUTIFUL ENVIRONMENTS AND PLAYER MODELS...

what have we hard about doom3?
it looks..really...really..pretty..and its DOOM!...and yeah it's still pretty:D

maybe its just because i haven't researched doom3 as extensively as halo2, but i'm pretty sure halo2 will be the undisputed winner of this dispute

OH YEAH, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS spartan!:)

GokuX
09-30-2002, 10:18 AM
It's kinda cool that you'll have a showdown of this magnitude in the PC and Console world. Has something like this happened before, I can't remember. I think Halo 2 sales are gonna be through the roof, probably breaking many records. The same for Doom3. Can't wait.

fowlowl
09-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Halo 2 with very little doubt. Doom 3 has photorealistic effects like no other game, that's great. But nothing has addressed how good of a game it could be. On the other hand, Halo 2 has Halo as a testement to its revolutionary gameplay. Plus the great graphics. I think Halo 2 will be a surreal experience (as long as the Flood dont show up again) that Doom 3 wont be able to compete with.

carlbme
09-30-2002, 02:36 PM
HALO2

While DOOM3 will probably have slightly better graphics, HALO2 will have better story line and gameplay (well at least I THINK it will, since I haven't played either one, its hard to say for sure).

l Maximus l
09-30-2002, 03:19 PM
I'm going to have to go with Halo 2. The first Halo is a phenominon...I've never played a game as long and kept my interest soaring with any other game other than the original Halo. I can see this increasing moreso as Halo 2 is conceived in December 2003.

As for Doom 3...it's going to also be an unbelievable game. I grew up with Wolfenstein and Doom and I will probably give Doom 3 a rent before I buy. It's simply an awesome series and Doom 3 simply cannot be ignored.

But, my money will definately go for Halo 2.

Personally, I can't wait for Unreal Championship and I predict that this game will possibly surpass the greatness of Halo since XBox Live is truly going to make this the flagship title this coming November 15th. I can't wait!!! :D

Casper
09-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Well, I may have to say that Unreal has a chance of getting it like they did a few years back...no? :confused:

But out of the 2 in question, I would have to assume that with the depth of Halo 2, and the new changes that have been made...this will be the winner out of the select. However, there still maybe some others that are competing, possibly Fable and BC, but that's still up in the air.

Acid Snow
09-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Damn that's a good question... :\

hmmm... the toughest question i have ever been asked........

I decline to answer.

Rancor
09-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Is Doom3 coming to xbox? Otherwise, I will probably never get to play it, as I only have a hunk of crap for a computer.

SPARTAN VI
09-30-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by casper
Well, I may have to say that Unreal has a chance of getting it like they did a few years back...no? :confused:

But out of the 2 in question, I would have to assume that with the depth of Halo 2, and the new changes that have been made...this will be the winner out of the select. However, there still maybe some others that are competing, possibly Fable and BC, but that's still up in the air.

Halo 2 seems to be in the lead:cool: . I was inclined not to mention Unreal Championship because of it's revelance to the PC gamers. They won't be getting Unreal Championship. Still, that poses a question for ANTOHER thread, UC or UT2003?? But, DON'T ANSWER THAT HERE!!

All of you guys said DOOM III has the graphics. Well, it does, for now however... I'd hate to repeat myself a 4th or 5th time but, HALO 2 STILL HAS ANOTHER YEAR TO GO! That means it could absolutely blow DOOM III outta the water, and the store shelves.

Koopa
09-30-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by fowlowl
I think Halo 2 will be a surreal experience (as long as the Flood dont show up again) that Doom 3 wont be able to compete with.

sorry, but flood are coming back, according to bungie. they say the flood and the covies have a long history together.

hmmmmmm.

yeah and um UC...is gonna be the flagship title for XBL, along with ghost recon and mechassault

TheCovenant
09-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Sorry you biased pc gamers, Halo 2 will be my choice ( that biased remark was a joke, no hate mail please!).

Spartan iv had a very good point.

How much A.I. does it take to make a zombie? the walk around for the nearest target and eat. They dont seek cover, or plan out strategic military flanks and the like. the just wander around.

Sorry but the folks at bungie have this one in the bag, however if you do not have an xbox, You will have to settle for Doom III, although i must say youre missing out on a lot!

And for those of you who just love zombies, halo has a mess of super zombies that overwhelm you called the flood! halos got the best of both worlds.

I feel sorry for all who said DommIII,.......really sorry.

