PDA

View Full Version : Bad Predictions (from Computer Games Magazine)

bob808
10-04-2002, 08:28 PM
(excerpts from a colum entitled "Bad Predictions" written by Phil Steinmeyer for Computer Games magazine, Nov Issue, page 98)

"Xbox loses: Microsoft committed two fatal errors with the Xbox. First, it designed in an expensive hard drive that adds very little to gameplay and introduces fear among consumers about mechanical failure, viruses, and the like. The hard drive will prevent Microsoft from being as aggresive on pricing as it should be, and even with recent drops, the big M is losing a bundle on each Xbox sold. Second, with over $20 billion is cash in the bank, Microsoft nonetheless failed to purchase a single magor console publisher to ensure exclusive games for their system. With no "must have" games this Christmas to compete with the PS2's next Grand Theft Auto and Tomb Raider, and Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, Xbox will clearly slide into third place over the Christmas season, and enter into a slow Dreamcast-death spiral."

"Consoles' Internet Platforms Don't Catch On: Supposedly, the next big wave for consoles is Internet connectivity. All three console makers have big Internet plans fot this Christmas, but I just don't see very many console gamers going through the struggle of hooking their box to the Internet. Most people dont even have a phone jack behind their TV/console, much less the broadband connection they'll need for serious gaming. With no compelling content, no keyboard and mouse, and no hard drive (except the struggling Xbox), there's little to be gained by hooking a console to the Internet. If you want to play online role playing games, shooters, or any other 'net driven games, the PC will remain the only viable platform."

"PC Resurgence Begins: With the Xbox fading and the PS2 technology showing its age, PC games will have noticeably better graphics than consoles.................." (it continues)

Is this guy a dumb@ss of what!

Let all us XBOX gamers know what You think about Phil's "bad predictions"... But dont sue him IF he's wrong.....

XBOX RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nameless
10-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Actually, he made alot of valid points...

bob808
10-04-2002, 08:38 PM
"failed to purchase a single major console publisher...."
Well RARE maybe a game devoloper but "the bid M" still bought them, and of course Microsoft can publish wahtever titles they want.

Personally, I have a broadband connection in my entertainment center ready and waiting for XBOX LIVE baby!

XBOX 4-EVA!!!!!!!!

Nameless
10-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Your just a brainwashed Microsoft fanboy lol.
But I'll forgive you.
But they put in a hardrive which I have yet to hear about anything it does besides saving games. It is alo a very big system (I'm not bashing the size), with the year we live in it should be smaller and lighter, the size alone turns many people off of Xbox.

bob808
10-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Valid points?
Where?
"slow Dreamcast deat spiral?!> My @ss!
Appairantly, microsoft dosn't mind losing $$ on each Xbox they sell otherwise they would be selling them for $200.
Not aggressive on pricing?
Right. ok. Last time I checked, $200 was the price for a PS2 which far less of a gaming machine than the 'box. And Sony charges you $40 extra for the plug in modem which is already included with the xbox.
I dont know about you but I am not worried about Hard-drive falure, virusus, or the like. The addition of a built in hard drive was one of the reasons why I got an Xbox in the first place!
If sony ever comes out with treir hard-drive, they'll charge a pretty penny for that too. Not price competive my @ss! If they wern't price competive, why would they be losing money on all the xbox's they sell. The Xbox is the best console money can buy and for $200, Its a steal! You cant even make one for that cheap!

As for no compelling content for internet gameplay, How is Unreal Championship and Counterstrike for compelling.... what about star wars- galaxies? Not compelling? PC the only viable platform? I dont think so.

As for better graphics, I will give him that one although I would love to see xbox graphics on a HDTV. In my opinion PC's have had the edge on graphics for a while, but when it comes to ease of use, consoles have the PC's beat.

"no keyboard and mouse", Who needs 'em? The xbox communicator is going to kick but! Who wants to type when you can talk trash real time while playing the game.

"go through the struggle of hooking up" Sounds to me that he's talking about a compouter not an xbox. What is hard about pluging an ethernet cable into the back of an Xbox?

