PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Caching

Twolf77
11-11-2001, 07:59 PM
I was at EB today and some guy was talking about how the no load times on xbox was not true because he was at some game store and the they had a Shrak (full game not demo he said) running and it had long load times i ask if they chacht it before and he did not know what i was talking about so i told him what i was talking about and said i know the Xbox dose but i dont know if the game dose it auto or you have to do it your self the one of the EB clerks said some game support it and some dont

so i was just wondering if some one know if this it true or if you have to tall the xbox to do it?

one of the staff who has played the xbox do you know?

oh yeah and at EB they had both a xbox and ps2 demo and they ware both off i ask them y and he said they turn them off if the store get crowded because they just bring people to come in and play and not buy anything

Twolf77
11-11-2001, 08:04 PM
man that sucks

Dan Livingston
11-11-2001, 11:53 PM
Some electronic store workers are just plain stupid, while others at least make sense. I have always noticed that they are a few months beheind on what's going on. If you talk to them, they will know what we did 3 months ago. most have bought the PS2 (can't blame 'em, it would be hard to wait a year for a next gen console when one is there every day at work.)

Maddash
11-12-2001, 12:06 PM
What he may be confused about(becuase I have had people complain about this for oddworld too) is that when the game is first starting there will be a load time. It usually isnt long but it may be different between different games. What the harddrive caching is refering to is load times between levels and or areas. The PS2 has load times between levels or areas of the game where as the Xbox does not because it pre-caches to the harddrive. So yes all games should do this but there will be an initial load for the game at start and alot of people are confused by this.

I hope this clears things up.

mojo__31
11-12-2001, 12:59 PM
I agree MadDash, but a few games will have load times at levels as well, Halo does have brief pauses in between intervals, however, its just a second pause. This is due to caching I assume.

scarecrow kfj
11-12-2001, 01:21 PM
also comps need to load P2 needsa to load GC needs to lad so evryone going to have to. At least xbox wont be as long as others