P.s. Welcome spartan IV! Prepare to get mail from some of the cruelest poeple on earth!:cool:

Koopa
09-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
P.s. Welcome spartan IV!
lol isn't it spartan 6 and not spartan 4? :D

but yeah, the fact of the matter is that doom3 is just a suckier halo without covenant...kind of like a whole game based on The Library:eek: :eek:

SPARTAN VI
09-30-2002, 06:54 PM
:mad: IM SPARTAN VI!

Thought you'd of all people would know, esp. when your SPARTAN V!

Heh, should I NOT promote you?

SPARTAN VI
09-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, I am glad to see there are no crazy, PC dudes here. They'd be extrememly mad to see DOOM III isn't getting the votes they want.

And then I am dissapointed to see any tough/good arguments saying DOOM III will be better.

Guess I'll wait.....:o

TheCovenant
09-30-2002, 11:04 PM
screw you all! its halo 2 and you know it.........i know everyone feels they are obligated to like doom III because of the good old days, but wouldnt you rather have fun? c'mon i know you do.....

Bigwig
10-01-2002, 02:25 AM
Halo 2 should win just beacause of the use of the second analog stick alone.

Leviathon
10-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Halo 2

TheCovenant
10-01-2002, 07:32 PM
halo 2 ******!

TheCovenant
10-01-2002, 07:34 PM
that word by the way, was ******!

Shadow20002
10-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Halo 2 will be the next "killer app" of all FPS in later next year (in Xbox). Well, from what i hear about Doom III, with his horror-type and highly textures, that's for sure this one is in library of games for the majority of people. Don't know what to get next year ? So hard huh ? Then get them all !!! ;)

Squidpie
10-01-2002, 10:08 PM
Halo 2 gets my vote !

mitchrules1
10-01-2002, 10:27 PM
HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2

Koopa
10-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by mitchrules1
HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2HALO 2

i couldn't have said it better:D

Highlite23
10-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Halo 2, and here goes my shamless XBOX plug...........

With XBOX i don't have to worry about my PC not being able to handle all the "Eye-Candy"

Seriuosly, thats one of my PC gripes, you will always need to keep tweaking your system to handle all the latest and greatest titles. Unless you already have a high end machine. Just my opinion of course.

SPARTAN VI
10-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
Halo 2, and here goes my shamless XBOX plug...........

With XBOX i don't have to worry about my PC not being able to handle all the "Eye-Candy"

Seriuosly, thats one of my PC gripes, you will always need to keep tweaking your system to handle all the latest and greatest titles. Unless you already have a high end machine. Just my opinion of course.

I think this is one of the TOP 10 REASONS WHY TO GET AN XBOX.
It was certainly mine, stupid PC always need to be upgraded, constantly, now they've got 2.8 Ghz CPUs and the freakin GeForce Ti 4600 is already laggin behind! The Radeon 9700 PRO kicked it in the butt by never going below 50 fps, on any game, with the highest res, everything on, and 4x anti-aliasing! MAN! You'd have to be REAL rich to constantly upgrade, or at least extremely devoted.

Heck, I'm here with my 366 Mhz, Intel Celeron, packed with a GeForce 2 MX400! I give up! I'll buy a new comp when I get a job. This thing has a stupid built in SiS620 video card thats messin me up, and don't say, "THEN TAKE IT OUT!", because I'll say, "I can't! It is built in!!!!"

I'm stickin with the XBOX and Halo 2.

gameclucks.com
10-03-2002, 03:22 PM
HALO 2

y2kash_14
10-03-2002, 11:43 PM
I pick Doom III!! All the way baby!

SPARTAN VI
10-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
I pick Doom III!! All the way baby!

What? Someone says DOOM III? Ok, but why?

y2kash_14
10-04-2002, 10:54 PM
was i the first?? i dunno it just looks better

SPARTAN VI
10-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
was i the first?? i dunno it just looks better

That works I guess, but then again... it looks better NOW. I'll say it again, Halo 2 still has a year until it's release.

Tinny
10-05-2002, 12:39 PM
All I heard about DOOM III is that there's much more emphasis on the more scary aspect of the gaming. Dark areas, and one on one encounters with terrifying beasts. Great. It will be great with DD5.1 then, but anything else? Anybody know about the weapons and gameplay etc. Until I get more information on DOOM III, my vote goes to Halo 2 right now I'm afraid, simply because it promises better game play than Halo. Ofcourse nobody will really know until they actually played the two games, so I won't be voting voting (click on the poll). Until I played the two games, I will tell you which one is better.

