PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pick up WTA Tennis?

swing007
10-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Just wondering if it's worth a buy? Or should I hold out for FILA Tennis?

Any impressions?

Bakeman
10-02-2002, 01:22 PM
I've been wanting to play a Tennis game for a long time now.

I did not know this one was out already. I was just at hollywood video(and their little game store game crazy) And did not see it for buy or rent.

What is this other Tennis game you are talking about? I haven't heard of it yet.

Any info on these tennis games would be great. It's been a long time for a good tennis.

I can't wait! :)

swing007
10-02-2002, 02:13 PM
I'm talking about FIFA World Tour Tennis
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=228902

It will be Live enabled and looks to have a cool tourney system. Check it out...
4 Game modes: Arcade, Challenge, Career and Multiplayer

Online Multiplayer Tournaments for up to 64 people

200 CPU opponents

Over 80 motion captured movements per player model

Fila branded clothes and equipment

Bakeman
10-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by swing007
I'm talking about FIFA World Tour Tennis
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=228902

It will be Live enabled and looks to have a cool tourney system. Check it out...
4 Game modes: Arcade, Challenge, Career and Multiplayer

Online Multiplayer Tournaments for up to 64 people

200 CPU opponents

Over 80 motion captured movements per player model

Fila branded clothes and equipment

WOW!! that sounds awsome!! and Live enabled!! w00t!!!

thanks for the info

No Fear 23
10-02-2002, 06:55 PM
that sounds cool, but im not a big fan of tennis

maximan00
10-02-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by irule23
that sounds cool, but im not a big fan of tennis

give me a break irule....hows your post count coming!

Zion
10-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Don't forget about Slam Tennis!!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=228608

Bakeman
10-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Zion
Don't forget about Slam Tennis!!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=228608

That one doesn't sound to bad either!! dang!!

All this time without a tennis game and we have possibly 3 "good" tennis games to choose from!

Like I said in another topic somewhere, after I rent all these new games coming out to see which I like I could have bought 1 or 2 games lol

evil xbox king
10-11-2002, 06:54 AM
I just got Fila Tennis today! I can't tell you anything about XBL because the PAL version has no online option. Anyway, the game itself is okay- but not without it's faults. The first time you see the game you think 'WOW!!! What a great PS2 game! Oh, wait, this is an Xbox game?:confused:

The different court surfaces really reflect how you play the game, and- for the most part- opponent AI is fairly good, although it does make some stupid mistakes from time to time. No option to save during an arcade tourny is rather sad, though. Who in their right mind would play 4 5 set games in a row? Maybe they designed it for people who would play Xbox 82 hours in a row.... :D

There are a few annoying things, like when your opponent knocks the ball into the net and it dribbles onto your side and gives the computer a point. In the real thing, I believe this is called a 'LET' and no points are awarded (I may be wrong though, I'm not a real tennis fan).

I haven't played Slam Tennis yet, nor WTA so I can't tell you how it compares to either of those games.

The sound is rather dissapointing, what with no option to use your own tracks. The game music, however, is completely monotonous(sp?). Players shoes squek as they run around the court.

Graphics: 7/10
Sound: 8/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Longevity: (Live enabled:)9/10 (as it stands:) 8/10
Overall: 8/10

"A decent tennis game that could easily squirm its way into your game colection. Will be great when XBL comes out."

Bakeman
10-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Cool man.. thanks for the review...

That's funny "wow what a great PS2 game..." LOL!!!

There are a few annoying things, like when your opponent knocks the ball into the net and it dribbles onto your side and gives the computer a point. In the real thing, I believe this is called a 'LET' and no points are awarded (I may be wrong though, I'm not a real tennis fan).

It's a LET when it's on the serve... otherwise it's fair game

evil xbox king
10-11-2002, 08:42 PM
In light of what Bakeman has just said....you can now officially ignore this paragraph-

"There are a few annoying things, like when your opponent knocks the ball into the net and it dribbles onto your side and gives the computer a point. In the real thing, I believe this is called a 'LET' and no points are awarded (I may be wrong though, I'm not a real tennis fan). "

Here are a few more 'in depth' things of the game I didn't get a chance to play yesterday-

CHALLENGE MODE: Challenge mode starts off by having you pick one of twenty players, changing their name and their clothing. Then you may enter tournaments to gain money, and exibition match, practice or shop. We'll start off with Practice...

Practice: A simple drill that you do to raise the level of a certain skill. There is a serve, endurance, volley and accuracy practice. Each practice is made up into 4 parts, and the higher the part the more moolah it costs to do them.

Exhibition: An exibition match is a one off match against an oponent for a cash prize. Each match costs money to enter, the higher ranked opponent the more money it costs. There are both singles and doubles matches, and all sorts of arena's and court surfaces. To enter a doubles match you must first 'purchase' a partner from the partner select screen. Of course, these partners cost money. Once again, the higher ranked partner the more moolah. Partners only last from anywhere between 10 and 60 days, and each event or exibition will take up at least 20 of those days. As the days roll on, different matches will appear.

Tournament Events: The same as Exibition only with multiple matches. The entry fee is larger than an exhibiton match, but the prize is also considerably larger. The sad thing is that their is no option to save mid-tourny, and you must play all the games in a row, with only about 10 seconds to rest. Tournaments range between 3 and 5 matches.

Shop: Once you have gained enough prize money you can visit the local FILA store. In their you will find multiple shirts, hats, shoes and rackets.

Bakeman
10-12-2002, 12:38 AM
doh.. I haven't yet to find a Tennis game at my local Hollywood video/ Game Crazy

I was at EB the other day and didn't see a tennis game either :(

That Fila Tennis sounds like alot of ufn.. can't wait to play it.

evil xbox king
10-12-2002, 06:49 PM
OAXM reviewed Slam Tennis awhile ago. It got a 6/10.

Bakeman
10-12-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by evil xbox king
OAXM reviewed Slam Tennis awhile ago. It got a 6/10.

Oh.. I must have missed it.

I'm still eagerly awaiting to play WTA and Fila Tennis games.

Slim Shady
10-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Dont get wta tennis...unless you wanna play as some chicks...........btw..... anna kournikova is not in it :D

evil xbox king
10-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Slim Shady
Dont get wta tennis...unless you wanna play as some chicks...........btw..... anna kournikova is not in it :D

What is wrong with having a female character in a game? Believe it or not- People play games because they like games, not because they want a male lead character. WTA stands for Women's Tennis Association, who cares? You might as just say-
''I'm not getting Fila Tennis because I like adidas better"

What you have just written implies the thought that someone should not play Perfect Dark because it has a female character in it. I now realize why your user name is slim shady, because your attitude is becoming more and more eminem-esque every day.

X-Ray
10-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Ya'know, I friend o' mine has a tennis game for DC. Not bada at all. But as games I don't think they can keep up with FPS's and RPG's.

Slim Shady
10-13-2002, 11:58 AM

your attitude is becoming more and more eminem-esque every day.

You might as just say-
''I'm not getting Fila Tennis because I like adidas better"

addidas and fila suck. :)

Stride
10-13-2002, 07:11 PM
Good come back slim :D (Ey you shouldn't be encouraging them :mad: you should be telling them how pointless it is to fight over a forum ) Ya I know :( But to see them fight over some tennis games that, no offence, I don't even like is much more fun :D (Ya but.....) You know I'm right ;) (Well...) Don't fight it :) , it's just your human nature (Well......ok maby you do have a point :confused: ) I know :cool: ( Ok just shut up and never mind what i said before I wanna see what happens next *evil grinn*) That's the spirit :D