Valid points? Where?

LONG LIVE THE XBOX!!!!!!

killerclint
10-04-2002, 08:58 PM
what a bunch of BS!,,"the struggle of hooking up X-BOX to the net",,gee,,i think i can hook up one wire and type in my info no problem,,how bout you?,,the hardrive does alot more then saving games btw,.

Reclaimer
10-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Nameless
Actually, he made alot of valid points...

What points are valid?

First, it designed in an expensive hard drive that adds very little to gameplay and introduces fear among consumers about mechanical failure, viruses, and the like.

Show me an example where the onboard hard drive is a hinderance to gameplay. Specifically, a situation where the HD adds nothing to the game. Explain to me where games like Halo or Blinx would be better off without a hard drive. Mechanical failures and viruses? Is this a concern? Is there a consumer demographic that is legitamately worried that their Xbox will receive a virus or have it's HD fail? So concerned that they panned buying an Xbox for another console? That seems like a very biased opinion. Considering the likelyhood of receiving a virus on XB Live, or even XBC. I'm not saying it's impossiblewbut I know it would be a slimmer chance than your own computer to get a virus.

Second, with over $20 billion is cash in the bank, Microsoft nonetheless failed to purchase a single magor console publisher to ensure exclusive games for their system. With no "must have" games this Christmas to compete with the PS2's next Grand Theft Auto and Tomb Raider, and Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, Xbox will clearly slide into third place over the Christmas season, and enter into a slow Dreamcast-death spiral."
Hmm, Rare, Sega, this is only the begining. Games are popping out of the woodworks faster and faster. I'll admit that there needed to be more games on the scale of Halo when the system launched, but now everyone is catching up. It's 2 months till Christmas, even though no Halo 2 yet, there's ample time to get the next wave of games out there. I seriously doubt that with the release of XBox Live and the all the new games coming down the mountain, add the new price slash, and the future smaller consoles coming out, that the Xbox is going the way of the DC. Microsoft has the resources to remain a major player regardless of market conditions or product ranking. They have the resources to make changes in mid season and still comeout even.

Consoles' Internet Platforms Don't Catch On: Supposedly, the next big wave for consoles is Internet connectivity. All three console makers have big Internet plans fot this Christmas, but I just don't see very many console gamers going through the struggle of hooking their box to the Internet. Most people dont even have a phone jack behind their TV/console, much less the broadband connection they'll need for serious gaming. With no compelling content, no keyboard and mouse, and no hard drive (except the struggling Xbox), there's little to be gained by hooking a console to the Internet. If you want to play online role playing games, shooters, or any other 'net driven games, the PC will remain the only viable platform."
That is the most pathetic statement made ever. I don't think that the person making this article is even in the game industry. Online play is the next big thing and whatever company has the most robust, and easiest to use online layout, will be victorious. I think Xbox Live will be on top from what I see. You don't need a keyboard or mouse because this is not meant to replace your computer. Compelling content is on the way and I am starting to think that this article was published before any details on Xbox Live where known. It looks like the Xbox will be the easiest to hook up to the net. This will make PC Game company's wake up and produce even better games.

PC Resurgence Begins: With the Xbox fading and the PS2 technology showing its age, PC games will have noticeably better graphics than consoles.................." (it continues)
Xbox is here to stay regardless of what the nonebelievers think. Microsoft will make sure that it will be around for a long time. True that PC games will get better, they have to, if they want to keep their market from the growing console gaming market.

robnyack
10-04-2002, 09:05 PM
lol...this guy is a ****ing retard!

