PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Desert Storm Supports 16:9

netranger6
10-03-2002, 07:21 PM
Ok, I couldn't stand it and took the plunge, ripped open the seal, and poppped the game in. Low and behold, it looks great in WideScreen! Thank God.

Chaotic
10-03-2002, 11:19 PM
That's good to hear, are you glad you kept the game now?

Pretty awesome eh?

netranger6
10-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I like it. Took me 2 hours for the 1st mission. Love how you can jump around from team mate, and into enemy weapon systems.

Chaotic
10-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by netranger6
Yeah, I like it. Took me 2 hours for the 1st mission. Love how you can jump around from team mate, and into enemy weapon systems.

I love sniping from mountain tops.

Or crawling on the ground behind a tank , loading my rocket launcher and blowing that SOB to bits. :D

yall
10-09-2002, 09:04 PM
I wasn't able to play it in widescreen. I have a sony kv-32hs20, which has auto detect 16:9 enhanced mode. i switched to it in the xbox dashboard (i also enabled 480p, 720, and 1080). The xbox went into a mode that looked like letter box. The tv seemed to handle it ok, but when the game started, it switched to full screen. I was t'd off. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

netranger6
10-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Here's the reason:

The great innovation of the 32HS20's enhanced 16:9 mode (which, by the way, is found on most of the Sony's Wega sets and in their H/DTV-ready models) is that it generates the letterbox bands digitally, allowing the full 1080 lines of a 1080i H/DTV image to appear in the scrunched-in space between the letterbox bands. In effect, the vertical resolution of anamorphic widescreen images shoots up about 20 percent. Note that you won't benefit from this feature on non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's which are actually 4:3 DVD's where integral letterbox bands, surrounding the 16:9 image, are part of the whole picture (the scaling feature in outboard line-doublers and some DVD players, such as Panasonic's DVD-RP91, can compensate for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's).

yall
10-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Wow, you sure know your tv's huh? I don't mean to sound rude, but that explains how it works, but not really why it didn't work for my tv (or maybe you did and i'm to thick to realize it!)

netranger6
10-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Ok, here's the deal. You purchased a set that doesn't do 16:9, it's an enhanced verson (like you will always have black bars), some sony proprietary crap. So yes, it's you. Go back and change your box to 4:3. Sorry, but you don't get to play in 16:9, have fun.

yall
10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
I understand that I will have black bars while in 16:9, and when i switch to 16:9 while in the dashboard, it looks fine (ie black bars on top and bottom, compressed middle etc.., but when i start the game, it switches back to regular screen (no black bars, regular resolution) what gives?

netranger6
10-11-2002, 11:25 AM
I don't know, that sounds weird. Maybe the game isn't written to support 16:9, and my set here (http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/ce/catalog/product.jhtml;jsessionid=EWBC10XKN4JUSCRQNE2RYVIKGBUCWHD0?divId=0&groupId=TV&catId=PROJTV&subCatId=55_64PROJDIGWIDESCREENTV&productId=46PP9302_37) is pure 16:9. Maybe this is the reason. However, there is no stretching on mine in 16:9 format, looks like the game is written for it. If I put the screen to 4:3 it looks fine, but looks fat in panorama mode and 4:3 expanded. My dashboard is set to widescreen. I really think it's the T.V. Why don't you set your dashboard to regular or 4:3, then select 16:9 once the game is running. Ohhh, are you running it into a HD input on your set?

yall
10-11-2002, 12:52 PM
if by hd input, you mean component, then yes. how do i switch it once the game is running? can i somehow get from the game to the xbox dash board? its not really that big of a deal, i'm just having trouble understanding why the tv will recognize the 16:9 signal from the xbox dashboard, and process it correctly, but not from the game. btw netranger, you have been quite helpful, so thank you.

Kleen
10-18-2002, 01:47 PM
With WEGA's you can set anything to 16:9 enhanced mode. The picture comes up much clearer & brighter. It's kind of sick (check out RalliSport). We you switch back to 4:3, the game lookd like crap (you're eyes need to readjust). It seems like the lines are an inch apart. I can't wait to get a real deal top-of-the-line HDTV.

yall
10-18-2002, 02:15 PM
how do you set it to 16:9 enhanced?

Kleen
10-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by yall
how do you set it to 16:9 enhanced?

It's in the menu, but not under video--it's a tab second from the last, I think. I can't remember what it's called and I can't check because I'm at work right now. I think it's "Basic" or "Setup." Why it's not on the video tab I don't know. Look down to the second half of the list and you should see 16:9 enhanced mode (something like that). Just toggle it on and the screen will squish and look pretty sick (hi-res). HALO looks much better this way, also. A little squished, but better.

I use Monster component video cables so this is the best it's gonna get until I go HDTV.

yall
10-18-2002, 03:01 PM
sweet. thanks man. i'll give it a try and let you know how it looks.