PDA

View Full Version : Worried about the Xbox.....

dpg50000
10-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Ok, first post and I don't want to say anything too controversial.... However, I'm pretty worried about the prospects for the Xbox at present.

Basically, Microsoft seems to be losing the war big-time wih Sony. I've just read that NFS:Hot Pursuit 2 is actually inferior on the Xbox to the PS2 version ( less tracks etc ). The inference people were drawing was that EA were paid by Sony to make their version the best.

In addition, games such as Burnout 2 which I was really looking forward to have been cancelled ( applies also to the Gamecube version ) and it's now another PS2 exclusive. Datel have also quietly pulled the Xbox DVD region X from their website ( Codejunkies.com ) - a kick in the teeth for us U.K. Xbox owners.

On the bright side, Colin McRae 3 comes out at the end of this month... I'm not complaining too much about the choice of games, just that Sony seems to be trumping Microsoft in most areas ( especially as online play doesn't seem to be such a big deal in England ) and that shouldn't be happening!

Come on Microsoft, get your finger out.....

RudedogX
10-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Don't worry man! XBox has got things handled. It's already been documented that EA didn't actually build the PS2 version of Need 4 Speed 2, while they did build it for the XBox and Gamecube. So that is EA's fault. As for the online...I'm sure it's not big there yet, but once they're up, I can't imagine the plan not to become a huge success! It sounds like you're really into the Racing Titles, and if that's the case, then I am pretty sure that there are some pretty big titles coming up around the corner (and some of them are on XBox Live)! So, don't start your worryin' yet, this is MS we're talkin' about and they're all about business when it comes to their products...It will definetly start to look better for you.

Duke
10-09-2002, 12:38 PM
don't sweat it dgp. Yes, Xbox is not selling as well as PS2, but everyone (including MS) knew that from the get-go.

As far as EA putting out a superior game for PS2 refer to the above post and also remember that EA has more or less committed to Sony over MS.

I don't really know why online play isn't as big a deal over the pond, but remember that it is the future of gaming.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I was gonna make a longer reply, but ADD and all..............

RudedogX
10-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
I was gonna make a longer reply, but ADD and all..............

Damn man, you have that too?!? Where can I get some? I feel so left out!:D

mmichael0
10-09-2002, 01:05 PM
lol , I think On-Line gameing is not takeing off over in Europe is becasue the lack of Broadband & the cost of it. ( mostly about £30 per month & from £60 to £250 to set up I think )

When the Dreamcast was out , a lot of the on-line games for it , came out in Europe with out the on-line added ( I think Quake or Unreal but I have a US copy of Quake III ) & no Broadband Adapter came out in Europe.
( I did hear that there was not many for the US)

IMHO

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Why are you talking about the Dreamcast? Sega isn't making the xbox, Microsoft is. Trust me, Live will be going to europe and it will be huge. All you euro's will be soo ****ed off with sony's crappy ass plan that everyone will jump over to the xbox. I am predicting that to happen to online gamers in North America and the rest of the world too. Turst me, XBOX LIVE is amazing. I know, I have played it, I am one of the few, the proud, the beta testers!
:cool:
Dun dundundun, dun dun dun dunna...

Oh, sorry, I was kinda getting carried away there.
:)

Duke
10-09-2002, 01:25 PM
-adds merrimachamwich on his list of beta testers to murder.

nothing personal, just pure jealousy

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Hehe!:D

mmichael0
10-09-2002, 02:02 PM
I have got the X-Box but there one reason I am not geting X-Box Live - I have not got Broadband access & for me to get Broadband I need to change telephone compays (NTL to BT ) , pay a set up cost of £250 (I think ) & then £30 per month + £10 to £20 for the phone which I am geting for nothing with my Cable TV service (NTL). (£18 per month + £15:99 per month for AOL Flat Rate ).

X-Box Live may be great but it not going to make me better off or boast my income which it will have to do for me to get Broadband to get X-Box Live.

Steve1987
10-09-2002, 03:33 PM
If you already have cable tv then you should be able to get broadband through cable too. And if you order it soon, you will get 1mb for £30 until the end of the year (i think). If not, then check if you can get adsl, sure you will have to change over to a BT phoneline, but i got ADSL of Zen for £50 setup fee, and then £30 month after. And it's well worth the money, even though the UK is well behind in terms of speed, 512k adsl seems bloody fast to me and i would never go back to dial up.

Only problem, is that BT being a dumbass company gives USB modems, and so do most UK Isp's. So you either get the USB modem, and then buy the adapter BT are releasing later on for Xbox Live. Or do what i did and buy a Adsl router/modem. Cost me £120 but was well worth it as i can have 4 people online at the same time, and just plug my xbox straight in! :cool:

Now i just want them to start selling the Beta kit! :eek:

robnyack
10-09-2002, 06:14 PM
one word for all you worried xbox gamers.......

XBOX LIVE

ok, it's 2 words, but you get the idea. ps2 and gc have nothing that even compares to what you non-beta testers have yet to experience. Trust me, it is awesome.

oddworld20-3000
10-09-2002, 08:02 PM
Kid don't worry wait until xbox release their really good games such as: Halo 2, Unreal Championship, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 2 you get the point.

evil xbox king
10-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by oddworld20-3000
Kid don't worry wait until xbox release their really good games such as: Halo 2

Um, Halo 2 isn't due out for over a year...