I'm not sure if I've ever read an article with so many wrong OPINIONS.

let's hope this genius kept his day job.

bob808
10-04-2002, 09:08 PM
I am an admitted fan of the Xbox because if the best video game console on the market. Brainwashed, no. I had a PS2 and 25+ games but I sold it because I am forever playing xbox. I think the hard drive will come into play when the Xbox goes Live. Downloadable content such as player rosters and new stadiums for sports games are a good example. Right now, you can use it to download cd's onto and listen to your own music while playing racing games and such. You try sticking all the cool hardware that is in an xbox into a game cube and let me know how it turns out.

bob808
10-04-2002, 09:13 PM
looks like Nameless has a spendy computer.....
NOW lets talk about aggressinv pricing... $400 for a video card?
anyone?

robnyack
10-04-2002, 09:15 PM
if the hard drive and internet connectivity is of little value for a game console, then why has ps2 for an additional $200 offering to turn the ps2 into a low grade cheap version of the xbox?

seems to me because they now understand where the future of console gaming lies. Unlike this dork.

bob808
10-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Sorry- Cant type. Keyboard too small- I am used to the xbox controller!!!
XBOX LIVE!

ZooLaBuS
10-04-2002, 10:30 PM
OMG! That guy is totally clueless and doesn't deserve to publish that junk! You can tell he hate MS Xbox.

I am never subscribing to that mag...

Dirtball7
10-04-2002, 10:49 PM
What do you expect..he's from Computer Games Magazine....an idiot nonetheless though....prolly scared his $1200 pc will get spanked by a $200 Xbox...and you're right about video cards, $400 one day, $100 six months later..who can afford to get a new system every three years to continue to play online with a PC..not I.

Jarvis
10-05-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Nameless
Your just a brainwashed Microsoft fanboy lol.
But I'll forgive you.
But they put in a hardrive which I have yet to hear about anything it does besides saving games. It is alo a very big system (I'm not bashing the size), with the year we live in it should be smaller and lighter, the size alone turns many people off of Xbox.

I guess downloadable content, mp3s of your own ripped music, caching load times, etc doesn't count with this guy for some reason?

Blinx is already showing the fact that you can do stuff on the xbox you just can't do on other systems. or look at morrowind.

the fact that you never run out of space (like crappy mem cards)?

go back to your ps2 forums man

-jarvis

Bigwig
10-05-2002, 12:52 AM
we should email this thread to CGM.

SPARTAN VI
10-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Does the writer of that article know what the hell he is talking about? Tomb Raider shouldn't even be named any paragraph where XBOX is also written. It almost infects things like that. TR is a dragged on series waiting for someone to " corner it, take aim, and kill it." They couldn't admit the greatness of UC, Halo 1( & 2 when it comes out),MechAssault, and other titles that are twice the game any of those titles named can ever be. Barely any valid points there, could this just be a show of their jealousy toward the XBOX?

I thought PC gamers would be able to relate with the XBOX better than the other two systems... I guess I was wrong...

Keltiks
10-05-2002, 03:17 AM
About that big hard drive. I think it is one of the best features. Custom sound tracks are friggin awesome. I was afraid games were not going to use them until I rented conflict desert storm yesterday. The game alone is a ton of fun but there is something about playing a 3rd person war game with your own soundtrack that amplifies the fun.

Bakeman
10-05-2002, 04:43 AM
also about the HD..

before I got a Xbox..

I read alot about it..

and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that games use the HD kinda like RAM

it uses the HD to store some info ahead of time so it has faster access to that info ..

Something along those lines... it's kinda late and I can't really think of how it was worded. Maybe someone can come along and word that better :)

evil xbox king
10-05-2002, 05:49 AM
Don't quote me on this but I think that you are trying to say that the Hard drive makes games load quicker. Once again, I'm not 100% certain.

Highlite23
10-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Some other predictions i have heard in the past.........

Controler is too big, turn off (supposedly to everyone, reality, NOT SO).........Controler S, problem solved.

Xbox will NEVER be able to deliver 200 titles by Xmas, I don't think i have to tell anyone the numbers.

When Sony goes on-line XBOX will be in immediate trouble, i don't know about you but PS2 online has pretty much been a silent issue everywhere.

And a slew of other little things, the HD, Viruses, Overheating, Explosions, falling on your cat and killing it.............GIVE ME A FREEKIN' BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!

If i was going to make a prediction as a writer for a PC Gaming Mag, it wouldn't be this one, he shows little professionalism in his comments. His article could have useed a fact or two.;)

kachingtensor
10-05-2002, 10:09 AM
Old Phil here is probably just looking for chops in the rabid anti-Microsoft PC elitist community. Because his conclusions otherwise don't make any sense at all.

