PDA

View Full Version : For those who are worried about Microsoft's marketing strategy...

Ebone
10-08-2002, 01:24 PM
I pulled this little tid bit off MSNBC.COM

Last holiday season Microsoft spent an estimated $500 million launching the Xbox with a promotional blitz that included the software giant’s chairman Bill Gates selling the first console to a fan in New York’s Times Square.
For an encore, Microsoft plans a whole series of new commercials scheduled to hit TV later this month, said John O’Rourke, worldwide marketing director for Xbox.
“The volume will be even louder than it was last year,” said O’Rourke, adding that the Microsoft was increasing its marketing investment this year.
Microsoft executives said earlier this year they would spend $2 billion developing and popularizing the Xbox over the next five years.
Xbox commercials will “let the games speak for themselves” by showing plenty of game footage, said O’Rourke. “It’s what consumers want to see. This year we’ve got games worthy of showing.”
By the end of the year buyers will be able to choose from over 200 Xbox titles, compared to only 18 when the platform launched last November.
He declined to comment on specifics of the ad campaign, although he said Microsoft will divide its marketing activities between advertising and promotional partnerships with key retailers such as Best Buy and Wal-Mart.
O’Rourke feels Microsoft has a “secret weapon” this year with Xbox Live, its online gaming product which lands in stores on Nov. 15.
For a one-time fee of $49.95 for a year’s subscription, Xbox Live will enable gamers to play against people all over the world through a high-speed Internet hookup. A monthly fee of $10 kicks in after the first year. Microsoft is promising 10 online games by the end of the year.
“That’s the big differentiater we have to talk about,” he said. “That’s our secret weapon in terms of building excitement and buzz.”

.....This is good news

Highlite23
10-08-2002, 04:29 PM
I can't wait for all of this to start. I trully think any seriouse gamer is going to have a hard time overlooking the XBOX this holiday season.;)

JimmieDoogan
10-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Yeah... where's the media blitz? Sony is ALL OVER the TV. I see a freakin PoS2 comercial every two bloody seconds (not an exaggeration, flip through the channels and just about every two seconds you'll see a LIVE IN YOUR WORLD, PLAY IN OURS commerical.) this is part of why Sony's evil crusty hands reach so many fanboy throats and minds, because they freakin BRAINWASH people, not because they have superiour products. MS needs to get off their duffs and start putting millions of commercials out there. Even if they are so rampant that people are disgusted. At least their going to be brainwashed (like all the sony fanboys, and I don't mean those who own all or two systems, but those who believe PS2 is the absolute best and are stupid enough to believe what Sony says about Grantruismo 3 only tapping 25% of it's power HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA). It's time for MS to start moving and stop talking. We need more consumer support. I've got buddies I was able to convert from Fanboy's to multisystem owners (you know gamers...). I'm a multisystem owner, and I believe that PoS2 is a good system, but by no means does it even begin to scratch the Xbox in terms of quality. I will not be taking my PoS2 online because I have to buy too much extra crap that's not worth it. With Xbox I don't have to buy anything but the Voice Com and even that's not really a big deal, plus it works with every game, I don't need to set up network support for EVERYSINGLE GAME because all I have to do is press the LIVE option and go on. Plus, I get all the other quirks and plus's Sony only wishes they could pump out. Downloads for Spliter Cell... no way could sony ever offer anything even CLOSE to that. any way... rant off... sorry, just got back from the hospital and i'm really doped up.

Slacker
10-08-2002, 05:01 PM
I saw a new Xbox Comercial today, it was with two old guys, riding tricked out electric old people carts, Also Rumor is the reason Extended play is on everday, is because MS popped some big money to Tech Tv, anyone Notice every week MS has a show on Tech TV which is basically a Long a$$ MS comercial, which features Games, so it has begun,

X-Ray
10-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Congrats Ebone. Research isn't a common thing on most message boards, but it's always appreciated. Props on a good find.

Ebone
10-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Hey thanks Xray

adzmullz1
10-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Well , i'm sad to say that there is ZERO advertising here in the UK . Not 1 commercial (ever) or even billboards . If Microsoft wants to truly have the best console , should'nt they be advertising EVERYWHERE like the PS2 does ???????????

Shorezy
10-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by highlite23
I can't wait for all of this to start. I trully think any seriouse gamer is going to have a hard time overlooking the XBOX this holiday season.;)

Amen man. BTW nice post dude. It's always great to see positive feedback on the box. I can't wait for all this to happend either!

Koolice98
10-09-2002, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they will do what they did last year. Start the new Ads during the world series, remember those weird xbox commericals? well im guessing there will be plenty, plenty xbox live commericials, splinter cell commercials, and of course biggest of all will be the UC comm. also mechassualt, they're gonna be everywhere

TheCovenant
10-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Thats a smart place to be lookin' for stuff.

I guess we have one of them bonafide geniuses on this thread!

HEY MA'! GET UNCLE-DAD IN HERE! I KNOW HE WANTS TO SEE HIM A GENIUS!

anyway, seriosly, props for the find.

Although, last year as i remember, xbox commercial didnt start going up till 2 weeks before launch.

I could only hope this year they start in october....even early nov.

I also cant wait to laugh in my friends face when he see's the UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP COMMERCIAL! ( he bugs me about the SOCOM:navy seals thing ).:)