PDA

View Full Version : Xbox MOD Chips are dead!!

Steve1987
10-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Looking at teletext this morning i saw an article on digitiser. Apparantly Microsoft have changed the inside of the xbox making MOD chips basically impossible to be put in. The Motherboard has supposedly been changed so that it can't have any mod chips attached and has made the console cheaper to make, so microsft might start making a bit more $$ on the Xbox.

I apologise if this is old news i havent been here for ages and couldn't find any news on the Xbox Addict front page about this.

xboxmaster2002
10-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Link??

Snoopy7548
10-02-2002, 01:44 PM
yea, its old news. they didnt change the motherboard. they just put in an updated bios, so if you buy an xbox now, then you cant use the modchips that are out now. but if you have an old xbox, then you can use any modchip out now. but im sure they will find a way around this

Game_Geek
10-02-2002, 01:59 PM
From XboxHacker :
"Word is getting around that games manufactured after September 15th have implemented a form of modchip-detection. If this is true, it not a wise move at all on Microsoft's part. I for one buy legitimate games for my modded system, and this will force me (and i'm sure others) to reconsider. "

I'm looking for the link now....

Game_Geek
10-02-2002, 02:02 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-959084.html

Microsoft has changed the internal configuration of its Xbox game console, a move intended to thwart hackers and lower manufacturing costs.
Word of the changes began spreading on sites devoted Xbox hacking, with some buyers of recently manufactured Xbox units complaining that mod chips designed for the original console won't work now.

Microsoft Xbox spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell confirmed that the company had made minor changes to the console's configuration as part of ongoing efforts to "increase security and reduce overall costs."

O'Donnell declined to specify the specific changes but said they include measures intended to boost security. "They (Microsoft's Xbox hardware team) know the hacker stuff that's out there, and they're always trying to increase security," she said.

Contract manufacturer Flextronics' Xbox assembly plant in China has switched to the new configuration, and the Guadalajara, Mexico, plant that supplies Xbox units for North American consumption will make the change soon, O'Donnell said.

The newly configured units were first spotted in Australia, where Xbox hackers spotted slight changes to the main circuit board that likely will make it impossible to use current "mod chips"--add-ons that bypass security measures built into the hardware.

Hackers have embraced mod chips as a vehicle for running custom software, legally and illegally copied game discs, and imported games. Microsoft has tried several tactics to discourage such hacks.

The new configuration reportedly also uses a different type of BIOS, the basic software that controls the console's operation, and eliminates the fan that had been used to cool the console's custom Nvidia graphics processor.

An Australian hobbyist posting on the Xbox Hacker site said he tried all currently available mod chips on the new Xbox configuration, and none worked.

British Xbox hacker Tony Dalton-Richards said that mod chips that can be upgraded by gamers will simply need a new BIOS and that those without usable memory will have to be remanufactured. He said the revision primarily seems to be aimed at cutting Microsoft's manufacturing costs, "but I guess that they also took the opportunity to throw a spanner in the works for mod chips at the same time."

Slacker
10-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Game_Geek
From XboxHacker :
"Word is getting around that games manufactured after September 15th have implemented a form of modchip-detection. If this is true, it not a wise move at all on Microsoft's part. I for one buy legitimate games for my modded system, and this will force me (and i'm sure others) to reconsider. "

I'm looking for the link now....

I am glad to hear this I hope all modding on Xbox is stopped, Piracy leads to conflict with the manufacture company and the consumer, if modding gets bad they raise prices or some other lame thing that affects us, who don't mod, I applaud microsoft and I hope anyone who has a modded Xbox only gets to play games from launch until now and any new games don't work, which looks like the case HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MASTER TEK
10-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Slacker

I am glad to hear this I hope all modding on Xbox is stopped, Piracy leads to conflict with the manufacture company and the consumer, if modding gets bad they raise prices or some other lame thing that affects us, who don't mod, I applaud microsoft and I hope anyone who has a modded Xbox only gets to play games from launch until now and any new games don't work, which looks like the case HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ehhh, pirating games has been going on forever and they never once raised prices because of this.... Also, if you moded your xbox correctly, you would have put in a bypass switch which would basically put the xbox into its original state when you throw the switch....

carlbme
10-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by MASTER TEK

Ehhh, pirating games has been going on forever and they never once raised prices because of this.... Also, if you moded your xbox correctly, you would have put in a bypass switch which would basically put the xbox into its original state when you throw the switch....

Not all of the mod chips out have this capability.

MASTER TEK
10-02-2002, 03:52 PM
Yes but some do, the older ones do for sure. So if you can get an older one might as well do that and throw a bypass on it.

Here is a link to it being done...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/endisable.php

carlbme
10-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Yes but some do, the older ones do for sure. So if you can get an older one might as well do that and throw a bypass on it.