Koopa
10-06-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Tinny
All I heard about DOOM III is that there's much more emphasis on the more scary aspect of the gaming. Dark areas, and one on one encounters with terrifying beasts. Great. It will be great with DD5.1 then, but anything else? Anybody know about the weapons and gameplay etc. Until I get more information on DOOM III, my vote goes to Halo 2 right now I'm afraid, simply because it promises better game play than Halo. Ofcourse nobody will really know until they actually played the two games, so I won't be voting voting (click on the poll). Until I played the two games, I will tell you which one is better.

is it just me or do we know more about halo2's gameplay than about doom3's, even though halo2 is a year away? we know about leaning behind walls, new guns and vehicles, cool ai tricks and stuff for halo 2..and we know doom3 will be moody...this means either
a) i'm not researching doom3 enough
b)they're hiding some amazing new feature that will revolutionize gaming forever
c)there's nothing new in the gamplay department

can someone please post what will be revolutionary about doom3's gameplay,cuz i'm hoping it'll be a cool game..i just need a reason to want it:D

SPARTAN VI
10-06-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Koopa

is it just me or do we know more about halo2's gameplay than about doom3's, even though halo2 is a year away? we know about leaning behind walls, new guns and vehicles, cool ai tricks and stuff for halo 2..and we know doom3 will be moody...this means either
a) i'm not researching doom3 enough
b)they're hiding some amazing new feature that will revolutionize gaming forever
c)there's nothing new in the gamplay department

can someone please post what will be revolutionary about doom3's gameplay,cuz i'm hoping it'll be a cool game..i just need a reason to want it:D

You said it Koopa. The only revolutionary thing so far, would be the "Gate to Hell" opening or somethin like that. Other than that, the only thing that would make it seem great is the number 3 that is in it's name.

Koopa
11-09-2002, 02:31 PM
so..those of you who've gotten your hands on the alpha....you got anything new to say about doom3? i havent herad much other than that people loved it.:D

SPARTAN VI
11-09-2002, 02:36 PM
[Death Kingiht]IM ALIVE![/DEATH KNIGHT]
(yknow, from WC 2...)

I've gotten my lastest PCGAMER mag, and a screenshot from DOOM3 is smack on the cover. It's really nice to see all of my child hood memories come back in fully 3D rendered form, decked out with bump-mapping, self lighting, and everything nice. The Barons of Hell look freakier than ever, the Imps look more threatening, and the Archvile looks like he can revive everyone that died in WW2. Looking great, think I'll buy it, get tired of it, then sell it...

wweomaniac
11-09-2002, 02:38 PM
graphically doom III will be better since you're still using the same Halo engine with Halo 2. They're just gonna go do more bumpmapping.

With Doom III, the sound is simply amazing. I got a hold of the leaked versio and it was amazing. It only ran at 10 FPS on my comp but it was brilliant. The sound was AMAZING. The pipes moved in real time when that big ass slug went through it.

But theyre two different games. DOOM III is more like horror isn't aboot shooting a million enemies in front of you all the time. So you shouldnbt be comparing both these games.

SPARTAN VI
11-09-2002, 02:44 PM
On the contrary, both of these titles have something to live up to, their names. And they both ARE going to be the BEST FPSs of all time, it MUST be down to these two titles to kick each other's a$$, whether it be graphically, game play, story, AI, anything, these two will dominate FPSs 2003. Unless of course another HUGE title comes out, *thinking*......nope... no others....:rolleyes:

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I brought it this back for the Halo2 vs DOOM 3 graphics debate. Enjoy and see my old n00b self. :D :cheers:

No Fear 23
04-30-2003, 07:33 PM
its tough to say, its 2 differnet games for different ppl. ppl will say that doom 3 is better bc of thier horror gameplay likeness while some ppl may say that halo is better bc of thier action likeness.

i like horror games, but its gonna be a tough choice, and no, i dont compare games to their graphics, its pointless and its like judging a book by its cover.

but i'd have to go with Halo 2 since i love that game and its my favorite game, plus my mind could change if i play Doom 3 bc i never played the other series of doom.

its hard to so, but as of now, Halo 2.

kenji
04-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Halo 2 will win, both in sales and graphics. Most people haven't played Doom 3, myself included, so halo will take it all in a sweep with sales. The graphics look amazing for halo 2, so halo 2 all the way!!!