PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Dolby Digital 5.1

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Ok, so yesterday (sunday, sept 29th) I went to futureshop and bought my new Home Theater system! Hooray! I got a Home Theater in a box. I got a Panasonic SCHT75. To me it sounds just as good if not better than my uncles set up that cost him a couple grand. He has all seperate components that are supposed to be awesome. It is awesome so far and I love it. I have a question though. How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound. So for now I have been turning on Dolby Pro Logic sound manually on my HTS. Is the reciever supposed to autodetect the sound or are you supposed to manually turn it on? My reciever has all of the required elements to play 5.1 and everything but so far it just is not detecting it.

Which games actually have 5.1 anyhow? I know Morrowind does becuase it has the symbol on the box. Halo, Amped, Fever, Mirra and Gotham have the Dolby Digital symbol but no 5.1 symbol.

Casper
09-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Well, I have mine setup with the Optical cable going into my receiver, then it automatically kicks over to Dolby Digital, if the game is enhanced with it.

One person that you would want to ask about this is LynxFX, he is by far the most educated one with home theater on this site.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 11:38 AM
Yeah I have the audio cables from the xbox plugged into my reciever. It autodetects the sound from dvds. That may be becuase I have a built in 5 disc dvd player though. Until LynxFX can help me or some other HTS savvy person comes along I guess I will just have to wait.

Thanks for the input Casper!:)

Chaotic
09-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Ok, so yesterday (sunday, sept 29th) I went to futureshop and bought my new Home Theater system! Hooray! I got a Home Theater in a box. I got a Panasonic SCHT75. To me it sounds just as good if not better than my uncles set up that cost him a couple grand. He has all seperate components that are supposed to be awesome. It is awesome so far and I love it. I have a question though. How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound. So for now I have been turning on Dolby Pro Logic sound manually on my HTS. Is the reciever supposed to autodetect the sound or are you supposed to manually turn it on? My reciever has all of the required elements to play 5.1 and everything but so far it just is not detecting it.

Which games actually have 5.1 anyhow? I know Morrowind does becuase it has the symbol on the box. Halo, Amped, Fever, Mirra and Gotham have the Dolby Digital symbol but no 5.1 symbol.

Did you go into your xbox and setup it up for dolby digital instead of dolby surrond which it's set at by default?

Casper
09-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TheMentorsXbox

Did you go into your xbox and setup it up for dolby digital instead of dolby surrond which it's set at by default?

Psst.....

How do you set up Dolby Digital sound in games? I selected it on the xbox dashboard but my system is not autodetecting the dolby digital sound.

;)

Chaotic
09-30-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by casper

Psst.....

;)

Your on my bad side today :mad:

Thanks for reading something i didn't :rolleyes:

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeesh, after spending 720$ I have to go spend another 50$ for optical cables? This is getting expensive. Ah well, I am sure it is worth it.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Oh, oops. I was double checking everything and found out it is only set on dolby surround. So how do I change that from Dolby Surround to Dolby Digital?

Sorry for being a dumbass.

Casper
09-30-2002, 01:59 PM
Oh, oops. I was double checking everything and found out it is only set on dolby surround. So how do I change that from Dolby Surround to Dolby Digital?

Sorry for being a dumbass.

Ummm...on your XBox or your stereo? If it's on the Box, then you should just hit the A button and be able to change it there. If it's on your stereo, you'll have to change through your Audio Config.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 02:01 PM
On the xbox dashboard under audio I only have the options, Mono, Stereo and Dolby Surround. I clicked Dolby Surround and have tried everybutton on the controller to turn it to Dolby Digital but I do no think you can. My reciever automatically goes onto Dolby Digital when it detects it.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Step 1: Take game out of XBOX tray

Step 2: From XBOX setup screen go to settings--->sound.

Step 3: Once in the sound set-up, if Dolby Surround is on, click on it, select "no". Go TO Step 4:

Step 4: Press "b" to back up to original sound settings. Click on Digital Dolby, select "yes".

Step 5: Press "b" as many times as needed to back out to main screen. Hook up Optical cable from your "advanced" or "High Definition" a/v pack, send it to your optical in on your receiver. Pop in game, enjoy.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 02:06 PM
Ok, do you have an "Advanced" or "HIgh Definition" A/V pack? If not, you will not have digital sound capability. This is most likely your problem. Once you have either of the above, the option for Dolby Digital will magically appear in your sound---settings dashboard. Sorry, sound like your using the standard cable. No sweat though, I can sell you mine, the advanced that is.