Poor XBOX gamers -- the only folks who get it from jealous console fanboys and jealous PC fanboys. We must be doing something right. :D

Squidpie
10-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Why would anyone say that hooking broadband to the XBOX is hard?.... I did it to play Halo on XBC... anyone could hook the cable in the back. :confused:

The Xbox is by far the best console...I own all 3 and I can see where the Xbox comes out ahead.

odpr
10-05-2002, 11:47 AM
most of the article is a complete bull... it seems as if the writer has no clue on what is going in the xbox world, but he does have some point when it comes to games, if micorsft won't deliver a stunning game until cristmes, they are in big trouble, I really can't understand poeple that buy ps two today, it's very old system, has nothing in it, very slow, lame gfx. lame sound, no future...

the only thing that the xbox need is a good games, and not one that come to the pc, also stop with these first person shooter! every one will start to think that the xbox is just another computer!

we have enough of first person! it's time to make third, and make platform games as much as u can!

Woocifer
10-05-2002, 12:12 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks this but isn't Splinter Cell the most anticipated release coming up for Xbox? Isn't that an exclusive? Isn't that the game that seems to completely and imaginatively utilise the consoles resources to create something that is pushing the envelope?

Since when was time manipulation just 'another one of those things' that people have in games? Blinx may not be the best game, but it's exclusive and is pushing ahead to try new things.

What about Project Ego? How is that not pushing forwards to bigger and better RPG elements?

When has there ever been a driving title near the graphical quality of Rallisport(before the game of course)...and that's a game released in the first 6 months of the console being around....

Since when can you put your music in the background of quite a number of titles with the ease of the Xbox...and more importantly hold over 2000 songs and still have room for saved games...

The only problem I can see is that the developers are either just porting or just playing around with the system and forgetting the funfactor of a lot of games. But that's all right because now that they have figured out how to use the system, they can only improve.

The fact remains that the game console market is completely making the age of the Arcade completely dead. With peripherals and graphics better than most arcade machines there is no point to go pop quarters anymore. Now if that isn't a success or progress marker, I'm not sure what is. Yes PCs have and will have better graphics, that goes without saying due to the resources they have and use. TVs aren't made to be like monitors...

The controllers are perfectly fine, people whine...I don't listen. They are the most comfortable and solid controllers I've ever had...I've punched them numerous times and smashed them off tables :) They don't break so easy. At least mine haven't.

I find that the only thing this system has against it is that Microsoft is the creator. They should have come out under a new company name...left it to its own.

But seriously...no fanboyism, no flogging a dead horse...it's just a nice machine with weight and quality in every aspect you can find. Just because a tv is heavy doesnt mean it sucks...so whats the difference? Anyway the console is good, it has great potential to go further...leave it alone and let it grow ;)

Tinny
10-05-2002, 12:23 PM
*Sigh* Like many of you guys stated before, the hard drive is very useful. So useful infact, that there won't be Halo on the X-Box without it. The hard drive is the um the "unsung hero" of the gaming world and the guy that wrote the article and seems to root for PCs more than consoles... well he should have known that. Um I won't go into explaining the mechanics but in it's simple terms, the HD gives you much more memory for the developers to add more into the games and a buffer for the game to run. With that noted there really is no point in bothering with the rest of the article since the guy is obviously ill informed.

mahalan
10-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Guys, calm down.

The author of the article is obviously "talking his book". CGM specializes in COMPUTER games. For the past three years, game developers have been leaving computer game development in favor of standardized console platforms. This put CGM's market and livelihood at risk. Of course they're going to try and make people think that console gaming is fading and we're going to see a resurgence in computer games. I'll bet the railroads did the same thing when interstate highways began to be used by truck lines.

Getting an honest and unbiased assessment of console gaming from CGM is about as likely as getting an unbiased review of a Dodge truck from a Chevy dealer.

SPARTAN VI
10-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Heheh, weight and quality, more weight than other consoles too. AND MUCH MORE QUALITY!

