PDA

View Full Version : Today I played Unreal, Blinx and Splinter Cell in London at a public games show!

davex5647
10-05-2002, 12:05 PM
I just got back from the Games Matrix show in London, it's a tech show open to the public.

Xbox had a large stand there, and I was able to play Brute Force, Unreal Championship on Xbox LIVE, Splinter Cell, Blinx, Timesplitters 2 and loads of other games such as Tony Hawk's 4.

I just have to say OH MY GOD. This show was amazing. Splinter Cell is one of the best games I've played in years, Unreal Championship was amazing on LIVE, and Blinx was great.

Brute Force on the other hand, was buggy, average, and the co-op mode didn't work too well.

There were also three 4 Xbox LANs constantly playing Halo LAN games.

You can go too, but the last day is tommorow! It's at Earl's Court London and is part of the Stuff Live 2002 Technology show.

Got quite a few freebies, including a great Xbox DVD.

davex5647
10-05-2002, 12:06 PM
IMPRESSIONS!

Splinter Cell - More than lives up to the hype. The lighting effects are amazing, and so are the gadgets. I liked the way you can use the d-pad to switch between thermal imaging, nightvision and so on. It was also great that you could take enemies hostage, and then knock them out.

The level I played was the one we've seen in one of the trailers, with the prison cells, and you can jump up off the wall to the ceiling.

Blinx - It was good, but I only played the first three levels and they were very easy. I didn't really need to use the time functions much, so from what I played it was just another platformer. Still, a very good one at that.

Brute Force - Ho-hum, erm, well there seemed to be something wrong with it. Two pads were plugged in but throughout the whole day nobody could play together. It seemed to switch control randomly between joypads! In 2 player the graphics were rather bad indeed, and there was slowdown. A dissapointment.

Unreal Championship - Almost identical to UT2K3 on PC. The controls were good but very sensitive, and the voice chat worked a treaton Xbox LIVE. However, in 2 player split-screen there was some bad slowdown at times and the graphics weren't too pretty. It's still a must-buy in my opinion.

That's enough for now ;)

Tinny
10-05-2002, 12:32 PM
You *******! What time it opened tomorrow? I think I got to go into Central tommorow anyways so I'm going try to get to Earls Court. Any more precise locations for the X-Box stands for me? Oh and a list of all the games you can remember please. Thanks for the heads up. (Why the hell wasn't I informed about this?)

PS. So Brute Force is still a bit buggy? Good thing they pushed it back then. Better give us a quality game then a rushed job. Thanks for your brief reviews. Much appreciated.

davex5647
10-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Xbox Playable Games:
Unreal Championship (occassionally on XBox LIVE)
Moto GP (On Xbox LIVE)
Brute Force
Splinter Cell
Blinx
Timesplitters 2
Tony Hawk's 4
Quantum Redshift Racing
Crazy Taxi 3
Rocky
Halo (three 8-player LAN games running)
Plus loads of other Xbox games already released like Amped, DOA3 and so on

GC Playable Games:
Starfox: Dinosaur Planet
Eternal Darkness
Star Wars: The Clone War
Super Mario Sunshine
Tony Hawk's 4
Timesplitters 2
Die Hard

PC Playable Games:
Unreal Tournament 2003 LAN arena

This is only what I remember! The XBox stand is easy to find ;)

davex5647
10-06-2002, 06:40 AM
Heh, anybody else going?

Knight
10-06-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by davex5647

Brute Force on the other hand, was buggy, average, and the co-op mode didn't work too well.

Now you know why it was delayed(to fix the bugs and to make it a better game then it is now and to get the co-op working right)!!

chili325
10-06-2002, 09:06 AM
With the xtra time theyve given themselves do u think they should try to put live support into the game? I would rather wait a cuple of xtra months for a live game anyway.

Knight
10-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by chili325
With the xtra time theyve given themselves do u think they should try to put live support into the game? I would rather wait a cuple of xtra months for a live game anyway.

To add XBL support they would have to delay it more But if they can add it & it's fun it's ok with me!!

y2kash_14
10-06-2002, 09:47 PM
did you get to play Die Hard for GC?? Damn that game looks sweet