Advanced A/V pack: S-video, Digital Dolby

High Definition A/V pack: Component Video, High Definition, Digital Dolby

JimmieDoogan
09-30-2002, 02:07 PM
I don't know how much has been covered, but I'll cover as much as possible. In order to run 5.1 descreet you have to have an Optical cable (does not cost 50bucks... only 24 at radio shack for a short cable) and your Xbox has to be set for Dolby Digital (go on your dashboard to settings then to audio, and it says DOLBY DIGITAL On or Off, just choose on) once you have that set up, EVERY SINGLE Xbox GAME OUT THERE WILL USE IT. It will say on your Reciever's display "Dolby Digital" instead of Surround. YOU HAVE TO HAVE OPTICAL IN ORDER TO USE DD5.1 on XBOX. It is a must!

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 02:09 PM
You see that is just the thing. All that happens when I press a on Dolby Surround is it selects it and exits to the previous screen. There is no choosing yes or no. By this it makes me think dolby digital is only enabled by buying the 70$ canadian optical cables. That is kinda cheap IMO, unless this is impossible you should be able to use DD with regular sound cables. Just another ploy to get you to buy a new microsoft product I guess.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Guess I was right. I would buy your cable netranger6 but you live in Texas and I live in Canada and I do not like sending money across 2 countries.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 02:14 PM
I'd let it go cheap. I have all the A/V packs due to an upgrade in televisons. The Advanced one is a MS product, but the High Def. is Monsters Cables. That's cool though, won't cost you but $15 anyway.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 02:23 PM
15$ USD is 21$ canadian. Is that what you were offering me as a price for your pack or just the regular price of one? If that is the regular price that is pretty sweet. I think I will go buy it now.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 02:25 PM
I paid $20 for it 8 months ago, off the .net of course. They can't be that much more for you up north.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Here ya' go, $19.99
Advanced A/V cables (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801262)

Knight
09-30-2002, 02:34 PM
You see that is just the thing. All that happens when I press a on Dolby Surround is it selects it and exits to the previous screen. There is no choosing yes or no. By this it makes me think dolby digital is only enabled by buying the 70$ canadian optical cables. That is kinda cheap IMO, unless this is impossible you should be able to use DD with regular sound cables. Just another ploy to get you to buy a new microsoft product I guess.

You need a Optical cable for DD!!

Cost is $20 for a 6feet one or if a 3feet will do it's $15!!
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F015%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1581

Zion
09-30-2002, 02:38 PM

You cannot get a digital signal (Dolby 5.1) from analog cables (rca cables that come with Xbox). You have to have an A/V pack and an optical cable. This is not a Microsoft thing, this is standard in the audio world. An optical cable does not cost $70, they can be had for less than $10.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 02:53 PM
Ok, so how does that cable work? Do you have to buy an s-video cable seperate? Becuase I see no male outputs for an input into my sound system and TV.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Ok here we go:

Standard A/V pack (comes with your XBOX)

-Composite video and audio only(a.k.a. "RCA" jacks)

Advanced A/V pack:

-Comes with S-Video cable, 3 composite (yellow, red, white) for audio/video, and has an Optical Digital audio port (cable is seperate)
-Digital Dolby is an option, not guarantee in life. If you want it, and almost every game has it in the gameplay itself, then you must have a cable and appropriate sound system to decode it.

High Def A/V pack:
-If you want the best picture, the ability to play in 480p. 720p, or 1080i, and your TV supports this resolution, you want this. However, your TV need not by High Definition, as long as it has component inputs for video. This pack has 3 component video cables, and 2 audio compositie cables. It also has an Optical input for Digital Dolby, once again as said above.

Basically, if you want the Digital Dolby, you will need the Advanced AV pack, and an optical cable to run from your A/V to your receiver. Wham, your in the mix.

Playa128
09-30-2002, 04:43 PM
Sorry mate.....me and you both cant get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound...you wanna know why?? we dont have an optical outlet in the back of our receivers.....in other words we got hosed!!! i bought the identical system 2 months ago and already did all the research...we are stuck on Dolby Prologic!!!! :(

UltimateAg
09-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Wait a sec, I thought you said your receiver was auto-detecting DD5.1 movies ok. If this is the case then you have to have optical audio cables going from your xbox to your receiver. What netranger was trying to tell you before sounds like your problem. The audio selection screen there are indeed 3 options: mono, stereo, and dolby surround--you have these 3 options regardless if you have DD5.1 hooked up, but after this it asks you if you want DD5.1 enabled or disabled and DTS enabled or disabled, the default for both is disabled, but obviously if you have it setup correctly you want DD enabled and DTS enabled if your receiver supports it. You get these options of enabling or disabling even if you don't have the correct cables hooked up! You do not need the MS specific audio cables to get this to work, but you MUST have an optical digital audio cable going from your xbox either advanced or high def. a/v pack to your receiver.