Here is a link to it being done...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/endisable.php

Yup, seen it, started to do it. But I wanted to make sure that MS couldn't find some weird way to detect it anyway and kick me off Live! first.

MASTER TEK
10-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by carlbme

Yup, seen it, started to do it. But I wanted to make sure that MS couldn't find some weird way to detect it anyway and kick me off Live! first.

Yeah I hear ya. But I really dont see how they could detect it......

When the switch is off, its as if there were no modifications made at all. Unless there is some way to detect that there has been extra solder placed on the motherboard..LOL which i doubt.

GokuX
10-02-2002, 04:38 PM
I for one buy legitimate games for my modded system, and this will force me (and i'm sure others) to reconsider. "

Like this guy is really interested in legitimate games when he has a modded XBox. This is lame. I wonder about some of these people. Pathetic.

Jarvis
10-02-2002, 04:43 PM
I have absolutely no problem with M$ doing what they can to protect their intellectual property and the future of the system I own.

-jarvis

carlbme
10-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by GokuX

Like this guy is really interested in legitimate games when he has a modded XBox. This is lame. I wonder about some of these people. Pathetic.

I agree. If an individual states that he is going to seek games out in any other way than legaly then chances are he already has.

I am interested in moding my box. Mainly because I like the thought of loading up old Atari/NES/SNES games that can't be purchased and playing them.

While I understand that a large amount of people who mod the box want to do it to get free games, I wish that people would not look at the modding community as a bunch of losers who just want free games, because that is an untrue stereotype.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
10-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Dude, modchips will never die.....even now brave hackers are raceing to breck the new roadblock!!!! I bet you the new xbox will be hacked by xmas and a new chip by jan. If you are so worried about being kicked off of live then buy one of the newer (with cheaper parts) xbox....i won't tell anybody:D

ZooLaBuS
10-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Modchips will never die on PS2 because they don't care, LOL...

But Xbox is actually doing something...

Afro Aura
10-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by GokuX

hey I'm sure they're going to bring out a Freeloader for the XBOX as I hear the Game Cubes Freeloader is just round the corner. so no more mod chips which I have to say I'm happy about as piracy sucks

Leviathon
10-03-2002, 09:56 AM
While I understand that a large amount of people who mod the box want to do it to get free games, I wish that people would not look at the modding community as a bunch of losers who just want free games, because that is an untrue stereotype.

In my experience's with people with mod chips is, THEY ARE LOSERS. I am not saying that everyone is, but the ones that I come across are. The ones that I know are young punks who have no respect and have convoluted values and morals.

I personally like the feeling of being able to go out and buy my own games. The guys and kids that I know who Mod there consoles are spending there money on alcohol and smokes and pot and are looking for ways to get their games free.

MASTER TEK
10-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Leviathon

In my experience's with people with mod chips is, THEY ARE LOSERS. I am not saying that everyone is, but the ones that I come across are. The ones that I know are young punks who have no respect and have convoluted values and morals.

I personally like the feeling of being able to go out and buy my own games. The guys and kids that I know who Mod there consoles are spending there money on alcohol and smokes and pot and are looking for ways to get their games free.

LMAO What about the full time college students that live on their own and are studying something related to this industry that cant afford to blow $50 on a game? Does that make them losers too, or just people doing what they can with what they have? I recall alot of shady practices on M$ part to get where they are today...

What about the people who obtained an "extended demo" of a game to check it out and then went on to be one of the people who came out with a killer mod for a game that people played the hell out of?

I suppose Illegal cable TV is out of the question... damn does anyone have the number to turn yourself in for this serious offense?

Why not attack the people who are actually producing the mod chips instead of attacking the people who use them?

Questions, that is all i have....

GokuX
10-03-2002, 03:43 PM

LMAO What about the full time college students that live on their own and are studying something related to this industry that cant afford to blow $50 on a game? Does that make them losers too, or just people doing what they can with what they have? I recall alot of shady practices on M$ part to get where they are today...

It's not the responsibility of software corporations to cater to your budget. I'm in college, though I'm not in the same situation where I am strapped for cash. If you can't buy games there is the option of renting them for $5. Or you can borrow games from friends in your dorm or whatever. If you are on a shoestring budget then you shouldn't even have game systems in the first place. Otherwise you may have your financial priorities out of whack.

BlubberBuns
10-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Modders suck, and they are losers. I don't buy any of the garbage arguements (Oh, I need a back-up because of my kid sister, Oh, I can't afford those corporate fascist prices, etc.).:rolleyes:

I can't afford the games either, so I play the demo disc from X-box magazine, and be patient until I can rent it. The wife regulates my Xbox budget and activities pretty close, but that's my business. I have no pity for these guys.