MerimacHamwich
10-11-2002, 12:14 AM
You cannot go to the store and buy a Beta Kit. You have to be chosen to be a Beta Tester. Microsoft will realease a Starter Kit on Nov. 15th in North America and a similiar thing will be released in the UK. The BETA Kit is strictly for testing so that when xbox live is up it works great.

Afro Aura
10-12-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by dpg50000

I'm not complaining too much about the choice of games, just that Sony seems to be trumping Microsoft in most areas ( especially as online play doesn't seem to be such a big deal in England ) and that shouldn't be happening!

Come on Microsoft, get your finger out.....
ok your right Sony is still on top off things at the MOMENT but just look at the games coming out for this machine for the end of the year. I've just got my US OXM and on the disk there was a fantastic demo of Panzer Dragoon, awesome movie of Ninja Gaiden, House of the Dead 3 and wait until you see DoA Beach Volleyball so yeah don't worry about the XBOX

I ain't

and your comment about XBOX Live is a bit misleading as I signed up to play the XBOX online (I was wandering if I should have it or not for my PC and I'm so glad I've had it done) I aslo have a lot of friends who are all waiting for the XBOX Live to come into action, so yes in England they are all ready for this

now when the hell is that PSO 2 coming out

mmichael0
10-12-2002, 09:16 AM
1. I can not get NTL : Home Broadband where I live.
2.I pay £18 for my phone /TV + £15:99 for AOL.
or with Broadband it will be £30 per month Broadband + £10 for BT phone line + £18 for TV from NTL.
Not worth the money just to play games on.
Dial up may be slow but it's cheap.

Originally posted by Steve1987
If you already have cable tv then you should be able to get broadband through cable too. And if you order it soon, you will get 1mb for £30 until the end of the year (i think). If not, then check if you can get adsl, sure you will have to change over to a BT phoneline, but i got ADSL of Zen for £50 setup fee, and then £30 month after. And it's well worth the money, even though the UK is well behind in terms of speed, 512k adsl seems bloody fast to me and i would never go back to dial up.

Only problem, is that BT being a dumbass company gives USB modems, and so do most UK Isp's. So you either get the USB modem, and then buy the adapter BT are releasing later on for Xbox Live. Or do what i did and buy a Adsl router/modem. Cost me £120 but was well worth it as i can have 4 people online at the same time, and just plug my xbox straight in! :cool:

Now i just want them to start selling the Beta kit! :eek:

Highlite23
10-12-2002, 09:23 AM
here's a little song i wrote, you might want to sing it note for note, don't worry, be happy....................

Fear not young XBOXer........Rare left Nintendo, Capcom's miffed at Sony, XBOX LIVE is around the corner, and a truck load of games are on the way............

Now take a deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath, in , out, in, out.........and go enjoy your XBOX.;)

robnyack
10-12-2002, 09:45 AM
amazing how perceptions can rule over facts. This from the October issue of PLAY magazine:

It's become a play of ritual of sorts reporting the strides Microsoft continues to enjoy behind their Xbox brand, of which July saw many. With xbox patrons coming by way of the Dreamcast to enjoy the blue-blue skies of exclusive Sega wares like "Shenmue II", "Panzer Dragoon Orta", "ToeJam and Earl III", "Gun Valkyrie", "Sega GT", "House of the Dead" and "Jet Set Radio Future", we get a lot of questions regarding the state of the xbox progress, and Microsoft is always forthcoming with these results, so here's a slew of factoids as of August:

In the 3 months since the price declines, Xbox continues to have the largest gain on a percentage basis (Xbox +84%, PS2 +75%, and GC +71%)

After 9 months in the market, Xbox has sold 11 million units of software in the USA, the most ever during the first 9 months for a new console

the current Xbox attach rate of 4.3 is the highest of all the consoles after 9 months in the market (PS2 3.2 and GC 3.7)

Xbox continued the strong momentum in July, taking 21% of console sales and outselling GC by 40% over the past 3 months

In july, Xbox sold 55% more software than GC

Xbox had 2 titles (Halo and NCAA Football 2003) in the overall console Top 10 in July, while GC did not have any on the list

To date, third party publishers have sold 47% more software on Xbox than on the GC.

Halo returned to the #1 Xbox title in July, attaching at 55% to the new Xbox console sales

Xbox currently has over 100 titles in the market and will have over 200 by the end of the year

Not bad for a "dying game console", eh? So, quite yer worryin' and HAVE SOME FUN!! Let Microsoft worry about this stuff....I have a feeling they have got the situation under control.

Afro Aura
10-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
Not bad for a "dying game console", eh? So, quite yer worryin' and HAVE SOME FUN!! Let Microsoft worry about this stuff....I have a feeling they have got the situation under control.
Yep I agree with that too HAVE FUN!!!, just bought myself Sega Soccer Slam and it's a riot, easy to get into and great playing with friends:D