S-video is completely different and for video not audio so 1 will not affect the other.

So clarify, is your receiver auto-detecting DD5.1 movies from your xbox or from a set top DVD player?

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 05:29 PM
From a built in dvd player.

Zion
09-30-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by UltimateAg
Wait a sec, I thought you said your receiver was auto-detecting DD5.1 movies ok. If this is the case then you have to have optical audio cables going from your xbox to your receiver. What netranger was trying to tell you before sounds like your problem. The audio selection screen there are indeed 3 options: mono, stereo, and dolby surround--you have these 3 options regardless if you have DD5.1 hooked up, but after this it asks you if you want DD5.1 enabled or disabled and DTS enabled or disabled, the default for both is disabled, but obviously if you have it setup correctly you want DD enabled and DTS enabled if your receiver supports it. You get these options of enabling or disabling even if you don't have the correct cables hooked up! You do not need the MS specific audio cables to get this to work, but you MUST have an optical digital audio cable going from your xbox either advanced or high def. a/v pack to your receiver.

S-video is completely different and for video not audio so 1 will not affect the other.

So clarify, is your receiver auto-detecting DD5.1 movies from your xbox or from a set top DVD player?

His system WILL auto detect movies from the DVD player inside the unit. That's why you NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER buy an all in one unit. It has no external connections, therefore is pretty much useless in this case.

Sell the all in one and upgrade to a better system. Sorry dude.

dougi3000
09-30-2002, 07:16 PM
ok
to get dolby digital 5.1 from xbox
you need one of the 2 Advanced packs.

IF your reciever doesnt have digital optical inputs, you should have a coaxial digital input. If you dont have that either, then your reciever kinda sucks.

If you have coaxial digital, then you need an optical to coaxial adapter.

:)

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 07:45 PM
I think I am SOL for Dolby Digital 5.1 but I can still use Dolby Pro Logic so I am not that ****ed. I am still very happy with my system. I just bought the HT in a box becuase I am in college right now and I don't have much money to spend on my entertainment. I love watching movies with the system. Even games with Pro Logic are awesome (I know 5.1 would be better). I am also LIVE as we speak so my life is good.

netranger6
09-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Yeah, Pro Logic is just fine my friend. But once you come to the 5.1, you'll never look back, unless you hear something moving behind you of course.

MerimacHamwich
09-30-2002, 09:37 PM
At least I still have 5.1 in movies.

Zion
09-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Xbox through a tin can with some string STILL would sound 10 times better than a PS2 even on it's best day! :cool:

Ulchie
09-30-2002, 11:28 PM
oh this sux
look at this site
http://www.weymouthhifi.co.uk/panasonic-scht75.html
scroll down and for output details it says
optical input no

lloydc
10-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Hi guys, got an xbox, got an av amp etc BUT I live in the uk and have been told that you cant get a S/vid and optical cable over here only the scart/optical cable. Is that true? if so where can I get one online from the US or Canada. Thanks for your help......

flexotron
10-07-2002, 09:40 AM
Here is a little infor for anyone wanting 5.1.

Heres is what you need, nothing more, nothing less!

You need

1.Advanced AV pack, if you still have the original, well, you not running 5.1, its impossible ( cant have 5.1 channels without optical cable)

2. Optical cable, cheep at radio shack, cost me 25 canadian ( wich is like what?? 50 cents american hehe)

3. A receiver that has a) optical cable input, 2) dolby digital decoder!.

If you don't have this, you DOn't have 5.1

MerimacHamwich
10-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Well, Lloydc, I am not sure if they have the cables over there in the good ol' kingdom but you can buy stuff from EBGames.com (www.ebgames.com) . I bought some stuff from there and it shipped fine and everything.

MerimacHamwich
10-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Well I am doing it. I am trading in my sound system for another Panasonic. Except the new one does not have a built in DVD player. Fine with me, I already have one. The one I am getting does have an optical input. I made sure. It has everything for the xbox av packs. Here is it.Panasonic SCHT400S (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fs%2Dweb2&biasid=80915B9EACA54C7D95D07B55D355B2D7&sku_id=0665000FS10013533&catid=&newdeptid=10)
I was also thinking about either of these two.
Kenwood HTB-505 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fs%2Dweb5&biasid=80915B9EACA54C7D95D07B55D355B2D7&sku_id=0665000FS10013896&catid=&newdeptid=10)
or
Damn, I cannot remember it.

Well anyhow I am sure I am going with the Panasonic becuase I know it will be good quality due to my previous purchase.

lloydc
10-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your help. Just to let you know that I got an av lead (eventually) from gameplay. It has an rgb scart, a phone x2 out, optical out and S/vid out all for £12.99! bloody bargain or what. Sounds superb, pic is better too. Thanks again......