But, Splinter Cell isn't a XBOX exclusive. I've heard that it is going to PC, PS2, and I don't know about the 'Cube. I really don't see how they will be able to render anything Splinter Cell on the PS2. Red Storm was saying how the XBOX's hardware really made Splinter Cell easy to make and great looking. PS2 doesn't have this hardware, how are they going to do all the SFX on it? It might end up looking lower res, lower texture detail and all.

Koopa
10-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
Heheh, weight and quality, more weight than other consoles too. AND MUCH MORE QUALITY!

But, Splinter Cell isn't a XBOX exclusive. I've heard that it is going to PC, PS2, and I don't know about the 'Cube. I really don't see how they will be able to render anything Splinter Cell on the PS2. Red Storm was saying how the XBOX's hardware really made Splinter Cell easy to make and great looking. PS2 doesn't have this hardware, how are they going to do all the SFX on it? It might end up looking lower res, lower texture detail and all.

yeah the demo disc had some norweigian- or dutch- or something- sounding developer guy talking about how awesome splinter cell is. if they can pull off splinter cell on a ps2 and make it look half as good as the xbox version, i'll be impressed:D the word on exclusivity has ranged from "Only on XBOX" to "better on xbox" to "on xbox first" so idunno...all that matters is that we get this sweet looking game!:cool: :D

as for the moron who did the article....the only reason he got away with it is because its a PC magazine...and i'm sure the xbox owners that subscribe will be writing some angry letters:D the only possssible valid point is that the whole online console thing may not be as big as MS is hyping it up to be...i know i'm really excited about it, but are casual gamers ready to make the jump to online consoles? i guess we'll wait...and...see.. IN ONE MONTH!

LynxFX
10-05-2002, 03:39 PM
As a self-declared hardcore PC gamer I can't help but :rolleyes: at this guy. Good grief.

Xbox size: Finally a console that doesn't feel like it is going to break when I touch it.
Controller size: See above plus it fits my hands perfectly!
Hard drive: Most revolutionary addition to consoles since the addition of more colors than a crayola box. Not only does it allow custom soundtracks, but the caching of the last three games you have played allow quicker loadtimes, games like Blinx are now possible (only on Xbox), realtime caching as well, downloadable content or addons, and no need for the countless (expensive)memory cards that plague other consoles.
Broadband only: Another hurray for MS. As for Live, it was the easiest online network I've ever connected to. Infact all I had to do was connect a cable and THAT'S IT. And I have a complicated home network. Troublesome my ass.
No Good Games: That could be said about every console and I think it is a blatent lie. Every game that has been made exclusively for the Xbox has been incredible. The games that have been made for the lowest common denominator *cough* PS2 *cough* and then ported to the Xbox get slammed. (yet they are great on the PS2 :rolleyes: ) The future list of Xbox games and exclusives are impressive and most can not be done on any other console.
Fear of Virus: This coming from a PC gamer??. Consoles are the most secure devices when it comes to a virus and having a harddrive doesn't change that.
PC Graphics surpass it: Funny but as of now the Xbox has the best graphics of any console. Of course the PC will surpass it graphically over the next years. That is the nature of the biz but it won't be by much and the Xbox will still be the only console to keep the gap small.
Extras: 480p for ALL games (except two lame ports Agent Under Fire and The Thing) Widescreen capable, DD 5.1 ingame decoding, HD capable including 720p and 1080i (ONLY on Xbox).
Communicator: Full duplex voice communication only on the Xbox. PS2's isn't full duplex meaning only one person can talk at a time, and they have to press another button to do so. Might as well type out your message.
Mouse & Keyboard: This is my only drawback to the Xbox. I really want a mouse and keyboard. Not for typing like many always asume a keyboard is for, but for comfortable, reliable control and the mouse for precision. Mostly just for FPS and RTS games. Everything else the controller fits like a glove.

