PDA

View Full Version : VGA adapter?

DenniZz81
11-12-2001, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know if there will be a vga adapter
so i can play on my pc monitor?:rolleyes:

Tazilla
11-12-2001, 01:58 PM
No, there will not be a VGA adapter from MS or third party for the Xbox,.. there are many devices that can convert a TV signel in a signal for your VGA Monitor, for close to 200 bucks,.. but it will not make the picture look any better.

Hugh_Jass
11-12-2001, 08:58 PM
If you get the HDTV AV Pack you can buy a component video to VGA adapter to display XBox at full HDTV resolution.

eLoup
11-12-2001, 11:49 PM
Hey guys. First of all, if you are accustomed to playing games on a VGA monitor – then yes, the game will probably look _muck_ better with an adapter, paying on your monitor. I personally have not played with AV -> VGA, however, I remember last year I tried out some PlayStation emulator on my PC and remember thinking how much better the game looked with it played on my monitor. Better color, crisper, and super fine resolution. It enhanced sprite based game a lot (played ZenoGears), but because the Playstation had a low texture count and polycount, it sort of was a drawback playing more 3D games (I tried Army Men with it). However, because of the tremendous graphics chip in X-box, I don’t think that’s going to be a problem AT ALL.

The one thing I’m still unclear is to what degree will VGA monitor users can have for resolution ???

Anyone know?

Regular TV AV signal is either 640x420 or 720x480 (4:3) NTSC
HDTV is 1027x980 or something like that (16:9) NTSC
So in theory, I would assume the X-Box could be set to 1024x768, since this is a lower resolution on both V-band and H-band than HDTV.

So will X-Box be able to output in this higher rez 4:3, or will we be stuck with NTSC TV resolution?

As for the $200 VGA converter, they’re not that expensive. Here is a link I’ve found for an adapter for $70. I’m pretty sure I can find an even lower priced one, and if I do, I’ll post it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/a-sonic/vgaboxmulcon.html

~

eLoup
Seattle

sinizuh
11-13-2001, 01:50 AM
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=0&products_id=639&

AV Converter... any AV device to your PC monitor.

Hugh_Jass
11-14-2001, 09:03 AM
I believe my suggestion will produce a higher quality image for less money than anything that transforms a composite video signal to VGA.

MagicChicken
11-29-2001, 10:32 PM
my studies take up too much time and having a job isn't an option so I'm trying to figure out how to get the best out of the xbox for the least..

I have an old 13" tv set and a 17" high quality computer monitor

if Hugh_Jass is right, I could use my monitor as a fake HDTV for merely the cost of the HDTV AV Pack and a Component video -> VGA adapter

THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

anyone tried it?

LynxFX
11-30-2001, 12:59 PM
If you do use a thirdparty tv capture device instead of direct component to vga breakout cable then use the program Dscaler to view the xbox. It has better scaling features than any of the other programs that you would use to view the image. If you go straight from the xbox to monitor with the cable (not exactly sure how that would look or if it is possible with most monitors) then your image would still be a low resolution of 720x480 or 640x480. Running the video into your pc then out to the monitor would let you scale it to higher resolutions which would look better.

I've done both but the image still looks better going straight to an HD source, either fp or HDTV via component.

l Maximus l
11-30-2001, 01:16 PM
I'm sitting just fine at the moment with my 36" Toshiba S-Video TV with my Advanced A/V Pack :D In the relatively near future, I smell a huge HDTV coming :D