Zion
10-09-2002, 12:45 PM
It only has one optical input? Where would you plug in your DVD player if your Xbox is using the only optical input? Or are you going to use the Xbox to play DVD's?

Well I am doing it. I am trading in my sound system for another Panasonic. Except the new one does not have a built in DVD player. Fine with me, I already have one. The one I am getting does have an optical input. I made sure. It has everything for the xbox av packs. Here is it.Panasonic SCHT400S (http://http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fs%2Dweb2&biasid=80915B9EACA54C7D95D07B55D355B2D7&sku_id=0665000FS10013533&catid=&newdeptid=10)
I was also thinking about either of these two.
Kenwood HTB-505 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=10&WLBS=fs%2Dweb5&biasid=80915B9EACA54C7D95D07B55D355B2D7&sku_id=0665000FS10013896&catid=&newdeptid=10)
or
Damn, I cannot remember it.

Well anyhow I am sure I am going with the Panasonic becuase I know it will be good quality due to my previous purchase.

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2002, 12:57 PM
I think it has more than one optical input. I am either going to use my dvd player or eles get my brother to buy a dvd playback kit. If I do use my dvd player and it does only have one input and I still get it then I will just switch the cable when I wastch movies. Anyhow I remembered the other on. It was a Yamaha. So I am either gettting a 500w Panasonic, 620w Kenwood, or a 425w Yamaha. I thinkthis (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTIB_300_1.htm) is the Yamaha, I am not quite sure though.

P.S.
I fixed the link to the Panasonic.

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2002, 11:43 PM
Here (http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelId=14295&show_all=false&product_exists=True&active=1&ModelNo=SC-HT400&CategoryId=2607) is a better link to the Panasonic sound system I am getting. It has 2 optical inputs. 1 coaxial.

BCan
10-10-2002, 06:53 AM
WEll, then you'd hate me. Had a little win on the lottery at work, we won AU$36,000, so split that between about 27-28 people and ended up with approx $1400.

Gonna get myself an Onkyo receiver that has Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, DTS 5.1 ES (IE the 6.1 channel versions of both standards), 2 optical inputs (for my DVD and XBOX), 1 Coax Digital Input (for my PC - Digital signal from a Hercules Gametheatre XP).
Also has component, composite and S-Video Visual connections as well. Can't wait to get the rear speaker to watch Star Wars and LOTR with 6.1 sound.....
Then with the remainder going to get a Panasonic DVD-XV10, which can handle MP3, CD-R/R-W and DVD-R discs as well. Will wait and see about this one, see what kind of deal I can get to see how good a DVD player I can get.

Well, I am going to be laid up with a knee reco, so why not spoil myself!!

MerimacHamwich
10-10-2002, 03:38 PM
Indeed. When injured movies are a sure fire way to help take away the pain and have fun during the day. I am not sure how much stuff uses 6.1 but that would be sweet to hear. Tomrow I get my new system. I am stoked.

MerimacHamwich
10-12-2002, 12:17 AM
I did it. I got the Panasonic sound sytem, madcatz advanced av pack and an optical cable. Boy Am I happy I spent the extra 144$.

BCan
10-15-2002, 07:58 AM
Sweet, I will find out this weekend how good my new AV amp sounds, with the new DVD player. Still tossing up to get another 2 pair of bookshelf speakers, to use 3 of them for the rear speakers. Basically the guy at the store told me said that was best.

MerimacHamwich
10-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Wouldn't you want another center speaker for the rear center sound? You are gonna have to tell me how 6.1 is. My little brothers friend has 7.1 . I really don't know if that would be any better. Where would the 7th speaker go? Above center?

BCan
10-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Technically, Dolby Digital is designed for use with exactly the same speakers on each channel, except for the .1.

With 6.1, the rear, is a centre rear, pref if all rears are the same, I have floorstanding ones at the front, bookshelves at the rear.

From the picture in my Gametheatre XP setup of 7.1, it seems to be that there are 2 rear centre channels. The two original ones from 5.1, i.e. Left Surround and Right Surround, adding a left Rear and Right Rear. More of a 4 speaker spread along the rear, and three along the front.
That would be an expensive amp to do 7.1, that is THX-EX, which is more of a new cinema quality standard, than that for the home, even though there are amps that now do it (Most of those provide an interface to allow upgrades of the decoder chips too) - very much a commercial product..

Currently, the films coded in DD EX and DTS-ES have 6.1, which includes The Phantom Menace and LOTR:FOTR.

Eventually it will get to a 27.1 or so speaker setup, where there are speakers in the roof, floor, etc so that the listener is completely surrounded by sound. Rather than sound just going left to right, it will also be able to go up and down.......