Don't get me wrong, I love gaming on the PC and is probably my first choice in gaming but that guy needs to get a clue. Better yet, he needs to get an Xbox which it sounds like he has never touched.

kornavs19
10-05-2002, 05:02 PM
he does have valid points......
Quite frankly, im too lazy to hook up my Xbox to th computer and play online...It would be cool but i hink its too much work., . . . .:)

LynxFX
10-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by lmpbzktnkorn23
he does have valid points......
Quite frankly, im too lazy to hook up my Xbox to th computer and play online...It would be cool but i hink its too much work., . . . .:)
That is how you did it...preLive (or with system link games like Halo). With Live you just hook up the lan cable and you are set.

Knight
10-05-2002, 07:57 PM
And I was thinking of subscribing this magazine But not any more!!

Knight
10-05-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Woocifer
I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks this but isn't Splinter Cell the most anticipated release coming up for Xbox? Isn't that an exclusive?

No it's getting ported to the pc after it comes out for the XBox!!

evil xbox king
10-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Well it is exclusive against all other consoles so I guess that's a +

Anywho, I've read hundreds of articles by misguided people like the person from CGM, and I'm yet to find a valid reason why 'Xbox isn't as good as ________'

To the person who wrote the article at the begining of this topic: Here's 20 cents, go buy a clue.

Koopa
10-06-2002, 02:44 AM
Every game that has been made exclusively for the Xbox has been incredible.

hm i'm glad i bought blood wake and circus maximus, those were some GREAT exclusives:rolleyes: oh yeah, and enclave, which was supposed to be exclusive and have online and multiplay capabilities, was turned into a mediocre single player game thats going to be on gamecube.

but yeah other than that xbox exclusives are good, and future exclusives on XBL are making me drool(read: i must have UC, and mechassault, and ghost recon....NOW!)

SPARTAN VI
10-06-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Koopa

hm i'm glad i bought blood wake and circus maximus, those were some GREAT exclusives:rolleyes: oh yeah, and enclave, which was supposed to be exclusive and have online and multiplay capabilities, was turned into a mediocre single player game thats going to be on gamecube.

but yeah other than that xbox exclusives are good, and future exclusives on XBL are making me drool(read: i must have UC, and mechassault, and ghost recon....NOW!)

Me too! ME TOO! If enough XBOX owners signed on to XBL, then it would be a complete success. With the big 3 titles, it would be extremely hard to screw XBL up.

evil xbox king
10-06-2002, 03:09 AM
For a second their I thought Spartan VI has happy to buy Blood Wake and Circus Maximus. I almost had a heart attack!!!

Heavens Gate
10-06-2002, 07:59 AM
Expensive pricing??? You have to replace your pc every year. And what about those expensive vid cards. Or maybe buying a pc game only to find out it don't work with your setup. I have a high end pc and hardly EVER play games on it. Consoles will always be my #1 choice for gaming. I also agree that Xbox has alot of quality titles coming out finally. Remember the PS2??? It had very few titles for awhile. Microsoft isn't SEGA. Microsoft has money to invest and knew it would be a hill to climb out of the gate. I know Xbox's are selling like crazy here now since the release of DTR's Hitman2 and Desert storm. Our versions are better than PS2. Relax and enjoy the good things to come

odpr
10-06-2002, 10:32 AM
ms forget imp[ortent thing in order to success in the world u have to publish all the games all the time, what do I mean, if u take for example the pal world for asec, the only thing that is out there, and worth playing is dead or a live, now tell me if u where in the pal nation what will u buy ?!

it's not enough to release games in ntsc and say here we go!

u have to make it world wide...

what t I don't get why the hell it's taking them so much to transfer it to uk, if my mind doesn't play tricks on me , uk and us speak the same language.....

Snoopy7548
10-06-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Reclaimer 343
Hmm, Rare, Sega, this is only the begining.

and bungie! lol. and what major publishing companies have sony and nintendo bought? none.

XBOX Dude
10-06-2002, 12:09 PM
this guys bias i mean come on who hear is worried about their hd failing or getting a virues. slow death spin? hmmmm a no.
dreamcast sales died pretty much after it's release xbox is still goin strong. and it's got a hella great christmas line up, unreal, splinter cell, ghost recon, and that's just a few.